Prediction Round 1 2022 Team

It would definitely be an unexpected call seeing him at the start of the season and something I dont think will happen. But I don't think end of season VFL form was as poor as it has been presented at times. He got a lot better throughout the season and started to take the game on more rather than looking lost. He's put a good amount of size on now so is something you would want pushing for selection in the 2nd half of the season.

I'm not as big on Battle being a defender as most others. I think he is a defensive downgrade on the Howard, Wilkie, Highmore trio while also not adding any extra height to that combination. He'd be a back-up option for me.

I remember going to watch the intraclub which must have been preseason 2018 or 2019. Marshall was just breaking out and out of nowhere looked like the best big man on the ground but second best was Battle as a KPB playing reasonably high up. He looked like a Wakelin and came out to meet balls that were loose and close checking his man which he did well. Can't remember who he played on but he was actually looking like a really high potential KPB. His best year was as a KPB which was probably before we grabbed Dougal. We do have quality double ups in a lot of positions that will hold players out of spots, there are some good players that will be out of the side that's for sure.

I'm a bit concerned about how Gresh and Paton will come back after those serious injuries- they are injuries that can take an edge off pace, and Gresh is not the quickest player out there.

Someone told me Paton was going very well. It was in a PM so won't disclose who it was that told me but I think it sounds like Webster might be in trouble if he is. Gresham I hope plays predominantly forward with some on-ball time to protect his body.

Someone told me Paton was going very well. It was in a PM so won't disclose who it was that told me but I think it sounds like Webster might be in trouble if he is. Gresham I hope plays predominantly forward with some on-ball time to protect his body.
Thank god for the old PM , the best track man was Stew66 and he has gone missing

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think it's going to be really tough for Leo to break back in with a new group of draftees, Paton back and competition for spots. Bytel should get opportunity because the inside mid roles aren't exactly stacked with options. You'd think that getting rid of Dunstan was to open a door for him so he really needs to repay the faith and have a big year. Byrnes, DMac types are going to have to hold their spots with Billings and Gresham both potentially playing that HF or HB/wing role that the others play as they try to stick couple of new kids in that forward pocket role to ease them in.

Hopefully the injuries stay at bay and we have real competition for spots and no one gifted games that don't deserve it. We haven't had much youth lead competition in recent years so will be good to see some raw talent injected in for a change.
Whilst it is tough for Leo to break in he really adds something to us. Some of his kicking last year was phenomenal. The one in the backline against I think Geelong/Port the fake against the lions. I’m really high on him. It’s like having another Sincs. The more class and quality ball use the better.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think there were a few good ones just at the right time of year though. His best spot looks like on the wing or outside mid, not sure that he walks into one of those spots.
Ultimately I think his best spot will be as an inside mid, but clearly won’t start there. Will be interesting to see what possie he plays early at Sandy.

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ultimately I think his best spot will be as an inside mid, but clearly won’t start there. Will be interesting to see what possie he plays early at Sandy.
Yeah the recruiters seem to see him as a future inside mid, having played on the wing and forward due to lack of opportunity

Yabadoo22

All Australian
Nov 4, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
B: Webster Howard highmore
Hb: coffield Wilkie Sinclair
C: Byrnes crouch hill
Hf: billings membrey Higgins
F: Marshall king Gresham
Foll: ryder Steele Jones
Int: clark Ross sharman butler

Jade Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jeez things have must changed - I got the feeling from the comments on here in the lead up to the draft that he would automatically replace Steele.

190/1 cm, fast, good mark, physically ready to play.

Of the draft picks he's the most likely to play round 1 and I don't know about anyone else but I love seeing a newbie in the first round.
Hmm let’s see …. Preseason hype on Bigfoot y. Yep nah will wait and see.

I think they'd still have to give a massive leap of faith to put him in over Battle and Joyce. I didn't watch heaps of Sandy but the few games I did watch he was unnoticeable at best. He looked a long way behind Clavarino.
I watched a few of his Sandy games last year he is miles off.
He was getting pulled from 1/4 and 3/4 quarter huddles for 1 on 1 instructions , he is a long term project

Sharman, King and Byrnes in

Rest can fight for spots

giphy (61).gif

I sort of wonder if Rattan wants to use a taller player on the wing , Wood was doing well there, and when injured Battle was trialled there. Sharman may also be suitable for that role.
If he does it kind of leave's Hill in a bit of limbo, his best spot is something that a guy we originally recruited as a rookie does better.

