Training 2022 Training Reports and General Club Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy and Cameron did some work work with Frasier. I noticed Grundy has adopted a new form of tap work. He seemed to be tapping the ball above and over rather than to the ground. Not sure if this has been always his technique but it did spring out at me.

Good to hear we actually have someone to Coach our Rucks.

Good to hear Grundy Practising a Different Kid of Tap

From another site.

Date Posted: 13:17 06/12/21 Mon
Author: Annabelle
Subject: Notes from our first pre-Christmas training session involving all players.

Was the first at training apart from a few trainers who were arranging cones in preparation for the players. Sky was powder-blue with a dusting of white clouds and a healthy breeze kept the heat at bay. The first group dribbled out around 9.15, closely followed by the rest of those who trained in some shape or form today. I wonder if this is due to the new fitness regime. Previously the players did their stretching routines and laps of the oval shortly after the whole team was on deck. Quite often many players who were out quite early playing kick to kick before the formal session commenced. It seems from chatting to a training regular, that they may now warm up inside and Jarryd Waite has changed how they warm up on the arena.
It appears to be more kinetic with the players forming three groups. One exercised along the fence with high lifts and holds. Waite barked at them to lift and hold and was placing an emphasis on the glutes and calves. They rotated to an activity involving carrying weights while in formation maintaining the lift and hold movements as they progressed across the ground, this time of course with no fence to hang onto. The third station was paired exercise which was resistance training with each straining against the other via the stretchy rope.

What stood out after seeing many years of Kevin White transition to Waite, was that there was more energy in all of the drills. During the kicking and marking ones, players were instructed to mark turn and layoff. It appeared that looking backwards and sideways was off-limits and may be being trained out of them to dull the instincts which appeared to be so much part of our DNA in recent times. It’s the antithesis of Mayne who practised his backwards inclination during training prior to showcasing it during matches.

There were a few missing from the session today – Henry, Ash Johnson, Ginnivan and McCreery. They could have been working indoors. Faye also did not make an appearance. Of course JDG who’s not allowed to attend the club in any manner was absent.

Meanwhile Reef alternated between the stationary bike and roping. Pendles (will miss the rest of the sessions prior to Christmas with hairline fracture of his leg), was also sighted pedalling the said bike. McMahon spent some time in this area partaking of light duties as he was sporting a moon boot, courtesy of a training incident last Friday.,

Prior to the sequence of drills there was a beep test. Non-participants were Josh Daicos, Adams, Crisp, Ruscoe, Chugg and Checkers. Of these players, Checkers, Crisp and Ruscoe joined in general drills while the others did not. Daics and Chugg did work quite intensively though running tireless throughout most of the long session.

Waite did not let the beep test go to its denouement, but it was pleasing to see most were still there as the running speed hit twenty. The taller players, including Kreuger, were first to drop out, along with Draper but when the proceedings were called to a halt, Lipinski, IQ, Tyler Brown, Bianco, Sidey, Kelly, Dean and Nick Daicos were still going strongly, with Lipinski perhaps looking the most comfortable which augurs well for his endurance as a mid. Kelly and Dean were also looking relaxed as key position type height which indicates their excellent tanks too. Both Jetta and Selwood looked in good nick as evidenced by how they performed in this test.

Watching some of the newbies, Murley generally impressed with his kicking and he appears to move well. He will wear 27, as Poulter has swapped to his favourite #24. Nick Daics looking wonderful in his father’s erstwhile number moved with celerity and generally hit targets with ease. During a match sim which was mainly based around skills and ball movement, he seemed to be stationed in the defensive area. Draper wore the yellow cap to denote that he’s yet to be in full training but he looked quite good in terms of the way he moved and his kicking style. Begg notably showed his good skills back in July after he was first drafted, but have noted that his dexterity for a big guy is impressive in terms of how deftly he handles ground balls and so on. Harvey Harrison was also there and he has a bit of dash about him.

During this match simulation where there was little emphasis on tackling etc., there were certainly a few miskicks and the occasional dropped marks, including Murley, but there was clear evidence that the ball moved around perceptibly quicker and this is obviously in response to new instructions. All the coaches were pro active in issuing orders as the players partook of this activity and at times, some of the players had individual chats with the coaches. Was disappointed a couple of times regarding Bianco’s miskicks, but at other times he nailed it. Kelly looks to have built up and he looked athletic during the drills and pseudo match-play,

There were a few tackling drills which were effected at greater intensity than has often been the case in the past. Selwood used to get serious with the newbies but there was sometimes a sense of going through the motions with these types of exercises. Waite means business – tackling is meaningful and for real.

Crisp, Elliott, Moore and Grundy attended formal training for the first time this pre-season and all looked in fine fettle. Jamie looks in superb condition. Grundy appeared to be labouring less in the beep test than he usually showed during the time trial, while Moore looked extremely fit and he moved and performed sharply in all the drills with excellent marking and kicking. Crisp was as indefatigable as ever apart from his non-appearance in the beep test.
One gets the feeling from watching training today that there will be a much greater emphasis on tackling and swift ball movement leading up to the matches. The players, many of whom have endured a number of pre-seasons should benefit from the change in this training regimen. I noticed some of them listening intently, including the likes of Grundy, to explanations of the new drills etc. I should whet their appetite for the real thing given that rehearsing the same routines can often induce inertia.

