FTA-TV Succession

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I like Shiv, she lives in a hard hard world. And does pretty good in the dark world of big business, If she goes to Kendall , which I doubt she will, she might save his terrible lacking in confidence arse, one minute he's king next minute he wants to go home!

His father is a powerful mongrel , and ( President) Connor is a dill. And because of that might make President!!

Roman is the one that can kill "he's got that in him, Daddy".
But he is in need of his fathers approval, disregarding his sexual flaws, behind doors with older Queen Business Woman.

Tom is in love but also in the main a ladder climber, but I think he and Shiv are closer than we think. Even though they appear to have an open marriage which he can't deal with, and she is not really bothered,her "who cares" bothers Tom but he sticks.
But was his ambition that huge? That he would go to Prison for Logan Roy , who said I won;t forget! Definitely.

Kendall is the one character so flawed yet good intentioned, even though his ego is in fantasy land, yet dead set certain as the other seasons have shown, he wants to be boss. And has screwed himself in the process,
Greg the long tall strange critter. We'll see? I think there is a lot more to him, and I think his easy going will eventually break and he will become like nothing any of them thought , he may bring them undone, and is getting more capable , and actually maybe a genuine person, in all that egotistical filth.

Or I am totally dillusional, but to me he's a WHY? typed character. Why is he even around. Related?? Bum Licker though.
Always around. Tom may get his come-uppence from Greg , not Shiv.
But she'll pick up the pieces.

I will probably have all my theories destroyed by finish time.

But even with all the scenes of large gatherings of power and celebrity and Kendalls almighty "LOOK AT ME'' birthday party do people really do that?

And also the wondering around looking for a converstion episode, networking and so on, last week, with all the influential politicians the discussion I sort of follow, of course the situations and dialogue sounds real, its good production.
( not that I'd know)
It looks so professionally produced, it is like watching a great example of how the upper echelons of life on earth who run the world ...... "run the world" Do they?
So this show is genius although you can see the drama being created and taking place and the twists and turns in tactics even though you don't really understand the game, bit like Aussie rules now days?

So you need to only know something is happening not sure what
But I can't stop watching this thing. And my ideas? Anything could happen!

Good show, Gee you got to read quickly closed captions to cover the dialogue quick and deadly, for an old buggar.
The kids of most rich people arent giant adult childs like we hope they are and are presented in the show. Its a fantasy. A false view to make us feel better about ourselves. They are extremely well educated and have opportunities to better themselves that we can only dream of and usually that makes them incredibly well rounded people. There are exceptions ofcourse. But its not the norm.

The kids of most rich people arent giant adult childs like we hope they are and are presented in the show. Its a fantasy. A false view to make us feel better about ourselves. They are extremely well educated and have opportunities to better themselves that we can only dream of and usually that makes them incredibly well rounded people. There are exceptions ofcourse. But its not the norm.
Like Donald Trump …you’ve got some weird takes. Agree to disagree

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon

That might be true for old money people but the Roys are new money and Succession does a good job of showing what they are like, and the behind scene bickering that goes on among family members when there is a business and money involved.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
That might be true for old money people but the Roys are new money and Succession does a good job of showing what they are like, and the behind scene bickering that goes on among family members when there is a business and money involved.
I would of thought my example applies to new money as their parents are genuinly intelligent and have good work ethic. Good genes too. Its the old money where the exceptions lie.

weird that you had the opposite interpretation. Thats very 18th century of you.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Watching the great at the moment and enjoying it far more. Its plot has actually developed (well somewhat). Peter, unlike roy, has lost power. The story has now moved on To catherine trying to change russia rather then just survive peter. I want to see how kendall tries to move the company from old tech to new tech. See how kendalls siblings deal with the realisation that he is the superior one.

And the humour of the great is far funnier even despite the fact it is also a bit childish.

Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
Watching the great at the moment and enjoying it far more. Its plot has actually developed (well somewhat). Peter, unlike roy, has lost power. The story has now moved on To catherine trying to change russia rather then just survive peter. I want to see how kendall tries to move the company from old tech to new tech. See how kendalls siblings deal with the realisation that he is the superior one.

