Player Watch Patrick Lipinski

Can someone remind me again why we think Lipinski is a good get? I'm not getting the vibe. He left the Dogs...because the midfield was hard to break into?

Sorry Jen2310, I know you're keen on him.

I'm more excited about our own Macrae and desperate to see how McInnes goes in our evolving 2022 midfield. And then of course there's ND. But otherwise I'm feeling a bit meh about Lippa.

He has great endurance, clean, has perfect kicking and disposal skills, good contest work. He also bridges the gap between senior and the kids.

What’s not to love 🤷‍♀️
He has hunger and drive like he needs to prove himself. He will be a great get for us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He has great endurance, clean, has perfect kicking and disposal skills, good contest work. He also bridges the gap between senior and the kids.

What’s not to love 🤷‍♀️
He has hunger and drive like he needs to prove himself. He will be a great get for us.

Bridging the gap is good. We need that.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood

What’s not to love 🤷‍♀️

Agreed - a ready to go polished midfielder in exactly the age group we need.

What’s not to love 🤷‍♀️

But…if he’s that good, why wasn’t he a regular in the Dogs senior team?

I’ll let myself out, as I don’t want to put a dampener on this thread. Hope he goes very well for us.:thumbsu:

I’ll let myself out, as I don’t want to put a dampener on this thread. Hope he goes very well for us.:thumbsu:
Who would you replace from that dogs midfield? Just stacked, was just unfortunate thats all. It happens, good players get pushed out when a team has a star studded line up.
It'll benefit us 100% WHat is someone's loss is someone else's gain.

He'll be the senior player amongst our coming of age youth once sidebottom/Pendles retire in our new look midfield.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood

Perhaps not viewed as favorably as other mids?

It wouldn't be the first time a perfectly serviceable player was sidelined for perceived inadequacies in comparison to others in the same positional rotation.

And it certainly won't be the last.

Abdul_The_Bull

All Australian
Aug 3, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Who would you replace from that dogs midfield? Just stacked, was just unfortunate thats all. It happens, good players get pushed out when a team has a star studded line up.
It'll benefit us 100% WHat is someone's loss is someone else's gain.

He'll be the senior player amongst our coming of age youth once sidebottom/Pendles retire in our new look midfield.

Fair point. I see Lipinski and Krueger in a similar light. They both appear to be highly talented and were both deprived of opportunities at the previous respective clubs because of existing, and established, talent. Normally that's not necessarily a positive but given that each team played finals doesn't mean that each player is deficient. From what I have seen (and I acknowledge that that's been limited) I like what I see and fully expect that they will both be best 22 players in no time.

Fair point. I see Lipinski and Krueger in a similar light. They both appear to be highly talented and were both deprived of opportunities at the previous respective clubs because of existing, and established, talent. Normally that's not necessarily a positive but given that each team played finals doesn't mean that each player is deficient. From what I have seen (and I acknowledge that that's been limited) I like what I see and fully expect that they will both be best 22 players in no time.
Yeah, Lippa will play every game when fit. That's the consensus. Krueger too I think starts. With Lippa at least he has come to pre-season early to make an impression, even though, he isn't a 1-4 year player and wouldn't have to.

Mar 5, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Perhaps not viewed as favorably as other mids?

It wouldn't be the first time a perfectly serviceable player was sidelined for perceived inadequacies in comparison to others in the same positional rotation.

And it certainly won't be the last.

Crisp is an example that comes to mind.

Tom Mitchell wasn't a regular in the swans midfield. Neither was Josh Kennedy at the hawks, who ironically ended up keeping Mitchell out at the swans. Dogs are so stacked that at times they played one of their best mids (Dunkley) as a ruckman.

Hopefully it ends up a Heath Scotland type situation. He was a bloody good player for Carlton after being a fringe player in a good team. But it can go the other way too - a fringe player looks better than they are as their games have been in a good team. I'm a bit wary, because the Dogs flick the ball around so much that they all end up with decent stats.

