Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Ultimate professional.

Hoping that he can end up being a damaging wingman that can break the lines with his run and carry.

I don't think he is well suited to playing across half forward.
Yeah, two way wingman would be his go I reckon. If Sleevo/Polec are more offensively orientated and LMac/Young more defensively orientated than Laz could be like a swingman for the wing. He has some tools to be damaging forward of centre but also appears to have the drive to play the thankless role and push back hard into defence.

rooboy335 posted this spot on take on Charlie in the training thread. Deserved to be posted to his thread too for posterity.

Thanks KC! I think Charlie is often overlooked/forgotten when talking up the young midfield talent we have accumulated, mainly because all of the first rounders we've drafted over the past few years look so promising. While he may not have that high ceiling/potential that some of the other boys possess, I can see Lizard developing into an important role player as the rest of the squad develops in the coming seasons.

I mean, coming off an interrupted 2020 where all the Vic boys hardly got to show off their wares or develop their game at all, he had a pretty bloody decent first year in the system. 12 senior games (albeit at least three I think were as the Sub, but who had him pencilled in for that many games in his first year when we drafted him?), showed some great signs and composure in some moments throughout the year, especially in the game against the eventual premiers where he had 15 disposals, and showed a bit of speed, poise and class to slot that first goal against the Dogs. Also had a stint in the vfl and in 3 of the 4 games he had:

18disp, 9tkls
29disp, 5tkls 1gl
24disp, 5tkls 1gl 2bh

Also averaged 20 disposals as an inside mid in his underage year at the Falcons. He might be a bit too small to play that inside mid role he's probably best suited to, but I think he's versatile enough to find a spot floating as a winger/small forward with maybe some time in the middle with more experience. I hope he makes it, and little things like showing the initiative to improve his running technique/speed with The Speed Project during the offseason will hopefully get him there.

Charlie has put in a lot of work in the offseason to push himself beyond where the 'normal' development for a 2nd year player is.
Really hope the coaches can see it and he plays regular 22 footy next year.
Not sure where his position will be though.

Can't help but think with his attributes (particularly speed), he's forced Froggy out, wing for mine.

Thanks KC! I think Charlie is often overlooked/forgotten when talking up the young midfield talent we have accumulated, mainly because all of the first rounders we've drafted over the past few years look so promising. While he may not have that high ceiling/potential that some of the other boys possess, I can see Lizard developing into an important role player as the rest of the squad develops in the coming seasons.

I mean, coming off an interrupted 2020 where all the Vic boys hardly got to show off their wares or develop their game at all, he had a pretty bloody decent first year in the system. 12 senior games (albeit at least three I think were as the Sub, but who had him pencilled in for that many games in his first year when we drafted him?), showed some great signs and composure in some moments throughout the year, especially in the game against the eventual premiers where he had 15 disposals, and showed a bit of speed, poise and class to slot that first goal against the Dogs. Also had a stint in the vfl and in 3 of the 4 games he had:

18disp, 9tkls
29disp, 5tkls 1gl
24disp, 5tkls 1gl 2bh

Also averaged 20 disposals as an inside mid in his underage year at the Falcons. He might be a bit too small to play that inside mid role he's probably best suited to, but I think he's versatile enough to find a spot floating as a winger/small forward with maybe some time in the middle with more experience. I hope he makes it, and little things like showing the initiative to improve his running technique/speed with The Speed Project during the offseason will hopefully get him there.
He hasn't been overlooked by me. I think he is a ripper and I can't wait to watch him for the next 10 years!

fantastic intiative by the club - more of this please
The club didn’t set this up! Charlie had the drive to set a high standard for himself so he joined various other players from different clubs to train with the speed project!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club didn’t set this up! Charlie had the drive to set a high standard for himself so he joined various other players from different clubs to train with the speed project!
Ben McKay is a part of the same project to work on his speed.

Ben McKay is a part of the same project to work on his speed.

453452.jpg

Between Lazzaro, Phillips and Simpkin, all of our younger guys who show leadership potential all look to be incredibly hard workers. It's another reason to root for Lazzaro to become a great player, as you can start to see a really strong culture building where our best players all lead by example on the track.

Having guys like Boomer, Blakey and Cross at the club, who were all some of the better trainers in the league, can't hurt either.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back