Fixture Season 2022 - Full AFL Fixture in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Ummm actually when the afl sets the fixture and favours certain clubs over others, literally limiting the amount of money a club can make, said club deserves compensation.

I’m not talking about a small discrepancy.

I’m talking about an abyss of difference in commercial fixturing.
After winning two games in 2018 Champion data ranked our 2019 draw as the 11th hardest (8th easiest). Richmond conversely finished 1st and had the 13th hardest (or 6th easiest). Really something like that should never happen if the draw is indeed "fair".

I wonder how many of Carlton's 90 have come in the last few years.
2022 - 0 (in first 9 rounds)
2021 - 1 (1W 0L)
2020 - 2 (1W 1L)
2019 - 0
2018 - 4 (0W 4L)
2017 - 1 (0W 1L)
2016 - 0
2015 - 6 (0W 6L)
2014 - 6 (1W 5L)
2013 - 5 (1W 4L)

Based on this (source - AFL website) we have had 8 Friday night games since the end of 2015. 2018 was a clear outlier where we had 4. In the last two years we have had 3 (2W 1L). I personally would prefer less Friday games (commentary is almost unbearable) but the idea that Carlton have had a lot recently is a myth. For comparison teams like Essendon in the same period that Carlton has had 8 have had 21 Friday night games.

Last edited:

2021 - 1 (1W 0L)
2020 - 2 (1W 1L)
2019 - 0
2018 - 4 (0W 4L)
2017 - 1 (0W 1L)
2016 - 0
2015 - 6 (0W 6L)
2014 - 6 (1W 5L)
2013 - 5 (1W 4L)

Based on this (source - AFL website) we have had 8 Friday night games since the end of 2015. 2018 was a clear outlier where we had 4. In the last two years we have had 3 (2W 1L). I personally would prefer less Friday games (commentary is almost unbearable) but the idea that Carlton have had a lot recently is a myth. For comparison teams like Essendon in the same period that Carlton has had 8 have had 21 Friday night games.
Those numbers don't seem right but it is what it is I guess.

I also hate Friday night games because you cop the umpires surprise rule of the week which is all but forgotten by Sunday

Those numbers don't seem right but it is what it is I guess.

I also hate Friday night games because you cop the umpires surprise rule of the week which is all but forgotten by Sunday
I have gone back manually and done it so of course I might be a little off so happy to be corrected.

And 100% with the umpiring but the interpretations change hourly so what's the difference really.

Personally, the commentary kills me - BT and Bruce as a combo is crazy bad. BT with his inability to know players' names and his excessive use of irrelevant comments to fill silence combined with Bruce's constant rhetorical questions just makes it unbearable

Ummmmm no you don't. Suck it up and stop crying for compo.

Oh and win more games of footy.

So you don’t believe in the concept of restraint of trade? I mean it’s a pretty simple concept.

Would you be fine with Essendon playing insterstate teams every home game at 4:40 on a Sunday? Would that make you less money than annual double ups against Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton.

After winning two games in 2018 Champion data ranked our 2019 draw as the 11th hardest (8th easiest). Richmond conversely finished 1st and had the 13th hardest (or 6th easiest). Really something like that should never happen if the draw is indeed "fair".

I’m not referring to hardness of draw.

I’m referring to the commercial fairness (or complete lack there of)

Good to see the Tassie derby in Hobart for the first time after always playing it in Launceston, it will interesting to see how many Hawks fans are in Hobart.

Oh my apologies. I'll rephrase.

But you're debt free? Probably time to stop begging for compensation.

A supporter of a team who gets compensated with financially lucrative fixtures every year for 3 decades having a go at a club for demanding compensation for a financially disastrous fixture, oh the irony.

Ummm actually when the afl sets the fixture and favours certain clubs over others, literally limiting the amount of money a club can make, said club deserves compensation.

I’m not talking about a small discrepancy.

I’m talking about an abyss of difference in commercial fixturing.

And it's a compounding factor over 30 years now. North pioneered Friday Night Footy you'd think the AFL would at least acknowledge this with a couple of bones thrown their way. Heck, have a home game against the Pies each year on a Friday Night celebrating the first FNF game in 1985.

2021 - 1 (1W 0L)
2020 - 2 (1W 1L)
2019 - 0
2018 - 4 (0W 4L)
2017 - 1 (0W 1L)
2016 - 0
2015 - 6 (0W 6L)
2014 - 6 (1W 5L)
2013 - 5 (1W 4L)

What about Thursday night games too? In fact it really should include Saturday night games or at least saturday night games covered on FTA.

