7Cricket Vs Fox Cricket

Who has the better coverage?

• Total voters
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Fox is losing control of their graphics.

For a substantial portion of the first session yesterday, they had no score or anything at the bottom of the screen, and the commentators kept announcing the score to try and compensate for its lack in the hopes no-one would notice. This morning, when Warne was going on a journey to demonstrate something he thought, they brought up Ollie Robinson's spells by fastest/slowest ball and the average; one of his spells had the fastest ball at 121.9, the slowest at 119.5, and the average at 119.5; the average precisely the same as the slowest ball.

Not been good this series at all, and we're in the first test. I'd be interested to know how many worked in the box on production pre-Covid and how many are in there now, because the quality has perceptibly decreased.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

For a substantial portion of the first session yesterday, they had no score or anything at the bottom of the screen, and the commentators kept announcing the score to try and compensate for its lack in the hopes no-one would notice.

they tried to do a new format and it fell over apparently.

pride of the West

Senior List
May 15, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast

For a substantial portion of the first session yesterday, they had no score or anything at the bottom of the screen, and the commentators kept announcing the score to try and compensate for its lack in the hopes no-one would notice. This morning, when Warne was going on a journey to demonstrate something he thought, they brought up Ollie Robinson's spells by fastest/slowest ball and the average; one of his spells had the fastest ball at 121.9, the slowest at 119.5, and the average at 119.5; the average precisely the same as the slowest ball.

Not been good this series at all, and we're in the first test. I'd be interested to know how many worked in the box on production pre-Covid and how many are in there now, because the quality has perceptibly decreased.
This also happens time to time with footy it’s zoomed in to close can’t see the score.
I thought it was just a kayo thing

Three years later and I still prefer C7 for the same reasons.

1. C7 have Ricky Ponting who is the most insightful cricket commentator going round. Also I don't mind Allison Mitchell even though she is a Pom.
2. Fox have Warne who is the worst commentator in history and his mastery of the English language is embarrassing at best.

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
I must say do we set really high standards of broadcasts these days. What do we actually want from our commentators. There is only so much analysis that can be done during a days play. What else can they do during the boring parts of the day that everyone would like to see especially in a test.

When Channel 9 had the coverage there quality declined and became stale at the backend of that era. And i think most people were happy to see a change.

What worked 20 years ago probably doesn't work now. Like i dont think having commentators sit in silence like the late great richie benuad did works in 2021.

I don't have an issue with either 7 or Fox coverage i do flick over from time to time. Fox doesn't have the adbreaks is an advantage.

I think Skull is the best because he mixes his humour into his analysis.

And when you listen to his analysis a lot of what he says is spot on because he does the research and watches test matches all around the world plus shield.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is there a place to see the commentary schedule for the day? Would love to flick between ch 7/fox when the good commentators are on

I don't know about Fox but with 7 there's a pattern that can help people avoid commentator/s they don't like. Channel 7 operate with a ball by caller joined by two former players who are on air for 40 minutes at a time. Every session, Tim Lane gets the first 40 minute stint, Alison Mitchell gets the 2nd 40 minute stint while James Brayshaw gets the 40 minutes before the end of a session.

I think Ricky Ponting is on 5 times a day which may seem like overkill but you could argue he's the best on either network. Ponting is on in the first and third 40 minute stint of the first and last sessions while he is on during the middle stint in the 2nd session.

If things have changed this summer, I do apologise but that's the pattern I remember 7 going with for their coverage.

Last edited:

Tomford

Debutant
Sep 14, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Can’t understand Botham, Hayden has to talk about himself more than the play of course, Brayshaw wants to be an excitement knob, Tim Lane pauses and sighs too much, the English woman yells too much, Ponting is good

I must say do we set really high standards of broadcasts these days. What do we actually want from our commentators. There is only so much analysis that can be done during a days play. What else can they do during the boring parts of the day that everyone would like to see especially in a test.

When Channel 9 had the coverage there quality declined and became stale at the backend of that era. And i think most people were happy to see a change.

What worked 20 years ago probably doesn't work now. Like i dont think having commentators sit in silence like the late great richie benuad did works in 2021.

I don't have an issue with either 7 or Fox coverage i do flick over from time to time. Fox doesn't have the adbreaks is an advantage.

I think Skull is the best because he mixes his humour into his analysis.

And when you listen to his analysis a lot of what he says is spot on because he does the research and watches test matches all around the world plus shield.

I think it still does for Tests, but commentators talking non-stop is better suited for BBL.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Ricky Ponting is easily the best commentator in cricket right now. Fox is good with the no ads allowing more replays etc. but their commentators are shocking.

Commentators not being at the grounds right now is bad. Does anyone know if this is still a covid precaution or have networks realised they can save a few quid by not sending them around? I hope it's still a precaution. There's a noticeable drop in quality imo.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Ricky Ponting is easily the best commentator in cricket right now. Fox is good with the no ads allowing more replays etc. but their commentators are shocking.

Commentators not being at the grounds right now is bad. Does anyone know if this is still a covid precaution or have networks realised they can save a few quid by not sending them around? I hope it's still a precaution. There's a noticeable drop in quality imo.
No one could get into Qld except from WA. I think the 2nd test they should be there. I think for BBL it will be a money saving thing

Why the hate for Warne?

I reckon he is elite to listen to. Knows cricket better than almost everyone else ive heard speak about it. Acknowledge he is a little lazy in his preparation in terms of analysis of shield / test cricket outside that of the big 3 but there are others who cover that and his ability to identify trends in game or weaknesses in technique are unparalleled by anyone not named Ponting.

I find seven really ordinary outside of Ponting but even for him its too much to carry when compared to the overall package on Fox.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Why the hate for Warne?

I reckon he is elite to listen to. Knows cricket better than almost everyone else ive heard speak about it. Acknowledge he is a little lazy in his preparation in terms of analysis of shield / test cricket outside that of the big 3 but there are others who cover that and his ability to identify trends in game or weaknesses in technique are unparalleled by anyone not named Ponting.

I find seven really ordinary outside of Ponting but even for him its too much to carry when compared to the overall package on Fox.

He's a pompous boob who uses his position to push agenda's, which are usually talking down or up players based on his real life interaction with them

eltrain

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MVFC, Everton, Red Sox, Bruins
I’m happy we have so many options to choose from in terms of commentary nowadays. Not just Fox and 7, but also three radio broadcasts which can be synced up with streams. You’ve effectively got 5 commentary options now if a s**t commentator comes on. And what’s more, there’s no f*cking Slats anywhere to be seen.

What a time to be alive!

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Why the hate for Warne?

He really doesn't have any of those qualities.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
He's a pompous boob who uses his position to push agenda's, which are usually talking down or up players based on his real life interaction with them
Riley Meredith and Marcus Stoinis both unlucky to not be in the test team

Back