440,000​
117,300​
ColemanHollandsRookieRookie
267,000​
123,900​
117,300​
117300​
2,187,800​
Like this version a lot. Doubt you start both those rucks though. Reckon you'll need to get the cash to upgrade one of them up to Darcey/Gawn/Grundy. Personally Marshall is too big an injury risk to start in the ruck.

Like the Hayes pick, he might be this year's Flynn. Just need Lyjett to strain his disgusting moustache and it's on.

LOL, fair enough.

Phillips will be $250k odd. Is he going to make the $150k required to be a good choice? So average 80+ I don't see it, reckon he gets lost among North's many young mid's. Can see JHF going past him quickly.
I think the 80+ rule is a bit of a fallacy.
It ignores the fact 18 year old forward rookies generally suck. Which is what you would be replacing him with.
I prefer to spend the extra 100k up forward for better JS and a 10-15 point upgrade each week.
50 average for a 120k player vs 70 average from a 250k player vs 90 average for a 450k player.
Your paying 130k extra (on a rookie price) to average 20 points less than a premo.

Last edited:
Like this version a lot. Doubt you start both those rucks though. Reckon you'll need to get the cash to upgrade one of them up to Darcey/Gawn/Grundy. Personally Marshall is too big an injury risk to start in the ruck.

Like the Hayes pick, he might be this year's Flynn. Just need Lyjett to strain his disgusting moustache and it's on.

I think Hayes should get plenty of games next year with Ladhams gone who played 17 games this year, they seemed to like playing 2 rucks plus Dixon forward and Lycett is 30 now so they need to get games into him.
Also I think Darcy would be a great R1 plenty of late Sunday games could be a great captain option if VC fails just need to fit him in.

Last edited:

I think the 80+ rule is a bit of a fallacy.
It ignores the fact 18 year old forward rookies generally suck. Which is what you would be replacing him with.
I prefer to spend the extra 100k up forward for better JS and a 10-15 point upgrade each week.
It's not so much averaging 80+ as making $150k min. Barry Roundhouse uses that rule of thumb and after two top 10 finishes in a row I think the kent knows what he's talking about!

Much easier for a bottom priced rookie to make $150k+ than a guy starting at $250k.

It's not so much averaging 80+ as making $150k min. Barry Roundhouse uses that rule of thumb and after two top 10 finishes in a row I think the kent knows what he's talking about!

Much easier for a bottom priced rookie to make $150k+ than a guy starting at $250k.
Sure but you need to limit the number of 50 averages you are fielding each week.
I would be paying 130k extra more for that one player.
And I dont need to guess who to field each week.

Last edited:

It can be done both ways but you need a lot of luck. I only had 8 rookies make $150+ this year and it didn't hurt my overall too much.

buttox has gone full (fool) north nuffie this year :moustache:

I thought he was listing a possible FWD line, so was advising that Phillips (Haw) lost his DPP and is MID only. Obviously, as has been pointed out, he meant Phillips (Nth) who is MID as well........so I'm still just as confused....;)

JHF’s CD stats were pretty poor this year, correct?

I can see him scoring pretty low in his first year, with a couple of big games.

Phillips might be a decent selection with another pre-season, if he gets plenty of CBA’s. North our now stacked in the mids though.

Sean Darcy
He looks magnificent. I was watching him (on Monday) and he’s easily in the best shape of his career. There’s a guy over here, a personal trainer that a lot of these local guys here have been using in the off-season. In their four to six weeks off they go to this bloke three or four times a week and they come out sculpted and Darcy was the first one to do it. He started doing it two or three years ago and now they’re all there. Even the guys form Melbourne and the Bulldogs that were over and stayed over from the Grand Final were all going too. He’s like a sculptor of bodies and that’s where Darcy’s breakout came from, he even said in in (Doig Medal winning) speech. It’s a really good sign that he cares that much about getting in shape, his ceiling is massive. Brodie Grundy and Max Gawn are probably still one and two in terms of fantasy ruckman, but I reckon Darcy is going to push them this year. Within two to three years it’s not going to be a competition, he’ll just be the number one guy, he’s looking fantastic, better than I’ve seen him at this time of year.