And the humour of the great is far funnier even despite the fact it is also a bit childish.

If Kendall got reigns to the company it would be an absolute disaster

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
If Kendall got reigns to the company it would be an absolute disaster
Cos he wants to move the company into the future rather then die like a fossil stuck in the past? Or is it just because you dont like smart people and would prefer an idiot like shiv who has no business acumen or roman who is all about the vibe?

Poetic Justice

Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
Cos he wants to move the company into the future rather then die like a fossil stuck in the past? Or is it just because you dont like smart people and would prefer an idiot like shiv who has no business acumen or roman who is all about the vibe?

Kendall shows in the first episode that he doesn't have the strength and confidence to effectively be at the top level.

The whole way through, Kendall has shown that he is weak as piss and that is not a quality that is required to be at that level.

Nor have I said the others do either.

Frankly, none of the children have shown any ability to independently take the reigns of such a big empire - the only time I would think this would be possible would be if Logan had actually groomed one of his children properly to become his successor which would have been in place years and years before this tv show would have started (on that timeline) - the fact that it started the way it does highlights its fictional nature because it simply wouldn't have been like this were it a true story.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

Kendall shows in the first episode that he doesn't have the strength and confidence to effectively be at the top level.

The whole way through, Kendall has shown that he is weak as piss and that is not a quality that is required to be at that level.

Nor have I said the others do either.

Frankly, none of the children have shown any ability to independently take the reigns of such a big empire - the only time I would think this would be possible would be if Logan had actually groomed one of his children properly to become his successor which would have been in place years and years before this tv show would have started (on that timeline) - the fact that it started the way it does highlights its fictional nature because it simply wouldn't have been like this were it a true story.

Except ofcourse kendall has shown his strength and confidence through the rest of the series like when he tried to take over the company multiple times and go against his family. It takes serious f*** gorilla balls to attempt a take over against your own father let alone a nutter like roy. But he did it. He hasnt wimped out like roman and shiv. or when he ruthlessly sacked everyone from episode 1 in the next season. Or when he went live on tv to tell the world his father was a crook.

ps. The strength thing is overrated. You need to make good business decisions more then anything. Then there is no need for strength. Strength and over confidence is only useful when you are lacking in the decision department. Its like percentage. only useful when you are tied on wins with another team

Last edited:
Fair description. Bigger words. But still gutter humour.
Me and my mates still take the piss out of each other even in our middle age. It’s quite funny in parts …I don’t get your view on this. Don’t you and your mates /siblings do similar?

Poetic Justice

Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
Except ofcourse kendall has shown his strength and confidence through the rest of the series like when he tried to take over the company multiple times and go against his family. It takes serious f*** gorilla balls to attempt a take over against your own father let alone a nutter like roy. But he did it. He hasnt wimped out like roman and shiv. or when he ruthlessly sacked everyone from episode 1 in the next season. Or when he went live on tv to tell the world his father was a crook.

ps. The strength thing is overrated. You need to make good business decisions more then anything. Then there is no need for strength. Strength and over confidence is only useful when you are lacking in the decision department. Its like percentage. only useful when you are tied on wins with another team

He's equally shown his flaws and weaknesses throughout the course of the series too and I reckon these have more of a hampering effect on his standing than some of the obvious flaws the siblings have. I feel the big moves Ken makes like sacking people, take overs are more a cry for attention than him stamping his actual intentions.

But one thing is for clear, we view the unfolding of the story differently. And that's ok..

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I've been a week behind on episodes, but finally caught up last night so was able to read back through this thread. It's my favourite show on TV at the moment and always interesting to see the wildly different opinions people have on the relative strengths/weaknesses of the characters.

For me, Kendall is still the one I hate the most, but he's also the one I feel the most pity for at times. Him firing his lawyer in last week's episode because she was "toxic" was peak projection and the way he surrounds himself with sycophants is a pathetically transparent cover for him not having true friends, highlighted in the party episode by the brutally casual way his siblings toss out "Your mum, your dad, your wife, your children, your friends" when he insinuates it's easier to say who isn't there than who is. Ooof!!!

