Remove this Banner Ad

B Ryan Pearce Logue
HB Young Cox Walker
C Clark Johnson Henry
HF Sturt Taberner Erasmus
F Walters Treacy Amiss
R Darcy Fyfe Serong
I Mundy Chapman Benning Switkowski

From memory Sydney had a very short backline that night and he played on a guy 6 inches shorter than him.
I sincerely hope his best football for us is ahead of him.
yeah he played on Rampe that night iirc, who admittedly with the amount of holding/s ragging he does, somewhat makes up for the height gap

If Colyer isn’t getting pushed out of games during the year, I don’t think we will play finals.
A similar position to Conca, good foot soldiers, but we need players at Peel ripping it up for selection.
As for speed Walker, Clark, Frederick in the same team would be something behold.
I do agree, that we need to be pushing Colyer out by mid-year if we want to play finals, but that's how I see it for round 1. As much as I would love to just swap Colyer for Walker, we need that speed in our forward half.

All 4 are in his team, safe to say there is no shitty Brayshaws in this mob
unfair to use the term shitty
that has never been close to a term used for a player i like, & have stated is much better than i gave credit for.
i would expect better from a mod

unfair to use the term shitty
that has never been close to a term used for a player i like, & have stated is much better than i gave credit for.
i would expect better from a mod
I always find it funny how mods supposedly have to be at some really high standard. I like to have a laugh with all the non-mod plebians, otherwise I'd not see the funny side of your baiting and I'd like to see you back on here more often.

So Brayshaw was a deliberate omission?
yes.
he is better than i have given him credit for, but not in my choice of best 22.
i know that is wildly unpopular, including by experts, but that is the way i see it.
of course if we played him as a tagger, his running ability, effort & tackling ability would win him a place in my team.
anyway, maybe this show we are spoilt for choice as I also left out regulars in 2021 such as Aish, Lobb, Acres, Colyer, Shultz & Wilson, as well as (not for 2021), Hamling as well.

yes.
i know that is wildly unpopular, including by experts, but that is the way i see it.
of course if we played him as a tagger, his running ability, effort & tackling ability would win him a place in my team.
anyway, maybe this show we are spoilt for choice as I also left out regulars in 2021 such as Aish, Lobb, Acres, Colyer, Shultz & Wilson, as well as (not for 2021), Hamling as well.

Insane commitment to the bit, i love it

Sturt needs to play 20 games. Ditto Pearce, Logue Chapman and Young. We have lost so much development time, if it continues to happen it will be hard for those players (chapman aside as it is his second year) to develop into the players we need them to be.

Hamling is training early and if we can get more than 15 games our back line will be amazing. I am not sure where Cox fits in that scenario but it is clear that for smalls Logue is ahead of him and for talls Hamling and Pearce when fit are in front of him.

Walters is looking fit this pre season. Last year he came in and there were jokes about his weight. A terrible season was the result. He looked like he turned the corner in his last game. A lock if fit and in shape. If he is not in shape then on last season he was barely a C grader.

Here is my attempt based on all fit and in shape.

Ryan - Hamling - Logue

Chapman - Pearce - Walker

Aish - Fyfe - Colyer

Sturt - Lobb - Erasmus

Walters - Tabs - Lachie

Darcy - Brayshaw - Serrong

Young - Brodie - Clark - Mundy

Emg / next four - Cox - Treacy - Tucker - Hughes - Freddy

I have put Colyer on the team based on last seasons form. Tucker should have that spot and own it. His slow ball drop is an issue but he should still be able to be a solid B grader and sometimes better if he can stay fit.

Cox = Just don't know where to put him. He is a better user of the ball than Pearce or Hamling, but if all are in form the others are structurally more important imo.

If we can get Erasmus through the midfield then we have a deep midfield unit. That defensive unit gives lock down pressure, intercept ability and attacking flair. I found the forward line the hardest based on Tabs filling space he shouldn't and wanting to continue Treacy's development. Amiss should start in the WAFL and hopefully put a heap of pressure on the players in the team. Anything more than 2-5 games and he is a genius gun or we have been smashed by injuries.

