Fixture Fixture 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah look the fixture isn't as bad as last year. There's definitely opportunities there. The biggest plus is an away game against Carlton at Marvel.

We usually have a couple of soul crushers in the first few rounds. This one seems like we can dip a toe in before falling in the deep end.

Collingwood, Fitzroy, Brunswick, Thornbury.
Check out the gig guids beforehand and just get an air b&b somewhere thereabouts. You can get to the footy plenty easy.

Or Northcote or Brunswick. All have proper pubs still.

Geelong and train up. Geelong is actually pretty good if you don't talk to the locals about footy

That's a commitment. That's a proper commute.

Based on last season's ladder -

MelbAway
PAHomeCairns
GeelHome / Away
BrisAway / Home
WBAway
SydAway / Home
GWSAwayCanberra
EssHome
WCEAway
FremAway / Home
RichHome
CarlAway
HawAway / Home
AdelAway
GCHome
CollHome
NMHome

Doubles against 3 of the top 6 (2 top 4) and none of the bottom 4 is rough.

Two trips to Perth.

Geelong in Geelong.

It's another tough fixture given where we are at. That said,we have been given some prime time FTA spots to open the season so destiny is in our own hands.

Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn, GWS & Port all on FTA in the first 9 rounds. We could win all of those which would be massive for sponsors and membership number.

In determining how I think we will perform for the season, I go straight to home games against interstate sides compared to interstate trips. To the end of R21 we play interstate 7 times, and have one home game against interstate clubs.

Like this year, it will cost us again, and I predict finals will be out of reach by the half way mark of the season.

This lack of home ground advantage, and the most hostile interstate schedule every year is turning me off AFL. Glass half empty...in this instance yes, because the cumulative impact costs us a couple of games every year

In determining how I think we will perform for the season, I go straight to home games against interstate sides compared to interstate trips. To the end of R21 we play interstate 7 times, and have one home game against interstate clubs.

Like this year, it will cost us again, and I predict finals will be out of reach by the half way mark of the season.

This lack of home ground advantage, and the most hostile interstate schedule every year is turning me off AFL. Glass half empty...in this instance yes, because the cumulative impact costs us a couple of games every year
Out of reach by the half way mark? We should be 7-8 wins out of our first 11.

Worth noting, we ask for home games against the big drawing Vic clubs, which is what we got - Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Hawthorn.

And Marvel isnt the home ground for 3 of them. Richmond outwardly detest the ground. If we are serious about finals, we should be beating middle and low range teams at home so it's not an excuse.

We must get off to a good start next year.

Start like we did this year and we'll be pushing sh*t up hill again.

The positive about the draw is we can really get some momentum early.

Fingers crossed we come in fitter than last year with a bit of luck on the injury front.
Yep the start will be the key - any sort of form and a good run with injuries and 6 - 0 isn't out of the question.

Might need it though since we then get GWS, Melb, Port and Geelong!!!

The key will be our form at Docklands. If we can start winning regularly there then we only need to win a few of the other games to make finals.

Thanks
Bookmarked
Ok, Round 3 Docklands/Round 4 the G .I stay up town all over the place regularly.

ATLANTIS is good - cheap - about $100 for a room - $20 to park car on site - pool - and breakfast in diner down stairs - choice of 2 things eggs or baked beans for the hot stuff .👌
For a bit more you can stay at QUEST DOCKLANDS which is 100 metres from Gate 2 to Docklands. So close you can sneak back for a frothy in the room at half time, and pre-game see Gate 2 crowds entering the ground so decide when to make a move 👌Docklands I find pretty quiet part of town [ absolutely dead in the morning for a brekkie venue- and pretty quiet after game too] ]

For G Mantra on Jolimont 250 metre walk to ground - great old hotel but just don't get overlooking the railway lines heading into Flinders St cause you won't sleep after 5.15 in the morning.
Walk into Swan St/Bridge Rd for some great pubs and bit of live music.
Cheaper option and quieter KNIGHTSBRIDGE APARTMENTS /EAST MELBOURNE - just above Jolimont Station - get a free park with room for about $100 and roll down the hill into the G.

Get back to me [ probably should be a new thread on this :laughing: ]

I'm feeling unusually optimistic after seeing the fixture. Pretty sure that means we'll finish last but it looks way better than what we usually get. It's a difficult on paper set up but there aren't a lot of really hard games or double ups against dominant teams. Actually aren't many dominant teams.

I have the sides broken up into banks.

Playing for premierships: Port, Brisbane, Melbourne, Dogs.
Playing for a spot in the 8: Cats, Saints, Tigers, Blues, Freo, GWS, Essendon, Carlton, Swans.
Making up numbers: Hawks, North, GC, Adelaide, Eagles.

All of the above could move into the next tier or drop off and even Melbourne don't yet look like a bankable dynasty side yet. No reason we couldn't move up to a top 4 side if we get a good start and stay reasonably fit. Not many other sides have me too convinced yet. The Dees are the best side of 2021 but backing up is super hard after years in the wilderness.

Last edited:
We must get off to a good start next year.

Start like we did this year and we'll be pushing sh*t up hill again.

