Competitions Health and fitness

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think the Physio’s and trainers pushed me too hard too early :(

mad pain when I walk, Wednesday is the last session with the knights, it’s been a great experience hey but onto bigger and better things

It's always hard to tell whether it's just pain that isn't causing further damage or whether you should pull it back

It's always hard to tell whether it's just pain that isn't causing further damage or whether you should pull it back
Yep, that’s what they told me but they also got me back one week earlier than I should have. It’s like sharp pains radiating down my foot

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think the Physio’s and trainers pushed me too hard too early :(

mad pain when I walk, Wednesday is the last session with the knights, it’s been a great experience hey but onto bigger and better things
Gotta get ontop of that recovery too.
Probably doesn't help that you're on your feet all the time at work, not sure of your hours but comfortable work shoes can be a huge factor.
Some of us just learn to manage the pain and symptoms, hopefully you don't get to that stage. Gotta stretch as much as you can even on the off days.

Gotta get ontop of that recovery too.
Probably doesn't help that you're on your feet all the time at work, not sure of your hours but comfortable work shoes can be a huge factor.
Some of us just learn to manage the pain and symptoms, hopefully you don't get to that stage. Gotta stretch as much as you can even on the off days.
mate recovery has been my priority from the minute I did it.

I have a prescribed program I have to follow every day and I do a hydrotherapy session each week at MSAC.

I wear ASICS and a brace to work, have to foam roll my calves and glutes every day and I’ve literally been seeing 2 people for this issue. At this stage it’s not knowing about the pain and symptoms, it’s about knowing what’s actually wrong with my foot, then adjusting my plan and recovery from there. Because my ATFL sprain shouldn’t be radiating to the upper lateral side of my foot, said by the s&c coach.

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
mate recovery has been my priority from the minute I did it.

I have a prescribed program I have to follow every day and I do a hydrotherapy session each week at MSAC.

I wear ASICS and a brace to work, have to foam roll my calves and glutes every day and I’ve literally been seeing 2 people for this issue. At this stage it’s not knowing about the pain and symptoms, it’s about knowing what’s actually wrong with my foot, then adjusting my plan and recovery from there. Because my ATFL sprain shouldn’t be radiating to the upper lateral side of my foot, said by the s&c coach.

Can't remember, did you get scans done and xrays done?

****Ing hell don't get me started on the cuboid. Don't even know how and when mine happened just woke up and couldn't walk for weeks
It kills hey

they tried to put like a foam thingy in my shoe but a lot of pain and she was digging her finger and her nail into it 🥲

If it helps mine got better after 3 weeks of rest and then gradually building up some easy runs.
Okay sick! She just told me to take anti inflammatories for a few days and then book an appointment

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
I went to physio today. He told me I should be right to play cricket this weekend.

I didn't tell him I've played the last 2 weeks.😉

Yeah you can’t stop playing.

Years ago I was on workcover for my back but was still playing footy 😆

Just got the email that I didn’t make the knights squad, it was very obvious since I was injured 4/6 weeks of the training hahahaha.

now we move onto bigger and better things, I’ve got a lot of things I wanna get doing like cycling which I’m super excited to be starting. I want to be as fit as possible!!

just getting another season also under my belt with help heaps to then go hard in 2023 for VFLW

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anyone got a basic gym schedule I could poach?
Trying to push myself to start it up tomorrow.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Knocked another 17 seconds off my 5km PB and have been doing a few 10km runs. Also managed to bring my 2km time trial down to 8:20.

Been balancing that with 2-3 big compound lifting sessions per week. I have a new admiration for football players of all codes. It's so hard to get your body right for sprint or interval work when you're also lifting big.

Knocked another 17 seconds off my 5km PB and have been doing a few 10km runs. Also managed to bring my 2km time trial down to 8:20.

Been balancing that with 2-3 big compound lifting sessions per week. I have a new admiration for football players of all codes. It's so hard to get your body right for sprint or interval work when you're also lifting big.
What rep range are you implementing when your lifting?

5x5 until a get close to what I used to push back in my bodybuilding/powerlifting days. Then I'll switch to a periodization program.
Makes sense, never did over 5+ reps when lifting heavy and never felt more explosive in my life.

do you also implement any box work? Like weighted or resisted band step up? I usually pair them as a superset like

5x3 RDL + 4 (EL)x4 weighted step up

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Makes sense, never did over 5+ reps when lifting heavy and never felt more explosive in my life.

do you also implement any box work? Like weighted or resisted band step up? I usually pair them as a superset like

5x3 RDL + 4 (EL)x4 weighted step up

I reckon I would die if I added box or even plyo work to this load 😂

I'm still not sure what position I'll be playing so I guess that'll be the determinant of how I train, once I get an idea of that.

To all the cyclists out there, what should I be investing in (apart from a carbon fibre bike in the future🤪)

For Christmas I am getting just a basic road bike. I was looking at getting Garmin edge 130 plus, any suggestions on better ones?

because the road bike I am going to get doesn’t have the clip pedals should I get them now?

also I was thinking to maximise my training is to get a VO2 and Lactate test done, I have been watching a lot of Cam Nicholls and the place he goes to both tests combined costs around $200. It will also give me a range of my training zones instead of roughly estimating.

should I also invest in a indoor trainer? For like zwift?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Went out for a weighted run (45kg rucksack) this morning but at the 35km mark felt a slight calf pull. Had been doing 3:00 kms until then.

Changed tack and trained inside after that. Did 2x bodyweight chins (TT held on to me like a koala to provide the load (ahem)) for about 10 sets.

Felt there was still a bit left in the tank after that so threw in a superset of squats and deadlifts. Olympic bar, 200kg in plates slapped on. Thought I was moving it a bit too ballistically so added some bands just to "keep it honest".

Don't actually own a squat rack so cleaned it up and overhead for the squat sets. That probably took at least 50% off what I could've used for the work sets.

Finished with a 55 minute high intensity kickboxing circuit as a warm-down.

#humblebrag

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Went out for a weighted run (45kg rucksack) this morning but at the 35km mark felt a slight calf pull. Had been doing 3:00 kms until then.

Changed tack and trained inside after that. Did 2x bodyweight chins (TT held on to me like a koala to provide the load (ahem)) for about 10 sets.

Felt there was still a bit left in the tank after that so threw in a superset of squats and deadlifts. Olympic bar, 200kg in plates slapped on. Thought I was moving it a bit too ballistically so added some bands just to "keep it honest".

Don't actually own a squat rack so cleaned it up and overhead for the squat sets. That probably took at least 50% off what I could've used for the work sets.

#humblebrag

Most legit story on this thread 🤣

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

#humblebrag
You told me you just did clean and jerks?

Back