Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
What do you do for triceps?

Directly, a lot of cable pulldowns, cable, extensions, skull crushers, dips, close grip pushups. In-directly, bench press

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
What do you do for triceps?

Directly, a lot of cable pulldowns, extensions, skull crushers, dips, close grip pushups. In-directly, bench press

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Directly, a lot of cable pulldowns, extensions, skull crushers, dips, close grip pushups. In-directly, bench press

By extensions - Do you mean the Cable rope overhead extension? Even if you are just doing direct work via that, skull crushers and tricep pushdowns on the cable, you really should be hitting them at all the different angles that you need to. Are you using the EZ bar for skull crushers? If so I would recommend changing it to the bar where your palms are facing each other (Swiss bar). Unfortunately, we can’t all be like Chris Tarrant have have huge triceps 😭

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
By extensions - Do you mean the Cable rope overhead extension? Even if you are just doing direct work via that, skull crushers and tricep pushdowns on the cable, you really should be hitting them at all the different angles that you need to. Are you using the EZ bar for skull crushers? If so I would recommend changing it to the bar where your palms are facing each other (Swiss bar). Unfortunately, we can’t all be like Chris Tarrant have have huge triceps 😭
Yes and yes. I did use the swiss bar once upon a time, but not recently.

Also, I can't seem to hit the long head on my left tricep like I can on my right arm. Very imbalanced

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
This was awesome for getting a proper long head contraction

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Does anyone watch or do any of Ryan Humiston's programs and exercise's ?
Just wondering if anyone has found them effective
I'd say he's good for the brahs

Offers variations of common exercises

I only watch his YouTube clips, never bought a program from him (or anyone else for that matter). I like his style though, direct and to the point, demonstrate the exercises, explain its benefits and he's done, no overanalytical rambling fluff like the Nippard types

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Lol yeah, Tarrant had extremely defined arms

Then I'd look at his height/weight, he'd never be over 100kg, always like low 90s (think he was 192 or 193cm) then other guys would be a similar height and weight to him and have stick arms still, he must've had really skinny legs or not much muscle on the back something

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Yes and yes. I did use the swiss bar once upon a time, but not recently.

Also, I can't seem to hit the long head on my left tricep like I can on my right arm. Very imbalanced
Buy some bands man, chuck them in ya gym bag and loop them around a rig or chin up bar or something at gym and see how they compare to the cable and free weight exercises you're doing for triceps

Bands are excellent for tricep pumps, they get harder the longer you stretch them out, so perfect for improving the concentric phase, skinnier bands you can clip a carabiner on them too and use a cable attachment instead of having your hands on rubber (better grip too)

Also do more unilateral stuff like kickbacks (dumbbells or cables), more reps on the left arm etc if you feel its hard to target

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Ok, tested the waters today

Was thinking of heavy doubles and triples around the 120-130 kg range, but felt good at 120 so thought bugger it, see where I was at seeing its been about 6-7 weeks since my 135kg 1RM and I've improved my rep ranges since then

Did a triple at 120, a single at 130 (felt I had a double in me there) then I equalled my 140kg pb for a single, probably was a much better lift than I did when I was 22 as I had help on liftoff then, whereas twas all myself here

Had a 10 minute rest, tried 145, felt good on liftoff and controlling it down, then I hit the sticking point on the way up and had to bail :(

I think seeing elements of the lift felt reasonably solid, perhaps if I went straight to 145 instead of 140 I may have got it in

3 more weeks to break through that 140 barrier though (150 would be nice, but probably beyond me at the moment)
Man I had huge upper back/scapula DOMS from this the last 2 days

Gotta be those deep stabilisers being utilised from liftoff/eccentric phase

I think I'll go easy with both chest and back next week, so many back DOMS (Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday), had to go easy on legs yesterday

Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd say he's good for the brahs

Offers variations of common exercises

I only watch his YouTube clips, never bought a program from him (or anyone else for that matter). I like his style though, direct and to the point, demonstrate the exercises, explain its benefits and he's done, no overanalytical rambling fluff like the Nippard types
Cheers , yeah I watch his youtube stuff .
I've been throwing a few of his variations in . They are tough work so think they are effective.

Just not sure if I should go full with his stuff or keep as I am with a slight change here and there 🤷‍♂️

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cheers , yeah I watch his youtube stuff .
I've been throwing a few of his variations in . They are tough work so think they are effective.

Just not sure if I should go full with his stuff or keep as I am with a slight change here and there 🤷‍♂️
Stick to the basics and what works for you, but for something new, yeah try out his exercises throw 1 or 2 in every now and then

What I've seen from him, the variations I would try from him first look to be back and shoulder exercises, that seems to be his best point of difference in terms of hypertrophy training. I've been doing a heap of prone row/prone fly type of exercises lately which he seems to put in every now and then with his exercise videos, as I train from home now, I find these types of exercises beneficial as they replace machines I would've used had I still had a gym membership

I know its not relevant to this thread, but I think those that hit the gym can appreciate the degree of difficulty here.

Forget balls of steel, you made balls of adamantium, Wolverine style.

Where a subtle mistake is sudden death, its a hard pass for me.

Not to mention covering that distance, I think I would be a couple of metres short. :drunk:

bennytheroach

Rookie
Oct 30, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
I know its not relevant to this thread, but I think those that hit the gym can appreciate the degree of difficulty here.
Forget balls of steel, you made balls of adamantium, Wolverine style.

Nah. If it was straight across to another roof at the same height, yes, degree of difficulty applies.

That was just bog standard parkour.

I know this from years of experience watching youtube.

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space
How’s the Birkenstock and socks combo

89b61f29fa416522c1e68e65d5884139.jpg

Channels

All Australian
Dec 2, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just posted this on another board- does anyone get or start to get cramps doing certain exercises?
Was doing bench press the other day with the PT. 2-3 reps into it could feel my back cramping.

Changed it to a 45 degree incline and was ok to do the full set/s. Anyone else get this??
Yes, I do a quad stretch called (yoga term) the Half Reclining Hero pose.
I always get a cramp in the arch of my left foot when doing the left side. Every time.

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I've finally reprogrammed myself to not default to chest and to focus on back and shoulders and that's going really well, especially back which is probably as wide as it's ever been.

But my triceps are ******* terrible. Pls halp. It's not like I don't focus a lot on them coz I love tricep training, but results are sub optimal
Speaking from my limited experience; start including an exercise (or exercises) that you haven't done before. I had only done dumbbell kickbacks for a while, didn't feel like it was doing that much, tried theraband kickbacks and holy s**t did it burn. Progressively increase your volume/weight/resistance on that and move onto something else after a while if you don't feel like it's doing much anymore or if you're bored of it. Also increase how often you train triceps, make it a priority, I wanted to see if I could sort of fast track my arms, I went from about 1-2 times a week to 2-3 times a week for at least 6 months and I reckon they developed more than all other muscle groups which were only getting trained 1-2 times a week. So if it's meant to be chest day and you've had 2 days rest since doing your triceps, push the chest back a day and do triceps instead. I think that worked for me so now I'm doing the same thing for chest.

Back