Discussion Saints drinks

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok what is the best size beer glass? Back in the day when I first started getting served in pubs they had the bar and the ladies lounge. Old timers in the bar often drank ponys 5 ounces and the standard drink was a glass 200ml 7 ounces. I was getting in underage, I have no idea how because I looked about 14 at 16 but things were pretty slack in the late seventies.

Pretty quickly a pot became the drink of choice 285ml and stayed that way for ages until the schooner and pint became popular. Anyway I’ve been using pots, schooners and pint glasses for years now but I got my hands on two old fashioned 200ml glasses and there great. The beer stays nice and cold, I also tend to drink less and they have a nice feel in the hand.

Anyway thoughts ?

While I’m at it with Christmas fast approaching what are your go to drinks or do you stay off the drink. I’m usually a non starter on the day but in the week before and after it’s crown larger for some strange tradition and Chandon is my domestic of choice with moet and Lanson my preferred French. Don’t buy non vintage French, good Aussie sparkling has the non vintage covered at half the price Imo.

While I’m at it with Christmas fast approaching what are your go to drinks or do you stay off the drink. I’m usually a non starter on the day but in the week before and after it’s crown larger for some strange tradition and Chandon is my domestic of choice with moet and Lanson my preferred French. Don’t buy non vintage French, good Aussie sparkling has the non vintage covered at half the price Imo.

I much prefer Aussie sparkling than French, my family and in-laws all go for Mumm, Moet or Vueve or how ever it's spelled and they all taste like cats piss. I honestly think they are close to undrinkable and only wank factor sells them. We had a good bottle of Dom Perignon once and that was better but still average for the money. Local Chandon is really solid and good value.

I don't mind a nice cognac at Christmas but usually just beer if it's hot and a brandy with some pudding to light it up and one for the pyrotechnician. Nothing like being overstuffed in a hot climate and trying to dull the pain with booze.

I much prefer Aussie sparkling than French, my family and in-laws all go for Mumm, Moet or Vueve or how ever it's spelled and they all taste like cats piss. I honestly think they are close to undrinkable and only wank factor sells them. We had a good bottle of Dom Perignon once and that was better but still average for the money. Local Chandon is really solid and good value.

I don't mind a nice cognac at Christmas but usually just beer if it's hot and a brandy with some pudding to light it up and one for the pyrotechnician. Nothing like being overstuffed in a hot climate and trying to dull the pain with booze.
Yep even dom is fearfully expensive for what it is, Chandon is great value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a very nice view George, a beer out there must be quite relaxing.
In summer it's nice, the umbrella that goes with the table comes out on the really hot days to keep the sun off but usually it's fine. Spent the last few New Years with friends at mine and the fireworks display from the CBD is nice. Love to get on the BBQ so I'm usually always out there anyway, put some music on have a few beers and relax.

Ok what is the best size beer glass? Back in the day when I first started getting served in pubs they had the bar and the ladies lounge. Old timers in the bar often drank ponys 5 ounces and the standard drink was a glass 200ml 7 ounces. I was getting in underage, I have no idea how because I looked about 14 at 16 but things were pretty slack in the late seventies.

Pretty quickly a pot became the drink of choice 285ml and stayed that way for ages until the schooner and pint became popular. Anyway I’ve been using pots, schooners and pint glasses for years now but I got my hands on two old fashioned 200ml glasses and there great. The beer stays nice and cold, I also tend to drink less and they have a nice feel in the hand.

Anyway thoughts ?
Depends where you are I think. Pints usually for me so I don't have to keep going back for more.

I'm currently collecting stein glasses with different German beers on them and I like those on the odd occasion at home but that's for when I really want to get sideways, obviously the bigger the glass the quicker you've got to finish it otherwise it turns to cats piss.

I've got my younger brother into the European beers the last few years and my mothers partner has turned off the Aussie beers and into the Euro ones as well so usually between the three of us we'll get a case of Budvar, Lowenbrau, Birra Moretti and Peroni Red and then stock up on meat. Nice mix of heavy and light beers. I usually buy a few Boerewors and order a few packets of Biltong from this place in Sydney and we do a good BBQ along with other stuff my family brings along.

