FOLL: OMac C.Rayner L.Neale
INTER: D.Zorko, J.Berry, D.Robertson, C.Ah’Chee

Emergencies
T.Berry, J.Prior, T.Fullatron, C.McFayden,
J.Payne, D.Fort, J.Madden, N.Cockatoo,
R.Lester, E.Smith, B.Coleman, H.Sharp
No Mitch in your top 30 ?

I love Robbo.
Not sure we can go into 2022 with Robbo, Rich, Neale, Zorko and Lyons. Between Defence and forward gets very one paced.
Clugga, J Berry, Sharp, Starc and Robertson seem to be able to run the k's
Unless we have some serious injuries to our best 22 (& I sincerely hope & pray we do not) I cannot see M.Robbo nor Matheson in our 22 all season.

Unless we have some serious injuries to our best 22 (& I sincerely hope & pray we do not) I cannot see M.Robbo nor Matheson in our 22 all season.
Love Robbo but if that's the case it could really open up some options to transition and use the ball better in attack. I feel like we may start the season with Robbo just to play it safe knowing what we'll get from him but hopefully transition to one of the younger boys.

Love Robbo but if that's the case it could really open up some options to transition and use the ball better in attack. I feel like we may start the season with Robbo just to play it safe knowing what we'll get from him but hopefully transition to one of the younger boys.
I'll be sad to see Robbo be done, but am excited to see someone else take on the role.
Honestly I thought someone would have overtaken him last year

I'll be sad to see Robbo be done, but am excited to see someone else take on the role.
Honestly I thought someone would have overtaken him last year
Wouldn't surprise me though if some team like Gold Coast gave him a 1-2 year deal at the end of this year to play and help build the culture over there for their football club, as he is still probably Best 22 material for a young & developing side such like the Suns are currently placed.

I wonder if MRobbo finds himself on the outer he might be asked to play as a defensive forward in the VFL. If we get injuries or we lack some defensive pressure in that area of the ground he would be a great inclusion for a couple weeks, maybe even a finals series. Open season on running half backs :)

During the 2021 preseason Robbo was talked about not making the best 22 by a lot on here myself included
Last preseason he had some injury struggles which was my worry about him at the time
He had some young guys pushing their case but held them off to have another good year.
He played 22 of 24 games missing round 22 & 23 then back for finals
Stats wise and effort in 2021 did not drop off so if anyone takes his spot they will probably have shown plenty in this preseason

Can't wait to see which positions some players line up in the intraclub games

During the 2021 preseason Robbo was talked about not making the best 22 by a lot on here myself included
Last preseason he had some injury struggles which was my worry about him at the time
He had some young guys pushing their case but held them off to have another good year.
He played 22 of 24 games missing round 22 & 23 then back for finals
Stats wise and effort in 2021 did not drop off so if anyone takes his spot they will probably have shown plenty in this preseason

Can't wait to see which positions some players line up in the intraclub games
He had a pretty decent year.
He is the sort of player that could fall off he perch quickly because he relies on being so high octane.
He had a couple of pretty costly moments v dogs including a very rushed kick out of defence when he was 10m clear. My main worry is he seems to be going to ground even more than he used to.
Gee hasn't he been absolute heart and soul player though. I remember being at a game in about 2016. We were getting pumped at the gabba. Opposition player gets the player and Robbo lined him up from 15 metres away and just absolutely buried him. It got the whole crowd and side up and about. You watched him and thought if everyone just tried that hard, we'd be okay. One of our very best pick-ups, and he has absolutely changed as a human - was on the scrapheap and instead got another 8 years earning a good wage for him and his family. At our lowest ebb he set the standard and gave people hope. A flag for him would be as feelgood as Shane Crawford's i reckon.

An interesting exercise might be to think who is an immediate selection in Round 1 against Port even if they have a subpar or injury impacted pre-season and other contenders for their spot are flying. There aren't too many I think, more due to quality depth than a lack of top tier players. I've got seven:

Defenders: Andrews, Rich
Mods: McInerney, Neale, McCluggage
Fwd: Cameron, Daniher

Lyons, Starcevich, Bailey, McStay and maybe some others all close to locks but could see them not quite making it if they are down and others look cherry ripe. Maybe Big O fits here too given we have Fort now. You could construct a scenario they all could miss (not together of course) so I have them as very very likelies rather than dead certs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An interesting exercise might be to think who is an immediate selection in Round 1 against Port even if they have a subpar or injury impacted pre-season and other contenders for their spot are flying. There aren't too many I think, more due to quality depth than a lack of top tier players. I've got seven:

Defenders: Andrews, Rich
Mods: McInerney, Neale, McCluggage
Fwd: Cameron, Daniher

Lyons, Starcevich, Bailey, McStay and maybe some others all close to locks but could see them not quite making it if they are down and others look cherry ripe. Maybe Big O fits here too given we have Fort now. You could construct a scenario they all could miss (not together of course) so I have them as very very likelies rather than dead certs.
I'd have a lot more certainties(if fit/available) for 1st round selection than that >

Brandon Stacevich, Harris Andrews, .........
Darcy Gardiner, ............... Daniel Rich.

Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Hugh McCluggage.
Jarryd Lyons, Zac Bailey, Jarrod Berry.

Charlie Cameron, Daniel McStay, Cam Rayner.
Lincoln McCarthy, Joe Daniher, ..........

Dayne Zorko, ........... ............ ...........

