News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

I'm sure most do, but one of the advantages of inner-city living is that you can get by without a car due to having everything you need fairly close. Having no state schools nearby negates that if you have a child going there.
Others may differ but I wouldn’t personally call East Brisbane or The Gabba, Inner City living.
Probably got atleast 3-4K of roads and a river seperating from what I would consider Inner City Living.

Others may differ but I wouldn’t personally call East Brisbane or The Gabba, Inner City living.
Probably got atleast 3-4K of roads and a river seperating from what I would consider Inner City Living.
Pretty sure the Council designates that area as inner city (for what that's worth).

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pretty sure the Council designates that area as inner city (for what that's worth).
Yes the BCC does include Woolloongabba as inner city
However like all boundaries they have to finish somewhere
The school in question is part of East Brisbane and not yet considered inner city.
Interestingly not all of "The Gabba" is in Wooloongabba. A small section next to the school is considered East Brisbane
From BCC site

Invest in the inner city
There are excellent opportunities for business in the inner-city suburbs including Brisbane CBD, Dutton Park and Fairfield, Fortitude Valley, Highgate Hill, Kangaroo Point, Kelvin Grove and Herston, New Farm, Newstead and Bowen Hills, Paddington and Milton, Red Hill, South Brisbane, Spring Hill, West End and Woolloongabba.

Use the map to find out more about local trends, precincts, population growth, development, infrastructure projects, people and new businesses in these key investment areas. Alternatively, navigate to each area using our locations list.

Link to site below that has a interactive map.
You can click on say Red Hill or Wooloongabba and see the boundary
When you look at the map overall East Brisbane stands out as the next area that will be added to inner city

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Masses of children walk to school in my neck of the woods(officially I'm an aging inner city yuppie:shoutyoldman:) ie. BSHS, St. Laurence's, Dutton Park SS, BSSSC.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looks like the modern pentathlon will have a change after the Paris games
Horse jumping to be dropped
Seeing this is the event proposed for The Reserve Springfield will be interesting to see possible changes.

Crimso

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2002
Maleny
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
In a rather constructive way, actually.

Its a nice idea but I'd imagine there will be zero appetite for a split school campus across a major road like that. Not to mention land resumptions on that sort of scale have been pretty vocally stressed they will not be occuring from all facets of govt. Going to be an interesting outcome.

I would be shocked if the gabba and surrounding infastructure didn't take up that whole block plus both during and after the games

A wave pool would be much better, there’s a really good one at Yeppoon so one in Brisbane would serve a purpose.

Would be silly to have it in a wave pool when there are so many good areas such as Snapper and South Straddie and conditions are generally good in the winter.

Crimso

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2002
Maleny
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Would be silly to have it in a wave pool when there are so many good areas such as Snapper and South Straddie and conditions are generally good in the winter.
All great breaks when there’s a swell and the banks are working and the wind is OK etc. More often than not the ocean and tides and the other factors just don’t line up for it to come together.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A wave pool costs money so won't be considered
If surfing happens better to promote our beaches to the world even if not great surf at the time
I imagine surfing could take place anytime a few days before opening date and up to the closing ceremony.
Does not require an advertised start time like other events
I am not a surfer but over the last 15 odd years Duranbah appears most regularly on Brisbane news and weather reports with reasonable/good surf year round
Snapper Rocks nearby so between the two they should get something reasonable
Just a couple of guesses from me. I am sure they will consult the surfing community on best spots during the months planned

Any WSL surfing event has a window of a fortnight, but if conditions are right they would be able to run through the mens, womens and mixed comps in 2 days. Unlikely that it would be flat for the whole period, although July/August is probably one of the riskier times of the year given the lack of trade winds.

But I'd imagine they would have contingencies like with any event. I'd be surprised if the existing wave pool at Yeppoon (which should be open to the public in the next year) doesn't form some part of that, but it may be as simple as having alternate locations in other states. Swell/weather forecasts, while not perfect, have come a long way in recent times and in another 11 years should be even better. It should be easy to move athletes around with a few days notice.

Duranbah is probably the most reliable wave in terms of size and that time of year is more likely to have offshore conditions. I wonder if the fact it's technically in NSW would factor into it. I would doubt it, but the setup of Snapper/Kirra/Duranbah is a pretty killer combo.

Personally while I think the facility at Yeppoon is pretty impressive, I do like the random nature of natural waves is preferable. Mind you, there's is something to be said about the more predictable nature of wave pools will reward the best surfers in a one-off event.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Any WSL surfing event has a window of a fortnight, but if conditions are right they would be able to run through the mens, womens and mixed comps in 2 days. Unlikely that it would be flat for the whole period, although July/August is probably one of the riskier times of the year given the lack of trade winds.

