Vale Dean K (Deaneus) :Who's seen the movie Empire Records?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Unfortunately our beloved overlord Deaneus! is approaching the end stage of his health battle.

From Deaneus:
doctors said last week there’s nothing else they can do, and I’ve been told to go home and rest and say goodbyes etc. their time frame is “short”.

I haven't seen Empire Records but apparently there is a scene with a "eulogy for the living" that we thought we'd adopt here.

Rather than have a sombre post from one of the Mods in the future announcing the news we're all dreading, followed by an outpouring of touching posts where we reminisce about all the good times and nefarious deeds but that Deaneus will never see... we thought we could have our own "Eulogy for the Living" in this thread.

Thank you to 1970crow for the idea (he messaged me in a slender window between lengthy bans).

So post now whatever you would say afterwards.

BigFooty is a better place for having him and won't be the same without him. His initial announcement shocked us all on the Adelaide board but it was illuminating that the thread attracted such a broad cross section of the BF community. His impact has been far reaching.

Actually if you want to tee off on him about how he has wronged you in the past that would be fine too. Maybe there's some gripe you haven't been able to get off your chest due to his Mod powers? Would be much funnier than just teary heartfelt mush.

xxoo

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
When deaneus was first made a moderator on the very first day one of the BF Head Honcho Mods (can't remember which one) had to give him a clip over the ears.

Apparently deaneus had that day created an alias account and was trolling the Bulldogs board. It was during the Beveridge/Talia Brothers hilarity I think.

Given that I'd recommended him I felt partially responsible (and proud). I also thought it would be the shortest moderator stint ever. Since arrowman anyway.

The tactful advice from above to deaneus was that this was "Probably not a good idea."

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
This news sucks :(

This kind of thing is always a bit weird, because we've been posting in the same space as each other for years, and I've spent hours of my life reading his posts, but I don't really know Deaneus any more than I know the rest of you. He started moderating after I stopped (was he my replacement, even?) so I didn't get to hang out at the exclusive, mod-only pool parties with him. I don't even have any good anecdotes about Deaneus to share. He was just an excellent poster whose posts I always enjoyed reading, who always injected just the right amount of humour into his posts and his moderating.

I guess if it can honestly be said that you'll be genuinely missed by hundreds of people, most of which you never met, that's got to mean something, right?

I was not expecting this when opening the thread. Gutting to be honest.

Since I joined BigFooty more than seven years ago I've read every single post made on the Adelaide main board. Probably hundreds of thousands of posts. Only an idiot would bother reading literally all of the garbage posted on here, but I'm that idiot. I never leave a thread unread.

Now to read so many posts, I have to take some liberties with the meaning of the word "read". I do read some of the posts, but I also skim over a lot of them, especially from the garbage tier posters who clog up threads and add nothing of value. No one is on ignore, but I have laser vision for ignoring crappy posts.

Some posters are quality though and I never skip over what they have to say. It's that group of people on here that make you want to return and be part of the community. It's what I love about this place.

I never skipped over a deaneus post

Dec 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Some posters are quality though and I never skip over what they have to say. It's that group of people on here that make you want to return and be part of the community. It's what I love about this place.

I never skipped over a deaneus post
I made my post before reading this, it's just so true.

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Legs, Wests Tigers
Bloody awful news. Deanus almost always struck an ideal blend of humour, humility and salience that made his posts compelling reading.

That he could maintain that persona up until very recently, in spite of some pretty heavy personal issues he's obviously been dreaming with, speaks volumes.

Thoughts go out to him and his family.

I don't have much to say besides; thanks Deaneus! for just being you.

When the time comes just know there will be a big hole left on bigfooty and you will be missed dearly.

I hope your loved ones will find peace.

Sep 8, 2008
Pacific Northwest
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Seattle Seahawks
Damn, this sucks. You always wonder if your bigfooty impression of someone is the same as the impression they give people in real life, especially when they seem like someone you'd want to meet and have a beer or two with. I reckon Deaneus falls into this category and that's a rarity.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rampant lefty this bloke, but in a good way. Someone that actually cared about the environment and put in effort on the ground. Not like the new age twitter environmentalists. And a seemingly talented accountant to boot. And an awesome sense of humour, footy knowledge and practical intelligence. A rare package and one of the greats.

I’ll never forget him dressing me down after a ranting response to a suspension. But never held a grudge and was very reasonable with the numerous minor infringements and “be carefuls” that followed.

Feel for him and obviously his family, hound and friends. Rest peacefully Deaneus, we’ll miss you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rest easy Deaneus. Your Witt and humour will be missed around these parts. Like others have mentioned your posts were the ones I didn't skim read, always either insightful or funny.

Hopefully there's a Crows bar upstairs for you to join us in watching this group take us to the holy grail and you are watching when it happens.
If you could occasionally go to the preview thread section of heaven to preview / advise (assuming you get Back To The Future Almanac inside information up there) us of the result that would be good too.

Having had a chance to get to know him a bit better than I do on here, I have to say he is a true WYSIWYG. Witty, charming, ******* hilarious at times. In many ways we’ve been lucky to have him for as long as we have, he’s put up such a tremendous bloody fight. I told him he should go kicking and screaming to the very end! Thank you Deaneus! We’ll miss you. ❤️💙💛

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
After I shut down EC the reason I reactivated CE was to send Deaneus a message once I read the news, so you have him to blame I treaded back on to the board.

We had our battles being a leftie and I copped my fair share of infringements but most all deserved. Must be frustrating having to ban grown adults for being naughty and you could sense his frustration.

Has a wicked sense of humour and wit and knew his footy.

Will be sorely missed.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Posting on a forum with a bunch of anonymous strangers is a weird thing to do. Without the human contact and context it makes it hard to fathom wanting to get to know other posters in real life.

There are very few posters that I genuinely feel I'd like to be around in real life. Deaneus you're one of them. If you're somehow able to be liked by people who have never met you or heard you speak, then I think you've done a lot right.

Peace Deaneus

Last edited:

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,
For someone who has pretty well been a daily lurker but occasional contributor for the last 16 years, I echo the comments about stopping to read certain posters comments, and that Deaneus is certainly one of those.

There is a weird feeling about this news, as I have never met the man, but still feel a certain level of grief as Bigfooty is a part of my life that I go to each day to pass the time, and to listen to the opinions of others, good or bad. To lose one of the good ones certainly is a sad day for BF.

Wait, hang on a minute... is Deaneus another alias for Alex??? :cool::cool::cool:

Seriously though, if you do get to read this Deaneus. Thank you for everything you have done on this board. You will be missed.

Thank you Deaneus! for making it appear I was moderating and controlling the Carlton thread on here when we were actively trolling them during the good old days when Brendan was coaching them and we had Pick 1 momentarily. This just made the Carlton posters more angry and furious, I enjoyed reading their melts on their board.

GrommoT I loved how Deaneus! gave you free reign on that infamous thread too. Your best work was in that infamous thread.

Deaneus! you also were responsible for giving me my only award on Bigfooty. It should come as no surprise you gave me the Carlton meme privately to post on here and win the award.

I will always enjoy my gelatissimo ice cream thinking of you!

I also liked it when you banned me on here and then a minute later said it was just a prank. :D

Fun Facts with Grotto

Deaneus! you are a great moderator.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Just a genuine good bloke - even tempered, positive, good humoured.

We shared some similar lefty ways of viewing the world, and a while ago I lost my cool on one of politics threads and said something dumb I've now forgotten. Deaneus sent me a message heartily agreeing with what I said while also giving me a temporary thread ban.

That's probably a good example of the moderate, decent bloke he was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back