Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can't comment much on Perez but Goater will likely be a mid (again) or wing. Will start off a defender tho but you have way too much work to do there. It looks terrible long term imo, your best defender was Hall (probably) barring McKay and Ziebell who are both 30+. Turner is good but he's 26 on the 31st and will be 27 end of next year.
McKay is 23.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Can't comment much on Perez but Goater will likely be a mid (again) or wing. Will start off a defender tho but you have way too much work to do there. It looks terrible long term imo, your best defender was Hall (probably) barring McKay and Ziebell who are both 30+. Turner is good but he's 26 on the 31st and will be 27 end of next year.

I do like McKay tho, he looks awesome. Just think it's defenders, defenders, defenders for the next few drafts and probably forwards with both small and mid sized forwards to go with a key forward to be alongside CCJ and Larkey. Ruck ofc (if Edwards is a fwd or ruc) no real 100% next ruck.

Maybe a proper winger aswell in the mold of a Isaac Smith or Brad/Stephen Hill or Scully 2016. Like that gut running, link up winger who is just elite. Not just a midfielder on a wing.

you seriously overrate Hawthorns back 6 Dommy. Just because it’s the most advanced line that Hawthorn have, doesn’t mean it’s close to elite.

You still have the hardest gap to fill in your back 6, which is, who takes the 200cm gorilla forwards (Kings, H.McKay, Darcy’s) that are going to be causing havoc for the next decade?

You currently have Hartigan 🤣

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
you seriously overrate Hawthorns back 6 Dommy. Just because it’s the most advanced line that Hawthorn have, doesn’t mean it’s close to elite.

You still have the hardest gap to fill in your back 6, which is, who takes the 200cm gorilla forwards (Kings, H.McKay, Darcy’s) that are going to be causing havoc for the next decade?

You currently have Hartigan 🤣
Gee … a Hawks supporter “overrating arrogantly his team ” …..
F4A800AD-EFDD-472D-9C87-26B8FBACC0ED.gif

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
I took this team from the Hawthorn board as their potential round one team so i picked my round 1 team based on this from a match up point of view.

Hardwick Frost Scrimshaw
JHF Larkey CCJ

Jiath Grainger-Baras Sicily
Thomas Comben Zurhaar

Phillips Impey Day
Powell Simpkin Steevo

Gunston Koschitzke Moore
Zeibell BMac Hall

Breust Lewis Wingard
Perez Corr LMac

Reeves Mitchell O'Meara
Goldy Greenwood LDU

McEvoy Nash Worpel Brockman
Ford Phillips Taylor Mahoney
TT started in the middle pretty much every match this year.

Can't see him going back to a flank.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Looking at that Hawks team, the two, and probably only concerns are

1- What to do with Sicily? Play a defensive forward on him or try to make him accountable?

The problem with a defensive forward is that I don’t think we have anyone that plays that role except Turner and he’d be giving away a lot of size, but I’m not sure if that matters much with the way Sicily plays, very outside. But he doesn’t mind an intercept mark though so that’s where he’d have no issues peeling off Turner to come in third man up. It’s a tough one.

2- Chad Wingard. I’d be telling Lukey Mac to give him the full Sloane lockdown treatment.

After that, I’d be happy to go head to head with them all over the ground.

But as mentioned earlier in the thread, it’s a long way from here to round 1 so * knows who’ll be available.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au

1- What to do with Sicily? Play a defensive forward on him or try to make him accountable?

The problem with a defensive forward is that I don’t think we have anyone that plays that role except Turner and he’d be giving away a lot of size, but I’m not sure if that matters much with the way Sicily plays, very outside. But he doesn’t mind an intercept mark though so that’s where he’d have no issues peeling off Turner to come in third man up. It’s a tough one.

2- Chad Wingard. I’d be telling Lukey Mac to give him the full Sloane lockdown treatment.

But as mentioned earlier in the thread, it’s a long way from here to round 1 so fu** knows who’ll be available.

Usually after an ACL it takes 6 months of football to get really back into it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

But as mentioned earlier in the thread, it’s a long way from here to round 1 so fu** knows who’ll be available.
Can Luke keep up with Chad all game tho, he's no Sloane when it comes to the same type, he's more a wirey MID-FWD.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Usually after an ACL it takes 6 months of football to get really back into it.
Not sure mate, Impey seemed fine but played forward so could've gotten back to his best even quicker if we did. But he got injured ribs after his ACL aswell.

