Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Surely the dogs should have chased another ruck. Putting stock in Martin is risky. And they don’t seem to trust English.

I think they were a bit hamstring with trade capital due to deciding to match the Sam Darcy bid.

But if Melbourne had lost the GF and done nothing to address glaring weaknesses, I’d be really disappointed.

Melbourne reacted to the 2018 Prelim smashing the right way - traded out a top player to get cover for an obvious weakness (Hogan for May). And again with Ben Brown at the end of 2020 giving up a second round pick gained by effectively trading out excess ruck backup (Preuss).

Obviously it worked, but even if it didn’t, at least you could see Melbourne were taking risks to try and improve.

The The Western IMO really needed to bite the bullet and see what they could get in exchange for a Dunkley or Hunter or similar. They saw that depth there really doesn’t matter when you’re weak elsewhere, and did nothing about it.

adonski

All Australian
Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think they were a bit hamstring with trade capital due to deciding to match the Sam Darcy bid.

But if Melbourne had lost the GF and done nothing to address glaring weaknesses, I’d be really disappointed.

Melbourne reacted to the 2018 Prelim smashing the right way - traded out a top player to get cover for an obvious weakness (Hogan for May). And again with Ben Brown at the end of 2020 giving up a second round pick gained by effectively trading out excess ruck backup (Preuss).

Obviously it worked, but even if it didn’t, at least you could see Melbourne were taking risks to try and improve.

The The Western IMO really needed to bite the bullet and see what they could get in exchange for a Dunkley or Hunter or similar. They saw that depth there really doesn’t matter when you’re weak elsewhere, and did nothing about it.
Hunter is the one to shift I reckon.

They'd view Dunkley as Libba's successor.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
"I reckon in five years time we're going to be having a hard time working out who is our best mid, a bit like who was the best out of Voss, Black, Aka, Lappin, Ashcroft and Power as they all had different strengths."

North supporters are classic.

Reminds me of us when we had Morton, Scully, Toumpas, Trengove, Gysberts, Blease, Tapscott etc

"I reckon in five years time we're going to be having a hard time working out who is our best mid, a bit like who was the best out of Voss, Black, Aka, Lappin, Ashcroft and Power as they all had different strengths."

North supporters are classic.

Reminds me of us when we had Morton, Scully, Toumpas, Trengove, Gysberts, Blease, Tapscott etc
I've not seen a #1 pick with this much pressure on his shoulders since Scully, maybe Tom Boyd. I guess its their first time, but you'd think they'd tone it down a bit.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've not seen a #1 pick with this much pressure on his shoulders since Scully, maybe Tom Boyd. I guess its their first time, but you'd think they'd tone it down a bit.

It's almost as if there's never been a high draft pick that has dominated Senior SANFL but failed to live up to the hype before... (Gibbs, Toumpas, Aish)

The wraps on Walsh were ridiculous. 'Best player in the system for a decade' etc etc
Yep true and he has lived up to the hype too

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

It’s wild considering only four number 1 picks have won flags.

Drew Banfield, 1992: was recruited by the premiers West Coast, who traded with Sydney for pick 1. Won flags in 1994 and 2006.

Des Headland, 1998: played in one of the Lions three flags in 2002 before immediately being traded to Fremantle, where he contracted severe brain worms and ran for Palmer United in 2013

Luke Hodge: once again drafted by a top 8 side which traded for the number 1 pick, and won flags in a dynasty side

Tom Boyd: drafted by the spooners, but traded to another club and played the only good game of his life as the umps handed The Western™️ a flag.

So that’s two number 1 picks who won a flag after being drafted by the bottom ranked club, and only one who actually won the flag with said spooner (before subsequently leaving the same year).

Of the number 1 picks still in the league it’s hard to see Swallow or Whitfield pinching a flag at this stage. Maybe Whitfield if he seeks a trade. Weitering, McGrath and Walsh will likely all be one club players, and would have to make history as the first players drafted by a wooden spoon Victorian side to win a flag for the club. Will be interesting to see how Rayner’s career goes if Brisbane don’t manage to win one in the next few years after three consecutive top four finishes. Will be a miracle if Rowell stays at the GC for his whole career and wins a flag there but I’d love to see it. Norf fans of course expect JHF to tie with Powell and Thomas for half a dozen Brownlows so that one’s inevitable. Jamarra lol.

Last edited:
The wraps on Walsh were ridiculous. 'Best player in the system for a decade' etc etc
Externally, yes, but from memory even Carlton supporters were a little reserved about him at the time given how many they'd had before.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thinking he has a Luke Hodge type of half back general potential written all over him.

The club rates his potential leadership abilities very highly internally, I know that

Carlton fan on Liam Stocker :drunk:

This thread has 186 pages, which deserves some nuclear level loony:

Looking for Dogs supporters to bite aren't ya ?

Exacting revenge for our GF lose won't happen on a BF forum. Unfortunately that will need to wait until September 2022. However most objective people if asked would prefer the Dogs list over Dees if given the option. I think even Dees supporters would prefer Bevo as coach over Goodwin. Those two things combined should have Dogs slapping around the Dees for the next few years to come.

So the Dees reckon they are fitter than last preseason, as they had already started training. Bont, Marra and a few others have started early as will.

What do we expect to see from Bont this year? Second in the Brownlow, runner up in a Grand Final, even runner up for goal of the year. I don’t think Bont likes coming second.
I don’t understand this post. If he doesn’t like coming second, why would he do it three times in one season?

I don’t understand this post. If he doesn’t like coming second, why would he do it three times in one season?

second for goal of the year, * you'd have to be a serious nuffy to include that.

second for goal of the year, fu** you'd have to be a serious nuffy to include that.
On the other hand Max Gawn came first for coin tosses. What a champion.

When Melbourne got spanked by 60 in the 2000 GF I remember thinking “Geez, we are miles off it.”.

Cleary I should’ve been thinking “Unparalleled success is imminent!!!!” if the The Western supporters are any guide.
When was the last time a team got pumped in a GF and came back the following year to win it all? If memory serves very few even manage to make the GF again or even contend.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
When was the last time a team got pumped in a GF and came back the following year to win it all? If memory serves very few even manage to make the GF again or even contend.

North came back from a 35 point loss to win the following year 1998-1999. Not really a pumping given it was only 35 and it was 30 scoring shots a piece in 98.

Geelong lost by 80 in 1994 and came back to lose in 1995 by 61.

West Coast lost 1991 by 53 and won 1992.

1985 Hawthorn lost by 78 and won the following year.

So it can happen, but if we take 50+ to be a pumping, in the last 50 years the pumpee has made the following grand final six times (12%) and won four times (8%).

There has been 14 pumpers, with pumpers making nine following grand finals (64%) but only won three. So history says a pumper has been relatively unlikely to win the following grand final. In fact, a pumpee has won four, and a pumper three, so maybe the The Western are onto something.

Anyway, most of the big turnarounds have been from 20+ years ago, in recent times the pumper has been relatively successful and the pumpee not.

Back