Change.org petition re games in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi all I have started a change.org petition to the AFL re the merger agreement and games in Melbourne

If you are frustrated like me I'd appreciate you signing. Also I am only one person so I'd appreciate you sharing with your Lions friends and family.

cheers

Mikey

Signed because I do agree it's ridiculous the agreement isn't honored by the people who put the thing together, but I do think a change petition is akin to pissing into the wind.

Not that I disagree with the amount of games that should be played in Melbourne, I don't know if everything in the merger agreement was ever meant to be in perpetuity.

Last edited:
Signed because I do agree it's ridiculous the agreement isn't honored by the people who put the thing together, but I do think a change petition is akin to pissing into the wind.
I can't guarantee this will change anything but if we don't try and do something.....

Also the AFL constantly say the fans are important here is a chance for them to listen to the fans.

Not that I disagree with the amount of games that should be played in Melbourne, I don't know if everything in the merger agreement was ever meant to be in perpetuity.
The way it's drafted has no termination or expiry date. Having said that, some references are clearly out of date - for instance the "not less than 6 games" doesn't reference playing in Melbourne but actually the MCG and Optus Oval (which makes a nonsense that games at Geelong or Ballarat count). Technically though, games at Marvel Stadium also don't count. It also talks about games at Waverley which shows the document's age.

The document itself is quite vague in some respects and reads as though it was drafted in haste, at least with respect to the footy side of things. Given how out of date some references are, it could well be that the parties didn't intend for some aspects to continue forever. Having said that, you'd normally include some sort of "out" clause to deal with changes like new footy grounds, changes to the competition etc.

Interesting also that the deed requires one half of the Lions' premiership games be played at the Gabba. Obviously, during the Gabba reconstruction, that clause isn't going to be able to be complied with either.

The logo is stated that it must be kept in perpetuity is perhaps the reason why the Supreme Court action was remotely possible but other agreements within the merger document aren't as water tight. Like you said it appears to be drafted in haste. Probably over a couple of schooners down at the local.

The logo is stated that it must be kept in perpetuity is perhaps the reason why the Supreme Court action was remotely possible but other agreements within the merger document aren't as water tight. Like you said it appears to be drafted in haste. Probably over a couple of schooners down at the local.

Why the f@@k do we still have only paddlepop polos then?

Hey guys looking to habd out flyers to Lions fans next Friday night and at the Essendon game to try and really get this petition going.

Only thing is I am hopeless when it comes to designing flyers

Just wondering if anyone here would be able to design some flyers and I will get them printed.

If you can help please reply on here or PM me.

Cheers

Mikey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back