For me Sicily isn't an Impey relying on pace so it'll be easier imo.

Shack18

Team Captain
Feb 13, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure mate, Impey seemed fine but played forward so could've gotten back to his best even quicker if we did. But he got injured ribs after his ACL aswell.

For me Sicily isn't an Impey relying on pace so it'll be easier imo.
Mate definitely takes time for players to get back to their best post an acl. I would not be relying on Sicily to make a difference early 2022 season.
cheers

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hawthorn will look to fast-track the development of their forwards in a bid to quickly re-emerge as premiership contenders.

As pre-season training under new coach Sam Mitchell takes shape, the Hawks – who finished 14th last season with seven wins – understand they have work to do before they are again one of the more feared teams of the AFL.

While they boast a strong midfield and, going on last year’s figure, defence, it’s up forward where they hope to make a significant advancement.
Young Hawk [PLAYERCARD]Mitchell Lewis[/PLAYERCARD] celebrates a goal.

Young Hawk Mitchell Lewis celebrates a goal.CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS

David Hale, a three-time Hawks premiership forward-ruckman, has returned to Waverley after six years as an assistant at Fremantle, and now has the responsibility of extracting more from an attack that averaged 10.9 goals per game last season – equal 11th with Carlton, and better than St Kilda, Adelaide, Collingwood, North Melbourne, Fremantle and Gold Coast. Premiers Melbourne averaged 12.9 goals per game.

“Getting the ball in there is one thing, but being able to connect, take uncontested marks and have shots on goal from reasonable areas are going to be important,” Hale told The Age.

“As team defences get better, the ability to transition and mark inside 50 is going to be really important. Ideally, we would like to get one or two more marks.

“The game is probably becoming a bit more of a turnover game where you have got to score from turnover, so for our forwards to set up and react … is going to be important.”

The Hawks had trouble scoring in 2021, for a variety of reasons. Averaging almost six fewer inside 50 entries than their opponents each game (ranked 15th), their young forward line had far fewer opportunities. And once the ball got in there, only North Melbourne and Gold Coast were less efficient at scoring.

Three-time premiership star Luke Breust, a medium-sized forward, topped the goal-kicking table with a relatively modest 33 last season, while key forward Jacob Koschitzke and Dylan Moore each supplied 27.

But Hale points to the growth ahead, for Koschitzke, 21, Moore, 22, Mitch Lewis, 23, and Jackson Callow, 19, are still in their football infancy, and can learn from Breust, 31, and a now healthy Jack Gunston, 30, about the required forward craft.

“Hopefully, we can fast-track those [younger] guys and get games into them – 20, 30, 50 games where they get really consistent and get to that point in the season where they know where each other will be. Their predictability, how they move and operate, and connection with the midfield is going to be important,” Hale said.
“If we can continue to build their craft … by the time they get to 24, 25, when they get into their prime, they’ll be really good players.”

Ideally, the Hawks will have a key forward who can supply more than 40 goals, rather than leaving the heavy lifting to Breust.

However, Hale, who saw first hand last decade when the Hawks chose to reduce their reliance on superstar forward Lance Franklin to be less predictable, doesn’t necessarily believe a dominant key-position type is needed.

“Everyone likes having a big dominant forward but whether that’s [split between] one player or four – Dylan Moore had a good year last year, Koschitzke, Mitch Lewis are still only 21 or 22 – there are no expectations on us. Hopefully, we kick enough goals to win enough games,” Hale said.

Scoring from stoppages was also an issue last season, for the Hawks were ranked 17th in points differential in that area (they were 16th in 2020). In the 15 games they were outscored from clearances, they paid a price, winning only three and drawing once.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Scott did a great job when he had a chance to play that defensive forward role this year.

The other way to do it would be to put a dangerous player like Thomas, Stephenson or even JHF (good 2 way runner) on him to force him to be accountable.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Chad is name and effort - all hot air
The only thing Wingard does that might worry Lmac is playing that wide he’s on the boundary.
Do you have that much faith in Lukey? I saw a few of his games since i owned him as a defender in SC for a little, was decent as a tagger but i don't see him keeping up with Wingard forward or in the guts when he's using his pace.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Do you have that much faith in Lukey? I saw a few of his games since i owned him as a defender in SC for a little, was decent as a tagger but i don't see him keeping up with Wingard forward or in the guts when he's using his pace.

Wingard must be faster than Cyril then - because Lmac gave Cyril 15 metres and caught him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back