Analysis 2022 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

My general point is that we often suggest players who should/will play games but rarely do people offer who they replace. Sheldrick may get opportunities early but only due to injury. I’ve seen similar posts about Gould and Sheather. Personally, I hope they don’t play early in the season because it will mean that our team is healthy.
If they have proven they have earnt their spots in preseason training and games they should be picked. Those players on the fringe last season might be better than those who were in the team last season. It is a clean slate at the start of a new season and past reputations should not count. Pick who is in form.

If they have proven they have earnt their spots in preseason training and games they should be picked. Those players on the fringe last season might be better than those who were in the team last season. It is a clean slate at the start of a new season and past reputations should not count. Pick who is in form.
I agree that preseason counts but it is far from a clean slate. Players who have significant runs on the board from our excellent 2021 season should and will be given first crack. I’d say about 19 or 20 spots are already on the whiteboard.

I agree that preseason counts but it is far from a clean slate. Players who have significant runs on the board from our excellent 2021 season should and will be given first crack. I’d say about 19 or 20 spots are already on the whiteboard.
I agree. Those spots are there to be lost. It will take both poor form from them and amazing form from someone else to change it. Or injury of course. 🤞🤞🤞.
Ladhams will need to demonstrate he's better than Amartey and McLean. Reckon all 3 plus McDonald will play scratch and preseason. Not Bud or Reid.
Fox vs COR vs Gould should get a run. Maybe O'Connor?
JMac vs Florent vs Campbell too. Maybe Warner Chad in that group as well.
The youngsters will get a run as part of their development, but not really contesting for a spot. Sheather will be particularly interesting.

I agree. Those spots are there to be lost. It will take both poor form from them and amazing form from someone else to change it. Or injury of course. 🤞🤞🤞.
Ladhams will need to demonstrate he's better than Amartey and McLean. Reckon all 3 plus McDonald will play scratch and preseason. Not Bud or Reid.
Fox vs COR vs Gould should get a run. Maybe O'Connor?
JMac vs Florent vs Campbell too. Maybe Warner Chad in that group as well.
The youngsters will get a run as part of their development, but not really contesting for a spot. Sheather will be particularly interesting.
For me Ladhams is a walk-up start if he's in about the same form as McLean and Amartey during pre-season. He's a better ruck than both (and I have question marks over his no.1 ruck potential) and at least on par with McLean as a forward (different type but I think overall we'd be better with Ladhams in the team). McLean's best might edge him but he only produced that once or twice last year, not worth the ultra-quiet games.

There's a group of about 8 players from our Elim Final team whose spots might be competitive if they have quiet pre-seasons and others excel. The rest I only see as dropping out if something extraordinary happens (injury, spectacular loss of form). Not going to re-name them for another round of debate, and I expect only a couple of changes at most from our Elim Final team anyway (barring the obvious ins of Mills, JPK and Blakey for Dawson, Hewett and probably Bell (or COR if we want to make a blunder)).

The likes of Campbell, Stephens get a game over the draftees if form is about the same.

Last edited:
For me Ladhams is a walk-up start if he's in about the same form as McLean and Amartey during pre-season. He's a better ruck than both (and I have question marks over his no.1 ruck potential) and at least on par with McLean as a forward (different type but I think overall we'd be better with Ladhams in the team). McLean's best might edge him but he only produced that once or twice last year, not worth the ultra-quiet games.

There's a group of about 8 players from our Elim Final team whose spots might be competitive if they have quiet pre-seasons and others excel. The rest I only see as dropping out if something extraordinary happens (injury, spectacular loss of form). Not going to re-name them for another round of debate, and I expect only a couple of changes at most from our Elim Final team anyway (barring the obvious ins of Mills, JPK and Blakey for Dawson, Hewett and probably Bell (or COR if we want to make a blunder)).

The likes of Campbell, Stephens get a game over the draftees if form is about the same.
I think we will need to express confidence in Ladhams as ruck/forward for the next couple of seasons barring injury to himself or Hickey but make it plain he needs to put in the work. So far, he has said all the right things and looks to be working hard at training and settling in well, which is all we can ask.
Managing McLean and Amartey might be the tougher task if we're getting a lot of games into McDonald (as per Horse). Difficult for them to live in a constant state of readiness and disappointment. For sure there will be opportunities through injury and player management.
As I've said before, hard to see any of the draftees getting a debut early on, or even later if wecremain relatively injury free. Squeezing both Florent and Campbell into the team might be a bit of a challenge.
Not so sure that Blakey will be ready to roll Rd1. That was a pretty nasty injury. If he doesn't make it that will also be an interesting challenge for the match committee.

