Pick4…

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hence my last comment:
Here you go..a bit of fun

Bradman in his debut hit 18 & 1. If there was twitter back then!!!

FB_IMG_1638445411739.jpg

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
That’s because they are undeniable facts , I know about the amount of time they spend on this stuff and I’ve spoken to recruiters about why they rate a certain player or don’t when it’s surprised me and this is what they’ve told me is the reason ( not always but quite often)

take it or leave it , I don’t care anymore

Lol.

once again, let me be clear: you are NOT being asked what you “think”.

Last edited:

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
They'd do it once... but the path would be clear for Lockett's 2nd and subsequent leads. It's hard to be an intercept marker from a hospital bed.
Then Lockett would get suspended for six weeks.

You can't even tackle with a hint of roughness anymore. There's be no chance Lockett could just run through guys like it's the 80s.

You can't even tackle with a hint of roughness anymore. There's be no chance Lockett could just run through guys like it's the 80s.
I can say with a certainty there would be a lot less guys physically intimidated by Lockett today, compared to yesteryear.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I can say with a certainty there would be a lot less guys physically intimidated by Lockett today, compared to yesteryear.
Wrong ! ......players are so used to not expecting contact, they've lost awareness of danger around them .....they've not been taught to protect themselves or their heads .....going head on into a contest open chest is dumb .....going head first into a contest is dumb

In the past very few of these injuries would have occurred .....very first thing i was taught playing football, was how to protect yourself ...very first thing
If you were pushed ...how to roll ....these days players just use their arms and hands to land ....shoulder injuries, wrist injuries, is anyone surprised

Wrong ! ......players are so used to not expecting contact, they've lost awareness of danger around them .....they've not been taught to protect themselves or their heads .....going head on into a contest open chest is dumb .....going head first into a contest is dumb

In the past very few of these injuries would have occurred .....very first thing i was taught playing football, was how to protect yourself ...very first thing
If you were pushed ...how to roll ....these days players just use their arms and hands to land ....shoulder injuries, wrist injuries, is anyone surprised
Absolutely Wrong.

One part of Plugger's aura was that he was physically intimidating. Players today that would stand him, would be just as strong, bigger or stronger than him.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Absolutely Wrong.

One part of Plugger's aura was that he was physically intimidating. Players today that would stand him, would be just as strong, bigger or stronger than him.
Pffftt .....gotta remember players were stronger in Lockett's era ....they were built by clubs to withstand physical contact rather than today's emphasis on running

There's been long periods at the Crows where we've built players up with pure muscle mass .....today players are strong but with a leaner physique

Compare a rover from the 90's to todays rovers ......rest my case, evidence is indisputable

1638486059401.png
1638485830110.png

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

If they're eyes are firmly planted on the ball they can still run through players, the only proviso is you don't take them high.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pffftt .....gotta remember players were stronger in Lockett's era ....they were built by clubs to withstand physical contact rather than today's emphasis on running

There's been long periods at the Crows where we've built players up with pure muscle mass .....today players are strong but with a leaner physique

Compare a rover from the 90's to todays rovers ......rest my case, evidence is indisputable

View attachment 1291417.....View attachment 1291413
You've both got good points. I don't think the fear factor was about his strength, but his aggression and would run through players (e.g. Peter Caven) when they were going for the ball in front of him. Defenders are much better protecting their team mates today, blocking a forward or restricting his run so you have a lot more confidence you will be protected, not to mention players don't run through opponents because they'll be out for weeks and that costs a lot of money. Look at how Tom Hawkins still dominates most defenders in 1-on-1s due to his size and body positioning.

Lockett was quick though, so imagine how fast he would be off the mark he'd be with today's training and playing 10kg lighter. IMO, that would be his main weapon (oh, and he was an amazing shot for goal) rather than his physical presence.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
If they're eyes are firmly planted on the ball they can still run through players, the only proviso is you don't take them high.
Exampled by this, perfect tackling technique ...all efforts to avoid hurting players was taken .....IMO just a reprimand .....but remember I drink alot too

Rags_118

Team Captain
Nov 19, 2020
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Blacks, West Ham, Rangers
Absolutely Wrong.

