THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
I felt exactly the same.

Still do when it comes to that particular period in our history. I even trace it back a couple of years earlier when the club in it's infinite insanity sacked Tony Jewell just one season after winning the flag.
Yep that has to be hands down the dumbest decision the club has ever made...
Why did the club sack Hafey, that is when the decline started.

Aeons

Oct 1, 2017
W
The Melb vs Bulldogs game is a chance for Wednesday night for round 1. Would be interesting to see how that goes.

Thursday night isn't that great to attend either with work (or kids going to school) the following day, but at least you can "power" through one day for the weekend.
What I do like about that is that at the end of the round one of the grand finalists will be on the bottom half of the ladder....best.

Power Play

Oct 8, 2017
So whats the AFL going to do next year when we're once again reigning premiers?
Because as certain as the sun comes up.Carlton won't be anywhere near the first day in Sept let alone the last.

Carlton and Essendon supporters seem to be optimistic about winning premierships again in the near future, going by the responses to my thread on the main board.

In my opinion, both clubs are still a fair way off from being premiership contenders. I remember in 2016 there was discussion regarding whether Carlton, Essendon or Richmond would win a flag next before the others do.

Fast forward to 2021, and while we have won three flags since then, neither Carlton or Essendon are any closer to winning a premiership now than what they were in 2016.

Both clubs are rebuilding, but what are they rebuilding from? Carlton are still rebuilding from their 1999 preliminaryship, while Essendon aren't officially rebuilding as such, rather they're spinning their wheels as a mid table side being talked up as being ready to have a breakout year, after winning the draft and trade week of course.

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
That was Melbourne and Norm Smith all over again.

Although we did recover enough to win the '80 flag. Then of course the morons in charge of the club couldn't make Francis Bourke coach fast enough. Had Tony Jewell been left to coach who knows how it would have turned out.

That was Melbourne and Norm Smith all over again.

Although we did recover enough to win the '80 flag. Then of course the morons in charge of the club couldn't make Francis Bourke coach fast enough. Had Tony Jewell been left to coach who knows how it would have turned out.

Should have promoted Sheeds. But back then I don't reckon the RFC would have dealt with his unique brand of insanity well.

Ceehook

Oct 3, 2017
Carlton and Essendon supporters seem to be optimistic about winning premierships again in the near future, going by the responses to my thread on the main board.

In my opinion, both clubs are still a fair way off from being premiership contenders. I remember in 2016 there was discussion regarding whether Carlton, Essendon or Richmond would win a flag next before the others do.

Fast forward to 2021, and while we have won three flags since then, neither Carlton or Essendon are any closer to winning a premiership now than what they were in 2016.

Both clubs are rebuilding, but what are they rebuilding from? Carlton are still rebuilding from their 1999 preliminaryship, while Essendon aren't officially rebuilding as such, rather they're spinning their wheels as a mid table side being talked up as being ready to have a breakout year, after winning the draft and trade week of course.
us and Dogs have probably given hope that you leap into finals and premiership calculations with the 2016 & 17 flags from seemingly nowhere

for the bombers the Worsfold Rutten partnership didn't work , this year the Rutten/ Carrasella partnership does look like its worked
they only have a bare handful of players from the drugs saga and they are lesser lights to deal with
they have changed the way the bombers play , they are mainly a young excited group and like our 2017 could make a jump up the ladder next year
with the bombers I think it is a game style we would have to neuteralise

lots to laugh about with the Blues, their list management , the way they treat coaches , but I'm sure the Tigers footy dept. would be studying them closely
I think Wietering is boardering on becoming one of the games really good tall defenders
and big Harry can look dynamite one game and look like a goose the next
they have a good pair in the mids with Walsh and Cripps

if that core start the season well then Saad , Zac Williams, Marchbank might then click and they have a good defense
a new coach can revitalise a side for a season and Voss will be desperate to succeed and will hit the ground running and energise the place
I do like the look of De Koning , and they would need him and another couple of unknown youngsters to have breakout years

I wouldn't be expecting top 4 for them but the vibe around the club can change
With the Blues I believe we'd have to neutralise individual players to beat them , but who knows what Voss will bring

we need them to believe , it makes beating all the more enjoyable

but of course I like our prospects more :)

May 8, 2007
How damn good is this

20211202_225933.jpg

20211202_225915.jpg

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
Abers
I wouldn't say that was the start of the decline. I mean, we won again in 1980. Just GR at work. Started doing to coaches what they did to players. Eat (your own) em alive