Licuria and Taz were spotted arriving and walking into the pavilion. The guys stripping their shirts off to change vests for the match sim phase was a highlight for the onlookers throning the oval. The ‘crowd’ certainly did grow and included some fans bedecked in their Collingwood guernseys and other Magpie attire.

BTW I took a rare day off work (all my senior classes finished last week) to view this most important session!
Are you studying Journalism or literature?

"Celerity" for the win. :thumbsu:

Pendles injury is going to get blown completely out of proportion on here anyway so do we think we could at least report it correctly as the rest of 2021? Or about 6 training sessions?

So you’re saying there’s a chance that they might not need to amputate the leg?

Maynard is a sensational kick.

Howe is a nice kick just plays on and bombs it, not sure that works with the new rumoured game style.

I much prefer Maynard playing on and either carrying the footy or hitting up a player.
Howes kicking is sublime! Not sure what games you’ve been watching. If anything g I’d Maynard is more suspect.

Good to hear we actually have someone to Coach our Rucks.

Good to hear Grundy Practising a Different Kid of Tap
We had Rocca, he was our most superior ruckman over that period. Never really rated Fraser in the ruck, but that may have less to do with craft and more to do with him being less aggressive.

Last edited:
We had Rocca, he was our most superior ruckman over that period. Never really rated Fraser in the ruck, but they have less to do with craft and more to do with him being less aggressive.
Rocco had 786 hit outs in 242 games
Fraser had 2576 hit outs in 218 games.

Rocca was a handy ruck back up, but Fraser was far superior. He had a few excellent seasons but was hampered by injury.

Hopefully he can help Grundy get back to the top.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon it needs to be the coach and his coaching team who decide how the captain is appointed. I have no problem with Pendles continuing on but if McRae prefers a change surely thats the way to go

If I were McRae that would be my decision. I'd talk to Pendles and if he still wanted it, it would be his. I'm pretty sure McRae has said the same thing in his first interview with the club. I think it'd be the right call.

Rocca was a handy ruck back up, but Fraser was far superior. He had a few excellent seasons but was hampered by injury.

Not bad hitout numbers for Rocca given he probably played 90+ % game time forward.

Rocca played as a CHF, didn’t have the tank to follow. When he did compete in the ruck contests, we had an ascendency.

If I were McRae that would be my decision. I'd talk to Pendles and if he still wanted it, it would be his. I'm pretty sure McRae has said the same thing in his first interview with the club. I think it'd be the right call.

Retaining Pendles as captain would be a missed opportunity for the club. It’s a new era and with the leadership void we face now is the time to hand over the reins whilst Pendles can still be a sounding board for his successor. It’ll also ease his commitments outside the club so that he can hopefully focus further on extracting everything he can out of himself before he calls it a day.

FWIW Rocca was an average ruckman, but he was a tremendous FWD/ ruck. I would sell my soul to find the next Anthony Rocca in the modern game. The problem is they’d never make it because they wouldn’t be able to cover the ground.

Retaining Pendles as captain would be a missed opportunity for the club. It’s a new era and with the leadership void we face now is the time to hand over the reins whilst Pendles can still be a sounding board for his successor. It’ll also ease his commitments outside the club so that he can hopefully focus further on extracting everything he can out of himself before he calls it a day.

Who would you pick as Captain?

Who would you pick as Captain?

Adams. He wants it, he’ll do a good enough job until N Daicos is ready and if you wait any longer it’ll become a Burns type one or two year thing. Three captains in three years worked for us under MM not so sure about McRae.

The only query is his body, not that he’s always injured, but rather that he’s always injured due to overtraining. He needs to sort that out if he wants to captain the club.

Edit: Crisp would actually be my choice, but I don’t think he’s any hope of getting it which is why I went with Adams.

Last edited:
Adams. He wants it, he’ll do a good enough job until N Daicos is ready and if you wait any longer it’ll become a Burns type one or two year thing. Three captains in three years worked for us under MM not so sure about McRae.

The only query is his body, not that he’s always injured, but rather that he’s always injured due to overtraining. He needs to sort that out if he wants to captain the club.

Edit: Crisp would actually be my choice, but I don’t think he’s any hope of getting it which is why I went with Adams.
Pendles for me, for one more year. There's going to be a change in game plan and Pendles is well placed to ensure that there's on-field reinforcement of the new plan - Adams is next in-line, he needs to learn how to manage his body - if he's going to be captain then we need him out there every week, not busting up his body and then incurring serious injury.

Ant didn't play much ruck. In the back half of 2003, he took centre bounce ruckwork and then moved forward - he was awesome in both roles.

Grundy has 5447 Hit outs with 6 years to go on his contract. Not sure a ruck coach pure qualifications is based on their Hit out record.

Grundy has 5447 Hit outs with 6 years to go on his contract. Not sure a ruck coach pure qualifications is based on their Hit out record.
Hit out stats can be very misleading - there are hit outs and there are hit outs and Grundy's are neither.

They are consistently straight down to his feet.

That was fine in the early part of his career before everyone understand how good he was at ground level but that hasn't applied for years.

Part of this is the club's fault with their lackadaisical attitude to ruck coaching because his standard ruck craft should have been coached out of him years ago when the opposition adjusted to his style and simply blocked the contest up at every opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back