News Swans Talk in the Media: 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Announcement: Swans YouTube Channel
So thanks to the awesome Kennedy Parker you will notice a sticky post at the top of the pages now. This link will take you directly to the Swans YouTube channel which features interviews etc.

Five Thursday/Friday night games in the first 10 rounds of the year... wowee.

Including West Coast in Perth! I can't believe I'm actually going to witness our first 200 point win in the flesh!
I hate Thursday night games at home... there's absolutely no way I can get there... :(

I hate Thursday night games at home... there's absolutely no way I can get there... :(

Have you tried getting there via Hell? Or if that fails, high water?

(In all seriousness, that sucks KS :( You don't reckon you'd be able to link up with any of your fellow NSW folk to arrange a lift or something?)

Have you tried getting there via Hell? Or if that fails, high water?

(In all seriousness, that sucks KS :( You don't reckon you'd be able to link up with any of your fellow NSW folk to arrange a lift or something?)
You'd think wouldn't you...

This issue is that I now live 4 hours (in non-peak, or 5 in peak) away from the ground, and travel there every second weekend anyway to watch the swans play at home. To do it on a Thursday, means a half day off work on Thursday, crashing somewhere, and then another half day off work on Friday...

Thursday night games only work if you're within an hour and half of the ground, which is great if you live in Melbourne, but not so crash hot in Sydney. Plenty of our members come from the Penrith, Woollongong and Gosford, which are all within about a 90 min radius of the ground. But plenty more come from the South Coast, Newcastle, and the Blue Mountains, which is at least 2 - 2.5 hours away, and then there's the fanatics, who literally travel for hours.

I've paid for a 5 year membership, with 11 home games at over $600 per year, and they've put at least two of those 11 games on a Thursday!!! I get that I'm an outlier, and they can't arrange the games for people like me, but it sucks!!! I go to every game, rain, hail or shine, and they put it on a Thursday to attract the blow-ins...

Sorry to whinge, but most people I know don't have a clue about AFL, and can't get past the fact that I pay for membership instead of just paying to get in when I feel like going. They have no idea... at least you guys are likely to understand my disappointment!

Rant over... thank you for giving me the opportunity to get it off my chest! :)

Go BLOODS!! :largeredcircle::mwcirlce::largeredcircle::mwcirlce:

This issue is that I now live 4 hours (in non-peak, or 5 in peak) away from the ground, and travel there every second weekend anyway to watch the swans play at home. To do it on a Thursday, means a half day off work on Thursday, crashing somewhere, and then another half day off work on Friday...

Thursday night games only work if you're within an hour and half of the ground, which is great if you live in Melbourne, but not so crash hot in Sydney. Plenty of our members come from the Penrith, Woollongong and Gosford, which are all within about a 90 min radius of the ground. But plenty more come from the South Coast, Newcastle, and the Blue Mountains, which is at least 2 - 2.5 hours away, and then there's the fanatics, who literally travel for hours.

I've paid for a 5 year membership, with 11 home games at over $600 per year, and they've put at least two of those 11 games on a Thursday!!! I get that I'm an outlier, and they can't arrange the games for people like me, but it sucks!!! I go to every game, rain, hail or shine, and they put it on a Thursday to attract the blow-ins...

Sorry to whinge, but most people I know don't have a clue about AFL, and can't get past the fact that I pay for membership instead of just paying to get in when I feel like going. They have no idea... at least you guys are likely to understand my disappointment!

It may be a rant but it's a fair one. Living as far away as you do, it's a great effort to get to any game let alone all of them. Well done.
We live about an hour & half away from Melbourne and I find that long enough.

Just love your passion , GO BLOODS

couple of songs by brandon jack and the artifacts

I get the rant Kirksy as someone that has to drive 90mins + to get to the games, but aren't our Thursday night games away this year?

I get the rant Kirksy as someone that has to drive 90mins + to get to the games, but aren't our Thursday night games away this year?
There's only one Thursday night match so far. Round 3 against the Dogs at Marvel.
So Kirksy doesn't really have anything to worry about yet.
Okay, so now I'm feeling like an idiot... whatever I was looking at last night had 4 Thursday night games, 2 away and 2 at home, but now I see the official site says that only up to round 9 is confirmed! I think my rant may have been all for nothing... :oops: But I do hate Thursday night games!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans to receive a small increase in funding according to this article

Jake Niall this morning:

"The Sydney Swans have recovered from a troubling $6.1 million loss in 2020 and are no longer one of the AFL’s financially “assisted” clubs.

Having lost $6.1m, depleting all their cash reserves of $4.5m and forcing them to borrow $1.5m from the AFL last year, the Swans have managed a significant turnaround by wiping off their debt to the league and becoming financially independent, or what the AFL terms an “unassisted club” during the pandemic.

The Sydney Swans have recovered from a troubling $6.1 million loss in 2020 and are no longer one of the AFL’s financially “assisted” clubs.

Having lost $6.1m, depleting all their cash reserves of $4.5m and forcing them to borrow $1.5m from the AFL last year, the Swans have managed a significant turnaround by wiping off their debt to the league and becoming financially independent, or what the AFL terms an “unassisted club” during the pandemic."

Club has released the headline figures

The Swans had a Statutory Net Profit of $54,598

- Operating Profit of $2,308,667 prior to the inclusion of $2,254,069 of expenses relating to our development at the Royal Hall of Industries.
- Able to repay the loan incurred to the AFL during 2020 before 31/10/2021 and debt free
- Operating Revenue increased year on year by 39% to $42.5million
- Sponsorship and Hospitality revenue of $15.2m (up from $10.8m in 2020)

Last edited:
Given the fact it was such a bad loss it is safe to say there are some not so great Swans names in that game too.
Mark Bayes , Paul Kelly Derek Kickett Dale Lewis kicked 6 early etc. The club was just about at it's lowest , s**t crowd , Kenny in full flight and the great Mike Willesee in the stand

Pre-season practice matches
Sydney v GWS Giants
Matches will be held across the last two weekends of February. Clubs to decide on venue, time, date and the format of each game, including number of players, number of quarters, quarter length.

AAMI Community Series
Sunday March 6
Greater Western Sydney v Collingwood at Giants Stadium, 12.40pm AEDT
Sydney v North Melbourne at Giants Stadium, 4.20pm AEDT
Format and game length as per those in place for the 2022 AFL premiership season.

Pre-season practice matches
Sydney v GWS Giants
Matches will be held across the last two weekends of February. Clubs to decide on venue, time, date and the format of each game, including number of players, number of quarters, quarter length.

AAMI Community Series
Sunday March 6
Greater Western Sydney v Collingwood at Giants Stadium, 12.40pm AEDT
Sydney v North Melbourne at Giants Stadium, 4.20pm AEDT
Format and game length as per those in place for the 2022 AFL premiership season.
Would like to hear something about VFL preseason.

A lazybits article, like popcorn easily consumed and left between the seats

A lazybits article, like popcorn easily consumed and left between the seats
As the Christmas season envelopes us Ticky I'd like to say a HUGE thankyou for all the work you do on this forum that makes it so much easier for the rest of us. Have a lovely Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back