Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Never been a fan of upper vs lower body days personally. A base of push, pull, legs has been clearly the best for me with being able to maximise each day and get enough of a rest before going again on that group.
If you have time and it works for you, go for it.
I'm building my legs back up after doing a lot of running & cycling during lockdown so really want to get two leg days in per week. From a schedule point of view I'm only guaranteed time for four sessions a week.

Never been a fan of upper vs lower body days personally. A base of push, pull, legs has been clearly the best for me with being able to maximise each day and get enough of a rest before going again on that group.

I do the same, but also core. I aim for 25-50 reps for each movement. I think I'd be accused of not having enough volume, but I generally do this 3x a week, so it amounts to 75-150 reps of a push-pull-leg-core movement each week. I try to stick to the same exercise on my workout day because I'm basic, but apparently, that's wrong too and "good" workouts should have you doing 7-8 different exercises. But I don't see why you can't have a good workout with only 4 exercises + some cardio afterwards. It still takes me 60-90 minutes.

I do the same, but also core. I aim for 25-50 reps for each movement. I think I'd be accused of not having enough volume, but I generally do this 3x a week, so it amounts to 75-150 reps of a push-pull-leg-core movement each week. I try to stick to the same exercise on my workout day because I'm basic, but apparently, that's wrong too and "good" workouts should have you doing 7-8 different exercises. But I don't see why you can't have a good workout with only 4 exercises + some cardio afterwards. It still takes me 60-90 minutes.

Yeah definitely fine with sticking to your same 4 every session. So long as you are hitting all your different muscle groups you dont need variation for the sake of variation

Yeah definitely fine with sticking to your same 4 every session. So long as you are hitting all your different muscle groups you dont need variation for the sake of variation

Yeah, go you pups more or less told me the same thing.

DL trap bar is about the only thing I'd throw in to round out leg volume if/when I get the plates (but I've been putting money into crypto and other stuff lately), and maybe if I can find the right pull-up attachment for my doors then one of those, too.

Can anyone recommend a half decent power rack that won't break the bank?

Needs: squats, bench, deads, pull ups. ,obviously will get a wheel in bench for bench press.

Would prefer it not to have inbuilt plate holders as I need to preserve depth (will buy a free standing holder to put next to it).
The rack I bought in September from best fitness in Adelaide might fit your bill

20211006_185214.jpg

2x3 11 gauge steel, 5/8s or M16 hardware, westside spacing. I think Rogue band pegs will be compatible with this rack, however Rogue stopped selling their Infinity line which its attachments would have likely been compatible with this rack :(

The only limitations for this rack is they only come with pin pipe safeties and a pair of fairly standard j cups, no fancy roller j cups or monolift attachments or safety straps or anything are available as yet, the pin pipes are a little cumbersome but for some exercises where I use bands I find them to be quite useful. They do sell a lat attachment, dip attachment and removable plate storage though, but the plate storage sells out quick along with their half rack version of this rack

However for $849 free shipping I think it's bloody decent value. Brand name is Rugged, its from the Body-Solid stable of equipment.

Its around 227-228cm tall, and just under 170cm in length, will be around 190cm in length if the lat attachment is added on

I didn't want the footplate between the rear uprights as I thought it may have been a tripping hazard or make my bench uneven, works fine without it (though I'm not dumping 200+kgs on it every session, most I've racked is 135 and it's rock solid)

They sell Rugged line benches too on that website, their flat bench looks ok, looks like a fat pad powerlifting bench, might get it at a later date.

If I'm coming off a long layoff or haven't been training well, a upper and lower split works best for me (will throw in core on lower day), will start at 2 days a week, then increase to around 6 sessions a fortnight, once I feel good at that volume I'll split them up to my preferred 4 day split (back/chest/legs/shoulders + arms)

If I didn't have my lower back history then I'd run with push pull legs every other day and start the new weekly block off 6 days rather than 7, did this during lockdown last year when I only had a dumbbell + bench set-up and a heap of time on my hands, dropped a few kilos in the process.

If I'm coming off a long layoff or haven't been training well, a upper and lower split works best for me (will throw in core on lower day), will start at 2 days a week, then increase to around 6 sessions a fortnight, once I feel good at that volume I'll split them up to my preferred 4 day split (back/chest/legs/shoulders + arms)

If I didn't have my lower back history then I'd run with push pull legs every other day and start the new weekly block off 6 days rather than 7, did this during lockdown last year when I only had a dumbbell + bench set-up and a heap of time on my hands, dropped a few kilos in the process.
In the past I've run with doing back and legs together one session per week which basically meant deadlifts were getting done on leg day and ditching the hamstring accessory exercise. I've even done the push-pull-legs-rest day-ABW type workouts before, with a recovery run/cycle on the weekend.

