Not open for further replies.

ShireSwan

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Horrible new for the bloke

West Coast defender Brad Sheppard has announced his immediate retirement, as he continues to deal with concussion symptoms.
He is the second Eagle this year to call time on his AFL career because of concussion, with Daniel Venables detailing how the brain injury has impacted on his everyday life.

Sheppard made his decision after receiving medical advice and with his long-term health in mind.
There's going to have to be a rule that if you knee someone in the back of the head straight on in the marking contest it's a free against. Possibly with a Video Assistant Referee calling it.
Nobody wants that, but I don't see another way.
Got to learn to turn your knee to the side and use the shin as the platform I think.

ShireSwan

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
I still can't figure out why the ground looked like we'd had 2 inches of rain the day before yet we'd had none. The wet conditions certainly did not suit us.
The Geelong game? The SCG had sprinklers on it the afternoon of the game. Obviously too much. Whether we asked for that or not I have no idea.

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
The Geelong game? The SCG had sprinklers on it the afternoon of the game. Obviously too much. Whether we asked for that or not I have no idea.
AFL Operations Manager or Game Manager directed the watering after a request by Geelong. Another Vic-centric decision.
cdbdacd7b269baf578b079c091072a17.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
AFL Operations Manager or Game Manager directed the watering after a request by Geelong. Another Vic-centric decision.
cdbdacd7b269baf578b079c091072a17.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
There's a huge difference from softening the surface & turning it into a slogfest. I wonder if when we next play at Geelong we can put in a request for the ground conditions to suit us. What an absolute wank.

Gimmeafree

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
No other team, no other sport
There's a huge difference from softening the surface & turning it into a slogfest. I wonder if when we next play at Geelong we can put in a request for the ground conditions to suit us. What an absolute wank.
I shared this in a previous post, I know we were forced to do this as told to me by one of the groundsmen, they had a gag put on them At the time. 16 years later it still annoys me and why on earth would we willingly create a heavy track for noted mudlarks. Demetriou had it in for us, look at the frees punishment we received for ‘winning ugly’.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
At Geelong’s GMHBA Stadium, the wings at the ground will be brought in by half a metre each, so a 5.5 metres between the boundary line and the fence ( after Jack Ziebell ran into LED signage )

AFL BOUNDARY DIMENSIONS
Ground - length - width
UTAS Stadium - 175m - 145m
TIO Stadium - 175m - 135m
GMHBA Stadium - 170m - 116m
TIO Traeger Park - 168m - 132m
Adelaide Oval - 167m - 123m
Cazaly’s Stadium - 165m - 135m
Optus Stadium - 165m - 130m
Spotless Stadium - 164m - 128m
UNSW Canberra Oval - 162.5m - 138m
MCG - 161m - 138m
Jiangwan Stadium - 160m - 136m
Etihad Stadium - 160m - 129m
Mars Stadium - 160m - 129m
Blundstone Arena - 160m - 124m
Metricon Stadium - 158m - 134m
Gabba - 156m - 138m
SCG - 155m - 136m

kelpie_X

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Speaking of 2005, had to revisit this.
"OH NO ! It's grand larceny! ON NO! It's highway robbery! It's Ronnie Biggs. It's Ned Kelly. It's the greatest thieving effort you will ever see!"

Still brings a tear to my eye. The only ending to a sporting fixture worldwide that tops Watford Vs Leicester 2013 for drama and a joyous ending IMO.

Never fails to give me goose bumps watching that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

Hird on the GWS/AFL payroll to help inject some real substance & experience into the list to help them take the next step of winning a flag.
Not a mention in that article as to WHY he hasn't held a coaching role since 2015 but just HAS to talk up his highlights and achievements.
Just gotta love the AFL and its double standards.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
You currently living there mate? how is it in general
YES I am. We have a footy team, the Lao Elephants, who play in the Asian league. Japan Goanas, Macao Lightning, Viet Swans, Thai Tigers, Cambodian Eagles, Hong Kong Dragons, Indonesian Garudas, Jakarta Bintangs, Malaysian Warriors, Myanmar Fighting utensils (probably banned next year), Singapore Wombats, Guangshou Scorpions, Beijing Bombers, Shanghai Tigers and AFL Japan (there is quite a large comp there).

Living here is beautiful, but very cold for the last month. Very unusual weather. I came here to live thinking I would get my medical done in either Thailand or Viet but COVID ****ed that and have had to use the very questionable Lao Medical services. So that has been a number (my hernia played up and he'd to be removed, a frightening experience here lol).

Laos is a very beautiful country and I live 1 small block from the Mekong and a small island in the river, Don Xing Xou so it is a very good place to live. But next year I will make a Sea Change from this Tree bound land locked country to Viet and the beaches of Nha Trang. I am old so need medical services, like regular health checks. Not so good in Laos. I am glad COVID IS SETTLING. OMICRON is not looking that bad, highly infectious but not debilitating, so things will open up.

Laos has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. It is a very mountainous country. Huge valley's dissect massive mountains about 3,000 metres high. I watch Lao people, both boys and girls stand on the edge with their toes clutching the overhang of clefts 3,000 from the next Terra firma and hold my breath.

The major problems here are plastic pollution and burn offs. Lao has only been open to Westerners for 20 years but in that time we have managed to induce the locals to use massive amounts of plastic. This has only occurred in the last 5-10 years. They don't understand how damaging it is as many folk here do not get a proper education past primary level. The govt is now trying to use campaigns to induce recycling but it is a long road to travel.

