Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, slightly self-indulgent but I wanted to share a link to a fundraising page which I have put together to mark my efforts to walk from Brisbane to the Gold Coast (starting Boxing Day) to raise funds for pre-term birth: https://www.mycause.com.au/p/270382...PaVQ-0X0N7N_BleB4nEcRJVqjcHVitjadRvNYzGQnAtYY

I haven't personally been affected by pre-term birth but a good friend of mine (former Rugby pro Dean Mumm) has had an extraordinarily tough journey (you can read it via the link) and is doing a huge amount of work in this space. It's really touched me as a relatively new Dad, hence why I decided to do something here. I would greatly appreciate anybody who feels inspired to contribute :)

Sounds like working for the Victorian government.
any government to be fair

My wife works at local government and the s**t that goes unpunished ******* spins me out

so there's 2 things I can't seem to get answers for. 1 is: can a non member get a photo with the Cup at the sports museum? Or is it only for members. and 2: Can we attend training sessions at Casey?

so there's 2 things I can't seem to get answers for. 1 is: can a non member get a photo with the Cup at the sports museum? Or is it only for members. and 2: Can we attend training sessions at Casey?
Not sure on 1. But I think you’ll find going to Casey to watch training will be fine. Although like early this year we had to watch from the fence outside of the ground. Not like previous when you could wonder around the actual boundary. So that maybe still the case.

Not sure on 1. But I think you’ll find going to Casey to watch training will be fine. Although like early this year we had to watch from the fence outside of the ground. Not like previous when you could wonder around the actual boundary. So that maybe still the case.
Is it still watchable from outside the ground? or not worth the trek out there? Also, does anyone have a list on the training times.

I feel like whoever is running the website is a bit slow with things. The official demons player page still has delisted players on there like bradtke and no profile of the draftees .

Is it still watchable from outside the ground? or not worth the trek out there? Also, does anyone have a list on the training times.

I feel like whoever is running the website is a bit slow with things. The official demons player page still has delisted players on there like bradtke and no profile of the draftees .
Yeah still watchable. Obviously not as good as the boundary but I’d go again. You could call the club re times to.

Press release

[TD valign="top"]
  • Revenue growth of $14.5m (47%) – including a $3.0m increase in match receipts, a $2.7m increase in merchandise sales and &1.7m growth in membership revenue.
  • The result was achieved despite the significant impact of COVID restrictions – the club estimates a $4m impact as a result of the relocation of home matches, games being played without crowds and membership grinding to a halt mid-season due to the lockdowns.
  • The Club’s Balance Sheet is in a strong position, underpinned by the Bentleigh Club land asset ($23.7m), cash reserves of $9.6m and no debt.
Melbourne CEO Gary Pert said the Club’s on and off field results in 2021 are something that all members can be proud of.

“This year was an exceptional one for Melbourne Football Club both on and off the field,” said Pert.

“In addition to bringing the 2021 AFL Premiership Cup home to our loyal supporters, our AFLW team also recorded a club best performance by reaching a preliminary final, we set a new club membership record and navigated our way through, yet another COVID affected season whilst still managing to record an operating profit.

“The club also reached an agreement to sell the Bentleigh Club for $23.7m, which will settle in 2022. The club will establish a Future Fund with the proceeds of sale, with the purpose of the Future Fund to underpin the long term financial sustainability of the club.

“We sold three years’ worth of merchandise in the month leading up to and following the grand final. These unprecedented results were a significant driver in achieving such a fantastic financial result in 2021.

“In addition, we are also thankful for the ongoing support of our loyal commercial partners. The club was able to retain all but one partner from the COVID affected 2020 season, including Co-Principal partners Zurich and Jaguar, whilst also welcoming a number of new partners to the club.

“We could not have achieved these kinds of results without the support of the 54,493 dedicated Demons who signed on in 2021. To all of our members and supporters thank you. Your support ensures we can continue to re-establish Melbourne as a powerhouse of the competition.

“We look forward to welcoming our fans home to the MCG and continuing to grow the football club both on and off the field in 2022.”

The Melbourne Football Club Annual General Meeting will be held in February 2022.[/TD]

I raised this with the club a couple years ago and it is out of their control. Think the AFL tick these things off and they have to wait for that before they can update the website.

Anyone know what the prize money was for the 2021 GF? I can find that before COVID it was $1.2m for the winner and $660k for the runner-up but was ‘slashed’ for 2020. Was probably not much I assume.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know what the prize money was for the 2021 GF? I can find that before COVID it was $1.2m for the winner and $660k for the runner-up but was ‘slashed’ for 2020. Was probably not much I assume.
Looks like it's back to normal or thereabouts (at $1.1m) if this prize money is purely for the grand final:
Screenshot_20211211-065333_Drive.jpg
One thing to note is the way sponsorship deals are structured. Melbourne playing finals and then playing in and winning the grand final likely resulted in a lot of extra clauses within the sponsorship contracts triggering which would have resulted in even more "prize money" being awarded to the club - this is money from sponsors rather than prize money from the AFL.

Last edited:
Looks like it's back to normal or thereabouts (at $1.1m) if this prize money is purely for the grand final:
View attachment 1295442
One thing to note is the way sponsorship deals are structured. Melbourne playing finals and then playing in and winning the grand final likely resulted in a lot of extra clauses within the sponsorship contracts triggering which would have resulted in even more "prize money" being awarded to the club - this is money from sponsors rather than prize money from the AFL.

Finals and winning a grand final aren’t purely a financial windfall. It also increases expenses, such as there being more than the regular 22 rounds of player match payments. An extra ~13% of games (3/22) to rack up game costs.

