Delisted 25: Flynn Kroeger (2021 - 2023)

....Preetttyyy sure this is the Flynn Kroeger thread...not the 'Josh Hunt toughness rating', thread...

Agreed.....where are those ******* Mods when you need them............

...oh....wait....

Back on topic now, please.

....Preetttyyy sure this is the Flynn Kroeger thread...not the 'Josh Hunt toughness rating', thread...
Anyway, those that know him from Eastern suggest he is like Danger in the way he plays, not Josh Hunt. Explosive and quick, great overhead. I get the JH comparison a bit, by the kicking action, and the marking overhead.

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Flynn Kroeger had ‘no idea’ about the AFL talent pathway

One Geelong draftee had “no idea” about the AFL talent pathway but has been described as having “all the attributes” to be a success at the highest level.

Out goes Kreuger and in comes Kroeger.

Geelong parted ways with Nathan Kreuger during the trade period but has gained a “bargain” in Flynn Kroeger, the unassuming Yarra Valley boy who did not know about the talent pathway to the AFL.

“I just thought you went from playing local footy and senior footy and went into the draft or the clubs just came to you,” Kroeger said as the Cats paraded out this year’s draftees.

“I had no idea about NAB League or anything like that.”

The 183cm midfielder has been limited in the past two years because of Covid and injury but was taken with pick 48 in last week’s draft.

Two-time Essendon premiership player Darren Bewick, who worked with Kroeger at Rowville Secondary College and Eastern Ranges, said he believed he had a future at the highest level.

Bewick said Kroeger had impressed with his uncompromising approach, skills on both sides of his body and determination.

He also said his penetrating kick could make him a “real weapon”.

“He’s desperate to make it,” Bewick said.

“He’s certainly got all the attributes. It would’ve been interesting to see what might have happened had he had a full crack at it.

“I reckon they might’ve got a little bit of a bargain where they actually got him. Hopefully it turns out that way.”

Kroeger debuted in the NAB League with Eastern as a 15-year-old midway through 2019 and said Geelong had shown interest in his talent since then.

But his development has been punctuated by repeated hip injuries.

Two years ago he fractured his left hip “just kicking the footy at school”, which was followed by hip flexor injuries on both sides of his body.

“I haven’t really had the best run but they’re good as gold now,” Kroeger said.

AFL talent ambassador Kevin Sheehan dubbed him “the absolute diamond in the rough” of the national draft.

Bewick said clubs had shown late interest in Kroeger.

“It wasn’t just one club, it was starting to become five, six, of which three were really interested,” he said.

“He’s got attributes to suggest that he can be successful at the next level.”

Flynn Kroeger had ‘no idea’ about the AFL talent pathway

One Geelong draftee had “no idea” about the AFL talent pathway but has been described as having “all the attributes” to be a success at the highest level.

Out goes Kreuger and in comes Kroeger.

Geelong parted ways with Nathan Kreuger during the trade period but has gained a “bargain” in Flynn Kroeger, the unassuming Yarra Valley boy who did not know about the talent pathway to the AFL.

“I just thought you went from playing local footy and senior footy and went into the draft or the clubs just came to you,” Kroeger said as the Cats paraded out this year’s draftees.

“I had no idea about NAB League or anything like that.”

The 183cm midfielder has been limited in the past two years because of Covid and injury but was taken with pick 48 in last week’s draft.

Two-time Essendon premiership player Darren Bewick, who worked with Kroeger at Rowville Secondary College and Eastern Ranges, said he believed he had a future at the highest level.

Bewick said Kroeger had impressed with his uncompromising approach, skills on both sides of his body and determination.

He also said his penetrating kick could make him a “real weapon”.

“He’s desperate to make it,” Bewick said.

“He’s certainly got all the attributes. It would’ve been interesting to see what might have happened had he had a full crack at it.

“I reckon they might’ve got a little bit of a bargain where they actually got him. Hopefully it turns out that way.”