I would also have Keidean Coleman, Marcus Adams and Darcy Fort as very close to locks for round 1.

Chris Fagan was saying in yesterdays interview that the coaches have already sat down and thrown a few magnets around as to what our best 22 will look like next season, IMO they would have a very good idea who they would ideally want in their best side with all players available, only injury or exceptional intra club and pre season games form would change that view.

I'd have a lot more certainties(if fit/available) for 1st round selection than that >

Brandon Stacevich, Harris Andrews, .........
Darcy Gardiner, ............... Daniel Rich.

Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Hugh McCluggage.
Jarryd Lyons, Zac Bailey, Jarrod Berry.

Charlie Cameron, Daniel McStay, Cam Rayner.
Lincoln McCarthy, Joe Daniher, ..........

Dayne Zorko, ........... ............ ...........

I would also have Keidean Coleman, Marcus Adams and Darcy Fort as very close to locks for round 1.

Chris Fagan was saying in yesterdays interview that the coaches have already sat down and thrown a few magnets around as to what our best 22 will look like next season, IMO they would have a very good idea who they would ideally want in their best side with all players available, only injury or exceptional intra club and pre season games form would change that view.
Yep 100%, I think we've got a pretty settled core to our team and have done for the last couple years only having 2-3 changes each year.
I still think Fullarton will have a pretty strong run at that 3rd tall/backup ruck role, personally I have him ahead of Fort at this stage but pretty 50/50.

Yep 100%, I think we've got a pretty settled core to our team and have done for the last couple years only having 2-3 changes each year.
I still think Fullarton will have a pretty strong run at that 3rd tall/backup ruck role, personally I have him ahead of Fort at this stage but pretty 50/50.

If we weren't going to give Fort first crack at it, we would not have bought him in. The spot is his to lose, IMO.

If we weren't going to give Fort first crack at it, we would not have bought him in. The spot is his to lose, IMO.
Not necessarily, there's a few reasons for bringing Fort in. We lost Archie so we wouldn't have had another ruckman aside from Lane who probably isn't ready yet. Even with Fullarton in the team we had to play Payne as a forward in the finals last season so we still need depth that could come in and play key forward. In the big picture Fort was brought in as depth to Oscar, Daniher, Hipwood and McStay so I don't think it'd be unlikely for Fullarton to overtake him and play up until Hipwood's return.

This is so hard... which mainly is a good thing. Yes, I've deliberately gone tall - I think it's the best way to win finals, and I think we should be treating regular season matches as though they are finals, given our issues winning them in recent years.

Round 1 team

B: Gardiner, Andrews, Starcevich
HB: Rich, Adams, K Coleman
C: J Berry, Neale, McCluggage
HF: McCarthy, Daniher, Fullarton
FF: Cockatoo, McStay, Cameron
R: McInerney, Zorko, Bailey

Int: Fort, Rayner, Lyons, Robinson

Emer: Ah Chee, Lester, Mathieson

Stiff: Robertson, Answerth, Madden, Payne, Sharp, Prior, T Berry

Less Stiff: E Smith, H Smith, McFadyen, Ellis-Yolmen, B Coleman, Michael, Uosis, Lane, Wilmot, Lohmann, Tunstill

Injured: Hipwood (comes in for Fullarton once fit)

This is so hard... which mainly is a good thing. Yes, I've deliberately gone tall - I think it's the best way to win finals, and I think we should be treating regular season matches as though they are finals, given our issues winning them in recent years.

Round 1 team

B: Gardiner, Andrews, Starcevich
HB: Rich, Adams, K Coleman
C: J Berry, Neale, McCluggage
HF: McCarthy, Daniher, Fullarton
FF: Cockatoo, McStay, Cameron
R: McInerney, Zorko, Bailey

Int: Fort, Rayner, Lyons, Robinson

Emer: Ah Chee, Lester, Mathieson

Stiff: Robertson, Answerth, Madden, Payne, Sharp, Prior, T Berry

Less Stiff: E Smith, H Smith, McFadyen, Ellis-Yolmen, B Coleman, Michael, Uosis, Lane, Wilmot, Lohmann, Tunstill

Injured: Hipwood (comes in for Fullarton once fit)
Who plays as the 7th defender?

Not necessarily, there's a few reasons for bringing Fort in. We lost Archie so we wouldn't have had another ruckman aside from Lane who probably isn't ready yet. Even with Fullarton in the team we had to play Payne as a forward in the finals last season so we still need depth that could come in and play key forward. In the big picture Fort was brought in as depth to Oscar, Daniher, Hipwood and McStay so I don't think it'd be unlikely for Fullarton to overtake him and play up until Hipwood's return.

I rest my case. The fact Fullarton could not ruck to save his life will also probably be considered by the selection committee.

I rest my case. The fact Fullarton could not ruck to save his life will also probably be considered by the selection committee.
Fullarton looks bigger and stronger already, looks to be running pretty well this pre-season as well. I'll back him in to improve and also don't believe he was as bad as he's been made out to be.

Fullarton looks bigger and stronger already, looks to be running pretty well this pre-season as well. I'll back him in to improve and also don't believe he was as bad as he's been made out to be.
Fullarton was ok but still has plenty of development to go, happier with Fort as the backup ruck in the here & now. I think our KPF reserves are a bit questionable in terms of their seniors potential just yet.

Be nice if he could mark above his head. And ruck. Mate, I have a track record of supporting Tom, but we are far more likely to win a flag with Darcy in the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back