Power Play

Oct 8, 2017
us and Dogs have probably given hope that you leap into finals and premiership calculations with the 2016 & 17 flags from seemingly nowhere

for the bombers the Worsfold Rutten partnership didn't work , this year the Rutten/ Carrasella partnership does look like its worked
they only have a bare handful of players from the drugs saga and they are lesser lights to deal with
they have changed the way the bombers play , they are mainly a young excited group and like our 2017 could make a jump up the ladder next year
with the bombers I think it is a game style we would have to neuteralise

lots to laugh about with the Blues, their list management , the way they treat coaches , but I'm sure the Tigers footy dept. would be studying them closely
I think Wietering is boardering on becoming one of the games really good tall defenders
and big Harry can look dynamite one game and look like a goose the next
they have a good pair in the mids with Walsh and Cripps

if that core start the season well then Saad , Zac Williams, Marchbank might then click and they have a good defense
a new coach can revitalise a side for a season and Voss will be desperate to succeed and will hit the ground running and energise the place
I do like the look of De Koning , and they would need him and another couple of unknown youngsters to have breakout years

I wouldn't be expecting top 4 for them but the vibe around the club can change
With the Blues I believe we'd have to neutralise individual players to beat them , but who knows what Voss will bring

we need them to believe , it makes beating all the more enjoyable

but of course I like our prospects more :)

I despise both Carlton and Essendon almost equally, but unfortunately, I have a feeling Carlton are finally turning the corner, thanks to their new CEO in Brian Cook.

Cook has came out and said Carlton still have a long way to go in their rebuild, and this attitude from Cook is the opposite of what Carlton have been about these past two decades, as I'm sure you would do well to remember the likes of Sticks coming out and talking up Carlton's prospects year after year.

I hope to be proven wrong in regards to Carlton, and I hope they continue to spin their wheels like they've done since winning their 1999 preliminaryship.

Essendon, on the other hand, have done nothing to show they've learned from their hubris over the past two decades, and I don't see how their current side is any different to the sides they've fielded under Knights, Hird and Worsfold over the years, in that they've been mid table sides spinning their wheels who get talked up by the media on a yearly basis, as being a bolter from mid table mediocrity to premiership contender.

Essendon are easy to predict for season 2022, with my prediction being they'll continue to spin their wheels as a middle of the road side, with their ceiling being an 8th placed finish and a first week finals exit, at the hands of the 5th placed side.

Carlton are a bit harder to predict, in my opinion their key forward duo of Curnow and McKay has the potential to dominate and win games, with Cripps, Walsh, Hewitt and Cerra forming what could be a dangerous midfield quartet. However, I don't really rate Voss as a coach, and I hope Voss holds Carlton back from reaching their potential, just as Ratten did a decade ago.

Brian Cook and Mick Malthouse were on the same page at West Coast from when they both joined the Eagles, and it saw a successful decade for West Coast. Similar happened with Brian Cook and Mark Thompson at Geelong, as it saw a successful decade for Geelong. I rate Cook highly, and if anyone is to turn Carlton around, it's him.

Peter Jackson turned Melbourne around from rabble to juggernaut, Brendon Gale turned Richmond around from rabble to juggernaut, and I feel as though Brian Cook is going to turn Carlton from rabble to juggernaut. As I said though, I absolutely despite Carlton and I hope to be proven wrong in regards to them, but I'm not confident they'll remain a rabble for much longer.

I despise both Carlton and Essendon almost equally, but unfortunately, I have a feeling Carlton are finally turning the corner, thanks to their new CEO in Brian Cook.

Cook has came out and said Carlton still have a long way to go in their rebuild, and this attitude from Cook is the opposite of what Carlton have been about these past two decades, as I'm sure you would do well to remember the likes of Sticks coming out and talking up Carlton's prospects year after year.

I hope to be proven wrong in regards to Carlton, and I hope they continue to spin their wheels like they've done since winning their 1999 preliminaryship.

Essendon, on the other hand, have done nothing to show they've learned from their hubris over the past two decades, and I don't see how their current side is any different to the sides they've fielded under Knights, Hird and Worsfold over the years, in that they've been mid table sides spinning their wheels who get talked up by the media on a yearly basis, as being a bolter from mid table mediocrity to premiership contender.

Essendon are easy to predict for season 2022, with my prediction being they'll continue to spin their wheels as a middle of the road side, with their ceiling being an 8th placed finish and a first week finals exit, at the hands of the 5th placed side.