The Sino-Lao railroad, a Belt & Road, has started Passenger services this week for travel within Laos. But as from the end of the month Chinese tourists will start to arrive. The Belt & Road have not been the only initiatives in the Lao/Sino partnership. Hospitals, govt buildings, community centres, apartment blocks (some 50-100 huge buildings), Chinese, Economic zone in the capital (this is a non Lao zone now) are all in various states of development. A luxury 400 room hotel as well.

This to me stinks of Chinese takeover not Chinese partnership. I think the sensible thing for Westerners to do would be to leave within 12 months. I am doing just that. Viet has always been my rescue card. A destination with strong ties to Aus. What's more it is also very beautiful.

So the situation here is very tenuous at this time. Westerners are biding their time until the first Chinese tourists arrive. Then opening of the country. We ha e just had 12 months of total lockdown. Alcohol banned in restaurants as lockdown eased. Not much fun. We can buy take away but only 5 persons can share together. I don't know how that works because Lao famines are extended families of between 10 & 20 persons, sometimes more.

The Thai/Lao border opens on 24 December, I wonder why lol? That means if you live in the capital, Vientiane, you can now go to the border town of Nong Khai on the Thai side. Sounds good but...The Lao govthave yet to announce details of returning. In other words people who go might have to just kerp going to BKK, Phuket, Chiang Mai or Pattaya. Not sure yet but they had better announce soon. I think the whole country will open up on 24.

So the last 2.5 years have been a very interesting time for me. All I want is for COVID to * off to tell the truth. I want to have a beer, in a bar or restaurant, with my mates and share the love of Laos, with the Lao people, who are just divine.

Oh! I forgot, due to international borders being closed the Elephants did not play for 2 years. Hopefully this year

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Oil money FC - anyone can win a league if you just buy all the best players in the world with stolen money.
That's not sport. It's corruption, thievery and immoral.

ha ... yes ... i was merely arguing from the point of view of the drama/theatre of sport

morally, a lot of the epl is indefensible

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
YES I am. We have a footy team, the Lao Elephants, who play in the Asian league. Japan Goanas, Macao Lightning, Viet Swans, Thai Tigers, Cambodian Eagles, Hong Kong Dragons, Indonesian Garudas, Jakarta Bintangs, Malaysian Warriors, Myanmar Fighting utensils (probably banned next year), Singapore Wombats, Guangshou Scorpions, Beijing Bombers, Shanghai Tigers and AFL Japan (there is quite a large comp there).

Living here is beautiful, but very cold for the last month. Very unusual weather. I came here to live thinking I would get my medical done in either Thailand or Viet but COVID f’ed that and have had to use the very questionable Lao Medical services. So that has been a number (my hernia played up and he'd to be removed, a frightening experience here lol).

Laos is a very beautiful country and I live 1 small block from the Mekong and a small island in the river, Don Xing Xou so it is a very good place to live. But next year I will make a Sea Change from this Tree bound land locked country to Viet and the beaches of Nha Trang. I am old so need medical services, like regular health checks. Not so good in Laos. I am glad COVID IS SETTLING. OMICRON is not looking that bad, highly infectious but not debilitating, so things will open up.

Laos has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. It is a very mountainous country. Huge valley's dissect massive mountains about 3,000 metres high. I watch Lao people, both boys and girls stand on the edge with their toes clutching the overhang of clefts 3,000 from the next Terra firma and hold my breath.

The major problems here are plastic pollution and burn offs. Lao has only been open to Westerners for 20 years but in that time we have managed to induce the locals to use massive amounts of plastic. This has only occurred in the last 5-10 years. They don't understand how damaging it is as many folk here do not get a proper education past primary level. The govt is now trying to use campaigns to induce recycling but it is a long road to travel.

The Sino-Lao railroad, a Belt & Road, has started Passenger services this week for travel within Laos. But as from the end of the month Chinese tourists will start to arrive. The Belt & Road have not been the only initiatives in the Lao/Sino partnership. Hospitals, govt buildings, community centres, apartment blocks (some 50-100 huge buildings), Chinese, Economic zone in the capital (this is a non Lao zone now) are all in various states of development. A luxury 400 room hotel as well.

This to me stinks of Chinese takeover not Chinese partnership. I think the sensible thing for Westerners to do would be to leave within 12 months. I am doing just that. Viet has always been my rescue card. A destination with strong ties to Aus. What's more it is also very beautiful.

So the situation here is very tenuous at this time. Westerners are biding their time until the first Chinese tourists arrive. Then opening of the country. We ha e just had 12 months of total lockdown. Alcohol banned in restaurants as lockdown eased. Not much fun. We can buy take away but only 5 persons can share together. I don't know how that works because Lao famines are extended families of between 10 & 20 persons, sometimes more.

The Thai/Lao border opens on 24 December, I wonder why lol? That means if you live in the capital, Vientiane, you can now go to the border town of Nong Khai on the Thai side. Sounds good but...The Lao govthave yet to announce details of returning. In other words people who go might have to just kerp going to BKK, Phuket, Chiang Mai or Pattaya. Not sure yet but they had better announce soon. I think the whole country will open up on 24.

So the last 2.5 years have been a very interesting time for me. All I want is for COVID to fu** off to tell the truth. I want to have a beer, in a bar or restaurant, with my mates and share the love of Laos, with the Lao people, who are just divine.

Oh! I forgot, due to international borders being closed the Elephants did not play for 2 years. Hopefully this year

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Visited Luang Prabang and district about 10 years ago. Absolutely wonderful, delightful people, but you could see the future. Around the same period we visited Siem Reap twice in 6 years (2005, 2011) and were staggered by the change.
Hope your relocation works out well. Viet is lovely too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back