Test Paine Steps Down From Ashes .

Remove this Banner Ad

Carey, Inglis, Peirson? Who will keep in the Ashes. Perhaps a smokie in Philippe. He is the leading keeper this season. Spoilt his copybook last match tho.

Not surprising that he has stepped down and decided to take a break, the scrutiny he has been under lately has been pretty intense even just playing for the Tassie 2nd XI, it would have been even worse had he played in the Ashes series and it would have been a big distraction for the rest of the team.

That's probably his test career over, I can't see the Australian selectors going back to him at his age and with all this baggage attached to him.

Can understand why he'd do it but this whole thing has been handled so poorly. Really sad to see him end his career like this, his comeback from wunderkind to serial injuries, almost retiring then making a comeback to test cricket, then captaining his country through the lowest point in our Cricket history. Just depressing tbh. Deserved to go out with an ashes win on home soil.

Right call. No doubt he's paid a massive price but what Paine did is wrong on so many levels and I think he forfeits the right to captain or play for his country.
It was going to be a massive distraction for the team and for a new captain in Pat Cummins so him stepping away is for the best...why CA haven't had the balls to make a decision at any step along the way here is quite damning. Don't think we'll lose much from a playing perspective as I think Carey or Inglis are his equal as keeper-batsmen. Don't think Phillippe is ready for Test level and I wouldn't be going back to Wade who's keeping is not at the level. It's a pity there's no Chris Hartley type plying their trade who deserves a shot.

Would not at all surprise me if we see a push from the Melbourne sports media for Harper to be selected. Every year they have to have a Victorian to push behind for selection it’s so banal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goes to show the impact social media has in this age. Made into an issue that is way bigger than it actually is - a consensual sexual interaction by two adults - by the mainstream media that feeds on outrage culture. Really got to feel for the bloke, stepping away from the game is a reflection on the impact this experience has had on him.

Goes to show the impact social media has in this age. Made into an issue that is way bigger than it actually is - a consensual sexual interaction by two adults - by the mainstream media that feeds on outrage culture. Really got to feel for the bloke, stepping away from the game is a reflection on the impact this experience has had on him.

Imagine the stuff Bailey Smith gets sent, bloke better be careful.

Not surprising but really, the media hounding him and following him around every single day when he is just trying to focus on cricket. The media forced the issue but revealing it instead of years ago.

His test career is over but he has other things to focus on.

Would not at all surprise me if we see a push from the Melbourne sports media for Harper to be selected. Every year they have to have a Victorian to push behind for selection it’s so banal.

supposed to be pushing Handscomb even though he doesn't keep atm.

Considering it was consensual (and deemed consensual by the high ups that reviewed it) then it was wrong on one level, that was the cheating on his wife
Unless the other party asked for him to send a dick pic or consented when he asked then it wasn't consensual...absence of an immediate complaint shouldn't be mistaken for consent. Also I personally would put very little stock in what the relevant cricket authorities (Cricket Tasmania & Cricket Australia) have to say on the matter as they are hardly impartial observers...of course they're going to play down the situation as it happened (i) within their 'workplace' and (ii) to involve (one of) their biggest assets in Tim Paine. They were very much in the business of playing it down / sweeping it under the carpet so I stand by my view that it was wrong/stupid on many levels and that it was in the best interests of the team (and cricket more generally) for Paine to go.

Rotten way to go but self inflicted.

Got massive leg ups from the media in his stewardship. Will go down as the first Oz skipper to lose a home series against India. He repeated the dose last summer when he had a 'mare with gloves and captaincy.

I was stunned he did not retire then... almighty $s I guess.

Rotten way to go but self inflicted.

Got massive leg ups from the media in his stewardship. Will go down as the first Oz skipper to lose a home series against India. He repeated the dose last summer when he had a 'mare with gloves and captaincy.

I was stunned he did not retire then... almighty $s I guess.
Will also go down as the first Oz skipper in a bloody long time to win/retain an away Ashes series, but I guess we can all choose which way we want to frame things.

Will also go down as the first Oz skipper in a bloody long time to win/retain an away Ashes series, but I guess we can all choose which way we want to frame things.

The Poms are so bad they aspire to our current mediocrity.

Amazing how the image of a team can start changing when you get a top man behind the stumps. Take out a mouthy campaigner and replace him with a genuine good bloke and all that’s left is warner , labuschagne and smith.
amazing. ( can’t wait to get you to the gabba, pure gold and sums up the former captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back