Prediction 2022 Best 22 Teams and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we could argue the merits of Hamling in the best 22, but until Pearce shows me that he can match it body on body on the big forwards I would have Hamliing playing that role before Pearce. I'm not sure who would miss out, but Pearce's apparent lack of body strength, makes Hamling a must in my eyes.

I want that ability to wilfully ignore what’s in front of my face to confirm my own bias. Must be bliss.

Would be great wouldn’t it.

I’d be able to convince myself that Freo were the best team in the AFL and were going to win the next ten premierships. No one could convince me otherwise.

Unfortunately though, the reality is right in front of me. There’s some bias on this board I don’t agree with (the continual bashing of around 3-4 players on our list that imo don’t deserve it) but saying Brayshaw isn’t best 22 takes the cake and some more on top of that.

Freo
FB: Ryan Pearce Logue
HB: Young Cox Chapman
C: Clark Mundy Brayshaw
HF: Sturt Lobb Erasmus
FF: Walters Tabs Treacy

R: Darcy Fyfe Serong

I: Aish Tucker Walker Switkowski

Peel
FB: Crowden Hamling Wilson
HB: Hughes xxxx xxxx
C: Worner Johnson O'Driscoll
HF: Henry Benning Frederick
FF: Schultz Amiss Western

R: Meek Brodie Valente

I: Acres Blakely Colyer Banfield

Peel looks strong this year.

Last edited:

I think we could argue the merits of Hamling in the best 22, but until Pearce shows me that he can match it body on body on the big forwards I would have Hamliing playing that role before Pearce. I'm not sure who would miss out, but Pearce's apparent lack of body strength, makes Hamling a must in my eyes.

Pearce is taller and heavier than Hamling. Not definitive, but I don't think Hamling is any better body on body. Pearce didn't play very well at the back end of the season, but I would have thought he is clearly our best matchup for the 200cm forwards like the Kings, McKay, etc. Dixon would monster Hamling just as much as Pearce, but at least Pearce can reach the height of the ball where Dixon marks (unlike Cox or Hamling).

Regardless, I would be amazed if our 4 KPD's are all fit at the same time, so I suspect we will just be playing whoever is available.

Freo

Peel

Peel loooks strong this year.
We can only have a max of 11 Freo players in the peel team tho can’t we?

Pearce is taller and heavier than Hamling. Not definitive, but I don't think Hamling is any better body on body. Pearce didn't play very well at the back end of the season, but I would have thought he is clearly our best matchup for the 200cm forwards like the Kings, McKay, etc. Dixon would monster Hamling just as much as Pearce, but at least Pearce can reach the height of the ball where Dixon marks (unlike Cox or Hamling).

Regardless, I would be amazed if our 4 KPD's are all fit at the same time, so I suspect we will just be playing whoever is available.
Should be, but isn't. It's more weight than height that he struggles with. He never has been able to handle the big strong forwards. I assumed he would get stronger as he developed his body, but it doesn't seemed to have happened that way...yet. Maybe he has just missed a bit too much footy to be at his best. I would need to see Hamling playing again. I can't exactly recall how good he was on the bigger forwards. I seem to recall he was pretty good. but can't be certain.

Should be, but isn't. It's more weight than height that he struggles with. He never has been able to handle the big strong forwards. I assumed he would get stronger as he developed his body, but it doesn't seemed to have happened that way...yet. Maybe he has just missed a bit too much footy to be at his best. I would need to see Hamling playing again. I can't exactly recall how good he was on the bigger forwards. I seem to recall he was pretty good. but can't be certain.
Not sure how much footy you blokes watch but when fully fit Hamling would be first picked in backline and you would build the rest around him. Did a number on buddy in the bullies gf win. You have very short memories

Not sure how much footy you blokes watch but when fully fit Hamling would be first picked in backline and you would build the rest around him. Did a number on buddy in the bullies gf win. You have very short memories
I want him in the team. and quite a few of the people on here aren't blokes.