You're having a laugh! Lockett would Rag doll Taylor Walker and outmuscle Tom Hawkins. He'd very easily push aside any of the tall but relatively soft full backs playing today.

Also if Lockett was playing today he'd likely be 2-4cm taller than he achieved back in the day as a result of better nutrition (excess calories/protein), better disease prevention and better disease treatment than as a child in the 60s/70s. He'd also be stronger and fitter himself by taking advantage of modern AFL training methods. In his day, he was very quick off the mark and could turn agilely for his size, however he would obviously have to do a lot of physical training to repeatedly run up and down the ground like a modern FF hence his weaknesses might get exposed.

He would likely earn a lot more free kicks in the modern game, unless of course his reputation resulted in umpires turning a blind eye to infringements as per Toby Greene.

Lockett would be a champion of the game in any era he played. However it's hard to imagine anybody, Lockett included, kicking 100 goals is a season let alone 100+ every season with modern team defence structures.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
You're having a laugh! Lockett would Rag doll Taylor Walker and outmuscle Tom Hawkins. He'd very easily push aside any of the tall but relatively soft full backs playing today.

Also if Lockett was playing today he'd likely be 2-4cm taller than he achieved back in the day as a result of better nutrition (excess calories/protein), better disease prevention and better disease treatment than as a child in the 60s/70s. He'd also be stronger and fitter himself by taking advantage of modern AFL training methods. In his day, he was very quick off the mark and could turn agilely for his size, however he would obviously have to do a lot of physical training to repeatedly run up and down the ground like a modern FF hence his weaknesses might get exposed.

He would likely earn a lot more free kicks in the modern game, unless of course his reputation resulted in umpires turning a blind eye to infringements as per Toby Greene.

Lockett would be a champion of the game in any era he played. However it's hard to imagine anybody, Lockett included, kicking 100 goals is a season let alone 100+ every season with modern team defence structures.
A couple of cm taller would make him Walkers height, and no he wouldnt 'easily push aside' any full backs.

Lockett would survive because of his talent, not his physical prowess

A couple of cm taller would make him Walkers height, and no he wouldnt 'easily push aside' any full backs.

Lockett would survive because of his talent, not his physical prowess
+1

Lockett was very talented, very skilled and better than forwards today, but I feel some posters have the wrong impression about his physical prowess when compared to footballers and by that I mean defenders that would stand him today.

Look at how Tom Hawkins still dominates most defenders in 1-on-1s due to his size and body positioning.
+1

Hawkins is 1.98m tall compared to Lockett 1.91m and his weight is 103kgs compared to Lockett 112kg.

I also have no doubt that Hawkins is more muscular that Lockett and would argue probably as strong if not stronger.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Silvers and now Hamish? Great that the club is embracing podcasters/streamers. Good stuff.

I have to say, I don't listen to feenix67 THAT often because the format isn't quite what I'm looking for in a podcast, but he's done an EXCELLENT job with the interviews.

Great to see the club also reaching out to Sensible Crow and Crowject too. Good work all round.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
I have to say, I don't listen to feenix67 THAT often because the format isn't quite what I'm looking for in a podcast, but he's done an EXCELLENT job with the interviews.

Great to see the club also reaching out to Sensible Crow and Crowject too. Good work all round.
Thanks, he was very easy to interview. Like talking with a mate about the footy.

The club has really changed its attitude towards second tier media like us which is great. Should be a lot of content next year.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Look you can keep waffling on if you like, but it won’t change anything.

i’m not asking a question. I can’t make this any clearer, but you are wrong.

Champion data sells very expensive, not available to the public, data on prospective draftees. this data is influential, and it has been explained from within the inner sanctum of our recruiting team that this is the big reason why amateur draft watchers differ from real recruiters.

they don’t have access to the same data.

this is not a question!
I'm sure each club has a different level of emphasis but one lot of recruiters I've spoken with, I expected the data to play a bigger part than it appeared to for them. Very much got the vibe the recruits like to back themselves with what they see and gut feel over what the data might 'say' as such - not to say it doesn't get looked at but just didn't seem to be the defining factor.

On a side note, was super impressed with the sportscode packages they get and how all the stats are coded so you can easily review the footage of player x and every time they took a contested mark for example.

Back