What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Hands down one of the best rock n roll bands this country(or anywhere) has ever produced. Get it in ya.

P.S have prob posted at least a half a dozen times. Zero fu**s given :thumbsu:

First ‘real’ band I ever saw live. Convinced my parents to let me go. Iwas about 16. About 1986.
Got pissed, loved the gig, me and two mates got left in the middle of Perth by the guy who took us and had to hitch home 50 Kms. Got home around 2am.
To say the oldies weren’t happy is an understatement!😂

Roll on a few years and I was at ‘Bindoon Rock’ A biker festival run by the Coffin Cheaters. It was Friday night and the real gig started Saturday.
The MC came on and said The Angels were here early and wanted to play!
Doc was blind drunk and they went off! I remember him climbing the lighting scaffold and hanging upside down 20 foot up. Classic!

John Mayer was the guitarist
Ah, nice one. Hell of a player. I think he did a stint with Rose Tattoo as well a few years before.

I did see Chain when Phil Manning rejoined then come to think of it. Either mid or late '90's if I recall correctly.

Ah, nice one. Hell of a player. I think he did a stint with Rose Tattoo as well a few years before.

I did see Chain when Phil Manning rejoined then come to think of it. Either mid or late '90's if I recall correctly.

Yep he did a stint with the Tatts.
Heres a fine example of some slow, 3 o’clock in the morning type blues from Matt and John Mayer. Great guitar!

Yep he did a stint with the Tatts.
Heres a fine example of some slow, 3 o’clock in the morning type blues from Matt and John Mayer. Great guitar!

I've got that album...or at least I used to.

That song was the highlight of their show for me.

I've got that album...or at least I used to.

That song was the highlight of their show for me.
Yep, me too, I’ve always been a sucker for slow blues, Texas Flood etc
There was a lot of highlights at a Chain gig in those days.
Snatch it Back.
Spring Hill
When Hooker does the Boogie
etc, etc.

Yep, me too, I’ve always been a sucker for slow blues, Texas Flood etc
Yeah, along with the Allman's version of "Stormy Monday", the Stones "Love In Vain", Jimi's "Red House" and this one (just ignore the first 33 seconds or so):

Been listening to a lot of Tom brier recently, been a big inspiration
He was a wonder wasn't he, a genius of the piano. I loved watching him on Youtube, been a big fan of Ragtime since I was little and used to play my mum's Fats Waller records all the time. His car accident and his injuries were about the saddest thing you could imagine.

He was a wonder wasn't he, a genius of the piano. I loved watching him on Youtube, been a big fan of Ragtime since I was little and used to play my mum's Fats Waller records all the time. His car accident and his injuries were about the saddest thing you could imagine.
It was pretty incredible yeah.
Do you play?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been learning for years not but have just started taking it seriously, I'm really hoping I can get to a level even half of that in the future, I'm young so hopefully I can get a headstart
The piano is something that I would have loved to have learnt, but my parents didn't get a piano until after I had grown up and moved out. My mum played and taught my youngest sister to play, she now has the piano. If I could play, ragtime would be the sort of thing I would love to play. Everyone who plays it seems to be having such a good time. I think the younger you start at anything, the better you eventually become, keep at it.

The piano is something that I would have loved to have learnt, but my parents didn't get a piano until after I had grown up and moved out. My mum played and taught my youngest sister to play, she now has the piano. If I could play, ragtime would be the sort of thing I would love to play. Everyone who plays it seems to be having such a good time. I think the younger you start at anything, the better you eventually become, keep at it.

I always dreamed of belting out some Boogie Woogie on the ivories, my nana actually left me her pianola in her Will, as I used to sit there and peddle the rolls of tunes all the day as a boy.
But alas, I haven’t got a musical bone in my body.
Which I’ve always though is a travesty, considering how I’ve absolutely loved listening to music since I was too young to remember anything else. There is no God! Haha! Either that, or I’m just lazy. Definitely no natural born talent there though…

The legendary Dr John.

The Professor. 😍

Hotdamn - After listening to these, I've decided I'm goin' back to New Orleans! -
This clip also features the Neville Brothers along with other New Orleans greats Al Hirt, Pete Fountain and Danny Barker -

Dr John started his professional career at age 13 performing with Fess -

Spinning three worthy new additions to the vinyl collection.
Just picked up a second hand pair of Tannoy Mercury M3 speakers to compliment the tunes for $150. Bargain!
Sounds great!

View attachment 1288730
I picked up Adele's new album for my wife on CD.
At the same time I could have purchased a version on vinyl for $73 or a clear vinyl version for $79. As soon as you play them they start wearing out. When you can buy 3 to 4 CD's for around the same price, to me vinyl just doesn't make sense anymore. I have about 2,000 records but won't be adding any more to my collection. The only advantage they have is their covers, which I really miss.

Last edited:
At the same time I could have purchased a version on vinyl record $73 or a clear vinyl version for $79. As soon as you play them they start wearing out. When you can buy 3 to 4 CD's for around the same price, to me vinyl just doesn't make sense anymore. I have about 2,000 records but won't be adding any more to my collection. The only advantage they have is their covers, which I really miss.
I still prefer the sound of a record. To me they just sound a little bit fuller. They do start wearing out but if you look after them they will last as long as you do.

In saying that, paying 70 odd dollars on a single LP is a massive rip off. I look for bargains or I don't buy them.

At the same time I could have purchased a version on vinyl for $73 or a clear vinyl version for $79. As soon as you play them they start wearing out. When you can buy 3 to 4 CD's for around the same price, to me vinyl just doesn't make sense anymore. I have about 2,000 records but won't be adding any more to my collection. The only advantage they have is their covers, which I really miss.
I still prefer the sound of a record. To me they just sound a little bit fuller. They do start wearing out but if you look after them they will last as long as you do.

In saying that, paying 70 odd dollars on a single LP is a massive rip off. I look for bargains or I don't buy them.

Yep, now that records are the latest trend again, prices have skyrocketed. I think there is a covid induced delay in pressings as well. More than likely bumping up the price even more.

And for sure, I wouldn’t pay $73 for the latest Adele record. s**t, I wouldn’t even pay $7.30!

Yep, now that records are the latest trend again, prices have skyrocketed. I think there is a covid induced delay in pressings as well. More than likely bumping up the price even more.

And for sure, I wouldn’t pay $73 for the latest Adele record. sh*t, I wouldn’t even pay $7.30!
I’ll happily spend money to support artists I enjoy but I wouldn’t pay $73 for any album unless it had some really special significance attached to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back