Hawthorn forward line 2022 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
I think that it is interesting that much has been discussed and debated about our midfield this year. Most supporters seem to have agreed that or main deficiencies appear to have been addressed (the addition this year of Nash, Bramble, Newcombe and the recent draft haul which looks highly promising. The backline looks to be in really good shape and potentially one of the best in the league going forward

Our forward line though seems to be flying under the radar when it comes to discussing the team a a whole. What I find the most interesting though is the players we have brought in with highly speculative picks which already look to be showing highly impressive signs going forward. Unlike the glory years, none of our key forwards are top ten/high draft picks like Roughhead (2) Franklin (5)

In fact our current big talls are quite the opposite when it comes to draft picks - Mitch Lewis (pick 76) Jacob Koschitzke (52) Emerson Jeka # 9 Rookie draft Jackson Callow (Mid season draft 2021) It is still early days, but the promise shown by all of the above (bar Callow) at this stage is huge IMO

ML has battled serious injuries in the past 2-3 years but has shown that he is more than capable when right with 2022 his big chance to have a break out year. Koschitzke's switch to the forward line this year has been stunning. Once he improves his kicking for goal and gains more confidence he could be absolutely anything

Jeka dominated the VFL this year and showed some signs in the few games he played this year. Arguably has the most potentially of all the talls and like ML, needs to add more aggression and defensive pressure to his game to have a break out year. Out of our small brigade, Brockman at times looked and played like a first round pick (46), Moore was outstanding as a high half forward, Breust was Breust, Saunders showed some great signs at VFL level with Seamus Mitchell remaining and enigma who could be anything as well

Kudos to our recruitment team over the past 5 years. With such poor picks, we have brought in some really promising talls and small forwards with huge upside, bring on 2022

Franklin And Roughead to one club wont happen again in one draft, But they weren't traditional KPP either. That was more your Tom Williams or Travis Cloke

Our KPP in 2004 were Dawson (18y) Holland (29) Hay (24) Thompson (26) Barker (29) Tim Boyle (20)

None really lasted but getting pick 10 from north for Thomson (pick 82 in 1997) then trading that (and #37) for #7 from collingwood (and Bo Nixon) would be handy right now
Or John Hay (#36 in 1996) to north for pick #18 (max Bailey)

Trading certainly isnt what it was. Kane Cornes (#20, 2000) would call it 'cheating'

Maybe Sammy needs more slack than Hawthorn gave Clarko (before Jeff arrive that is)

A star KPF would be great but you can win a flag with players who can play the right mix of roles. Pressure, aerial contests, leading, contested marks, speed, crumbing, one-on-one contests and goal kicking. You can win a premiership with players that can collectively do all of that. The best sides tend to have at least one freak up forward that can do a few of those things exceptionally well but it is hard to plan for having that, because often it I the draft lottery that produces the players. They rarely change clubs.

Looking at our list, a lot of potential to fill those roles. Pressure forward is a weakness. Butler may be it. Obviously Breust applies pressure, as does Wingard and Moore but we really lack that elite speed over short distance that helps separate the good from the very good forward lines. We absolutely need a winning KPF and a couple that can support them. It will straighten us up immensely. That could be lewis, Jeka and Kosi but none are really equiped to play in the ruck so it might have to be Lynch that squeezes one of the others out.

Once Breust and winged depart, we will be desparetly short of goals kicking small forwards. Moore and Brockman are the best we have right nw, but I'd be playing all four in the same side right now so that leaves us with two to find in the medium term. I like that Long and Macdonald are capable up forward. Will help to have mids that can play through there.

Once Breust and winged depart, we will be desparetly short of goals kicking small forwards. Moore and Brockman are the best we have right nw, but I'd be playing all four in the same side right now so that leaves us with two to find in the medium term. I like that Long and Macdonald are capable up forward. Will help to have mids that can play through there.

We're not exactly sure what Seamus and Jacky Saunders are capable of yet. A full year of VFL footy (or some time in the seniors) may see one or both really take the next step.

I think our flank and pocket options are nice:

FP: Brockman, Breust and Saunders (?)

HFF: Moore, Wingard, Gunston, Butler (?), Serong (?) and Mitchell (?)