On a nice note, that team should play finals and finish in the 13 win range without much trouble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes.
I want that ability to wilfully ignore what’s in front of my face to confirm my own bias. Must be bliss.

This is how I'd expect us to line up next year, with a full list to pick from.

FREO
FB: Ryan, Pearce, Logue
HB: Clark, Cox, Young
C: Tucker, Fyfe, Aish
HF: Sturt, Taberner, Schultz
FF: Walters, Treacy, Lobb
R: Darcy, Brayshaw, Serong
INT: Mundy, Henry, Frederick, Colyer

PEEL
FB: Wilson, Hamling, Hughes
HB: Walker, Chapman, O'Driscoll
C: Johnson, Blakely, Worner
HF: Banfield, Benning, Erasmus
FF: Western, Amiss, Switkowski
R: Meek, Valente, Crowden
INT: Acres,

I know Colyer may raise some eyebrows, but can't knock his 2021 and we're still not blessed with speed. Also hoping we see more of Henry on the wing next year.
I agree re Colyer and his leadership and mentoring of the young guys is excellent. You need a few older heads to help develop the younger players.
hopefully Sonny can recapture his form as he does this also.

Last edited:
yes.
What specifically have you seen/not seen in the way Brayshaw plays to omit him.

We are at the stage where the older players need to be pushed aside by the younger ones coming through, rather than the young ones being given games to fast track their development. If Banfield is in ahead of Erasmus that is pretty good incentive for Erasmus. Beats being in the side because we have no other option.

yes.
P
We are at the stage where the older players need to be pushed aside by the younger ones coming through, rather than the young ones being given games to fast track their development. If Banfield is in ahead of Erasmus that is pretty good incentive for Erasmus. Beats being in the side because we have no other option.
On every line you can argue for and against, insert players name.
It’s not a best 22 rather a best 30 scenario and that’s a position we have rarely been in.
Your only as good as your bottom 6 so it’s going to be interesting to see who survives the cut.
I’d even argue that going the draft route is something different
for our club.
We have done smarter trades and kept our valued picks.
Certainly feels like it’s 2010 all over again.

Sturt needs to play 20 games. Ditto Pearce, Logue Chapman and Young. We have lost so much development time, if it continues to happen it will be hard for those players (chapman aside as it is his second year) to develop into the players we need them to be.

Hamling is training early and if we can get more than 15 games our back line will be amazing. I am not sure where Cox fits in that scenario but it is clear that for smalls Logue is ahead of him and for talls Hamling and Pearce when fit are in front of him.

Walters is looking fit this pre season. Last year he came in and there were jokes about his weight. A terrible season was the result. He looked like he turned the corner in his last game. A lock if fit and in shape. If he is not in shape then on last season he was barely a C grader.

Here is my attempt based on all fit and in shape.

Ryan - Hamling - Logue

Chapman - Pearce - Walker

Aish - Fyfe - Colyer

Sturt - Lobb - Erasmus

Walters - Tabs - Lachie

Darcy - Brayshaw - Serrong

Young - Brodie - Clark - Mundy

Emg / next four - Cox - Treacy - Tucker - Hughes - Freddy

I have put Colyer on the team based on last seasons form. Tucker should have that spot and own it. His slow ball drop is an issue but he should still be able to be a solid B grader and sometimes better if he can stay fit.

Cox = Just don't know where to put him. He is a better user of the ball than Pearce or Hamling, but if all are in form the others are structurally more important imo.

If we can get Erasmus through the midfield then we have a deep midfield unit. That defensive unit gives lock down pressure, intercept ability and attacking flair. I found the forward line the hardest based on Tabs filling space he shouldn't and wanting to continue Treacy's development. Amiss should start in the WAFL and hopefully put a heap of pressure on the players in the team. Anything more than 2-5 games and he is a genius gun or we have been smashed by injuries.

On a nice note, that team should play finals and finish in the 13 win range without much trouble.

