FB: Ryan Hamling Chapman
HB: Young Cox Clark
C : Aish Fyfe Tucker
HF: Sturt Treacy Lobb
FF: Schultz Taberner Switta
R : Darcy Brayshaw Mundy

Int: Mundy Walker Erasmus Walters
E: Amiss, Johnson, Hughes

tough picking that backline, would be easier if clark moves to the wing and could slot in logue/hughes. gone cox bc of his synergy with ryan and hammer over pearce though not sure how realistic that is

tucker given a few weeks to see if he can stop being so sh*t, hes got lots of the qualities to succeed, lots of talk from the club about freddy so could see him in for erasmus/tucker/aish depending on where he plays

missing henry as couldnt fit him in, cant drop schultz as hes our most consistent small and switta adds the pressure but would like to see him play

wing is definitely the most open position for change and could be the spot were players on the fringe can get a crack in

geez bit of a headache for selectors i reckon

Missed Serong. If we stay light on injuries picking a team is bloody difficult.

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I realise bench and starting 18 aren't overly meaningful, but surely Schultz is our best small forward?
In my hypothetical B22, Walters has a ripping pre season and plays close to a career best year as a small forward. In that scenario he’s well ahead of the honest but limited Schultz.
Ive said it plenty times here before but a goal kicking small forwards with X-factor is a hole on our list. What I did like about Lachie is that he improved about 20% last season (he was delisted & re rookied last year remember), and another similar improvement this year would be amazing.

ubiquitous226

All Australian
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
In my hypothetical B22, Walters has a ripping pre season and plays close to a career best year as a small forward. In that scenario he’s well ahead of the honest but limited Schultz.
Ive said it plenty times here before but a goal kicking small forwards with X-factor is a hole on our list. What I did like about Lachie is that he improved about 20% last season (he was delisted & re rookied last year remember), and another similar improvement this year would be amazing.

Schultz did improve a lot last year, although I was actually a little surprised at the time he was the one rookied at the end of 2020.

He was pretty consistent at doing the things he needed to.
He also had some elements to his game which were more like a lead up forward which were extra valuable to us because Sturt was injured and Banfield was nowhere near it for most of the season.

Finally, he's had a couple of clutch goals over the last two seasons which are a good sign of performance under pressure (and fatigue).

Yeah I like what he brings, an honest sort of player that might be in trouble if we manage to bring in a lot of quality in the forward half.
Having said that, I think he currently brings elements that not many others do on our list, even if he isn't as talented overall, which should help him stake his claim.

Mags98

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
do we expect or want walters/switta to be rotating through the midfield next year?
imo walters was at his best in the guts and obviously last year he was very flat playing majority forward.
swittas short stints through the middle at the end of the season showed promise

Jezzitizle

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
do we expect or want walters/switta to be rotating through the midfield next year?
imo walters was at his best in the guts and obviously last year he was very flat playing majority forward.
swittas short stints through the middle at the end of the season showed promise

Both best in that impact role imo, not as a dedicated midfielder.

Which is perfect because you need those sorts of players.

Joose

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Round 1 team will not include wholesale debuts. JLo will want to keep team continuity.

Assuming the magical no injuries qualification except for Fyfe who may not be match fit:

Ryan-Hamling-Logue
Chapman-Pearce-Clark
Colyer-Tucker-Aish
Erasmus-Taberner-Walters
Schultz-Lobb-Switkowski

Darcy-Brayshaw-Serong
Walker-Mundy-Cox-Fredericks

A good run with injury and form next season and selection meetings will be very tough.

Round 1 team will not include wholesale debuts. JLo will want to keep team continuity.

Assuming the magical no injuries qualification except for Fyfe who may not be match fit:

Ryan-Hamling-Logue
Chapman-Pearce-Clark
Colyer-Tucker-Aish
Erasmus-Taberner-Walters
Schultz-Lobb-Switkowski

Darcy-Brayshaw-Serong

A good run with injury and form next season and selection meetings will be very tough.
Was Young forgotten or left out? Dude is a lock IMO

ubiquitous226

All Australian
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
My crack at what we might look like in Round 1.

