EPL Matchday 13 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't allow anymore Chelsea's or Manchester City's to happen.

FFP as it stands is seriously flawed, absolutely, but Red Black and Blue is basically asking for Everton to be allowed to do a Leeds.

FFP as it stands is seriously flawed, absolutely, but Red Black and Blue is basically asking for Everton to be allowed to do a Leeds.
I agree but FFP was more about protecting the top clubs than protecting clubs from themselves

I agree but FFP was more about protecting the top clubs than protecting clubs from themselves

In this case it seems to be working at protecting Everton from themselves, but I suppose impossible to say who they would have signed this season.

Which is exactly what we should be permitted to do. If we go down, it should be entirely off our own steam, not by being hamstrung by mechanisms to keep the status quo.

Which is exactly what we should be permitted to do. If we go down, it should be entirely off our own steam, not by being hamstrung by mechanisms to keep the status quo.

That's the entire notion of 'saving clubs from themself' though.

The notion is a false one. This is a competition. Teams have to be able to pursue success freely.

You've literally just said you want the chance to spend money and live with the consequences no matter what they are, it's not a false notion.

You've literally just said you want the chance to spend money and live with the consequences no matter what they are, it's not a false notion.

The notion that the rule is there to protect clubs from themselves is the false notion. It's there to protect the status quo at the top of the league. The leagues power brokers couldn't care if it was Everton going down or Leeds there will always be an club there for cannon fodder. Its there to punish teams like Icarus, for flying to close to the sun.

The notion that the rule is there to protect clubs from themselves is the false notion. It's there to protect the status quo at the top of the league. The leagues power brokers couldn't care if it was Everton going down or Leeds there will always be an club there for cannon fodder.

It's there to stop Everton continuing to dig themselves into a hole. Because if you'd signed 50m of talent last summer and still been in this situation, the fans would be calling for some top ups in January to get out of the hole and the cycle would continue on. Having to spend sustainably is not a bad thing. As I said FFP isn't perfect and needs to be overhauled, and as you say there is an element of protecting the status quo, but look at the way Leicester spends for instance compared to yourselves.

It's there to stop Everton continuing to dig themselves into a hole. Because if you'd signed 50m of talent last summer and still been in this situation, the fans would be calling for some top ups in January to get out of the hole and the cycle would continue on. Having to spend sustainably is not a bad thing. As I said FFP isn't perfect and needs to be overhauled, and as you say there is an element of protecting the status quo, but look at the way Leicester spends for instance compared to yourselves.

No one is defending how terribly we have spent. I hate half the players we buy. But we should be allowed to spend if we can get it done.

No one is defending how terribly we have spent. I hate half the players we buy. But we should be allowed to spend if we can get it done.

Fair enough, agree to disagree. As Soz said, you've been able to for three seasons and now you have to cycle through the losses.

There has to be a balance between spending and investment and protecting clubs.

Everton new stadium is going to cost half a billion by all accounts. 6 or 7 years in the Champions league would bring in half a billion in revenue.

There has to be a balance between spending and investment and protecting clubs.

Everton new stadium is going to cost half a billion by all accounts. 6 or 7 years in the Champions league would bring in half a billion in revenue.

Of course but if it was as simple as 'spend $x = success' they would have done it by now, but they've shown over the last few years that isn't always the case. I've said a few times the current FFP leaves a lot to be desired but this scenario feels like exactly why it's there. Doesn't discourage capital investment, but does prevent burning funds on players. As you say, what the right balance is I think hasn't quite yet been found.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are about to be relegated with a 700 million dollar stadium debt coming because we can’t buy players...

Youre not getting relegated.

And the stadium debt is long term plus adds value to the club. With the massive jump in revenue it will pay for itself within 10 years.

Is the spirit of the rule not to stop people just throwing massive amounts of money at the wall and the club going bust? If Everton were allowed to continue to rack up huge losses and then somehow found themselves relegated, would they not be in massive financial trouble?
Precisely. Derby today showing what happens when you spend with gay abandon and gamble poorly.

Everton are in FFP trouble because of spending lots of money poorly.

That said I think Europe’s FFP rules do have an element of gatekeeping inbuilt. Encircling the rich and powerful by making it hard for others to join their gravy train.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back