But I'd imagine they would have contingencies like with any event. I'd be surprised if the existing wave pool at Yeppoon (which should be open to the public in the next year) doesn't form some part of that, but it may be as simple as having alternate locations in other states. Swell/weather forecasts, while not perfect, have come a long way in recent times and in another 11 years should be even better. It should be easy to move athletes around with a few days notice.

Duranbah is probably the most reliable wave in terms of size and that time of year is more likely to have offshore conditions. I wonder if the fact it's technically in NSW would factor into it. I would doubt it, but the setup of Snapper/Kirra/Duranbah is a pretty killer combo.

Personally while I think the facility at Yeppoon is pretty impressive, I do like the random nature of natural waves is preferable. Mind you, there's is something to be said about the more predictable nature of wave pools will reward the best surfers in a one-off event.

Duranbah being in NSW won't be an issue
Some Olympic events are planned to be played in Sydney and Melbourne

Crimso

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2002
Maleny
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
A wave pool costs money so won't be considered
If surfing happens better to promote our beaches to the world even if not great surf at the time
I imagine surfing could take place anytime a few days before opening date and up to the closing ceremony.
Does not require an advertised start time like other events
I am not a surfer but over the last 15 odd years Duranbah appears most regularly on Brisbane news and weather reports with reasonable/good surf year round
Snapper Rocks nearby so between the two they should get something reasonable
Just a couple of guesses from me. I am sure they will consult the surfing community on best spots during the months planned
I’m a “retired” surfer, almost 70 and the eyes don’t work too well for me to be able to surf anymore and I agree with all your points. Another way around no wave pool would be to run heats simultaneously at different locations, all done early morning before the wind gets into it.
I’d love to see a wave pool built in Brisbane though and this would be a great excuse for one, whether private or government subsidised.

So the Summer Olympics... are gonna be held in winter...

Righto.
Rio beat us to being the first. They got to complete the set given the Summer Olympics were in spring in Sydney, and autumn in Seoul, Tokyo and Mexico City.

Royboydeluxe

Royboydeluxe
Feb 6, 2022
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, Coburg Lions
I’m hearing a reliable rumour that Melbourne will receive a bunch of games from this (great if you’re a Fitzroy fan) and the club will use it as a second home base while Springy is used. As for any games in QLD, Metricon is all which comes to mind.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I’m hearing a reliable rumour that Melbourne will receive a bunch of games from this (great if you’re a Fitzroy fan) and the club will use it as a second home base while Springy is used. As for any games in QLD, Metricon is all which comes to mind.
Welcome to the forum Mr Anson.

jokes

Mar 12, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane
When you say "Melbourne will receive a bunch of games", are these home games or away games?

Not sure if this is new info on the Gabba station as part of Olympics funding:

Gabba transport deal 'real centrepiece of this deal'​

There will be $450 million put towards the Gabba Brisbane Metro Station ahead of the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.(Suppled: Cross River Rail Delivery Authority)
Ahead of the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games, federal Communications and Urban Infrastructure Minister Paul Fletcher said the Woolloongabba metro station was the "real centrepiece of this deal".

"We need to prepare for the growth that south-east Queensland is experiencing ... also the Olympics — while this is not the Olympics deal between governments, it's an important pre-cursor and demonstration of our collected capability to agreed priorities," he said.

Deputy Premier Steven Miles said it would become a major new transport hub.

"The new Gabba Station is much more than a new station, it's a major new transport interchange linking our flagship cross-river rail, heavy rail upgrades with the Brisbane City Council's flagship Metro project."
"People will be able to change from Metro to trains here, access our new train station and of course get to and from the fantastic Olympics venue, the Gabba that will be rebuilt."

The deputy premier says the new Gabba Station will be a major new transport interchange.(Supplied: Brisbane City Council)
More than $100 million will go towards progressing the region towards a circular economy by developing a region-wide approach to managing waste.

Telecommunications networks will also receive a boost of $70 million to upgrade infrastructure and digital connectivity.

The South East Queensland Liveability Fund will receive a $285 million boost to assist in the delivery of council projects with social and economic priority.

Federal funding approved
Approved or election commitment?

If the latter it'll probably be matched but no guarantee, and delivery gets delayed until they get around to signing off on stuff after the election.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Federal funding approved. Likely to start after the next Ashes test - so maybe Jan 2026 or Sept 2026.
Have heard that Stanley and Vulture st will become underground tunnels for the new stadium. East Brisbane school is also going to be taken and it won’t be demolished because there are heritage listed buildings but the school will no longer be there.

Back