Team for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
With our trades basically done for the year I'm going early.

B: Khamis Keith Duryea
HB: Williams O'brien Dale
C: Hunter Dunkley Macrae
HF: Treloar Naughon Daniel
F: Weightman Ugle-Hagen Vanders

R: English Smith Bonti

I: Libba Richards Schache JJ

E: Hannan, West, Sweet, Garcia

Out from GF: Hannan, Cordy, Wood, Martin
In from GF: Khamis, Obrien, Ugle-Hagen, Richards

I really like Khamis and can see him becoming our number one stopper in the team. Can play the third tall defender due to his height. Obrien's much needed marking ability.
My preferred centre square is Bonti, Dunks and Smith, yet with rotations with Trealoar, Libba and occasionally Macrae who I prefer from the wing.
I'd prefer Daniel up forward or as I see Richards (bench) playing in defence.
I'm throwing the gauntlet down to English. Its your turn to be number 1 ruck. See how he goes for 3 weeks, then re-shuffle if need be. The coaches need to get more out of his ruck work. Sweet is waiting in the wings.
Woody, Cordy and Martin are backup for me. Hannan played a great Prelim final and was on the cusp of the team.
As most know, I'm big on JUH and think he should be played round 1. I think he will explode next year and clearly be our logical deepest forward.
Schache on the bench for flexibility at both ends.
Yes, I'm happy to go O'rien over Cordy and Gardener (who is improving) as Khamis plays tall and Schache is an option.

As we all know Bevo gives them all a go, so the side would change a lot, yet that's my take.

Dec 18, 2003
Braybrook
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Sunderland, Willy Wolves
With our trades basically done for the year I'm going early.

B: Khamis Keith Duryea
HB: Williams O'brien Dale
C: Hunter Dunkley Macrae
HF: Treloar Naughon Daniel
F: Weightman Ugle-Hagen Vanders

R: English Smith Bonti

I: Libba Richards Schache JJ

E: Hannan, West, Sweet, Garcia

Out from GF: Hannan, Cordy, Wood, Martin
In from GF: Khamis, Obrien, Ugle-Hagen, Richards

I really like Khamis and can see him becoming our number one stopper in the team. Can play the third tall defender due to his height. Obrien's much needed marking ability.
My preferred centre square is Bonti, Dunks and Smith, yet with rotations with Trealoar, Libba and occasionally Macrae who I prefer from the wing.
I'd prefer Daniel up forward or as I see Richards (bench) playing in defence.
I'm throwing the gauntlet down to English. Its your turn to be number 1 ruck. See how he goes for 3 weeks, then re-shuffle if need be. The coaches need to get more out of his ruck work. Sweet is waiting in the wings.
Woody, Cordy and Martin are backup for me. Hannan played a great Prelim final and was on the cusp of the team.
As most know, I'm big on JUH and think he should be played round 1. I think he will explode next year and clearly be our logical deepest forward.
Schache on the bench for flexibility at both ends.
Yes, I'm happy to go O'rien over Cordy and Gardener (who is improving) as Khamis plays tall and Schache is an option.

As we all know Bevo gives them all a go, so the side would change a lot, yet that's my take.

It's Keath & not Keith

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
B: Williams Keath O’Brien
HB: Dale Gardner Daniel
C: R Smith Dunkley Hunter
HF: B Smith Naughton VDM
FF: Weightman JUH English
R: Sweet Bont Macrae

IC: Treloar Libba Richards JJ

E: Duryea, Cordy, Hannan, Schache, Crozier, Garcia, Martin, Wood, Scott, Wallis

Duryea has been superb but I’m expecting Ed to go past him as the 7th defender over the pre-season. We don’t need a ‘utility’ in Schache with 3 talls each up forward and down back.

The squad is still 30-32 deep at least. A few premiership players and some other handy types, with Bruce to come back.