My version -
FB - Ryan Pearce Logue
HB - Chapman Cox Young
C - Clarke Brayshaw Henry
HF - Sturt Lobb Walters
FF - Schultz Tabs Treacy
R - Darcy Fyfe Serong
I - Tucker Freddy Walker Aish/Brodie
E - Hughes/NOD/Erasmus/Colyer etc...

Most notable changes - Brayshaw just acts like a proper old school centreman I think, so that's where I've put him, If you've left him out of your side you need your head read... No way Erasmus is coming in for a first game debut so he'll have to earn his spot I think. Young over Walker erry day on a back flank. And if Chappy is fit he get's the other one so it's up to Walker to displace him I think. Henry moves up to a wing after his 3rd pre-season. Clarke gets the other one, don't care if wants to play off a flank, he looks like an Isaac Sith clone the way he runs around and if could anything close to that good on a wing for us I'll be stoked. Pearce and Cox are set best 22 I think so Hamling will have to push one of them out. Walters isn't a forward pocket, so he moves up to a flank and gets to roam around a bit getting a few possies and deliver it into the forward line. Treacy is a bit like Brayshaw, if you've left him out you need your head read... Offers so much more than just a big body, chases and tackles hard and actually knows how to kick a goal unlike Crabenar/Lobb.
Logue to have a PROPER break out season too I think.
Anyway that's my 2cents.

I agree with a lot of that, although I'm not sure Cox is that entrenched in the 22 that his spot isn't at risk if everyone is fit (ha).

I also like Treacy and what he brings, but so far there's a lot of potential but I'd hardly say he knows how to kick a goal compared to Lobb/Taberner.

2021 season stats;
Josh Treacy 13.10 (15 games)
Rory Lobb 20.19 (13 games)
Matt Taberner 37.17 (16 games)

Enjoyed reading this, and just a couple of comments.

Wilson doesn't even rate a mention in your post which is interesting, especially with the two logical replacements (Walker and Clark) aren't in the backline either. We may have moved past him, and will be interesting to see how that plays out.

That is a massive backline, which may not always work.

I'm optimistic about Henry but Aish and Colyer are significantly ahead of him at this stage I reckon. I certainly don't feel confident enough to throw him a plum role ahead of those two as well as several other candidates.

Cheers, yeah at this stage I think old Willo might be starting at Peel… And yep pretty tall backline but I think Logue/Chapman have the pace/athletic ability to cover the really dangerous small forwards. And I Idid have Walker swapping off the bench…
Yeah I was a bit torn TBH with Henry/Walters/Colyer/Aish, I think Walters/Henry are very similar players, neither have blistering pace, Walters is probably just a natural footballer, knows where and how to find space and knows where the goals are, Henry I don’t think is a natural forward, and I sort of see him more as a Daniel Wells type? I’m probably being very optimistic that he’ll make that wing spot his own this year but that’s where I see him playing his best footy. Sonny would be an ideal forward flanker I think just due to his footy nous and ball use. It’s probably an ideal world scenario if Colyer/Aish/Walters/Henry are all at the peak of their powers I’d say the flank and wing spots wouldn’t be taken by Colyer/Aish.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree with a lot of that, although I'm not sure Cox is that entrenched in the 22 that his spot isn't at risk if everyone is fit (ha).

I also like Treacy and what he brings, but so far there's a lot of potential but I'd hardly say he knows how to kick a goal compared to Lobb/Taberner.

2021 season stats;
Josh Treacy 13.10 (15 games)
Rory Lobb 20.19 (13 games)
Matt Taberner 37.17 (16 games)

Yeah I realise he didn’t kick many in his first year BUT I think he is much more of a natural forward than Lobb and definitely Tabs. Reminds me a bit of Jack Darling but he’s the one scaring people not being scared of people. He’s a walk up start I think, shown as much if not more than most other first year KPF in recent memory I reckon. Not just in terms of marking/goals etc. Chases and tackles like a man possessed and is always getting around his team mates. Wasnt out of the ordinary to see him in the centre square giving the midfielders a pat on the back before running back to forward line before a bounce last year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo

Peel

Injury aside I think you’ll find Worner playing round 1

We need a Barlow type from the skies again to really lift the team.