Mollythedolly

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agreed - a ready to go polished midfielder in exactly the age group we need.

It’s that “ready to go” aspect that I think is most questionable. Managed 56 games in his 5 years at the Dogs and his games/season going the wrong way (2017-1, 2018-17, 2019-14, 2020-13, 2021-11). Everything crossed it’s lack of continuous opportunity holding him back and he’s ready to explode.

Mollythedolly

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yeah, Lippa will play every game when fit. That's the consensus. Krueger too I think starts. With Lippa at least he has come to pre-season early to make an impression, even though, he isn't a 1-4 year player and wouldn't have to.

I hope we reward pre-season form. If that means McInnes and Begg get selected ahead of Lipinski and Kreuger then so be it.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s that “ready to go” aspect that I think is most questionable. Managed 56 games in his 5 years at the Dogs and his games/season going the wrong way (2017-1, 2018-17, 2019-14, 2020-13, 2021-11). Everything crossed it’s lack of continuous opportunity holding him back and he’s ready to explode.
That incredibly stacked midfield in front of him is a very good reason for his lack of exposure - don't forget it's not just the players but the midfield group - playing as a whole with almost instinctual knowledge of where to run and where to pass that stood in front of him.

He has the game I will wait to see how he handles the opportunity before talking him down.

That incredibly stacked midfield in front of him is a very good reason for his lack of exposure - don't forget it's not just the players but the midfield group - playing as a whole with almost instinctual knowledge of where to run and where to pass that stood in front of him.

Looks good to me, but time will tell. A really good midfield makes it bloody hard to get a game, but it also can make fringe players look better than they are - when they do get a game. When Essendon were good, Sheedy used to sell his fringe players for way overs for the latter reason.

I hope we reward pre-season form. If that means McInnes and Begg get selected ahead of Lipinski and Kreuger then so be it.
And they will. But Begg isn't ready, has only played a couple scratch matches.

But don't think there is anyone who doesn't have Lippa in their best 22 for 2022. But pre-season games should be interesting.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looks good to me, but time will tell. A really good midfield makes it bloody hard to get a game, but it also can make fringe players look better than they are - when they do get a game. When Essendon were good, Sheedy used to sell his fringe players for way overs for the latter reason.
No argument - all you can do is look at the basics - he has them, so at worst he would be a solid soldier.

Once separated from that midfield the acid test will come.

No argument - all you can do is look at the basics - he has them, so at worst he would be a solid soldier.

Once separated from that midfield the acid test will come.

He can kick for a start. Sorely lacking for us. What's he like in the air? If the mid/forward role doesn't work out, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to turn him into a back half distributor.

He can kick for a start. Sorely lacking for us. What's he like in the air? If the mid/forward role doesn't work out, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to turn him into a back half distributor.
Wright did say he was versatile. Could play mid. forward or even half back.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I do think barring injury or terminal JDG's he will make it in one capacity or the other with us, seems to have too much going for him to miss out.

I do think barring injury or terminal JDG's he will make it in one capacity or the other with us, seems to have too much going for him to miss out.
Just feels like he is gonna be real suited to the G with his running capacity. Wright said the same thing. Combine that with good skills, elite by foot and disposal. That alone is more than enough.

Mollythedolly

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood

He has the game I will wait to see how he handles the opportunity before talking him down.

Yet that incredibly stacked midfield managed to squeeze Treloar into it for 16 or 17 games this year. And previous years players like Libba haven’t been available. Yet Lipinski’s still struggled to gain midfield rotations.

I guess I’m a little jaded by shiny new toys that don’t deliver to expectations, we’ve had a lot of them over the years.

Has my full support and hopefully he delivers.

Last edited:

Mollythedolly

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
And they will. But Begg isn't ready, has only played a couple scratch matches.

But don't think there is anyone who doesn't have Lippa in their best 22 for 2022. But pre-season games should be interesting.

I was just using Begg as an example, could just as easily be Johnson or Kelly.

I’m yet to hear McRae or Wright nominate their best 22 so I’m happy to wait for them.

Back