Kroeger debuted in the NAB League with Eastern as a 15-year-old midway through 2019 and said Geelong had shown interest in his talent since then.

But his development has been punctuated by repeated hip injuries.

Two years ago he fractured his left hip “just kicking the footy at school”, which was followed by hip flexor injuries on both sides of his body.

“I haven’t really had the best run but they’re good as gold now,” Kroeger said.

AFL talent ambassador Kevin Sheehan dubbed him “the absolute diamond in the rough” of the national draft.

Bewick said clubs had shown late interest in Kroeger.

“It wasn’t just one club, it was starting to become five, six, of which three were really interested,” he said.

“He’s got attributes to suggest that he can be successful at the next level.”
I was 100% on board until he said he broke his hip kicking the footy. I'd he 90 years old?

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Vdubs was calling a James Parsons a future Captain. Think it's better we hold off on judgement until we see them actually play a few games.

I was 100% on board until he said he broke his hip kicking the footy. I'd he 90 years old?
very common injury in young, power, growing athletes whose tendons pull away at growth plates on the pelvis- no need to jump at shadows

bellpark

All Australian
Aug 18, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Putting aside the Nakia Cockatoo potential with injury, his highlights are really promising, and he looks like he may get a full pre-season in, whereas James Willis will be behind due to his knee injury recovery. Fingers crossed for a strong pre-season as Flynn K has the look of a skillful bull - inside and outside - and his kicking looks really damaging. A little Ollie Winesish maybe.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Putting aside the Nakia Cockatoo potential with injury, his highlights are really promising, and he looks like he may get a full pre-season in, whereas James Willis will be behind due to his knee injury recovery. Fingers crossed for a strong pre-season as Flynn K has the look of a skillful bull - inside and outside - and his kicking looks really damaging. A little Ollie Winesish maybe.

Far superior kick to Wines, IMO

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
A lot of very high praise on a player in here that has had quite limited runs at it... Let's see how he goes, maybe cool the jets on him a bit. Hopefully he is good as people say, but at Pick 47, I am a little bit cautious. Seen a lot of players at the pick 40 range that get discarded after a few years. He doesn't have the same size as Dangerfield or Wines @ 189cm, nor the pace of Dangerfield, he is not at that level I think personally, but he still could be a very good player, let's see.

I remember looking at Jordan Schroeder post the draft at pick 56, and thinking that we have a player that could replace Chapman, and he never got near that level. So I need a lot more proof that they can play at the higher level with Picks post 20ish.

A lot of very high praise on a player in here that has had quite limited runs at it... Let's see how he goes, maybe cool the jets on him a bit. Hopefully he is good as people say, but at Pick 47, I am a little bit cautious. Seen a lot of players at the pick 40 range that get discarded after a few years. He doesn't have the same size as Dangerfield or Wines @ 189cm, nor the pace of Dangerfield, he is not at that level I think personally, but he still could be a very good player, let's see.

I remember looking at Jordan Schroeder post the draft at pick 56, and thinking that we have a player that could replace Chapman, and he never got near that level. So I need a lot more proof that they can play at the higher level with Picks post 20ish.
I thought the same about Linc McCarthy- pick 66.

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

In another thread you compared Ollie Dempsey to Gary Snr and now you're saying let's temper expectations on Kroeger hahaha.

If any of this years kids get a game this year they are talented, I think they will all play VFL this year and no games.
I reckon this kid might surprise a few.

Kobe Gryant

extremely overqualified chemistry teacher
Jul 31, 2021
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
He doesn't have the same size as Dangerfield or Wines @ 189cm

Well yeah, he's 18 years old. Take a look at Danger at the same age.

He's maturely built for his age, but he's not a man mountain with no room to improve. He can and will get bigger, while changing his body composition over the years as all draftees do.

I think a lot of us have fallen into the trap with these more maturely built draftees and thinking they can't get stronger. They can and will, they're far from fully developed. Guys like Kroeger just look bigger when they're next to 18 year olds who have never seen a weight room in their lives.

Back