B: Logue Pearce Ryan
HB: Clark Cox Young
C: Aish Fyfe Tucker
HF: Sturt Treacy Lobb
FF: Schultz Taberner Switkowski
R/Fol: Darcy Brayshaw Serong

I: Mundy, Chapman, Frederick, Walters

Key players not included who might stake a claim;
Hamling - if fit could replace Pearce/Cox/Logue if they have any issues or he gets back to his best
Hughes - hard to find a spot for him despite him being a bit of a constant the past few years, his durability may see him in there yet but I have Chapman taking the 7th defender spot
Henry - could take a wing spot if his fitness is up, or one of the small forward/HF roles
Colyer - the need for speed could see Colyer in this team, particularly if Switta isn't there
Erasmus/Johnson - if Sturt doesn't get there they could stake a claim as a medium forward
Amiss - would probably tip the team balance too far, unless one of Tabs/Lobb doesn't make it to R1 or he goes past Treacy

Thinking further, for mine, I’d really hope one of the younger guys has a good enough pre-season to push Colyer out. He’s the exact type of player a draftee of the last two years should be replacing (cough O’Driscoll/Henry cough).

Colyer had a terrific year last year bit he should be depth at his age and output. There’s enough speed in the team to replace him with some slightly slower who should have a higher output.

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
yyou is still a bit confused on which Brayshaw we picked up, its the one of the right mate!!

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 12.56.28 pm.png

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Ryan-Hamling-Logue
Chapman-Pearce-Clark
Colyer-Tucker-Aish
Erasmus-Taberner-Walters
Schultz-Lobb-Switkowski

Darcy-Brayshaw-Serong

With your no injuries qualification, surely Sturt before Erasmus for medium forward?

Wray27

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t think any of our draftees play round 1 in Adelaide, maybe back home following week, assumming Covid doesn’t impact fixtures.

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
Beliefs I would class in the same intellectual stratosphere as Andrew Brayshaw not being in our starting 22
- The Earth is flat
- Scientology
- Anti-vax
- Pizzagate
- Sandyhook shooting being a false flag
- Steph Curry is not the greatest shooter in basketball history
- Tim English could still be better than Sean Darcy

Happy to be a sheep

You forgot FakeTradies

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Beliefs I would class in the same intellectual stratosphere as Andrew Brayshaw not being in our starting 22
- The Earth is flat
- Scientology
- Anti-vax
- Pizzagate
- Sandyhook shooting being a false flag
- Steph Curry is not the greatest shooter in basketball history
- Tim English could still be better than Sean Darcy

Happy to be a sheep
The earth is flat?

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Everybody is a wrong about our best 22 including me.

We have got to the point where players need to play amazing to stay in the team.

Hamling, Pearce, Cox. Logue and Chapman can't all play in the same team.

Ryan, Clarke and Young are best 22. Hughes, Walker and Wilson all deserve a spot but one or two or three will miss out.

11 doesn't fit into 7 defender spots. 4 very solid players will miss out.

Talls are pretty settled with Darcy, Taberner and Lobb. Amiss and Treacy fight out for one spot.

Fyfe, Mundy, Brayshaw and Serong are shoe ins for the middle. Aish, Brodie, Valente, Tucker, O'Discoll, and Johnson all fighting for the wings and secondary midfield. Walters, Henry, Switta, Frederick and Erasmus can fight for midfield minutes.

Small and general forwards nobody is a no brain pick except Walters. Shultz, Colyer, Henry, Switta, Western, Frederick, Erasmus, and Sturt are contenting for 3 or 4 possible spots.

My Best 22 that I would pick and happy to change with preseason form.

Defenders 7 sots
Hamling, Pearce, Cox, Logue, Ryan, Clarke and Young.

Yes we top heavy but Logue, Pearce and Hamling can play on smalls.

Possible not enough run and carry for the back half.

Walker and Chapman can play at Peel and develop. Wilson is extremely lucky and I am a fan of his offensive output from the back half.

Wouldn't mind a rotation and play horses for courses.