Minga

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
I sort of wonder if Rattan wants to use a taller player on the wing , Wood was doing well there, and when injured Battle was trialled there. Sharman may also be suitable for that role.
If he does it kind of leave's Hill in a bit of limbo, his best spot is something that a guy we originally recruited as a rookie does better.

When the club had its members Q+A halfway through last season when everything was falling to pieces, someone asked who Ratten’s favourite player growing up was (I think it was at this Q+A but not entirely sure).

I can’t remember who he said it was, it was well before my time, but IIRC, Ratt’s favourite player growing up was … a tall winger.

So yes, I think Ratts might have thing-er for a tall wing-er. We’ll see how that goes though, NVM might be the compromise given he’s a natural winger and also 188cm tall.

When the club had its members Q+A halfway through last season when everything was falling to pieces, someone asked who Ratten’s favourite player growing up was (I think it was at this Q+A but not entirely sure).

I can’t remember who he said it was, it was well before my time, but IIRC, Ratt’s favourite player growing up was … a tall winger.

So yes, I think Ratts might have thing-er for a tall wing-er. We’ll see how that goes though, NVM might be the compromise given he’s a natural winger and also 188cm tall.

I think he wants another Kouta type who can go through the middle and forward.

I think it might be something to do with getting the ball out of the backline. Tall link up players who can mark.

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
If I see Sharman on a wing I’ll be fuming

AirWinmar

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
A Geelong game I think in 2020 Blicavs and Menegola monstered Billings and Hill on the wings. A tall winger can definitely have a great advantage, but they need to be able to play the position well and the structure needs to be used to take advantage eg: using Battle if we kick long down the line to a pack he is unlikely to mark it, when the ball hits the ground his agility gets exploited

Where else are you going to fit him if we end up with two Kings, Marshall and Membrey?

HF: Sharman - B. King - Higgins
FF: Membrey - M. King - Butler
R: Marshall

First 15 mins of the qtr Sharman gets up the ground and catches teams coming the other way. Think Lynch at Adelaide or Bayley Fritsch at Melbourne. With Sharman up the field we have a little more space for mid/forwards like Gresh, Billings and Higgins to work through and get dangerous.

One King deep as the leading target from FF. The other plays true CHF, hitting up the opposite wing to Sharman. Swap as needed based on match ups, form and fitness.

Membrey stays 30m from goal as the 'long bomb' target. He's an older body and prefers the vertical jump at the ball rather than out on the lead. He then switches with Sharman late in the qtr so that he can push into defence for support during red time and Sharman can lead across the arc to provide the 'fat side' option as the ball moves form defence into attack.

Marshall plays full time ruck, chopping out the backline and sneaking forward for mismatches when we have momentum. Howard and the King boys can chop out at either end for ball ups and thrown ins.

It'll work.

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
A Geelong game I think in 2020 Blicavs and Menegola monstered Billings and Hill on the wings. A tall winger can definitely have a great advantage, but they need to be able to play the position well and the structure needs to be used to take advantage eg: using Battle if we kick long down the line to a pack he is unlikely to mark it, when the ball hits the ground his agility gets exploited
That’s kind of why when Dmac came in he had such an impact even with low disposals. Firstly he’s very defensive minded and he’s a marking threat with great toughness. He also started to back himself tucking the ball under. Obviously I’m a massive of Dmac I just think he brought a noticeable addition to the team.

That’s kind of why when Dmac came in he had such an impact even with low disposals. Firstly he’s very defensive minded and he’s a marking threat with great toughness. He also started to back himself tucking the ball under. Obviously I’m a massive of Dmac I just think he brought a noticeable addition to the team.

He has all the right attributes, another one who can't get the ball enough.
He's only had 20 disposals 5 times in his career, but three of those were 2021.

Back