FTA-TV The Wheel Of Time (WoT) *NO BOOK SPOILERS*

The only one that seems quite removed from the perception of how the character was viewed is Lan.

Was always portrayed as being something more like Tolkien battled hardened Dunedain than the Samurai like Lan the show went with.

Just doesn't seem as imposing as Lan should. Mads would have made a great Lan.

View attachment 1292991
Really? Disagree on that. The impression of the Malkier in the books was that they were based on Asian culture. I more or less pictured Lan exactly how he is portrayed in the show... maybe just with longer hair. The golden crane as their banner (cranes as a symbol are seen commonly in asian culture) as well as the hadori which the men wear which seemed Japanese to me.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Really? Disagree on that. The impression of the Malkier in the books was that they were based on Asian culture. I more or less pictured Lan exactly how he is portrayed in the show... maybe just with longer hair. The golden crane as their banner (cranes as a symbol are seen commonly in asian culture) as well as the hadori which the men wear which seemed Japanese to me.

Yup.

Lan is often described as having a face of stone and chilling blue eyes.

Didn’t realise there was a BigFooty WoT thread! I love the books and am thoroughly enjoying the show despite some unexpected changes, so I’m excited to discuss the show somewhere that isn’t Reddit.

Come here to the book thread where we are more lax with spoilers.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Episode 6 is dire apart from the last 5 minutes. There's a bitchy witch gathering, and a focus on Moiraine who is not at all endearing as portrayed by Rosalind Pike. I would have liked to have seen more of Mat's story, and despite the dud lines he has been given, Barney Harris can actually act.

Are the books this bad or has this show butchered them? I can think of 20 characters from the first season of Game of Thrones that are more interesting and better acted than any from this show.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Episode 6 is dire apart from the last 5 minutes. There's a bitchy witch gathering, and a focus on Moiraine who is not at all endearing as portrayed by Rosalind Pike. I would have liked to have seen more of Mat's story, and despite the dud lines he has been given, Barney Harris can actually act.

Are the books this bad or has this show butchered them? I can think of 20 characters from the first season of Game of Thrones that are more interesting and better acted than any from this show.
Short answer: Rafe Judkins just disinterred Jordan's coffin, opened the lid, and took a huge dump on Jordan's remains.

Any resemblance between the books & show is purely coincidental - a pure accident, which somehow slipped through Rafe Judkins' murdering of Jordan's legacy.

Long answer: see the thread in the Books sub-forum.

Last edited:

Butchered, changed the order of events, merged some aspects, and completely ignored a lot of the character and world building to advance the plot. I get the 8 episode run has kind of forced their hand but it is too much. Creating conflicts and additional plot lines that don't happen in the books plays a big part as well.

Have watched the first 15 minutes of Ep 1 and haven’t been back
Why should I return to it?
Is it any good?
I reckon it’s a pretty solid fantasy with good production values and stunning scenery. Not a “bookee” so am not privy to the validity of their criticisms but I like the storyline. You should at least finish ep one as things go crazy towards the end and you can then decide whether to continue.

The plot is now quite different to the books (ep 6 diverged the most), but that's to be expected. I think it's quite naive to think it was going to closely align. Would probably take 8 seasons just for The Eye of The World (book 1) if they kept the plot the same.

To me the vibe is more or less the same as the books which is more important IMO (once you accept the plot was always going to change to some degree). They've more or less nailed the characters, the Aes Sedai, the one power and the world itself. Overall, all the major plot lines will be hit, it's the details and order that will be changed. I can live with that.

Some changes I can understand why they've made them for TV as they just work better. For example, by keeping the suspense around the dragon reborn it gives the show a hook which is necessary to hold people's attention (that haven't read the books). I think focusing a lot more on the Aes Sedai is a good idea as well. They are quite an interesting part of the world and they came into a stronger focus later on in the books. By bringing that focus closer to the start I think it's another good hook for non-book readers.

There are some omissions from the book that are bit of a TBD for me on how they play out. Those changes could be hit or miss, depending on future seasons.

Anyway I'm enjoying it for what it is, basically bringing the WoT world to the screen. It's not perfect but it's still pretty cool. While I was pretty pumped for the release of the show, I also thought there was a 50% chance that it would be absolutely butchered which I don't think they have at all (others might disagree).

It's interesting that every non-book reader I know is really into the show.

Was the best episode of the season so far IMO.

With the way the Dragon Reborn was revealed, a lot of the earlier changes and omissions from the books made sense. That's why I said I was TBD on some of the changes previously, the way they would play out was still an unknown. There are still quite a few TBDs for me, but I'm pretty confident that I won't be let down too much.

The weakest part of the show is definitely some of the dialogue... although the same could probably be said for the books.

All the actual plot is coming together nicely, and there's been a few little signs that once the story expands into the wider world that will continue.

We have just had the second last episode of the season and no one is even to bother posting.

people clearly not interested. Such a pity.

That is because we are in the book thread where we can discuss with spoilers.

We have just had the second last episode of the season and no one is even to bother posting.

people clearly not interested. Such a pity.
Probably because you're here and you tend to ruin every thread you post in.

Back