And I'm totally OK with how the plot is developing (or how it's not, according to some!) because I find all the characters and the different interactions they have with each other so compelling. And we've seen the rise of each Roy sibling so far (Ken in Season 1, Shiv in Season 2, Roman in this season, maybe Connor in Season 4?), so it hasn't felt like a rehash to me at all. Plus, the real-life analogue of the Murdoch family have probably felt similar recurring frustrations of the patriarch not giving up the power.

Also, if you're still watching in Season 3 and complaining about the juvenile humour, how did you get through the first episode with Roman jacking off onto the window overlooking Manhattan?

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
Oh its fantasy alright but bloody clever fantasy. And well acted, but you couldn't catagorise it as, as realistic as the Soprano's , which was a deep inner look at that life, and the way they portrayed it as a normal way to live.
But they got a lot of their ideas from a mob family named De-Cavalcanti New Jersey crime family I think , and that rang true.

But this show is just a thing waiting to happen, when?
I am waiting for something to happen and its moving very slowly but captivating. Though something needs to develop soon.
Or it becomes nothingness. So I am waiting for the explosion , better get one .

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Even dany eventually made it to westeros guys.

at some point you do have to progress the plot. Actually at the moment it seems like its going backwards.

who was the most terrible person that episode?

1. shiv - telling tom she doesnt love him was just cold
2. shivs mom - telling shiv she shouldnt have children.
3. greg- for thinking he has more depth. The guy who has zero depth wants to play the dating field cos he thinks he has too much depth. F*** me.
4. dick pic guy. Oh the ridiculousness that the dic pick guy isnt even in the worst 3.

feels for kendall. He deserves better.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Next week is season finale? I love this show but progressively it's felt like watching The Walking Dead this season. Too much teasing and going in circles for 8 episodes.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh its fantasy alright but bloody clever fantasy. And well acted, but you couldn't catagorise it as, as realistic as the Soprano's , which was a deep inner look at that life, and the way they portrayed it as a normal way to live.
But they got a lot of their ideas from a mob family named De-Cavalcanti New Jersey crime family I think , and that rang true.

But this show is just a thing waiting to happen, when?
I am waiting for something to happen and its moving very slowly but captivating. Though something needs to develop soon.
Or it becomes nothingness. So I am waiting for the explosion , better get one .
Agree. It has capitivating scenes every episode. But part of what makes those scenes capitivating is the belief that it is all leading somewhere. And its starting to look like its not.

i would be ok with them maintaining the status quo if Roy was finding interesting ways to keep getting himself out of the fires he finds himself in but he isnt. lucky black swans keep falling out of the sky to kill off plot threads and save him. Or issues the writers wanted us to believe were a big deal for 2 and half seasons never were cos of logans connections in government. Its poor writing.

Even dany eventually made it to westeros guys.

at some point you do have to progress the plot. Actually at the moment it seems like its going backwards.

who was the most terrible person that episode?

1. shiv - telling tom she doesnt love him was just cold
2. shivs mom - telling shiv she shouldnt have children.
3. greg- for thinking he has more depth. The guy who has zero depth wants to play the dating field cos he thinks he has too much depth. F*** me.
4. dick pic guy. Oh the ridiculousness that the dic pick guy isnt even in the worst 3.

feels for kendall. He deserves better.
Got to be Logan for the most terrible.

1 - keeps his eldest son trapped in the family, continuing to hold the death over his head as visible leverage.
2 - openly tells Kendell that his offer was a joke for his birthday and has not intent of buying him out.
3 - tries to mount on the shame on Ken, saying maybe he was trying to shag the kid.
4 - sex shames his youngest son
5 - finding out he leveraged his kids in his first divorce to keep them with him (saying he will cut any kids that go to their mother out of the money).

Im sure there will be a big twist in the last episode to make roy look in serious trouble again.

but should we be invested in this plot given they have played this tune 5 times now and it flitters out in unsatisfactory ways every time? How many times do these writers think they can trick us?
This show has one season left to run - there are too many instances of one of the kids ascending and falling down the ranks after their own Icarus moment.

Has to finish with Logan dying and cutting the kids out of succession. None of them deserve anything.

Back