Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
View attachment 1292653

Assumes Cunnington is unavailable
We must play Comden at CHF if fit. His development is vital to our future
Callum Jones can come off the bench to give Goldy a break or to play forward if we need him
There are 12 players in my 22 who can rotate through the midfield if required
defense rotation kinda suffers with nobody on the bench who can cover.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is this best 22 and forget about injuries?
In the history of BF no one has ever really decided on what best 22 means. Especially when it comes to post-game breakdowns in neutral areas. "He's best 22 and we didn't have him!" "He's never fit anyway, so he's not best 22" and so on and so on.

My best 22 assumed all players at peak fitness but Cunnington as I think he'll likely be unavailable for the best part of the season.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
B: Bonar McKay J. Walker

HB: Hall Corr Ziebell

C: Sleevo Powell McDonald

HF: Thomas CCJ JHF

FF: Zurhaar Larkey Ford

FOL: Goldstein Simpkin LDU

INT: Greenwood Anderson Phillips Turner

The hardest spot and obvious hole in our list is the small forward. Tossed up between Mahony or putting a mid there but ended up going with Ford, even though he plays taller.

Turner has to be in the side for his defensive roles, but some weeks that’ll be down back, other weeks as a defensive forward.

Apart from that, I think our biggest strength is we have a lot of players that can play through the middle and also play other positions which gives us a lot of flexibility.

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Say our entire coaching staff was tragically killed by a jealous * fan tomorrow. In an hour of need, the NMFC board appoints the Shinboners on BF to become the new coaching regime, on the proviso all our selections are made democratically.

This is our round one team announcement.*

DEF
Turner (17 votes)McKay (20 votes)Bonar (12 votes)
Hall (18)Corr (19)Ziebell (19)
MID
McDonald (19)Simpkin (20)Powell (19)
FWD
Sleevo (20)CCJ (20)Thomas (20)
Zurhaar (20)Larkey (20)JHF (20)
FOL
Goldstein (19)LDU (20)Greenwood (19)
INT
Phillips (18)Mahoney (11)Comben (10)Anderson OR Ford OR Taylor (8)

*Based on the 20 nominations posted since we got the news about Greenwood and Cunners.
Everyone is basically unanimous on the FWD line, and except for one youngster-fundamentalist poster its the same for the followers.
The defence was more unanimous than I thought - it was only when we got to the back pocket that things were pretty indecisive.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Say our entire coaching staff was tragically killed by a jealous * fan tomorrow. In an hour of need, the NMFC board appoints the Shinboners on BF to become the new coaching regime, on the proviso all our selections are made democratically.

This is our round one team announcement.*

DEF
Turner (17 votes)McKay (20 votes)Bonar (12 votes)
Hall (18)Corr (19)Ziebell (19)
MID
McDonald (19)Simpkin (20)Powell (19)
FWD
Sleevo (20)CCJ (20)Thomas (20)
Zurhaar (20)Larkey (20)JHF (20)
FOL
Goldstein (19)LDU (20)Greenwood (19)
INT
Phillips (18)Mahoney (11)Comben (10)Anderson OR Ford OR Taylor OR Perez (8)

*Based on the 20 nominations posted since we got the news about Greenwood and Cunners.
Everyone is basically unanimous on the FWD line, and except for one youngster-fundamentalist poster its the same for the followers.
The defence was more unanimous than I thought - it was only when we got to the back pocket that things were pretty indecisive.

Honestly not surprised that Walker didn’t make the list but he’s a lock.

When I did my team there were two players that I had to shuffle the team around a bit to fit them in because they’ll definitely play when fit, Walker & Turner.

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Honestly not surprised that Walker didn’t make the list but he’s a lock.

When I did my team there were two players that I had to shuffle the team around a bit to fit them in because they’ll definitely play when fit, Walker & Turner.

Walker's got six votes out of 20! On par with Perez, one above Goater.

