Discussion Jumpers That Never Were

makri

Team Captain
Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is this what Eddie was talking about when it came to that "new guernsey" that was to be worn against Carlton?

This might have been one of the options but they ended up making up a set of clash jumpers with home sponsor setup, i.e. Emirates on the front of the jumpers. They were supposed to be worn against St Kilda in 2007 Herritage round and potentially against Carlton. For reasons unknown (Eddie.....) they were never used.
pie1.jpg

pie2.jpg

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
Found this on a YouTube vid (best image I could get). It's apparently a 1997 Brisbane Broncos ARL jersey with Ansett replacing Traveland as the sponsor.

Steven Russo - Rugby League Chic (Episode 7) Newcastle Herald Challenge 1988 and Broncos ARL 1...png

For obvious reasons it was never worn in a game with this jersey being worn instead in the 1997 Super League Season and the 1998 NRL seasons
1635854944193.png

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Sep 18, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wait that looks nothing like the collar shown on the draft guys, we want answers!

Also that collar is the worst

Another interesting thing about the guernsey is that the hoops start much higher than normal by not being under the cuffs, which I don't think has ever been the case.

Funnily enough I served Sholl at my work like just an hour after posting that photo of him in here lol

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Another interesting thing about the guernsey is that the hoops start much higher than normal by not being under the cuffs, which I don't think has ever been the case.

Funnily enough I served Sholl at my work like just an hour after posting that photo of him in here lol
"Scholly, mate, what was that collar you were wearin'?"

Screenshot_20211119-182534_Instagram.jpg

I was flicking through the Crows board apparel thread and saw this one on page 72, I don't think it's been posted here.

Another O'Neills prototype?

Sep 18, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
View attachment 1291782

I was flicking through the Crows board apparel thread and saw this one on page 72, I don't think it's been posted here.

Another O'Neills prototype?

Nice pickup, I just dismissed that photo because I thought it was just the final collar at an unusual angle. Don't think it is on closer inspection.
Do I see shoulder panels?

Won't be surprised if we see that collar or the bib in 2023 to change things up again.

GetAroundHim99

The World's Biggest Overreactor!
Apr 29, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Melbourne Storm, McLaren
Found this on a YouTube vid (best image I could get). It's apparently a 1997 Brisbane Broncos ARL jersey with Ansett replacing Traveland as the sponsor.

View attachment 1273004

For obvious reasons it was never worn in a game with this jersey being worn instead in the 1997 Super League Season and the 1998 NRL seasons
View attachment 1273009
I'm guessing that all the teams who were in the ARL who went to Super League would had to have 1997 prototypes. It wasn't until October 1996 when the Federal Court reversed the previous blocking of Super League and it wasn't until November 1996 when it was official that Super League was on for 1997 after the ARL appeal was dismissed. It wasn't guaranteed that Super League would happen so it would make sense that the 8 ARL defectors would have to have a plan for 1997 if the reversal didn't happen. That prototype reflects it.

I'd be interested to see what the other 7 teams prototypes for the 1997 ARL Season would have looked like. (Those teams being Auckland, Canberra, Canterbury, Cronulla, North Queensland, Penrith and the Western Reds.)

rabbitoh21

Premiership Player
May 7, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Too many
I'm guessing that all the teams who were in the ARL who went to Super League would had to have 1997 prototypes. It wasn't until October 1996 when the Federal Court reversed the previous blocking of Super League and it wasn't until November 1996 when it was official that Super League was on for 1997 after the ARL appeal was dismissed. It wasn't guaranteed that Super League would happen so it would make sense that the 8 ARL defectors would have to have a plan for 1997 if the reversal didn't happen. That prototype reflects it.

I'd be interested to see what the other 7 teams prototypes for the 1997 ARL Season would have looked like. (Those teams being Auckland, Canberra, Canterbury, Cronulla, North Queensland, Penrith and the Western Reds.)
Probably would have stayed with their status quo(s): would have made it easier to use spares and just change the badges if needed

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
Back