Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I know it's early days but the Tasmania JackJumpers are officially undefeated in the NBL. It was a full house (4738) at the MyState Arena in Hobart last night and the JackJumpers were able to claim an 83-74 OT victory over the Brisbane Bullets in their NBL debut. Next up for the JackJumpers is another home game in Hobart against the Adelaide 36ers, who lost to Perth Wildcats last night. It's entirely possible Tasmania will start the NBL season 2-0.

The more this team wins, the more pressure will be heaped on the AFL to give them a licence. You can say what you like about the NBL being second rate but the sport of basketball is extremely popular amongst the younger generation these days and providing a local JackJumpers pathway into the NBA is far more appealing than whatever North Melbourne is doing in Tassie these days.

It's time to give Tasmania an AFL team.

A crowd of 4K is not exactly setting the world on fire.

Also, nba is popular with kids, not basketball. It’s like lots of Australians claiming they support an epl team but none care about its 3rd rate cousin the a league because to follow that is uncool.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Also, nba is popular with kids, not basketball. It’s like lots of Australians claiming they support an epl team but none care about its 3rd rate cousin the a league because to follow that is uncool.
It's nearly 5000 and that is a sell out so would of highly likely got more with more capacity for basketball.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not sure if you've been following Aussie hoops lately but the NBL has become a legitimate pathway into the NBA in recent years. LaMelo Ball (pick 3) and Josh Giddey (pick 6) both went through the NBL's Next Star program over the last two years and were both drafted into the NBA with top 10 picks. Retired NBA players are also starting to return to the NBL as well with Bogut playing for Sydney a few years ago and Dellavedova playing for Melbourne right now.

If an Aussie kid has a dream of playing in the NBA then it's in his best interests to pursue the NBL Next Stars pathway these days.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure if you've been following Aussie hoops lately but the NBL has become a legitimate pathway into the NBA in recent years. LaMelo Ball (pick 3) and Josh Giddey (pick 6) both went through the NBL's Next Star program over the last two years and were both drafted into the NBA with top 10 picks. Retired NBA players are also starting to return to the NBL as well with Bogut playing for Sydney a few years ago and Dellavedova playing for Melbourne right now.

If an Aussie kid has a dream of playing in the NBA then it's in his best interests to pursue the NBL Next Stars pathway these days.

How is that relevant to my post? NBL is still not popular with kids, still gets tiny crowds and ratings.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
How is that relevant to my post? NBL is still not popular with kids, still gets tiny crowds and ratings.
It's relevant because kids in Tasmania who dream of playing in the NBA one day can see the route to the top league through the NBL/JackJumpers pathway and that means less Tassie kids will pursue footy careers. The AFL needs a full time presence in Tasmania to counteract this.

You can say what you like about the NBL being second rate but the sport of basketball is extremely popular amongst the younger generation these days and providing a local JackJumpers pathway into the NBA is far more appealing than whatever North Melbourne is doing in Tassie these days.

It's time to give Tasmania an AFL team.

Mate I'd worry about what Gold Coast is doing on the Gold Coast if I were you.

Cheers for Hugh Greenwood.

I forgot people weren't allowed to post on other topics when their team isn't doing well.

I forgot people weren't allowed to post on other topics when their team isn't doing well.

No, this is very relevant.

Tassie should get their own team, 19th licence.

If that doesn't work, Gold Coast should be move there.

It is one or two more season of crapness of being a failed experiment.

If you're going to bag other teams, make sure you're not in a glass house when you do it.

I note they didn't include Hawthorn is their little snipe.

AstroboyUK

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2008
London / Delhi
AFL Club
Richmond

If you're going to bag other teams, make sure you're not in a glass house when you do it.

GC are not going anywhere. They have been a great investment for the AFL and the AFL industry. Your hot-take on that is very old and tired, and endlessly rebutted.
North are no longer in Debt so now there is no leverage to get them down to tassie either; so ultimately we both agree: Stand alone team it is.

Last edited:
GC are not going anywhere. They have been a great investment for the AFL and the AFL industry. Your hot-take on that is very old and tired, and endlessly rebutted.
North are no longer in Debt so now there is no leverage to get them down to tassie; so stand alone team it is.

They were a greater feeder club for the Tiges flag era.