Shacf501

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
B: Duryea Keath O’Brien
HB: Dale Schache Richards
C: Treloar Williams B Smith
HF: Dunkley Naughton Daniel
FF: Weightman English JUH
R: Martin Bont Macrae

IC: Libba Hunter Crozier, VDM

E: Sweet, Garcia, West, Khamis

Like to see Daniel playing in the front half of the ground. He's clean, doesn't fumble and obviously has fantastic foot skills. Makes our forwards lead to the right places as he actually kicks to space and forces them to lead. Could rotate up on the wing in a rotation with Ads or Baz. Also, with Naughts athletic ability and taking marks around the half forward line to centre wing having Daniel getting quick hands of him and kicking inside 50 would be great! Just have to teach Naughts to give hands!

As for hunter... good player, gets the ball a lot but doesn't do much. Stops our run every time he gets the ball as he stops and props. Obviously he is good enough to play but I struggle to see if he is beneficial with the amount of ball he gets. He makes the bench at best!

Would love to see Bailey Williams unleashed in the middle. He is tough, has mongrel and a couple years ago did really well in there at various times. Would love to see him given the opportunity.

Last edited:

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Unless Martin's body miraculously recomposes, we're going to be running out sides next year where JUH is the second KPF. Hope he has a massive, massive pre-season.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FB- Duryea Gardner Williams
HB- O'Brien Keath Dale
C- B.Smith Dunkley Hunter
HF- Treloar Naughton Vandermeer
FF- Ugle-Hagan English Weightman
R- Sweet Bontempelli Macrae
I- Daniel Liberatore Schache Garcia
S-West

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
FB: Duryea - Keath - Williams
HB: O'Brien - Gardner - Dale
C: B. Smith - Bontempelli - Hunter
HF: Vandermeer - Schache - Treloar
FF: Weightman - Naughton - English

R: Martin - Dunkley - Macrae

I: Richards - Liberatore - Daniel - Garcia/Johannisen
S: Johannisen/Garcia

McLean and Bruce obviously in when fit. I don't think JUH will be quite ready but wouldn't be surprised to see him feature in a big way later in the year.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
B: Williams - Keath - O’Brien
HB: Dale - Gardner - Duryea
C: R Smith - Libba - Hunter
HF: B Smith - Naughton - VDM
FF: Weightman - English - JUH
R: Martin - Bont - Macrae

IC: Treloar - Dunkley - West - Daniel

E: JJ - Cordy - Hannan - Richards

Stef Martin and Jordon Sweet to be swapping out all year. Martin playing when fit, Sweet coming in whenever Martin needs the rest. Going into 2022 with such a thin ruck setup and no Bruce means we simply have to play Sweet as often as we can. VDM, Garcia, West and McNeil battling it out all year for two spots.

Ideally, we'd have Richards and Schache training with the defenders, JJ training with the forwards, and Sweet developing a tank.

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
Keith Richards libba macrae dunkley naughton
Weightman Hunter English Garcia treloar
Williams Daniel Dale obrien bont roarke Smith bailey Smith
Duryea jamarra hagan jj hannan

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FB: Duryea, Gardiner, O'Brien
HB: Dale, Keath, Williams
C: Treloar, Bont, Hunter
HF: B.Smith, Naughton, VDM
FF: English, JUH, Weightman
R: Martin, Macrae, Libba
Int: Daniel, Dunkley, Richards, Garcia
EMG: Sweet, Schache, JJ, R.Smith

cecil

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FB: Williams, Keath, O'Brien
HB: Dale, Gardner, Duryea
C: Roarke, Dunkley, Hunter
HF: Garcia, Naughton, Smith
FF: Weightman, English, JUH
R: ????, Bont, Macrae
Int: Daniel, Libba, Treloar, Vandermeer
Sub: JJ
Emerg: Wallis, Richards, Schache

Ruck to switch between Martin, Sweet, and a to be drafted player throughout the year. English will also play games as the #1 ruck, especially when Bruce is back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Is anyone else concerned about Keath's hamstrings? He did his hamstring against Melbourne in round 18, and missed the Prelim with a hamstring too. He wasn't 100% for the GF.

Yes. That’s why we should have considered drafting a genuine KPD if available.

Hope Gardner can stay on the park and go to the next level!

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For Round 1.