Carlton are a bit harder to predict, in my opinion their key forward duo of Curnow and McKay has the potential to dominate and win games, with Cripps, Walsh, Hewitt and Cerra forming what could be a dangerous midfield quartet. However, I don't really rate Voss as a coach, and I hope Voss holds Carlton back from reaching their potential, just as Ratten did a decade ago.

Brian Cook and Mick Malthouse were on the same page at West Coast from when they both joined the Eagles, and it saw a successful decade for West Coast. Similar happened with Brian Cook and Mark Thompson at Geelong, as it saw a successful decade for Geelong. I rate Cook highly, and if anyone is to turn Carlton around, it's him.

Peter Jackson turned Melbourne around from rabble to juggernaut, Brendon Gale turned Richmond around from rabble to juggernaut, and I feel as though Brian Cook is going to turn Carlton from rabble to juggernaut. As I said though, I absolutely despite Carlton and I hope to be proven wrong in regards to them, but I'm not confident they'll remain a rabble for much longer.

Unfortunately I agree with you re Cook.

But the same old same olds are still at Carlton running the joint. And we know that the powerbrokers at a club can make it succeed or ruin it. I so hope that they work against Cook and continue the strategy of ignoring the evidence that high quality long term planning and management succeed and continue trying to quick fixes and dodgy culture.

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers

Power Play

Oct 8, 2017
Unfortunately I agree with you re Cook.

But the same old same olds are still at Carlton running the joint. And we know that the powerbrokers at a club can make it succeed or ruin it. I so hope that they work against Cook and continue the strategy of ignoring the evidence that high quality long term planning and management succeed and continue trying to quick fixes and dodgy culture.

Hopefully, the likes of Bruce Mathieson and Jeannie Pratt continue on with their "We are Carlton, F*** the rest!" mentality, and their lack of patience for success, clashes with Brian Cook's vision of more rebuilding to do, with a lot of work to be done still.

Essendon are the club in which I know I can always rest easy about, knowing for a fact they're going nowhere, sitting in the same spot spinning their wheels, while they continue to believe they're only a few trades and draft picks away from bolting into premiership contention, year after year.

I can see the coterie groups calling for Rutten's head in a couple of years, and Rutten receiving the same poor treatment Knights did.

Essendon are probably the biggest darlings of the AFL media, and this is a major reason why we won't see any significant changes made at Essendon, because the media don't hold the club accountable, as they'd rather stick with the same old script of pumping up Essendon's tyres, knowing it never fails to sell papers and make news headlines.

Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood are the three clubs I hate with a passion, but I rest easy knowing full well Essendon aren't relevant, nor are they any sort of threat, while knowing this isn't going to change any time soon.

Collingwood, I've absolutely loved watching them implode ever since the 2018 grand final, and I rest easy knowing they aren't going to be relevant, nor are they going to be any sort of threat for a long time.

Carlton, I'm fairly certain they'll become relevant again before Collingwood and Essendon, but as I mentioned, I hope the likes of Mathieson and Pratt ruin what Brian Cook is setting out to achieve, which is Carlton becoming a relevant football club again.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
Hopefully, the likes of Bruce Mathieson and Jeannie Pratt continue on with their "We are Carlton, F*** the rest!" mentality, and their lack of patience for success, clashes with Brian Cook's vision of more rebuilding to do, with a lot of work to be done still.

Essendon are the club in which I know I can always rest easy about, knowing for a fact they're going nowhere, sitting in the same spot spinning their wheels, while they continue to believe they're only a few trades and draft picks away from bolting into premiership contention, year after year.

I can see the coterie groups calling for Rutten's head in a couple of years, and Rutten receiving the same poor treatment Knights did.

Essendon are probably the biggest darlings of the AFL media, and this is a major reason why we won't see any significant changes made at Essendon, because the media don't hold the club accountable, as they'd rather stick with the same old script of pumping up Essendon's tyres, knowing it never fails to sell papers and make news headlines.

Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood are the three clubs I hate with a passion, but I rest easy knowing full well Essendon aren't relevant, nor are they any sort of threat, while knowing this isn't going to change any time soon.

Collingwood, I've absolutely loved watching them implode ever since the 2018 grand final, and I rest easy knowing they aren't going to be relevant, nor are they going to be any sort of threat for a long time.

Carlton, I'm fairly certain they'll become relevant again before Collingwood and Essendon, but as I mentioned, I hope the likes of Mathieson and Pratt ruin what Brian Cook is setting out to achieve, which is Carlton becoming a relevant football club again.
pratt is no longer on the board. thought there may have been a conflict with cook and mr pokies over pokies but the way cook has been speaking i don't think he's up for the fight on that issue

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,