Ruck, and Key Forwards 4 spots

Pick Darcy, Taberner and Lobb IF FIT. Maybe Treacy over Amiss because of experience.

Midfielders and Forwards 11 spots

Fyfe, Mundy, Serong, Brayshaw and Walters are no brainers for me.

That's leaves 6 spots. Flexible is the key. That's where get our bottom 7 players. 3 or 4 players need to play wing.

Swiita clearly is rated by the club according to B & F. He gets a spot. Plays midfields at times.
Shultz kick 10% of Fremantle goals. He gets a spot.
Aish can play back or on a wing. He gets a spot.
Henry can play wing and forward. Just gets a spot.
Tucker injured last year and his 2020 season was pretty good. Time to step up.
Erasmus can play the medium forward role.

Massively lucky
Johnson greats skills and fill the Cerra role. Could play a wing
Colver great last year and only age was a factor
Frederick I'm a fan and his closing space is outstanding.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Everybody is a wrong about our best 22 including me.

We have got to the point where players need to play amazing to stay in the team.

Hamling, Pearce, Cox. Logue and Chapman can't all play in the same team.

Ryan, Clarke and Young are best 22. Hughes, Walker and Wilson all deserve a spot but one or two or three will miss out.

11 doesn't fit into 7 defender spots. 4 very solid players will miss out.

Talls are pretty settled with Darcy, Taberner and Lobb. Amiss and Treacy fight out for one spot.

Fyfe, Mundy, Brayshaw and Serong are shoe ins for the middle. Aish, Brodie, Valente, Tucker, O'Discoll, and Johnson all fighting for the wings and secondary midfield. Walters, Henry, Switta, Frederick and Erasmus can fight for midfield minutes.

Small and general forwards nobody is a no brain pick except Walters. Shultz, Colyer, Henry, Switta, Western, Frederick, Erasmus, and Sturt are contenting for 3 or 4 possible spots.

My Best 22 that I would pick and happy to change with preseason form.

Defenders 7 sots
Hamling, Pearce, Cox, Logue, Ryan, Clarke and Young.

Yes we top heavy but Logue, Pearce and Hamling can play on smalls.

Possible not enough run and carry for the back half.

Walker and Chapman can play at Peel and develop. Wilson is extremely lucky and I am a fan of his offensive output from the back half.

Wouldn't mind a rotation and play horses for courses.

Ruck, and Key Forwards 4 spots

Pick Darcy, Taberner and Lobb IF FIT. Maybe Treacy over Amiss because of experience.

Midfielders and Forwards 11 spots

Fyfe, Mundy, Serong, Brayshaw and Walters are no brainers for me.

That's leaves 6 spots. Flexible is the key. That's where get our bottom 7 players. 3 or 4 players need to play wing.

Swiita clearly is rated by the club according to B & F. He gets a spot. Plays midfields at times.
Shultz kick 10% of Fremantle goals. He gets a spot.
Aish can play back or on a wing. He gets a spot.
Henry can play wing and forward. Just gets a spot.
Tucker injured last year and his 2020 season was pretty good. Time to step up.
Erasmus can play the medium forward role.

Massively lucky
Johnson greats skills and fill the Cerra role. Could play a wing
Colver great last year and only age was a factor
Frederick I'm a fan and his closing space is outstanding.

I know it's sacrilege to ask, but why is Mundy a shoe in? We may not see his mix of strength and skill again at this club for some time, but those legs are tiring and he applies less defensive pressure than an Argentinian soldier stationed on the Falklands.
I hope this year is the year he is pushed out by guys that may never be close to as good as Mundy but who are part of a future premiership team that he unfortunately won't be.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I know it's sacrilege to ask, but why is Mundy a shoe in? We may not see his mix of strength and skill again at this club for some time, but those legs are tiring and he applies less defensive pressure than an Argentinian soldier stationed on the Falklands.
I hope this year is the year he is pushed out by guys that may never be close to as good as Mundy but who are part of a future premiership team that he unfortunately won't be.
There will be questioned asked about both Mundy and Walters during the year I reckon, but there's no doubt that they deserve spots.

Back