Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm absolutely sold on this kid's tank. He was 20m off it in race 1 and looks to have blown them away by race three. Smooth smooth runner and I just think back to watching Dylan Moore sprint up and down from a HFF last year and to realise this kid smoked a gut runner like Moore is ridiculous. I don't think he will see much VFL next year

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm absolutely sold on this kid's tank. He was 20m off it in race 1 and looks to have blown them away by race three. Smooth smooth runner and I just think back to watching Dylan Moore sprint up and down from a HFF last year and to realise this kid smoked a gut runner like Moore is ridiculous. I don't think he will see much VFL next year
Wouldn't be suprised if he is in the senior team from round 1 and only misses a couple of games to keep him fresh.

Looks a ready made midfielder which is a long, long time since we drafted one of those (were talking back to Hodgey and Lewis).

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
May be one that never plays a game of VFL the more and more i see the more and more i am committing to the Walsh comparisons

His gut running is going to be a sight to behold at the MCG for years to come!

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
May be one that never plays a game of VFL the more and more i see the more and more i am committing to the Walsh comparisons

His gut running is going to be a sight to behold at the MCG for years to come!

like Cyril’s first vfl game was a grand final?

hawks seem to have lots of serious running power options in the list. Problems going to be giving the preferred options some continuity and not chopping and changing through all the options too much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Let’s see how he goes in the actual match play and note it was only one session. Probably lighter than he needs to be to play afl mid (which helps in the runs) and a number of guys lining up to play wing/hff. Running is only one component - does he have core strength, power, agility, resilience to play against afl bodies every week etc?

Reckon he gets an apprenticeship at box hill. There’s no rush here - we have a 10+ year prospect here - the amount of games he plays next year is not that important.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Let’s see how he goes in the actual match play and note it was only one session. Probably lighter than he needs to be to play afl mid (which helps in the runs) and a number of guys lining up to play wing/hff. Running is only one component - does he have core strength, power, agility, resilience to play against afl bodies every week etc?

Reckon he gets an apprenticeship at box hill. There’s no rush here - we have a 10+ year prospect here - the amount of games he plays next year is not that important.

if his core is as developed as his thighs, he’s not going to be pushed around too much. Robert walls likes this

Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Anything less than the rising star is a fail.

Jk.

Won't be disappointed if he does an apprenticeship if that's what the coaches decide. Just don't see it playing out that way.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
if his core is as developed as his thighs, he’s not going to be pushed around too much. Robert walls likes this
Those thighs remind me a bit of Robert Harvey's build.

Harvey was so strong through his lower body, it's a great asset to have in Aussie Rules. A lower centre of gravity combined with powerful thighs / upper legs makes a player very hard to tackle.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I’m wondering if in the absence of footy in Victoria, draft hopefuls might have hit the gym and done core work, which apparently is hard to do in season

I’m wondering if in the absence of footy in Victoria, draft hopefuls might have hit the gym and done core work, which apparently is hard to do in season

Ward did just that - not sure if it was his core specifically but he wanted to play inside midfield so focussed on building his tank and his physicality, along with studying the way Sam Walsh went about it:

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Dare I say Brad Sewell like in strength?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back