Analysis Season 2022 Fixture

We look to be ditching Western Sydney.
6 games at Giants stadium with a 7th at Accor.

It'll be back but it's annoying for the year.

Maybe we should head out and burn down Accor, that'll at least fix that one.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Brutal schedule doubling up on good teams, really going to have to prove we can have with the best this season.

Four games at GIANTS Stadium and two at Manuka last year.

Three (with crowds) and zero the previous year.

7/16 and 2/6 over the last two, which sucks for both of us.

After this year it'll be 13/24 and 6/9.

It's nice that Manuka gets their games back but it sure doesn't look like they'll bother making up for the deficit at GIANTS.

Apr 8, 2004
Canberra, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool member, GWS Fdn member
Canberra fans have been crying out for 4 games, so we couldn't be more happier. It will be disappointing if its only for 2022, because we lost games during COVID though, and this is simply to make it up.

Manuka is almost sold out every game.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Canberra fans have been crying out for 4 games, so we couldn't be more happier. It will be disappointing if its only for 2022, because we lost games during COVID though, and this is simply to make it up.

Manuka is almost sold out every game.
Western Sydney also lost games during covid. Do we get 9? 10? In 2023?
If it’s more than 2022 we may as well drop the Greater Western Sydney name and become the Gypsie Giants.
Though supposedly the membership team have been telling people it is only for 2022.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
I hate this.

We look to be ditching Western Sydney.
6 games at Giants stadium with a 7th at Accor.

So much for being a Western Sydney club. We are Gypsies.

Hopefully a one off. At least they get 6 games in Melbourne, the players will definitely like that.
Canberra did ok last year ( 2 of the 3 games went ahead), I don't think we should have to play 4 games this year.

Last edited:
Getting annoyed at "the Battle of the Bridge" being misleading again, given
  1. it's not the bridge that everyone calls "the bridge"
  2. the bridge it is is also 100% inside the Swans' zone.
I'm opening up the floor for a real bridge to battle over. The Battle of the Terry's Creek Bridge, anyone? Do any of the bridges over the Georges River have a catchy name? The Bennelong Bridge seems like an even better candidate!

Surely we can find a decent bridge on the border of the two zones to fight over!

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
After 5 rounds, we really need to be 3 and 2 with TFG returning.

A ridiculously high stakes R1 fixture.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
After 5 rounds, we really need to be 3 and 2 with TFG returning.

A ridiculously high stakes R1 fixture.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I had us at 2-3 after round 5, beating Richmond and Gold Coast defintely a chance to beat Freo but the trip over there is always difficult.

Getting annoyed at "the Battle of the Bridge" being misleading again, given
  1. it's not the bridge that everyone calls "the bridge"
  2. the bridge it is is also 100% inside the Swans' zone.
I'm opening up the floor for a real bridge to battle over. The Battle of the Terry's Creek Bridge, anyone? Do any of the bridges over the Georges River have a catchy name? The Bennelong Bridge seems like an even better candidate!

Surely we can find a decent bridge on the border of the two zones to fight over!
The Putney Punt?

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Maybe we should head out and burn down Accor, that'll at least fix that one.

LOL.

I'm not sure why we're playing there anyway. The last time we played Sydney at Giants Stadium was the lowest crowd we've ever had for a derby, so I don't know why they think there"ll be a big turnout.

I reckon a lot of Swans fans will take a punt on Buddy not kicking his 1000th until the following week at the SCG and not bother coming.

As for the rest of it, we basically sacrifice one game in western Sydney in favour of Canberra. I can live with that.

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
LOL.

I'm not sure why we're playing there anyway. The last time we played Sydney at Giants Stadium was the lowest crowd we've ever had for a derby, so I don't know why they think there"ll be a big turnout.

I reckon a lot of Swans fans will take a punt on Buddy not kicking his 1000th until the following week at the SCG and not bother coming.

As for the rest of it, we basically sacrifice one game in western Sydney in favour of Canberra. I can live with that.
I guess they are betting that they will get 20k swans fans. 10-12k GWS.
Giants stadium will be at reduced capacity as well (I think).
Ultimately 24k at Giants stadium will have a way better atmosphere. But I don't mind them reaching for the stars with moves like this. It's a 'small market team' that they are trying to turn into a powerhouse.
I enjoy the Canberra games....4 might be stretching it...but I guess if you take care of second markets (like Tasmania) you can really benefit down the road.
$$$ for sure.
Are they the best moves for us to win a flag though? No way.

Back