B: O'Brien (4), Keath, Williams
HB: Dale, Gardner (5), Duryea
C: Hunter, Bontempelli, B Smith
HF: JJ(1), Naughton, Treloar
F: English, JUH (5), Weightman
R: Sweet (5), Macrae, Libba
I: Daniel, Dunkley, Roarke, West(5)
E(2): Martin, Richards, VDM (3), Cordy

Notes:

(1) JJ did enough in the finals to make him a starter for Round 1 but the rest of 2021 was pretty ordinary. He should be looking over his shoulder.
(2) Schache and Hannan will have to work their way back into the team. In the end, you have to say not enough credits each from 2021 and we need to rejig to avoid going backwards. Also missing from GF, Cordy, Wood and Martin. That's 5 players or 20% of the GF team. We need to do this.
(3) VDM is a very poor kick for goal (set shot or on the run), it is hard to pick him for the seniors as a forward until he improves this.
(4) O'Brien looks like an instant upgrade on Wood and 193cm Cordy.
(5) We just have to start playing these guys and get the games under their belts otherwise we increase the risk of going backwards on last year.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m interested to see what we do with Schache. I hope he trains as a defender all summer but with Bruce going down and the finals role I wonder if he stays forward now.

He was serviceable at CHB in the EF against Bombres. He was serviceable as a KPF in the SF against the Lions. He was excellent as a KPF in the PF against Port. The rest of 2021 for him was mediocre barring a few good showings in the VFL. I think he starts in the twos, focuses on being a swingman and earning his way back into the firsts. We have a few players whose supporters on this forum live off scarce memories, sometimes from seasons back. Schache is one of these. He will be delisted at the end of 22 (my tip) unless there is a fairly miraculous turnaround.

Jan 18, 2011
North Bondi
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Being bored crap less with no footy - I have had another go at our starting team for 22 and where I think it might end up by end of the year.

FB: TOB, Keath, Williams

C: Hunter Macrae Trelor

R: Martin Bont Libba

HF: JJ Naughty Hannan

FF: JUH English Weightman

Int: Duryea, Daniel (playing wing/HF), Dunkley Crozier

By end of year:

- Bruce will be back - for Hannan (JUH move to his place if he steps up)
- McLean back - for worst performer at the time
- Sweet or Darcy - depending on whether English improves and/or JUH steps up - for Martin
- Also expect we will see plenty of games for García, West, McNeil and Scott
- Gardner and Cordy will provide solid depth. Really like improvement and in Gardner and he will play a lot but Keath is better on the big FF and Schache does more with his marking and kicking and TOB can play on the mobile third

cherrypie

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
FB: Gardner - Keath - Duryea
HB: Dale - O'Brien - Williams
C: Hunter - B.Smith - Daniel
HF: Hannan - Naughton - Treloar
FF: Weightman - JUH - English
R: Martin - Bontempelli - Macrae
INT: Libba - Crozier - Dunkley - Richards
EMER: Sweet - Schache - JJ - R.Smith

Notes:
  • Schache next in line for O'Brien and Gardner. Cordy further back in the pecking order
  • Sweet and Martin to rotate throughout the year; English more time forward without Bruce
  • Garcia, McNeil, JJ, Richards and Vandermeer to constantly switch in and out
  • Crozier to regain form at HB
  • Hannan to maintain his form from late in the season and becomes valuable but remains a whipping boy

Being bored crap less with no footy - I have had another go at our starting team for 22 and where I think it might end up by end of the year.

FB: TOB, Keath, Williams

C: Hunter Macrae Trelor

R: Martin Bont Libba

HF: JJ Naughty Hannan

FF: JUH English Weightman

Int: Duryea, Daniel (playing wing/HF), Dunkley Crozier

By end of year:

- Bruce will be back - for Hannan (JUH move to his place if he steps up)
- McLean back - for worst performer at the time
- Sweet or Darcy - depending on whether English improves and/or JUH steps up - for Martin
- Also expect we will see plenty of games for García, West, McNeil and Scott
- Gardner and Cordy will provide solid depth. Really like improvement and in Gardner and he will play a lot but Keath is better on the big FF and Schache does more with his marking and kicking and TOB can play on the mobile third
I didn't know we traded Bailey Smith in the off-season.🤔

Lindsay_Gilbee

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Williams - Keath - Duryea
Dale - O’Brien - Daniel
Hunter - Dunkley - Smith
Treloar - JUH - JJ
Weightman - Naughton - English
Martin - Macrae - Bontempelli