As long as the basics are right - compounds & small calorie surplus/deficit (depending on goals) + progressive overload - different methods can work.

In the past I've run with doing back and legs together one session per week which basically meant deadlifts were getting done on leg day and ditching the hamstring accessory exercise. I've even done the push-pull-legs-rest day-ABW type workouts before, with a recovery run/cycle on the weekend.

As long as the basics are right - compounds & small calorie surplus/deficit (depending on goals) + progressive overload - different methods can work.
Yeah back and legs together are solid, as I said the other day when I was hamstrung with work/sport

Yeah I'll definitely be running at a small deficit over summer and autumn, gotta lose the kilos, however happy with the strength progress the last 5 months, I needed to get a good solid strength block in so future hypertrophy blocks wouldn't run me down, particularly when doing those core compound lifts with not much energy to burn

Last time I tried a proper hypertrophy block and a calorie deficit was in 2017, it was good for a few months but I eventually plateaued and had to either increase calories to maintenance or change the times I trained, for example I really struggled doing weights the next morning/afternoon after a heavy cardio session the night beforehand with say less than 2 meals or less than 18-20 hours rest, found it alot easier to do weights at night then a bit of a fasted cardio the next morning or just stay at around 24 hours rest per session. However I didn't have months of a proper strength base behind me back then like I do now, as I was only just coming back into exercise consistency in 2016 after a good 5+ years of inconsistency tiptoeing around the injuries, so yeah, see how it goes this time.

Last time I tried a proper hypertrophy block and a calorie deficit was in 2017, it was good for a few months but I eventually plateaued and had to either increase calories to maintenance or change the times I trained, for example I really struggled doing weights the next morning/afternoon after a heavy cardio session the night beforehand with say less than 2 meals or less than 18-20 hours rest, found it alot easier to do weights at night then a bit of a fasted cardio the next morning or just stay at around 24 hours rest per session. However I didn't have months of a proper strength base behind me back then like I do now, as I was only just coming back into exercise consistency in 2016 after a good 5+ years of inconsistency tiptoeing around the injuries, so yeah, see how it goes this time.
Yeah I'm only starting a couple of small fasts per week, fasted on Sunday then just had veggies with a little tempeh at night.
After leg yesterday I've fasted today so far except for a couple of black coffees and cups of eta, still just managed a 20+ minute recovery jog which I've never been able to do after leg days previously.

Yeah I'm only starting a couple of small fasts per week, fasted on Sunday then just had veggies with a little tempeh at night.
After leg yesterday I've fasted today so far except for a couple of black coffees and cups of eta, still just managed a 20+ minute recovery jog which I've never been able to do after leg days previously.
Apart from the tempeh, you taking in any other protein? Definitely noticed a hit in my recovery rates when I cut back on protein about 6 weeks ago for a week when I was running low and low on cash lol, definitely had to have bigger rest periods per set for a few days until I had a spare $50 to go to Chemist Warehouse

Apart from the tempeh, you taking in any other protein? Definitely noticed a hit in my recovery rates when I cut back on protein about 6 weeks ago for a week when I was running low and low on cash lol, definitely had to have bigger rest periods per set for a few days
Not on fasting days.
I'm going through a dozen eggs at least during the week as WFH means I can actually eat food post-workout and not need whey in the morning and rush to work.

Not on fasting days.
I'm going through a dozen eggs at least during the week as WFH means I can actually eat food post-workout and not need whey in the morning and rush to work.
Yeah definitely helps in that regard then

That's also another thing what I enjoy from training from home, I can start drinking a shake towards the end of my workout rather than wait til I get home, or I'm not wasting $5 a pop on a protein shake from the gyms fridge or the servo or something (normally walked to gym as I lived within a km away unless it was wet or late at night or something), so I'm putting cash into more equipment or physio visits instead of things like that or gym memberships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rack I bought in September from best fitness in Adelaide might fit your bill

View attachment 1286232

2x3 11 gauge steel, 5/8s or M16 hardware, westside spacing. I think Rogue band pegs will be compatible with this rack, however Rogue stopped selling their Infinity line which its attachments would have likely been compatible with this rack :(

The only limitations for this rack is they only come with pin pipe safeties and a pair of fairly standard j cups, no fancy roller j cups or monolift attachments or safety straps or anything are available as yet, the pin pipes are a little cumbersome but for some exercises where I use bands I find them to be quite useful. They do sell a lat attachment, dip attachment and removable plate storage though, but the plate storage sells out quick along with their half rack version of this rack

However for $849 free shipping I think it's bloody decent value. Brand name is Rugged, its from the Body-Solid stable of equipment.