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think people are crazy if they don't think Josh Walker will play regular senior footy.
He's come into training in top nick and fills a few needs on field for us.
Sure his skills aren't fantastic but he's not going to get left behind either.
I thought this thread was meant to be aspirational though, not a crystal ball

Jul 10, 2008
Townsville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think people are crazy if they don't think Josh Walker will play regular senior footy.

Played forward when Corr was in and was only swung back when he got injured. Zero chance he plays forward now with Comben and CJ. Reckon he's back up.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
B: Bonar McKay J. Walker

HB: Hall Corr Ziebell

C: Sleevo Powell McDonald

HF: Thomas CCJ JHF

FF: Zurhaar Larkey Ford

FOL: Goldstein Simpkin LDU

INT: Greenwood Anderson Phillips Turner

The hardest spot and obvious hole in our list is the small forward. Tossed up between Mahony or putting a mid there but ended up going with Ford, even though he plays taller.

Turner has to be in the side for his defensive roles, but some weeks that’ll be down back, other weeks as a defensive forward.

Apart from that, I think our biggest strength is we have a lot of players that can play through the middle and also play other positions which gives us a lot of flexibility.

I like the post but feel that Team, particularly the defence is vomitus for our lot in life (18th). Slow Cumbersome and no future beyond McKay and Corr.

How can you not have McDonald down there? I’d love to know what McDonald has ever done as a Wingman to suggest he is capable of playing midfield permanently with any confidence?

Corr McKay McDonald is the Full Back line I’d be looking to settle as they actually can play together for 5 more years.

Then you have a half back line consisting of:

Goater - Moore - Perez

Sorry that’s next year.

This year (another development year) should not have us fielding a half backline with an average age of 31.

Hall & Ziebell have to play, but those last two spots D6 & D7 should probably be kids IMO.

Goater or Perez, for mine, preferably both.

CCJ has taken Walkers spot, one of CCJ, Goldstein, Larkey and Comben will float back as the 3rd tall def. Still seeing Josh play lots of footy 10+ games, but only if Ziebell or Corr or god forbid McKay, get injured.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I like the post but feel that Team, particularly the defence is vomitus for our lot in life (18th). Slow Cumbersome and no future beyond McKay and Corr.

How can you not have McDonald down there? I’d love to know what McDonald has ever done as a Wingman to suggest he is capable of playing midfield permanently with any confidence?

Corr McKay McDonald is the Full Back line I’d be looking to settle as they actually can play together for 5 more years.

Goater - Moore - Perez

Sorry that’s next year.

This year (another development year) should not have us fielding a half backline with an average age of 31.

Hall & Ziebell have to play, but those last two spots D6 & D7 should probably be kids IMO.

CCJ has taken Walkers spot, one of CCJ, Goldstein, Larkey and Comben will float back as the 3rd tall def. Still seeing Josh play lots of footy 10+ games, but only if Ziebell or Corr or god forbid McKay, get injured.

I think Bonar has a future. I like him.

Agree that Walker will miss games against the smaller forward lines, in that case McDonald drops back deeper and we rotate the mids on the wing.

McDonald has had plenty of good games on the wing.

Perez does look good, but he’s coming off a long injury break. I’d love for him or Goater to go past Hall, but Hall played some top notch footy last year, gave us more drive off half back then any player has for years, zero defensive accountability though.

TBH it’s too early for best 22. There’s plenty to play out over the preseason. Only about half the team is a lock so competition for spots amongst the young blokes will be red hot.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Goater - Moore - Perez

Sorry that’s next year.

You have to play turner imo.
His defensive work is worth the position and he'll only get better as the backline does.
Happy to have a kid rotating as a bench cover in the position as we cant really just not play any rotations in the position.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Not to mention that Corr is more suited to playing on 3rd tall types rather than genuine key forwards.