Caleb Serong
I was massive on Caleb Serong last pre-season, I talked him up every single place. I think I did it on this podcast and his start was really slow and I was really surprised by that. By the time he clicked into gear he exploded and that’s what I think he is. This guy is already a leader at this Club, he’s already shown that he’s an elite ball-winner, he’s hard as nails, he’s got that Joel Selwood thing where he just starts the game with strapping around his head, he’s a warrior. I think he’s just going to be a fantastic midfielder for the next 15 years, I would be putting a lot of stock into Caleb Serong from a fantasy perspective and from what he can possibly achieve in his career. He’s just an absolute find for the Fremantle Dockers and him and Andy Brayshaw together are going to be their one-two punch for a long time.

Phillips might be a decent selection with another pre-season, if he gets plenty of CBA’s. North our now stacked in the mids though.

Imagine if you don't pick him and then he Tons up the first 2 rounds like Rowell did :$
Personally I think the pick of the 1st rounders will be Ward

Imagine if you don't pick him and then he Tons up the first 2 rounds like Rowell did :$
Personally I think the pick of the 1st rounders will be Ward

Both Ward and Hobbs should be good choices and will score big in a number of games. Johnson (Freo) could easily be one of the higher scoring rookies. Looking at the draft list too, there are a hell of a lot of potential contributors next year taken in the second round. Johnson, Goater, McDonald, Motlop, Sonsie.

Full guns and rooks besides a couple of low-risk MPP (Cogs) is probably the go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Started rowell last year and copped his injured round 1 6sc points.
$340,000 has me tempted again but im getting rockliff flashbacks, scoring big getting injured and burning trades.
What's the insight for his 2022?

He's a fair bit better with the opposite foot than his brother was at the same stage

I was talking about him actually kicking the ball. He loves a handball and unless he backs himself kicking he will never be a good SC scorer.

Fin.JPG

Started rowell last year and copped his injured round 1 6sc points.
$340,000 has me tempted again but im getting rockliff flashbacks, scoring big getting injured and burning trades.
What's the insight for his 2022?
He's training the house down of course.

Looks in ripping nick, along with several other young suns. Preseason watch for me. Not sure it's worth risking a mid-pricer in midfield this season. Either SP's or rookies for me there.

He scores a lot of his points from tackles.
The defensive side of his game is first rate.
More Touk/Steele than a Walsh type.
How that translates to AFL scores is another question.
His 160 point prelim game in the SANFL came from 23 touches.
I will be taking him for certain. But I understand if others don't.

Last edited:
Sure but you need to limit the number of 50 averages you are fielding each week.
I would be paying 130k extra more for that one player.
And I dont need to guess who to field each week.
Oh yeah absolutely, you have much more confidence in a player @ $250k not squirting out a 30.

Cash gen is everything though, a bottom priced rookie only needs 2-3 good scores to fly up to $300k+ and they can be traded. A low score or two isn't always the end of the world for them. If you $250k man has a couple of 40-50's then their cash gen dies and you've spent $250k to make no cash for upgrades.

I don't see many players around that price this year that might do a Ziebell and be a keeper. The rookies were a bit s**t last year and having Ziebell/Impey/Daniher really saved us from a needing an extra few upgrades we wouldn't have been able to afford due to there not being enough good rook's.

He's training the house down of course.

Looks in ripping nick, along with several other young suns. Preseason watch for me. Not sure it's worth risking a mid-pricer in midfield this season. Either SP's or rookies for me there.
Cheers, i assume his poor scoring was lack of fitness post injury last season?