I think we will need to express confidence in Ladhams as ruck/forward for the next couple of seasons barring injury to himself or Hickey but make it plain he needs to put in the work. So far, he has said all the right things and looks to be working hard at training and settling in well, which is all we can ask.
Managing McLean and Amartey might be the tougher task if we're getting a lot of games into McDonald (as per Horse). Difficult for them to live in a constant state of readiness and disappointment. For sure there will be opportunities through injury and player management.
As I've said before, hard to see any of the draftees getting a debut early on, or even later if wecremain relatively injury free. Squeezing both Florent and Campbell into the team might be a bit of a challenge.
Not so sure that Blakey will be ready to roll Rd1. That was a pretty nasty injury. If he doesn't make it that will also be an interesting challenge for the match committee.
I reckon Florent's almost a lock (he was on my list of non-locks though). Despite the flak he cops, he improved his kicking considerably this year and he's obviously pleasing the coaches in what he's doing (top 10 in B&F). Unless something drastic happens, he'll be named Round 1. We had Campbell behind Bell for our Elim Final team, so I think he'll need to shine in pre-season to get a go, but I'm confident he can.

Yeah Blakey might be the one touch and go, but he'll be back in the main group in January apparently. You'd be locking Lloyd and JMac in as the half backs then, with at least one of Rampe, COR or Fox playing an intercept role. Opens the door for Campbell, Stephens on a wing/HF.

I reckon Florent's almost a lock (he was on my list of non-locks though). Despite the flak he cops, he improved his kicking considerably this year and he's obviously pleasing the coaches in what he's doing (top 10 in B&F). Unless something drastic happens, he'll be named Round 1. We had Campbell behind Bell for our Elim Final team, so I think he'll need to shine in pre-season to get a go, but I'm confident he can.

Yeah Blakey might be the one touch and go, but he'll be back in the main group in January apparenly. You'd be locking Lloyd and JMac in as the half backs then, with at least one of Rampe, COR or Fox playing an intercept role. Opens the door for Campbell, Stephens on a wing/HF.
So we finally get some early draft picks (2018 &19) after what seems like decades of missing out, excluding academy picks of course yet they are struggling to fit into our best 22. I'm hoping both Stephens and Campbell overtake their nearby rivals and fulfill the potential we saw in them when selected at pick 5.

That wouldn’t look good
No it wouldn't.

So let's back in the kid who signed for 2 more years after having a limited pre-season last year :)

So we finally get some early draft picks (2018 &19) after what seems like decades of missing out, excluding academy picks of course yet they are struggling to fit into our best 22. I'm hoping both Stephens and Campbell overtake their nearby rivals and fulfill the potential we saw in them when selected at pick 5.

Like I alluded to earlier, the consequences of having so many good kids come out of the rebuild are that those drafted at the tail end of it (2019 & 2020) are at the tail end of the pecking order, as those drafted before them have already got their spots reasonably secure.

As for "hoping" they overtake their teammates, I find that to be a strange take, with all due respect. We have 40 odd players on the list, I don't care which combination of 22 of them take the field each week or go on to win a flag, as long as it's the 22 that will best give us the strongest chance of actually winning a game or the flag. Stephens and Campbell are top five picks, so sure, I want them to be great players. But I also want the guys they're competing against for spots to be great too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I alluded to earlier, the consequences of having so many good kids come out of the rebuild are that those drafted at the tail end of it (2019 & 2020) are at the tail end of the pecking order, as those drafted before them have already got their spots reasonably secure.

As for "hoping" they overtake their teammates, I find that to be a strange take, with all due respect. We have 40 odd players on the list, I don't care which combination of 22 of them take the field each week or go on to win a flag, as long as it's the 22 that will best give us the strongest chance of actually winning a game or the flag. Stephens and Campbell are top five picks, so sure, I want them to be great players. But I also want the guys they're competing against for spots to be great too.