In the detail of the financial report the players get 0.5m of that 1.1m prize money. With crowds and associated gate receipts you’d expect all those finals should’ve still generated a profit margin. Again, I’m not sure if that’s shared equally between the two participants, I suspect it is.

There was clearly a massive revenue spike on merchandise of ~2.6m, but equally an expense spike of cost of sales for that merchandise of around $1.3m. Still a very, very good profit margin of 50%.

I’m not sure to what degree the AFL subsidised travel and accomodation required due to COVID, and I suspect they covered almost all of it. Cleary there would’ve been huge cost to stay at the resort in Perth in the lead up to and after the GF that would’ve been completely avoided if Melbourne’s finals had all been at the MCG.

There is very little detail in the financial report on the breakdown of expenses, and given the unusual accomodation costs of being in the Queensland hub in 2020 you can’t compare to the year before to work out who pays for what or what was substantially different due purely to playing finals.

My guess looking at what detail is avaialable is the AFL have eaten those additional COVID travel and accomodations costs “off the books” for the clubs both years, rather than have the clubs pay for it directly and then compensate them with offsetting increased distributions “on the books”. This makes sense as it was purely bad luck if the club had to go to a hub or not, and it would’ve been easier for the AFL to secure debt funding and handle it centrally from an administrative perspective than each club trying to do it themselves.

There were two other things I found interesting.

Despite exiting gaming, the club still holds some gaming machine assets although they are mostly depreciated meaning they are old.

While the increased costs of the AFLW program in 2021 are called out, the associated revenues are not. It’s a political topic and it’s widely acknowledged AFLW is a strategic investment by the AFL and clubs and accepted it is not profitable at this point - but the answers of how unprofitable the program is are deliberately hidden and obscured.

Finals and winning a grand final aren’t purely a financial windfall. It also increases expenses, such as there being more than the regular 22 rounds of player match payments. An extra ~13% of games (3/22) to rack up game costs.

In the detail of the financial report the players get 0.5m of that 1.1m prize money. With crowds and associated gate receipts you’d expect all those finals should’ve still generated a profit margin. Again, I’m not sure if that’s shared equally between the two participants, I suspect it is.

There was clearly a massive revenue spike on merchandise of ~2.6m, but equally an expense spike of cost of sales for that merchandise of around $1.3m. Still a very, very good profit margin of 50%.

I’m not sure to what degree the AFL subsidised travel and accomodation required due to COVID, and I suspect they covered almost all of it. Cleary there would’ve been huge cost to stay at the resort in Perth in the lead up to and after the GF that would’ve been completely avoided if Melbourne’s finals had all been at the MCG.

There is very little detail in the financial report on the breakdown of expenses, and given the unusual accomodation costs of being in the Queensland hub in 2020 you can’t compare to the year before to work out who pays for what or what was substantially different due purely to playing finals.

My guess looking at what detail is avaialable is the AFL have eaten those additional COVID travel and accomodations costs “off the books” for the clubs both years, rather than have the clubs pay for it directly and then compensate them with offsetting increased distributions “on the books”. This makes sense as it was purely bad luck if the club had to go to a hub or not, and it would’ve been easier for the AFL to secure debt funding and handle it centrally from an administrative perspective than each club trying to do it themselves.

There were two other things I found interesting.

Despite exiting gaming, the club still holds some gaming machine assets although they are mostly depreciated meaning they are old.

While the increased costs of the AFLW program in 2021 are called out, the associated revenues are not. It’s a political topic and it’s widely acknowledged AFLW is a strategic investment by the AFL and clubs and accepted it is not profitable at this point - but the answers of how unprofitable the program is are deliberately hidden and obscured.
Are you an accountant?

Are we likely to receive membership packs before Christmas? Have a nice tradition of the kids getting theirs for Christmas.

Are we likely to receive membership packs before Christmas? Have a nice tradition of the kids getting theirs for Christmas.
Hopefully, my dad was asking this the other week, he recently renewed, mine auto renewed in November, I'm not as fussed. I'm more fussed about premiership memorabilia I ordered after gf haven't arrived yet. I could have just waited and bought them at rebel or something. Anyway is what it is.

Hopefully, my dad was asking this the other week, he recently renewed, mine auto renewed in November, I'm not as fussed. I'm more fussed about premiership memorabilia I ordered after gf haven't arrived yet. I could have just waited and bought them at rebel or something. Anyway is what it is.
Who did you purchase through? I ordered from the AFL Store on the morning after the GF and my merch arrived today.

Normally I would've cancelled the order by now but I wasn't that fussed about this stuff - truthfully I won't even wear it very often. I just bought it all in drunken excitement.

Who did you purchase through? I ordered from the AFL Store on the morning after the GF and my merch arrived today.

Normally I would've cancelled the order by now but I wasn't that fussed about this stuff - truthfully I won't even wear it very often. I just bought it all in drunken excitement.
Bought some merchandise through the afl store which arrived a few weeks ago. I bought a cap from some site that arrived maybe a week after gf. The merchandise I'm currently waiting for premiership guernsey and new balance premiership t-shirt I purchased through the Demon shop.

Bought some merchandise through the afl store which arrived a few weeks ago. I bought a cap from some site that arrived maybe a week after gf. The merchandise I'm currently waiting for premiership guernsey and new balance premiership t-shirt I purchased through the Demon shop.
Yep, the shirt and guernsey are what I was waiting on too. Reckon you'll get your order pretty soon 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back