The positive about the draw is we can really get some momentum early.

Fingers crossed we come in fitter than last year with a bit of luck on the injury front.

The easy start is huge, we always seem to hit an early wall and it makes it really hard psychologically. Melbourne grew off early season form and belief built by the week. I honestly can't remember ever getting such an easy lead in ever. We need Ratts to keep it simple and play like we did late season, no experimental s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pros ... Not a whole heap is great about this fixture for the Saints, but the first five opponents they face also didn’t make finals in 2021, so it’s something to build on early in the year before things get a fair bit tougher.

Cons ... For the second straight year the Saints get a much harder draw than their ladder position suggests they deserve ... two games against three teams that finished in the top six (Geelong, Brisbane and Sydney) plus two against Fremantle, meaning extra interstate trips.

Grade: D+

From Fox Footy
Rinse repeat ever year

Yep the start will be the key - any sort of form and a good run with injuries and 6 - 0 isn't out of the question.

Might need it though since we then get GWS, Melb, Port and Geelong!!!

But then after that Adelaide and North going into the Bye which is nice.

IDM the draw. When I look at it and track how it’s laid out across the season, it seems fair enough. It’s clear that if we don’t make finals the bigger issue will be us simply not capitalising on games that we should.

Whereas last season, it felt like more of a mix between team ability/cohesion, an extremely difficult fixture, and relentless injuries.

But as the fixture stands, there’s a clear path to success if we take it.

And IDM our double ups either. We are very competitive with Brisbane and Sydney (beat both of them last season, lost to Sydney once but could’ve easily won), and Hawthorn and Freo could be difficult but very achievable wins (but we smashed both of them in 2021). Who knows what Geelong will be like next year, but we were very competitive with them this year as well, unlucky not to win at least one against them in 2021.

So for me the fixture is no issue this year. If we stay healthy enough injury wise, I see no reason why we can’t keep developing the team and actualising the game plan, properly make finals (instead of scraping in) and hopefully be an intimidating contender.

Looking forward to Collingwood round 1, that’s just a massive game.

Last edited:
Draw hard.
Good.

Same as every year.
Someone has to go interstate and fixture needs to be worked around rich/ess/Coll playing 18 games each in Melbourne.

Now beat everyone, everywhere.
👍

The only horrible interstate trips with where sides are at the moment are GWS at home, Port in Adelaide and Lions in Queensland. We always struggle to look convincing against GC, Freo will get a decent injury list one day and WC get a free hit with umpires. I don't rate any but Brissy and Port on the pure difficulty scale. If we improve 10% we should take care of the others, improve 20% and none of them look too hard.

The only horrible interstate trips with where sides are at the moment are GWS at home, Port in Adelaide and Lions in Queensland. We always struggle to look convincing against GC, Freo will get a decent injury list one day and WC get a free hit with umpires. I don't rate any but Brissy and Port on the pure difficulty scale. If we improve 10% we should take care of the others, improve 20% and none of them look too hard.

GWS is at Canberra , i don't see that as so bad.

Hopefully this will be the year teams ( including the Saints ) start smacking the Cats into submission.

I'm feeling unusually optimistic after seeing the fixture. Pretty sure that means we'll finish last but it looks way better than what we usually get. It's a difficult on paper set up but there aren't a lot of really hard games or double ups against dominant teams. Actually aren't many dominant teams.

I have the sides broken up into banks.

Playing for premierships: Port, Brisbane, Melbourne, Dogs.
Playing for a spot in the 8: Cats, Saints, Tigers, Blues, Freo, GWS, Essendon, Carlton, Swans.
Making up numbers: Hawks, North, GC, Adelaide, Eagles.

All of the above could move into the next tier or drop off and even Melbourne don't yet look like a bankable dynasty side yet. No reason we couldn't move up to a top 4 side if we get a good start and stay reasonably fit. Not many other sides have me too convinced yet. The Dees are the best side of 2021 but backing up is super hard after years in the wilderness.
GWS is at Canberra , i don't see that as so bad.

Hopefully this will be the year teams ( including the Saints ) start smacking the Cats into submission.
Don't know if already mentioned but we play Giants Round 6 and Toby Greene's suspension was increased in October to 6 weeks. 👌
So their's a win for us. Gun player . Could well be the difference between us winning and losing. Sort of little breaks you need throughout the year.

Don't know if already mentioned but we play Giants Round 6 and Toby Greene's suspension was increased in October to 6 weeks. 👌
So their's a win for us. Gun player . Could well be the difference between us winning and losing. Sort of little breaks you need throughout the year.

Toby Greene’s first game back, and his first game as co-captain, will actually be against us in round 6 … (of course it is!)

This is because he already missed a week of GWS finals series, IIRC.

We’ll be playing in Canberra tho, so not to worry - Jack Steele will be at full power.

Toby Greene’s first game back, and his first game as co-captain, will be against us in round 6 … (of course it is!)

This is because he already missed a week of GWS finals series, IIRC.
Sorry - my bad - got 6 weeks but served one last year . And will be back for Round 6 for us . Bugger! :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back