Its around 227-228cm tall, and just under 170cm in length, will be around 190cm in length if the lat attachment is added on

I didn't want the footplate between the rear uprights as I thought it may have been a tripping hazard or make my bench uneven, works fine without it (though I'm not dumping 200+kgs on it every session, most I've racked is 135 and it's rock solid)

They sell Rugged line benches too on that website, their flat bench looks ok, looks like a fat pad powerlifting bench, might get it at a later date.

very nice, what's the website/shop address for best fitness? can't find anything on google.

edit - nvm found it :) https://bestfitness.com.au/

very nice, what's the website/shop address for best fitness? can't find anything on google.

edit - nvm found it :) https://bestfitness.com.au/
Yep that's them

Their name hurts their google searches 😂 other brands come up instead normally

Would be nice if they offered a few more things like plates and dumbbells and a bigger selection of barbells, but for the price I can't complain. I'm unlikely to look at their Powerline stuff as its probably not heavy duty/big enough for mine aside from their 2 most expensive cable machines, but the PPR1000X power rack would work for smaller people/smaller home gyms, looks ok for a 2x2 rack, but yeah their Rugged stuff is legit, very hard to beat for value on those racks.

Anyways

IMG-20211125-WA0008.jpeg

Just put the pulldown together earlier tonight, took my time with it to get it right, made sure the tension was fine on the cables and everything was lubed up so it ran smoothly, took probably about 3 hours. Looks like the upper cable needed to be slightly longer than the lower cable as there's way more slack on the lower cable, so will monitor that over next few weeks (apparently cables stretch a little though with use)

Cost me just under $1200 for the rack + pulldown, would've got it $30-40 cheaper if I bundled it up and bought it together, however was worried it would sell out so pulled the trigger on the rack first 9 weeks ago, free shipping definitely a huge bonus.

Will get the dip attachment next year sometime, maybe plate storage, flat bench and the dumbbell/bumper rack too.

Can anyone recommend a half decent power rack that won't break the bank?

Needs: squats, bench, deads, pull ups. ,obviously will get a wheel in bench for bench press.

Would prefer it not to have inbuilt plate holders as I need to preserve depth (will buy a free standing holder to put next to it).
Marketplace a deal of someone’s home gym with equipment. Cut off the plate holders with an angle grinder if need be.

Yep that's them

Their name hurts their google searches 😂 other brands come up instead normally

Would be nice if they offered a few more things like plates and dumbbells and a bigger selection of barbells, but for the price I can't complain. I'm unlikely to look at their Powerline stuff as its probably not heavy duty/big enough for mine aside from their 2 most expensive cable machines, but the PPR1000X power rack would work for smaller people/smaller home gyms, looks ok for a 2x2 rack, but yeah their Rugged stuff is legit, very hard to beat for value on those racks.

Anyways

View attachment 1287418

Just put the pulldown together earlier tonight, took my time with it to get it right, made sure the tension was fine on the cables and everything was lubed up so it ran smoothly, took probably about 3 hours. Looks like the upper cable needed to be slightly longer than the lower cable as there's way more slack on the lower cable, so will monitor that over next few weeks (apparently cables stretch a little though with use)

Cost me just under $1200 for the rack + pulldown, would've got it $30-40 cheaper if I bundled it up and bought it together, however was worried it would sell out so pulled the trigger on the rack first 9 weeks ago, free shipping definitely a huge bonus.