My version -
FB - Ryan Pearce Logue
HB - Chapman Cox Young
C - Clarke Brayshaw Henry
HF - Sturt Lobb Walters
FF - Schultz Tabs Treacy
R - Darcy Fyfe Serong
I - Tucker Freddy Walker Aish/Brodie
E - Hughes/NOD/Erasmus/Colyer etc...

Most notable changes - Brayshaw just acts like a proper old school centreman I think, so that's where I've put him, If you've left him out of your side you need your head read... No way Erasmus is coming in for a first game debut so he'll have to earn his spot I think. Young over Walker erry day on a back flank. And if Chappy is fit he get's the other one so it's up to Walker to displace him I think. Henry moves up to a wing after his 3rd pre-season. Clarke gets the other one, don't care if wants to play off a flank, he looks like an Isaac Sith clone the way he runs around and if could anything close to that good on a wing for us I'll be stoked. Pearce and Cox are set best 22 I think so Hamling will have to push one of them out. Walters isn't a forward pocket, so he moves up to a flank and gets to roam around a bit getting a few possies and deliver it into the forward line. Treacy is a bit like Brayshaw, if you've left him out you need your head read... Offers so much more than just a big body, chases and tackles hard and actually knows how to kick a goal unlike Crabenar/Lobb.
Logue to have a PROPER break out season too I think.
Anyway that's my 2cents.

My version -
FB - Ryan Pearce Logue
HB - Chapman Cox Young
C - Clarke Brayshaw Henry
HF - Sturt Lobb Walters
FF - Schultz Tabs Treacy
R - Darcy Fyfe Serong
I - Tucker Freddy Walker Aish/Brodie
E - Hughes/NOD/Erasmus/Colyer etc...

Most notable changes - Brayshaw just acts like a proper old school centreman I think, so that's where I've put him, If you've left him out of your side you need your head read... No way Erasmus is coming in for a first game debut so he'll have to earn his spot I think. Young over Walker erry day on a back flank. And if Chappy is fit he get's the other one so it's up to Walker to displace him I think. Henry moves up to a wing after his 3rd pre-season. Clarke gets the other one, don't care if wants to play off a flank, he looks like an Isaac Sith clone the way he runs around and if could anything close to that good on a wing for us I'll be stoked. Pearce and Cox are set best 22 I think so Hamling will have to push one of them out. Walters isn't a forward pocket, so he moves up to a flank and gets to roam around a bit getting a few possies and deliver it into the forward line. Treacy is a bit like Brayshaw, if you've left him out you need your head read... Offers so much more than just a big body, chases and tackles hard and actually knows how to kick a goal unlike Crabenar/Lobb.
Logue to have a PROPER break out season too I think.
Anyway that's my 2cents.
Enjoyed reading this, and just a couple of comments.

Wilson doesn't even rate a mention in your post which is interesting, especially with the two logical replacements (Walker and Clark) aren't in the backline either. We may have moved past him, and will be interesting to see how that plays out.

That is a massive backline, which may not always work.

I'm optimistic about Henry but Aish and Colyer are significantly ahead of him at this stage I reckon. I certainly don't feel confident enough to throw him a plum role ahead of those two as well as several other candidates.

This is how I'd expect us to line up next year, with a full list to pick from.

FREO
FB: Ryan, Pearce, Logue
HB: Clark, Cox, Young
C: Tucker, Fyfe, Aish
HF: Sturt, Taberner, Schultz
FF: Walters, Treacy, Lobb
R: Darcy, Brayshaw, Serong
INT: Mundy, Henry, Frederick, Colyer

PEEL
FB: Wilson, Hamling, Hughes
HB: Walker, Chapman, O'Driscoll
C: Johnson, Blakely, Worner
HF: Banfield, Benning, Erasmus
FF: Western, Amiss, Switkowski
R: Meek, Valente, Crowden
INT: Acres,

I know Colyer may raise some eyebrows, but can't knock his 2021 and we're still not blessed with speed. Also hoping we see more of Henry on the wing next year.
How amazing would it be if the footy gods let us go to round one with not one injury !!! Id like to know how that feels.
Gotta say its the first time I can remember us having two full line-ups with so much upside

Remove this Banner Ad

Back