Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 4 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darcy Moore is a FA this year....... we were keen last time.

IMO a league wide top 10 player. IF we can get him (requires $1M a year?), we will lose someone we would prefer to keep due to salary cap problems. I would still go for it anyway. Moore can intercept, run and deliver 55m downfield. He is two players in 1.

I think it's worth acknowledging that having big contracts ending doesn't necessarily equate to more cap space. List management teams don't just manage finances for the upcoming season, they need to predict what's happening years in advance.

The end of JJ's contract will have been planned for ever since it was signed. Those plans probably initially included the expectation of a second big contract after this one, but that would have changed over the past couple of years. We would have expected to have at least $100-200k extra space for quite some time now - so it's possible that it has already been used up by taking Treloar, or re-signing Bont, or bringing in Martin, or re-signing anyone else. On top of that, most contracts aren't flat, so there's no way to know how many are on peaks or valleys on any given year.

Predicting cap space is, as always, a fool's errand as there just isn't enough information available. The only guarantee is that other clubs will offer some of our players more than we are able to given the status of our list compared to others, no matter how good our list management team are, so it comes down to how happy players are here. From there it's guesswork.

Bulldog legend and I'm glad he has prolonged his career as one of Collingwood best (2 top 10 finishes in the Copeland). Odds of that happening when we traded him would have been off the board.
I hope he has a very enjoyable 99-game career with the Pies.

Did people not see Roughy play this year ?
Most games I saw he was horrible.

To be fair he had absolutely no help with Howe out for most, and Moore out for the last 9(?) weeks.

Playing alsong side Jack Madgen is not gonna make anyone look good. Especially with the amount of ball being walked out of or through Collingwoods midfield like it was.

To be fair he had absolutely no help with Howe out for most, and Moore out for the last 9(?) weeks.

Playing alsong side Jack Madgen is not gonna make anyone look good. Especially with the amount of ball being walked out of or through Collingwoods midfield like it was.
I guarantee you that if Roughy were on our list last year as a KPD, Bevo would’ve still preferred Cordy or Gardner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My memory is that we tried Roughy several times as a kpd and he looked slower than ...( whatever it is that is really really slow). Good luck to Pies for fixing that and good luck to Roughy for extending his career so well - just wish it was with us.
I dont think the Pies really fixed anything other than perhaps getting his body right. What Roughy has now is the games best CHB in front of him.

A luxury he never had when played in defence for the dogs.

Imo Moore is the pies best player. Don’t see anyway they don’t offer him a very very good contract.
Most likely but could the chance at a premiership sway his thinking if the dollars weren't miles off would be the only chance.
Still reckon it's an extremely tiny chance though

Most likely but could the chance at a premiership sway his thinking if the dollars weren't miles off would be the only chance.
Still reckon it's an extremely tiny chance though
Our cap might be too tight but we could consider other options. Who knows the players that may be available this trade time, there's always a surprise.

For all we know Gardner will improve and Darcy will play a couple of games in defence and it becomes less of a priority, especially with TOB providing more of a chop out. In previous years we had Crozier and Wood providing intercept marking capacity, something we simply didn't have in the second half of 2021.

I still think Libba can perform at the elite level next year. Second most important is a pretty major stretch when it means he'd be ahead of either Bont, or Macrae (just won Gary Ayres award and had 3 consecutive AAs). We then have West who I am confident can step into a serious role in the next year or two. Yes, Dunkley is a great player, but I feel he's more replaceable than Dale, who just made AA in a brand new role. If it were up to me, we'd keep both.

TBH I do worry about the loss of Libba. His contested ability, blind vision, hands, and composure are elite and very underated. Could lose him at any moment but he's somehow Invincible.

IMO a league wide top 10 player. IF we can get him (requires $1M a year?), we will lose someone we would prefer to keep due to salary cap problems. I would still go for it anyway. Moore can intercept, run and deliver 55m downfield. He is two players in 1.
I'd love him but we'd probably be losing 2 good players to land him. One to cover part of him and the seond to cover the rest of him and help retain others already on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back