Not so strange Caesar. A top 5 pick has at that time a greater probability of success and longevity of career. It's reasonable to want them to overtake others that don't because they don't.

Not so strange Caesar. A top 5 pick has at that time a greater probability of success and longevity of career. It's reasonable to want them to overtake others that don't because they don't.

Says who? Most of our best youngsters were taken outside of the first round. We've shown more than any other club that where you are drafted matters not when it comes to success and longevity. By your logic, we should be rooting for Campbell and Stephens (both top 5 picks) to overtake Gulden and Warner (both picks in the 30s)

Says who? Most of our best youngsters were taken outside of the first round. We've shown more than any other club that where you are drafted matters not when it comes to success and longevity. By your logic, we should be rooting for Campbell and Stephens (both top 5 picks) to overtake Gulden and Warner (both picks in the 30s)

You can't read out of my post

"Probability"
and
"At the time"

Because it suits your argument. They create meaning you are now dismissing. Comes a point where probability is no longer relevant because track record demonstrates different. Gulden was a mistake of draft whose probability was in error for his pick. Warner is establishing a track record that is very close to overturning his probability too now changed.

You can't read out of my post

"Probability"
and
"At the time"

Because it suits your argument. They create meaning you are now dismissing. Comes a point where probability is no longer relevant because track record demonstrates different. Gulden was a mistake of draft whose probability was in error for his pick. Warner is establishing a track record that is very close to overturning his probability too now changed.

You need to explain your points about "probability" (doesn't our success with players taken outside the first round just completely disprove the idea of there even being a "probability"?) and "at that time" (at what time?)

They make no sense at all.

What I meant by hoping they overtake the incumbents would mean that they become even better than them. So we go from a player ranked as an 8 to one ranked as a 9. I don't particularly care who the best 22 is as long as it continues to get better.

We haven't even started 2022

I'm not even disagreeing, I don't see how he plays a game with his form from last year, but this is going way too early in the season. Let's just see how his preseason goes.
Stephens had a couple of decent games, was pretty good vs the Cats and got dropped immediately. Agree that his last few games were pretty poor and if basing off that, he's not getting a go. The problem with going purely off the previous year (not you) for kids though is they can fluctuate wildly, hence why I don't have a few of the untouchable kids (according to many) on my locked in list yet.

If we go by the previous year, Stephens plays a lot more in 2021, and Warner probably gets nowhere near it, potentially delisted.

Stephens had a couple of decent games, was pretty good vs the Cats and got dropped immediately. Agree that his last few games were pretty poor and if basing off that, he's not getting a go. The problem with going purely off the previous year (not you) for kids though is they can fluctuate wildly, hence why I don't have a few of the untouchable kids (according to many) on my locked in list yet.

If we go by the previous year, Stephens plays a lot more in 2021, and Warner probably gets nowhere near it, potentially delisted.
Yah, I'm just saying there is reason to be worried about Stephens. I've been one of his biggest advocates, but I realise that he's behind McInerney, Blakey, Florent, Campbell, and Gulden, who all play similar positions. Hopefully he takes a step up and proves himself, and I look forward to seeing his progress this year.

You need to explain your points about "probability" (doesn't our success with players taken outside the first round just completely disprove the idea of there even being a "probability"?) and "at that time" (at what time?)

They make no sense at all.

No offence Caesar, I'm just not much in a mood for explaining myself. In hindsight perhaps I shouldn't have commented in those circumstances. My bad

No offence taken at all mate, hope everything is OK :thumbsu:

Had a hypertensive crisis and wasn't feeling well for 3 mths. Anyhow my new Dr thought my pulse rate was too low and did an ECG . Turns out I had a 100% heart block requiring a pacemaker. Inserted within 24 hrs . Ok now but emotionally drained a little by it all. I'm not quite as resilient as I thought I was.

Had a hypertensive crisis and wasn't feeling well for 3 mths. Anyhow my new Dr thought my pulse rate was too low and did an ECG . Turns out I had a 100% heart block requiring a pacemaker. Inserted within 24 hrs . Ok now but emotionally drained a little by it all. I'm not quite as resilient as I thought I was.

No shame in that at all ARB. Take care of yourself :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back