What are you listening to right now? Pt VI

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
I wanted to replace a couple of Zeppelin LP's that I used to own, but the local shop wanted $60 each for their first four albums. So I looked around online for a few weeks and finally picked up a brand new copy of Physical Graffiti (which is a double LP for those who don't know) for under $44!! That's an absolute bargain these days.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
A glam rock classic, replete with Bryan Ferry twisting syllables, Andy Mackay conjuring up some demented sax playing, Phil Manzanera's nagging guitar, all at a rapid tempo. What is The Strand? Who gives a s**t? Just enjoy this classic for what it is:

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
As soon as you play them they start wearing out.
They do start wearing out but if you look after them they will last as long as you do.
Every time you play a record you are theoretically losing some of the high end, but if you look after your records, have a proper turntable and replace the needles regularly you won't ever notice.

That is assuming you have quality records in the first place, which most people don't. The major record companies who pump out the new Adele album and countless Pink Floyd reissues don't care about the quality of the sound. If they did, they wouldn't press coloured vinyl because the colourant in the records adds a noise floor to the records. But again, most people who buy them either can't tell or don't care.

The pressing is really important, the materials used (often, mispressed or unsold records were melted and recycled), the thickness of the vinyl, where it was pressed etc. There are certain countries/pressing plants which have a reputation for great sound quality, and this is why older original pressings are generally more valuable than the newer reissues.

Re: price, I find it's often cheaper to buy a brand new vinyl from the UK and have it shipped over than use an Australian retailer.

On topic: I am listening to yacht rock.

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
Every time you play a record you are theoretically losing some of the high end, but if you look after your records, have a proper turntable and replace the needles regularly you won't ever notice.
That's it.
The major record companies who pump out the new Adele album and countless Pink Floyd reissues don't care about the quality of the sound.
One may argue they don't care about the quality of the music they pump out either, but I digress.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Classic grunge, with a real 'doom metal' vibe that shows off an obvious Black Sabbath influence. Combine a wah-wah riff with one of Layne Staley's most impassioned performances, and you have this:

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Background.
This is Bob Welch and his band at the Roxy in LA, November, 1981. Roxy was/is a famous nightclub that used to host a lot of small concerts and parties for the big music artists of the day, back then it held about 400 people.
Mick Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks, and Christine McVie were Welch's guests (as was Ann Wilson of Heart) on this night.

What's unique and special about this raw performance, aside from Stevie's usual haunting vocals, it doesn't appear to be rehearsed, with Fleetwood first sitting down playing a cow bell, then wandering around looking to play something else, finds the bongos! McVie I assume is on the keyboards, although you don't really see her.

Last edited:

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Early hip hop is pretty much one solid borrowed beat, a few scratches and a kid putting together words that don't mean anything and don't quite rhyme. What's not to like.

Last edited:
Back