I am liking how many of our defenders have decent intercepting abilities.

Hopefully Amiss and Erasmus turn our forward line into something like a forward line. Treacy with 15 games off the rookie list was an excellent debut season.

Freo

Peel

That’s pretty much my best 22 other than I’d have Frederick in for Erasmus based on what we’ve seen.

If Erasmus proves himself to be best 22 then I’d be dropping Tucker from the 22 to make way.

You can see JL likes to break at pace and a best 22 with Frederick, Clark, Switta, Walker, Sturt and Brayshaw (who many people forget made the grand final spring top five a couple of seasons ago) is a damn quick team.

I had a bit of a look over on the Adelaide board at a possible starting 22 for round 1

Jones Butts Doedee
HB Smith Murray McPherson
C Dawson Keays Seedsman
HF McHenry Fogarty McAdam
F Rachele Thilthorpe Murphy
R O'Brien Laird Schoenberg

I Berry Frampton Sholl Sloane

Will be disappointed if we cant handle that line-up

We are looking at going over for the match. Even tho he is nearly past it < I was relieved to see that Tex wont be playing.
Bad memories of the final we went over for when Tex absolutely smashed us . I think Silvagni was playing on him

Ryan Pearce Logue
Walker Cox Aish
Tucker Mundy Brayshaw
Henry Treacy switkowski
Walters Taberner Frederick
R: Darcy, Fyfe Serong
IC: Chapman, Young, Schultz, Lobb

something like this would be a good place to start for round one I reckon. It was line ball between two of hamling, Pearce and Cox but possession is 9/10th of the law here and Hamlings one game since 2019 means he needs to play his way back in.
The same applied to Sturt, we just haven’t seen enough of him but would expect him to get back into the side pretty quickly if he remains fit.
Right now I have Clark and Brodie outside the B22. They were not in the selection mix at the end of last season at either of their respective clubs so they will have to fight there way in here too IMO. Players like Hughes, Blakely Colyer will also be looking for spots alongside the two new traded-in guys.
don’t expect any of the 5 new draftees to play round 1 unless they are something special (let’s hope they are).
I have Treacy absolutely locked into the B22 for what’s it’s worth. I don’t believe this guy will ever play for Peel again unless he’s on the way back from injury or something. He’s miles too good for that level even as an 18 year old and clearly showed it a couple of times last year. Of my chosen 22, Tucker is probably the most vulnerable right now, Colyer was decent towards the end of last season and could push him hard.

I had a bit of a look over on the Adelaide board at a possible starting 22 for round 1

Jones Butts Doedee
HB Smith Murray McPherson
C Dawson Keays Seedsman
HF McHenry Fogarty McAdam
F Rachele Thilthorpe Murphy
R O'Brien Laird Schoenberg

I Berry Frampton Sholl Sloane

Will be disappointed if we cant handle that line-up

We are looking at going over for the match. Even tho he is nearly past it < I was relieved to see that Tex wont be playing.
Bad memories of the final we went over for when Tex absolutely smashed us . I think Silvagni was playing on him
Gee Adelaide would have to be in a bad spot if Frampton is playing, can't think of a worse tall player in the AFL at the moment

FB: Ryan, Pearce, Logue
HB: Young, Cox, Clarke
C: Fredrick, Brayshaw, Aish
HF: Sturt, Lobb, Walters
FF: Schultz, Taberner, Switta
R: Darcy, Fyfe, Serong
INT: Walker, Henry, Chapman, Mundy
E: Treacy, Erasmus, Wilson, Hamling, Tucker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back