I've got my younger brother into the European beers the last few years and my mothers partner has turned off the Aussie beers and into the Euro ones as well so usually between the three of us we'll get a case of Budvar, Lowenbrau, Birra Moretti and Peroni Red and then stock up on meat. Nice mix of heavy and light beers. I usually buy a few Boerewors and order a few packets of Biltong from this place in Sydney and we do a good BBQ along with other stuff my family brings along.

Sounds great I’m the only drinker so I usually don’t bother. The food is pretty standard, loin of pork with roast veg, a ham, cold chicken and a couple of kilos of good quality fresh prawns with the usual salads. It’s leftovers for tea and desert is always a pav and just fresh fruit, big box of cherries etc. I have this tree already up from a place in bay road, actually they’ve just moved around the corner after decades but it’s bloody huge 7 feet tall and the biggest circumference of any tree I’ve had.

One of my daughters is off to the Murray with her fiancé’s family. She is so angry it’s actually funny but she’s just started her first teaching job and she loves Christmas at home so she’s demanding we have a Christmas Day for her the Sunday before. I don’t mind I’ll skip the loin of pork and add more seafood. Actually it’s been a busy few weeks she completed her course and landed a local teaching job. My eldest daughter started her first job outside of teaching at Monash and my eldest son is bidding on a nice local apartment this Saturday, so it’s been all go.

I‘d love a bbq but there’s no chance of that but I’ll fire it up after New Years.

Sounds great I’m the only drinker so I usually don’t bother. The food is pretty standard, loin of pork with roast veg, a ham, cold chicken and a couple of kilos of good quality fresh prawns with the usual salads. It’s leftovers for tea and desert is always a pav and just fresh fruit, big box of cherries etc. I have this tree already up from a place in bay road, actually they’ve just moved around the corner after decades but it’s bloody huge 7 feet tall and the biggest circumference of any tree I’ve had.

One of my daughters is off to the Murray with her fiancé’s family. She is so angry it’s actually funny but she’s just started her first teaching job and she loves Christmas at home so she’s demanding we have a Christmas Day for her the Sunday before. I don’t mind I’ll skip the loin of pork and add more seafood. Actually it’s been a busy few weeks she completed her course and landed a local teaching job. My eldest daughter started her first job outside of teaching at Monash and my eldest son is bidding on a nice local apartment this Saturday, so it’s been all go.

I‘d love a bbq but there’s no chance of that but I’ll fire it up after New Years.
That's great to hear mate hope they manage to enjoy themselves, it does seem pretty full on. I'm in a similar boat to your daughter, I just got into a relationship with this girl about a month ago and she wants me up in Ballarat to meet her family so I'm trying to get out of it haha, maybe next year. I'll be working up until the 23rd and trying to repaint my place before Christmas so it's been difficult juggling everything. Personally just spending time with immediate family, music and good food/drink will do me. I'm an introvert and hate small talk especially on days like that surrounded by people I see a couple times a year. In saying that we deliberately have stopped the huge family gatherings, we do our own thing with immediate family and then if we want we go to the extended family in the afternoon or they come to ours. It's a long tiring day full of food and beer so it takes a bit of mental preparation to be up for it, for me anyway haha

My 18 year old daughter just got her first job at the Espy. $26 base rate plus extra for after hours and weekends...which is all she can do because of uni. Bar work is better paid than when I was at uni.

My 18 year old daughter just got her first job at the Espy. $26 base rate plus extra for after hours and weekends...which is all she can do because of uni. Bar work is better paid than when I was at uni.

Mine is 23, she was doing great before Covid, then had to grovel to get jobs in Dan Murphey's and Woolies. ( I got some of the damaged can's from dans for a while ). She got a TAB certification, so they've pretty much put her in charge of the sports bar at the pub. Think she has her gaming now too.
Back at the pub again and they are crying out for staff, a lot of the old ones are settled at woolies, and worried about going back to the pub in case there is another lockdown.
She just got my son a job there.

That’s great it puts some money in her pocket and she sees a bit of life and the pays better than I thought it would be.

Crickets on soon the poms won the toss and elected to bat 😳, looks plenty in the deck and it’s overcast. No Anderson or broad, I have no idea why but I bet Warner is a happy man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back