Right now they haven't done anything else.

Agree they won't be going anywhere though.

Nov 18, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Richmond
Looking at the fixture next year for AFL in Tas and it is pathetic only Geelong is the only decent side with some following in Tas. just the same crap games every year.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Looking at the fixture next year for AFL in Tas and it is pathetic only Geelong is the only decent side with some following in Tas. just the same crap games every year.
Sydney has a big supporter base in Tasmania and It's pretty big for North to host the Tassie derby in Hobart for the first time after playing in Launceston nine times in the past,it will be interesting to see how many Hawks supporters Hobart has.

Nov 18, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Richmond
What do you expect? It's a tiny state that gets tiny crowds.
We get tiny crowds cause we get tiny games. We’re not f**king nsw, qld or nz we know what footy is and we mostly support Melbourne teams and until we get our own team the best we’ll get is the rotation of a small Melbourne team (bulldogs, St Kilda) mixed with

Sydney has a big supporter base in Tasmania and It's pretty big for North to host the Tassie derby in Hobart for the first time after playing in Launceston nine times in the past,it will be interesting to see how many Hawks supporters Hobart has.
The hawks vs north game would mean something if either have a s**t about the state. Why would hawks supporters drive down to watch north melbourne in the freezing Bellerive stadium in July let alone pay for the privilege as it most likely won’t be covered by their membership. This whilst being the likely two bottom sides for the year. And on the swans yes they have a half decent support for Tasie but so do the bulldogs and both played here last year and two years before that. It’s just the same crap every year.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We get tiny crowds cause we get tiny games. We’re not f**king nsw, qld or nz we know what footy is and we mostly support Melbourne teams and until we get our own team the best we’ll get is the rotation of a small Melbourne team (bulldogs, St Kilda) mixed with

The hawks vs north game would mean something if either have a sh*t about the state. Why would hawks supporters drive down to watch north melbourne in the freezing Bellerive stadium in July let alone pay for the privilege as it most likely won’t be covered by their membership. This whilst being the likely two bottom sides for the year. And on the swans yes they have a half decent support for Tasie but so do the bulldogs and both played here last year and two years before that. It’s just the same crap every year.
I think it's a reasonable set of games compared to last season,at least we won't be hosting Gold Coast and Gws again which have no supporters in Tasmania.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

. Very ill informed comment junior football is absolutely dying in Tasmania basketball is going crazy in schools at the moment if the afl continue to do nothing it will start to affect support for afl football in not to distant future

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Didn't even mention anything about North Melbourne being moved to Tasmania but you've decided to share an opinion that the Suns should be moved there, despite the AFL CEO categorically ruling this out just a few months ago. You also brought up Hawthorn which has nothing to do with North's NGA academy and the JackJumpers Next Stars pathway into the NBA. Very strange posting...

My opinion is that football will lose athletes to basketball because the JackJumpers now exist which creates a realistic pathway into the NBA through their successful Next Stars program. It creates a sense of urgency for the AFL to grant Tasmania a licence. We've seen this in the past when there were no professional sports teams on the Gold Coast until 2007 when the NRL expanded into the GC and just three years later the AFL approved the GC17 team entry into the league. Competition in the local marketplace is the best way force an issue and the JackJumpers may just be the domino that needed to fall for Tassie to gets its own AFL team.

My opinion is that football will lose athletes to basketball because the JackJumpers now exist which creates a realistic pathway into the NBA through their successful Next Stars program. It creates a sense of urgency for the AFL to grant Tasmania a licence. We've seen this in the past when there were no professional sports teams on the Gold Coast until 2007 when the NRL expanded into the GC and just three years later the AFL approved the GC17 team entry into the league. Competition in the local marketplace is the best way force an issue and the JackJumpers may just be the domino that needed to fall for Tassie to gets its own AFL team.
The AFL's response to T20 franchise cricket taking off: "meh, Hurricanes shmurricanes"

The AFL's response to the JackJumpers' 10k TV viewers: "omg we must do something to stop this juggernaut!"

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Some of us are older. We maybe don't have so much time. ;)

Remember, footy isn't a matter of life or death. its far more important than that!!!

Anyway, pointless worrying when we have no control over it.

Getting a fair go by the AFL administration is always problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back