Recruiting Draft Watch 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Fejo played more as an outside runner with his agility and skills with ball movement is my understanding, but yeah, I would have thought his evasiveness might translate well to a small forward role. Not sure he defends well or runs both ways, or even of his marking ability. I had high hopes but he didn't even get drafted.

Does anyone know the shortfalls in his game that explain why he wasn't drafted? Can we still invite him to train?
eDPS

I know it's Ch 7 but they said Fejo Jr is going to be training with us. So he could be competing with Clarke and Wanganeen for a spot.

Notable the guys who went to visit Hobbs at the London Tavern on draft night weren’t asked to do it by anyone at the club, just did it themselves.

McDonagh was of interest when they were watching Sam Durham for the mid season draft, apparently Durham gave a ripping character reference as RFK tells it.

Also Jones acknowledged as part of the recruiting team, Snelling’s upgrade to the senior list, and Truck’s Essendon DNA values on the wall behind Dodoro (these last points are in the respective player/coach threads as not really specific to the draftees).

Richmond offered 17 and 28 for Hobbs.

We offered pick 11 and our future first for GWS' pick 2.

At our selection, Blake Howes was our second choice after Hobbs.

Tigers were pretty desperate to get both he and Gibcus.

“ THE TIGERS were on the hunt.

After Richmond selected key defender Josh Gibcus with pick No.9 at last week's NAB AFL Draft, pipping midfielder Ben Hobbs for the spot, the Tigers set out to try and nab both players.

When Fremantle with the next choice also overlooked Hobbs, the Tigers got on the front foot. St Kilda was on the clock for its pick 11 when the Tigers rang with an offer of picks 17 and 28. The Saints weren't interested in sliding back that far.

A similar deal, involving those two selections plus a future second-round pick for pick 12 and a second-round selection, was put to West Coast. But the Eagles were already in discussions with Port Adelaide about a swap of pick 12 and 14, so knocked back the Tigers' bid to jump up the queue.

Richmond had one last shot at pairing up the Greater Western Victoria Rebels duo, offering pick 17 and 28 to Essendon for pick 13, before the Bombers pounced on Hobbs to bolster their midfield.”

It's interesting that we were also after Howes.
If the case and we rated at 8/9 as we rated Hobbs at 6/7

Then why didnt we offer up our F2 for pick 38 before Melbourne (As it seemed known that Dees were into him)

Even with those ratings we shouldve been considering our F1 for him aswell

Interesting we went from looking at Howes at pick 13 a 192cm forward/mid to two small half backs with our later picks

If the case and we rated at 8/9 as we rated Hobbs at 6/7

Then why didnt we offer up our F2 for pick 38 before Melbourne (As it seemed known that Dees were into him)

Even with those ratings we shouldve been considering our F1 for him aswell

Interesting we went from looking at Howes at pick 13 a 192cm forward/mid to two small half backs with our later picks
I take it you missed the myriad of media stories that stated our F2 was up for grabs and no one seemed to want it?

Or that Dodoro said himself we tried to trade up the whole second round and no one wanted to trade back, because they wanted the same players?

You cannot trade up if no one wants to trade back.

I take it you missed the myriad of media stories that stated our F2 was up for grabs and no one seemed to want it?

Or that Dodoro said himself we tried to trade up the whole second round and no one wanted to trade back, because they wanted the same players?

Yeh if you can link me to those not wanting it that would be great

But really if rated him at 8/9 then F1 should've come into it

No one wanted Howes till 39

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weren't they also on record somewhere saying they wanted to keep the F1?
Not sure

All the talk from the club was looking to trade F2 but id hope nothing is ever off the table

Just think if you have a player rated at 8 and there still available at 38 then your moving a fair bit to get that done

Not sure

All the talk from the club was looking to trade F2 but id hope nothing is ever off the table

Just think if you have a player rated at 8 and there still available at 38 then your moving a fair bit to get that done
So just to be clear, you would have traded our F1 for pick 38?

Richmond offered 17 and 28 for Hobbs.

We offered pick 11 and our future first for GWS' pick 2.

At our selection, Blake Howes was our second choice after Hobbs.
interesting that 17 & 28 would have been enough for Johnson + Draper. But at 13, how do you know that.
I wonder if the AFL ever gets to a point where you can live trade players and picks.

i.e. Richmond make that offer. We say nah we're picking Hobbs. Then richmond come back at 17 and ask for Hobbs for 17 & 28....we look at Johnson plus a crack at 1/11 other players still on the board (or possibility of trading up with 28) and we move Hobbs for the pick.

Based on your info, I've come up with a simulation of Dodo's experience on draft night:

Draftnight.gif

Then, if you weren't going to trade our F1 for that pick to get in before Melbourne, and no one seemingly wanting to bite on our F2 on offer, what are the options?

Offering our F1 for any pick after 19 (21) is a massive overpay, as the reality is it is likely we will get a better player at that pick (10-12ish) then we will likely get taking someone at 22-38 this year.

Then, if you weren't going to trade our F1 for that pick to get in before Melbourne, and no one seemingly wanting to bite on our F2 on offer, what are the options?

Offering our F1 for any pick after 19 (21) is a massive overpay, as the reality is it is likely we will get a better player at that pick (10-12ish) then we will likely get taking someone at 22-38 this year.
Not as a straight swap. It still couldve been used with something in return

But we had Howes at 8-9 not 22-38

I dont know where you read we had him at 8/9, but I will take your word for it presuming it's from an article somewhere.

I get your argument of 'if he is the 8th player on our board he is worth our F1' but at some point trading a pick that is likely going to be 7-11 next year, for pick 30 odd and maybe a F2, which by the way would be absorbed by Davey bids anyway, isn't good value.

We had Hobbs fall to us despite him being 6/7th on our board at 13. Who is to say if we have pick 9 next year we don't have a top 5 best player on our board fall? You have to weigh the risk.

Mortgaging a F2 and the picks we had in order to to move up 10 spots from 45? Slightly overs but probably the price of business and I am down with that if we rate the player. You don't have to win every trade, but we do have to get value. Plus we were likely to draft Draper at 45 if not for the Pies doing a swift (kudos to them) so staying out although not our first preference turned out to almost be the best option. Even then, there were no trades in the second round - at all - so clubs were pretty content sitting and waiting with their picks

The reality is trading is hard to do as there are a lot of moving pieces, it's not like Fifa or NBA 2k where you can put something on the trading block and the game simulates potential trades for you. There has to be someone willing to move back, which there wasn't clearly this year unless we were willing to pay an exorbitant, over the top type of value price.

There will be sliders again next year, and I think holding all our picks is actually slightly underrated, considering the amount of teams that are missing picks next year. It stung not having our F2 this year, and it seems, unwittingly, we won't have that problem next year.

Apparently we were the club that made fremantle take Eric Benning in the ND instead as a Cat B rookie

As we had a PSD pick we could take him there and freo didnt have the ability to match

We had interviewed Eric Benning twice

Glad to see our recruiters in Perth are still kicking

Yeh if you can link me to those not wanting it that would be great

But really if rated him at 8/9 then F1 should've come into it

No one wanted Howes till 39
Not sure

You’re the only one saying he was rated that high. Him being Plan B may have also involved trading back. Maybe if Hobbs wasn’t available we were trading #30 for two picks in the twenties and taking Howes. In which case maybe we didn’t rate him8-9, but thought getting two picks in the twenties was better than any one other player if it wasn’t Hobbs.

We really don’t know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back