Will get the dip attachment next year sometime, maybe plate storage, flat bench and the dumbbell/bumper rack too.
Just smashed out my first back workout with the new attachment tonight, not too bad, decent sweat

High cable is far smoother than the lower cable for some reason, but anyways, will hopefully figure it out over next few days so there's not much of a disparity with each other

Could only fit 90kgs of bumper plates for pulldowns on the plate horns, left only about a cm or 2 spare, though I loaded with 20s, 15s and 10s a side, so I might be able to get an extra 2.5/5kg a side and bump it up to 95-100kg if I use some different combination with my 25s, so will try that out next week, that being said, was only doing 4 sets of 6 at 90kg for close grip pulldowns anyway, so I won't need that much more weight, just need to improve my rep ranges there, will be more than enough for rows and wide grip pulldowns though

Probably gunna have to buy more plates next year anyway, so will weigh up trigrips vs cast iron. Trigrips are better for the floor but are a bit thicker than cast iron

Had a good 4 days training in a row, but boy I'm struggling today, was planning for tomorrow off but think it'll be tonight instead :huh:

Probably one of the good things about a home gym, I can pick and choose whenever to train, gotta listen to the body though

Need to work out what to train tomorrow now though, do I go chest and legs together or still chest tomorrow and legs Friday :think:

Weights beforehand is generally better but I don't think it's that black and white, whatever gets 2nd is generally going to suffer a bit, would depend on what your focus would be for improving that day/overall.

It is basically black and white, unless your goal is stamina and endurance, for almost all people in here and at gyms, its to put on a bit of muscle and burn a bit of fat, weights first then cardio.

I will add one caveat thats not addressed but should be added, if you lack motivation and drive to exercise, do whatever it takes to get your arse into gear. So if doing cardio first is more enjoyable and easy to begin a workout then do that. Eventually you will get to a stage to realize the mistake, but by then you would have formed many good habits where motivation to get to the gym is not an issue.

Here is one article, there is literally 100s about why you should do weights first, then cardio for almost all people.

Ok, tested the waters today

Was thinking of heavy doubles and triples around the 120-130 kg range, but felt good at 120 so thought bugger it, see where I was at seeing its been about 6-7 weeks since my 135kg 1RM and I've improved my rep ranges since then

Did a triple at 120, a single at 130 (felt I had a double in me there) then I equalled my 140kg pb for a single, probably was a much better lift than I did when I was 22 as I had help on liftoff then, whereas twas all myself here

Had a 10 minute rest, tried 145, felt good on liftoff and controlling it down, then I hit the sticking point on the way up and had to bail :(

I think seeing elements of the lift felt reasonably solid, perhaps if I went straight to 145 instead of 140 I may have got it in

3 more weeks to break through that 140 barrier though (150 would be nice, but probably beyond me at the moment)

Westside spacing on racks is elite by the way, I may add

Failed that 145 and had no problems flipping the bar towards my neck and ducking out under the bar, the rack takes it pretty well too. Was the first time I've properly failed bench in there, tested failing 100kgs the week I got the rack just to check the right heights and stuff, but yeah, legit fail in progress today, none of this tilting the plates to the side off the bar s**t many people end up doing when failing because they don't bother with safeties as they think they impede on their lift (only will if you bench like an idiot with your elbows flared right out meaning your shoulders are internally rotated and rounded and doing all the lifting)

Anyways, reckon I'm leaning towards a fat pad flat bench or something with a wider pad than my current adjustable bench (couple inches lower to the ground too) as it'll give more support to the old scapula/upper back for better stability. Was thinking of an adjustable attachment bench instead but I think I just need to improvise in regards to accessory movements as I should have room for a preacher bench and a leg curl/leg extension (leg curl/leg extension are pretty versatile, finding the right one can do calf raises, standing leg curls and hip thrusts also)

I've finally reprogrammed myself to not default to chest and to focus on back and shoulders and that's going really well, especially back which is probably as wide as it's ever been.

But my triceps are ******* terrible. Pls halp. It's not like I don't focus a lot on them coz I love tricep training, but results are sub optimal

I've finally reprogrammed myself to not default to chest and to focus on back and shoulders and that's going really well, especially back which is probably as wide as it's ever been.

But my triceps are ******* terrible. Pls halp. It's not like I don't focus a lot on them coz I love tricep training, but results are sub optimal

What do you do for triceps?

I'm doing rep accumulation for my incline dumbbell bench. 3x8, 3x9, 3x10, 3x11, 3x12, increase weight, 3x8, etc. But I failed on my 3x8 yesterday, only got 6 reps on the last set. Rested about 90-120 seconds between sets. Was almost going to cluster rep the last two. Should I just keep going and try something else if I fail a couple more times? My plan atm is to try and hit 7 or 8 reps on that last set in my next workout session on Monday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back