Analysis Make Dusty captain.

Your pick for Captain.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
seen Jack Grimes and Dusty do it in the past. The players will obviously vote first so it will be interesting to see what the internal thoughts are. Dusty is likely to tell the boys to vote elsewhere as would Jack and shedda (due to age)
Jack Graham is held in very high regard internally. If not him it is likely to be lynch or grimes (if Dusty doesn’t want it)
If the decision came down to the players.Then Shedda would get it.IMO

Sep 2, 2017
Oakleigh
AFL Club
Richmond
DB90EB08-3636-4D17-9A14-9090EDAA7AD1.jpeg

Slow news day. Vlas “could be in the running”

dustinlmartin4

Debutant
Apr 28, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I feel Dusty should be the next captain even if we have to talk him in to being captain.
He leads by example and makes other players better .
Let the vice captain do some more talking to the media if that gets Dusty across the line.

If he was such a great leader and leads by example why wasn’t he given a vice captain position when Alex Rance left? That was only a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’d highly doubt he’d want a role now coming off a serious injury
Seems like the type who already knows he’s a leader and isn’t fussed on the title and would be happy to let someone else take that figurehead role and all the extra work that comes with it

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
happy to let someone else take that figurehead role and all the extra work that comes with it
I think this could be the main factor. Does he want to do the extra meetings etc? Too much focus here has been on the media stuff. For him, he seems to be one of those players who just want to train and play and let others do admin work.

Willo_23

Senior List
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I know it's voted on by players but if you asked him if he was interested and he said yes, you'd have to give it to him.

Like others have said though, I reckon he leads best by example and he's never really been one for the media. All those extra commitments that take place wouldn't be of much interest to him so I'd suspect he'd knock it back if he was approached.

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
seen Jack Grimes and Dusty do it in the past. The players will obviously vote first so it will be interesting to see what the internal thoughts are. Dusty is likely to tell the boys to vote elsewhere as would Jack and shedda (due to age)
Jack Graham is held in very high regard internally. If not him it is likely to be lynch or grimes (if Dusty doesn’t want it)

Not Lynch. I hate the idea of a player traded in at 26yo being given the captaincy. Give it to someone who has lived and breathed the Tigers from a young age. Give it to Martin….then Graham or Vlastuin in 2-3 seasons.

Is someone like Stack or Balta going to take shortcuts in their preparation if they know they’ll be answerable to Martin… not on your life.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
The more I think about it, there is no way Jack Graham can be captain with all due repect.
It would just not look right to have Graham running out first, then Dustin, Grimes, Riewoldt and Edwards following.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
The more I think about it, there is no way Jack Graham can be captain with all due repect.
It would just not look right to have Graham running out first, then Dustin, Grimes, Riewoldt and Edwards following.
Doubt anyone at Richmond would have an issue.
19 pf comes to mind.

dustysnecktattoo

Club Legend
May 15, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Jack graham as a VC for a year, with Jack R captain for a year could work then give to JG.

unless dusty demands to be captain he shouldn’t. Someone said before if not broken don’t fix

Co captains an option? Jack and jack

The options are plentiful though

Jack R
Jack G
Grimes
Vlastuin
Edward
Lynch
Prestia

If the situation for a new captain was a bit earlier Houli would of been a great option

Not Lynch. I hate the idea of a player traded in at 26yo being given the captaincy. Give it to someone who has lived and breathed the Tigers from a young age. Give it to Martin….then Graham or Vlastuin in 2-3 seasons.

Is someone like Stack or Balta going to take shortcuts in their preparation if they know they’ll be answerable to Martin… not on your life.

Don’t think it should make a difference personally

If the playing group back him and he’s the right man for the job I don’t think the fact that he had the unfortunate luck of being drafted elsewhere should come into calculations

He’s a Richmond man now and that is all that matters

Should we not consider Dusty because he was close to signing with both GWS and North at one point?
Because you could argue seriously considering a trade out of the club would indicate someone who has lived and breathed the tigers from a young age

Why?
Trent was younger than Graham is now and had just as many more sr players that would of been able to do it

boxxie2022

Cancelled
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Trent is a better player than Graham and our senior players now are more accomplished than back then.

which would mean we aren't throwing him to the wolves'. opportunity to take a long term view, knowing he has great support around him. I would doubt any of the players mentioned would have an issue. I'm not a fan of short term captains. took Trent a good 3-4 years to become the best captain he could be (once he realised he didn't have to be the best or perfect)
Some threads have people retiring Jack and shedda after this year then this thread has them mentioned as potential captains.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Jack graham as a VC for a year, with Jack R captain for a year could work then give to JG.

unless dusty demands to be captain he shouldn’t. Someone said before if not broken don’t fix

Co captains an option? Jack and jack

The options are plentiful though

Jack R
Jack G
Grimes
Vlastuin
Edward
Lynch
Prestia

If the situation for a new captain was a bit earlier Houli would of been a great option
I seem to remember hearing the club is not interested in the cocaptain model.
And there is no scenario where Martin would be 'demanding' the captaincy. He has his hand up with other players, or he doesn't. We know who the potential players are. The players will vote. There will be discussions with coaches and a decision will be made.
I guess you mean that Martin is 100% invested in taking it on. But my feeling is he wouldn't even be putting his name in if he wasn't.

Sep 19, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
It really should be a player like Grimes, or a Jack R etc. But is that what we really want to do? give the captaincy to someone who has maybe a year or 2/3 max left? And then we have to pick again?

Let Graham grow in the captaincy roll being mentored by the veterans. Will boost his confidence and be that next big bodied leader for us!

dustinlmartin4

Debutant
Apr 28, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
It really should be a player like Grimes, or a Jack R etc. But is that what we really want to do? give the captaincy to someone who has maybe a year or 2/3 max left? And then we have to pick again?

Let Graham grow in the captaincy roll being mentored by the veterans. Will boost his confidence and be that next big bodied leader for us!

People react as if Graham is a young 21 year old with nil experience.

He is 24 in February that’s hardly young for AFL captaincy

He isn’t a young minded 23 year old, in fact he’s more mature than some of our senior players.

He lead his under 18 team to a grand final

He has been one of our dominate players since joining, look what he did to get us to the finals in 2019

He already is stepping up doing things with the boys, club, media etc just as a captain should do

He leads when we win and loss. It’s not a one way street.

Back