Walker will play plenty

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Back 6

FB - Kayne Turner (26) - Ben McKay (24) - Josh Walker (29)
HB - Jack Ziebell (31) - Aiden Corr (28) - Aaron Hall (31)
IC - Aiden Bonar (23)

Most mature line by a long way. I think it's a positive that our back 6 is senior & stacked with leaders, it will hopefully set us in good stead to not get blown away in 2022. Corr's fitness is a big point of difference to 2021, need him to get 22 games as it just straightens us up really well. Walker to play the intercept role, whilst Turner plays the lockdown small. Ziebell & Hall to continue to improve on their excellent 2021 seasons. Bonar was really impressive before going down injured this year, so hopeful he can stay fit and continue to develop. Others in the mix are Goater, Bosenavulagi, Young, P.Walker & Perez, no doubt they will get a taste with some injuries so it's whoever wants it the most at VFL level - Good problem to have. Avg. Age - 27.4 years.

Mid 6

C - Tom Powell (20) - Jy Simpkin (24) - Luke McDonald (27)
FOL - Todd Goldstein (34) - Luke Davies-Uniacke (23) - Hugh Greenwood (30)
IC - Will Phillips (20) - Jed Anderson (28)

Starting to look really balanced in here from an age perspective, with another year under Jy & Luke's belt - Both need to really assert themselves on the competition this year if we are to make any reasonable jump. Greenwood is such a big get for us with the Cunnington news, will be the defensive pillar of our midfield and ensure that we do not get bullied. Jed & Will may very well be fighting for a spot given they aren't super versatile. Powell doesn't have that issue and the fact he can accumulate anywhere on the ground, allows him to sit on a wing whilst having bursts in the mid. LMac to continue in the defensive wing role would be a given. Hopefully Goldy improves with CCJ in the side. Others in the mix are Laz & Scott. Avg. Age - 25.8 years.

Forward 6

HF - Tarryn Thomas (22) - Callum Coleman-Jones (23) - Jason Horne-Francis (19)
FF - Cam Zurhaar (24) - Nick Larkey (24) - Jaidyn Stephenson (23)
IC - Jack Mahoney (20)

A lot gets said about our midfield, but we are putting together some sort of forward line as well. Great mix of X-Factor, competitiveness & defense. CCJ really straightens us out IMO, he will make Souv & CZ's lives a lot easier. JHF & Mahoney playing that pressure forward role will make us far harder to rebound against. CZ, TT, JHF & JS2 are 4 absolute nightmare matchups for opposition coaches, capable of playing small & tall. If we can get these guys some decent supply, they should kick a lot of goals in 2022. Others in the mix are Ford, Taylor, Spicer & Curtis. Avg. Age - 22.1 years.

Last edited:
Probably the most interesting area of the ground for me is the forward half. Do we go CCJ/Goldy, Larkey and a bunch of mediums (Zurhaar, JHF, Ford) and Mahoney, or do we go land of the giants by also throwing Comben into the mix. I assume we go with the former, but it will be interesting to track come intraclub games and preseason games. Spicer’s development may also change the mix due to his leg speed.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Probably the most interesting area of the ground for me is the forward half. Do we go CCJ/Goldy, Larkey and a bunch of mediums (Zurhaar, JHF, Ford) and Mahoney, or do we go land of the giants by also throwing Comben into the mix. I assume we go with the former, but it will be interesting to track come intraclub games and preseason games. Spicer’s development may also change the mix due to his leg speed.

Comben has to play.

He has the most talent of all of them.

Reginald0

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Another big statement
getting to be quite a long list
Been watching a bit of Young, think he has some idea in defence as he plays the man, watching Bonar he seems to be just watching the ball, cant do just that when playing back
so Powell looks the goods as a genuine mid, I don’t want to see him getting smashed, would play him on the wing / mid and right again about LMac, must play back

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Basically set and forget for 7 years IMO

HF: Zurhaar Comben JHF
F: Thomas Larkey Sleevo

With CCJ, Ford, Curtis, Harvey & of course Crafty Mahony to go to as required.

I’d suggest we don’t have to worry too much about the mids and forwards, simply a matter of finding the next Sean Darcy and Steven May.

Back