Cheers, i assume his poor scoring was lack of fitness post injury last season?
Yeah, he lost a lot of condition when out. Did well in short bursts when he came back, but was gassed and had low TOG. I think they were just nursing him through after 2 bad injuries so early in his career.

He's all class though, so will hopefully come out firing next year.

Oh yeah absolutely, you have much more confidence in a player @ $250k not squirting out a 30.

Cash gen is everything though, a bottom priced rookie only needs 2-3 good scores to fly up to $300k+ and they can be traded. A low score or two isn't always the end of the world for them. If you $250k man has a couple of 40-50's then their cash gen dies and you've spent $250k to make no cash for upgrades.

I don't see many players around that price this year that might do a Ziebell and be a keeper. The rookies were a bit sh*t last year and having Ziebell/Impey/Daniher really saved us from a needing an extra few upgrades we wouldn't have been able to afford due to there not being enough good rook's.
70 average will only net you about 80k on the original investment over say the first 6 rounds.
Its not making a great deal I agree. But its an early upgrade at worst while taking scores that are that little bit better than your 50 average rookie.
200k difference in starting price(a premo vs a 250k type.) is pretty much the difference between say Cogs and Oliver.
If I spend the saved cash on an upgrade like that while also taking the 10-15 point gain Phillips gives me over a rookie I'm well in front.
People underrate players in that 200-300k bracket. Picking the right one is the hard part.
If it fails and we get a 65-70 average, it is not the end of the world, you just trade them out early for the flavour of the week.

Sean Darcy
He looks magnificent. I was watching him (on Monday) and he’s easily in the best shape of his career. There’s a guy over here, a personal trainer that a lot of these local guys here have been using in the off-season. In their four to six weeks off they go to this bloke three or four times a week and they come out sculpted and Darcy was the first one to do it. He started doing it two or three years ago and now they’re all there. Even the guys form Melbourne and the Bulldogs that were over and stayed over from the Grand Final were all going too. He’s like a sculptor of bodies and that’s where Darcy’s breakout came from, he even said in in (Doig Medal winning) speech. It’s a really good sign that he cares that much about getting in shape, his ceiling is massive. Brodie Grundy and Max Gawn are probably still one and two in terms of fantasy ruckman, but I reckon Darcy is going to push them this year. Within two to three years it’s not going to be a competition, he’ll just be the number one guy, he’s looking fantastic, better than I’ve seen him at this time of year.

Caleb Serong
I was massive on Caleb Serong last pre-season, I talked him up every single place. I think I did it on this podcast and his start was really slow and I was really surprised by that. By the time he clicked into gear he exploded and that’s what I think he is. This guy is already a leader at this Club, he’s already shown that he’s an elite ball-winner, he’s hard as nails, he’s got that Joel Selwood thing where he just starts the game with strapping around his head, he’s a warrior. I think he’s just going to be a fantastic midfielder for the next 15 years, I would be putting a lot of stock into Caleb Serong from a fantasy perspective and from what he can possibly achieve in his career. He’s just an absolute find for the Fremantle Dockers and him and Andy Brayshaw together are going to be their one-two punch for a long time.

The personal trainer I think is referred to is a place called Body Majik. They work with a lot of AFL players over there and Luke Jackson goes there to bulk up. They're very good so I trust that Darcy is in good shape.

I might be wrong though, that's just the one I know.

Both Ward and Hobbs should be good choices and will score big in a number of games. Johnson (Freo) could easily be one of the higher scoring rookies. Looking at the draft list too, there are a hell of a lot of potential contributors next year taken in the second round. Johnson, Goater, McDonald, Motlop, Sonsie.

Full guns and rooks besides a couple of low-risk MPP (Cogs) is probably the go.
Horne, NWM, Johnson, Erasmus, Roberts for me.
I plan on skipping the Vic rookies unless they go nuts in the NAB.
They have not really played any footy for the last 2 years.
I reckon not playing the game you are developing in is guaranteed to stunt development.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back