That's five players we know can contribute at a high standard playing HFF and FP, with four youngsters that we hope will develop into contributors. And importantly they all offer different strengths.

IMO Butler will be able to contribute fairly quickly.

I think our flank and pocket options are nice:

FP: Brockman, Breust and Saunders (?)

HFF: Moore, Wingard, Gunston, Butler (?), Serong (?) and Mitchell (?)

That's five players we know can contribute at a high standard playing HFF and FP, with four youngsters that we hope will develop into contributors. And importantly they all offer different strengths.

IMO Butler will be able to contribute fairly quickly.
Morris maybe HFF too or HBF

We're not exactly sure what Seamus and Jacky Saunders are capable of yet.
Wish stupid off-season would hurry up so we could see these two in action... I'm intrigued. I reckon they'll smash the pre-season games & have us all very excited!!

#stupidoffseason

We're not exactly sure what Seamus and Jacky Saunders are capable of yet. A full year of VFL footy (or some time in the seniors) may see one or both really take the next step.
It would be an absolute dream if both come through and fill those gaps for us. Both have speed and I love Saunders' tenacity.

If I remember rightly Seamus is reported to be incredibly quick off the mark. Not sure of his forward prowess but could be interesting in the forward line if he can tackle.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I remember rightly Seamus is reported to be incredibly quick of the mark. Not sure of his forward prowess but could be interesting in the forward line if he can tackle.
Seamus is f'ing lightning, was i think 2.9 in the 20m but his acceleration is an A++ standard consistently. His agility aswell and his kicking is very good. Just a smart footballer aswell. His tackling was pretty good VFL level, first game back had 7 tackles if i'm not mistaken.

Round 22 vs Western Bulldogs

Mitchell Lewis: 14 disposals - 10 marks - 6 tackles - 6 hit-outs

What about Lewis as the second ruck? :think:

This would then give Koschitzke and Jeka a chance to be the two key forwards giving them more space to work with inside 50, with Lewis switching between playing as a forward/second ruck.

This would then give Koschitzke and Jeka a chance to be the two key forwards giving them more space to work with inside 50, with Lewis switching between playing as a forward/second ruck.
Lewis > Kossie as a forward.

Lewis FF, Kossie can play as a pocket and Jeka as the true CHF.

Would be nice. Forward/ruck. Needs to grow more heart and second efforts as appears to be pushed off the ball too easily.

He looks to have strengthened up, at least. Hopefully an awesome off/pre-season to put on some more size and he could be a gun.

Don't see Jeka, Lewis and Kosi all playing in the same F50. Especially if we are playing two rucks.

Something is going to have to give there.

It was evident last year that 3 talls in the F50 didnt work.
It might in 2022 under a different game style.

I hope Sammy tries it again.

Don't see Jeka, Lewis and Kosi all playing in the same F50. Especially if we are playing two rucks.

Would Kosi be so out of place down back again? Have Lewis and Jeka up front, potentially two rucks but Kosi plays down back instead of Hartigan and can rotate into the forward line when/if needed. I haven't seen a lot of Kosi down back so possibly he wasn't developing as nicely down there as hoped - but he was an underage AA at fullback. As it stands he is needed up forward as he has proven capable of making an impact up there, but if Jeka and Lewis are getting the job done it gives us that option of moving him back.

Keep in mind Mitch spent some time with WCE who took a triple tall approach to their premiership in 2018. I wouldn't be surprised if we experimented with it a fair bit with a new method for entry.

Would Kosi be so out of place down back again? Have Lewis and Jeka up front, potentially two rucks but Kosi plays down back instead of Hartigan and can rotate into the forward line when/if needed. I haven't seen a lot of Kosi down back so possibly he wasn't developing as nicely down there as hoped - but he was an underage AA at fullback. As it stands he is needed up forward as he has proven capable of making an impact up there, but if Jeka and Lewis are getting the job done it gives us that option of moving him back.

Could be an option IMO. I suggested it earlier, but it doesn't seem to be a popular potential option. The way I see it is Kosi could certainly be quick enough to keep up with leading KPF's, which is something that Callow may struggle with. He's also a strong unit and could potentially be able to hold his own in a wrestle.

We will need a KPD that will compliment DGB, and unless we bring one in we are looking at Callow as the only option after Hartigan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back