Jesus Christ. Give it a rest. Nobody cares. Go and sook about it on the North board.

North supporters: WE'RE DEBT FREE NO POKIES BEST YOUTH IN THE COMP

Also North supporters: IT'S NOT FAIR RESTRAINT OF TRADE WORST FIXTURE IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL THE AFL SHOULD GIVE US A MILLION DOLLARS WAAAAAAAA

I care, and I agree with him. It's an AFL issue not a North issue. It's not even just a Vic issue, look at Port/Crows they finally get a showdown in prime time on FNF and it will be 2nd fiddle to the Demons/Bombers game.

I care, and I agree with him. It's an AFL issue not a North issue. It's not even just a Vic issue, look at Port/Crows they finally get a showdown in prime time on FNF and it will be 2nd fiddle to the Demons/Bombers game.
Agree about smaller Vic clubs not getting enough FTA games

Non Vic is an interesting one though. They get i think 19 live on FTA in their own state no matter what. The Vic clubs only get their games on FTA when they are in the national spots. So if the Friday night showdown was the only game it takes away 2 Vic teams from being on FTA at all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Non Vic is an interesting one though. They get i think 19 live on FTA in their own state no matter what. The Vic clubs only get their games on FTA when they are in the national spots. So if the Friday night showdown was the only game it takes away 2 Vic teams from being on FTA at all

FTA on a supplementary channel.

What about Thursday night games too? In fact it really should include Saturday night games or at least saturday night games covered on FTA.
Yeh I didn't have the motivation to do all that but in terms of Thursday's we don't normally get more than 1-2 every year. I could be wrong but we also don't get many Sat night games. Get a lot of Sat and Sunday afternoons.

Agree about smaller Vic clubs not getting enough FTA games

That's true although I'd wager sponsors would prefer nationwide FTA coverage than just into their local market

So you don’t believe in the concept of restraint of trade? I mean it’s a pretty simple concept.

Would you be fine with Essendon playing insterstate teams every home game at 4:40 on a Sunday? Would that make you less money than annual double ups against Collingwood, Richmond and Carlton.
North have a terrible commercial fixture (for example only hosting Richmond of the big 4), but I don't think time or opponent matters as much to Essendon as it does to North.

For Essendon, hosting Bulldogs/North/St Kilda/Hawthorn at Marvel is no different to hosting the bigger interstate teams like Sydney, West Coast and Brisbane because both would be close to sellouts.

When it comes to our double ups, we only really play Collingwood twice frequently. We hadn't played Richmond twice in 4 of the last 5 season. We haven't played Carlton twice since 2017 and don't play them twice again next year. Next year, our double ups are 3 interstate teams (Port, Brisbane, Sydney) and two Victorian teams (Richmond and Collingwood).

While that'll be a decent commercial fixture for Essendon, the same fixture wouldn't be that great for North because of their finishing position and supporter base.

2021 - 1 (1W 0L)
2020 - 2 (1W 1L)
2019 - 0
2018 - 4 (0W 4L)
2017 - 1 (0W 1L)
2016 - 0
2015 - 6 (0W 6L)
2014 - 6 (1W 5L)
2013 - 5 (1W 4L)

Why did you choose the end of 2015? ;)

I am not against double headers but why a showdown? Isn't that the most deserving regular season fixture for a showpiece Friday night?

for 25 years no other regular season fixture has produced such consistently great games in terms of atmosphere, intensity and quality.

Why did you choose the end of 2015? ;)
Because there was a clear change after 2015. Carlton also made finals and won a final in 2013 which would have led to prime time fixtures in 2014. Even if I did add them it leaves Carlton with 25 Friday night games since the end of 2012. Essendon in the same period had 35...

Because there was a clear change after 2015. Carlton also made finals and won a final in 2013 which would have led to prime time fixtures in 2014. Even if I did add them it leaves Carlton with 25 Friday night games since the end of 2012. Essendon in the same period had 35...
Not sure why you're comparing Carlton to Essendon. Essendon have had way to many Friday night games, Essendon being over exposed doesn't mean Carlton hasnt been. Though admittedly I could only find 19 not 21 that you originally stated, maybe I counted wrong. And I rate Thursday/Friday night footy the same and the Blues have had a few more of those than Essendon since 2012 I'd wager.

But thats all superflous I just suspected you cut off at the end of 2015 because of the glut of Friday night games Carlton had during 2015. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back