List Mgmt. Adelaide Crows 2021 List Management thread

Will the Crows pick up any of these players in the off-season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

With only 6 main listed players out of contract (Walker, Himmelberg, Frampton, Hinge, Rowe, Gollant), and needing to upgrade Butts and Strachan, I wonder if we are expecting list sizes to increase next year.
The AFL promised that they'd go back to normal in 2022. They lied. They've also promised that they'll go back to normal in 2023. Is anyone holding their breath in anticipation?

You'd have to think that Walker will retire, and only 1 of Billy/Berg will survive (probably Berg), and Rowe needs someone to give him a dictionary for Christmas - so he can find out what the word "defence" means. We only have our 1st & 2nd round draft picks, so we won't be making many selections in the ND.

Fingers crossed we get a 1st round pick, using our 2nd to match a bid on Michelanney (F/S). That, and the Strachan/Butts upgrades, would potentially finish our ND in the first round.

The AFL promised that they'd go back to normal in 2022. They lied. They've also promised that they'll go back to normal in 2023. Is anyone holding their breath in anticipation?

You'd have to think that Walker will retire, and only 1 of Billy/Berg will survive (probably Berg), and Rowe needs someone to give him a dictionary for Christmas - so he can find out what the word "defence" means. We only have our 1st & 2nd round draft picks, so we won't be making many selections in the ND.

Fingers crossed we get a 1st round pick, using our 2nd to match a bid on Michelanney (F/S). That, and the Strachan/Butts upgrades, would potentially finish our ND in the first round.

I list sizes return to normal Murray may Ned to be upgraded as well so a fourth delisting required

Sounds like Rowe has had a good off season (as you would expect), I still think there is a player in him.

Why are you leaning towards Berg? Given its a battle of the 2nd tier don't contracts win these battles? (I am assuming here Billy has 22 and 23 left)

I list sizes return to normal Murray may Ned to be upgraded as well so a fourth delisting required
Ummm... if list sizes return to normal, then that effectively reduces the number of (senior list) delistings required by 2.

Well heck, this is a toss of the coin situation.

Thanks for that
It's really not a toss of the coin. Berg has been inconsistent in his efforts, but has shown the ability to perform in the forward line. Billy has proven beyond doubt that he's completely incapable of playing in the forward line, and is at best 3rd or 4th in line for a Key Defender position. Assuming we're only keeping one of them, then it's a complete no-brainer that we'll be saying "bye bye Billy" at the end of 2022.

It's really not a toss of the coin. Berg has been inconsistent in his efforts, but has shown the ability to perform in the forward line. Billy has proven beyond doubt that he's completely incapable of playing in the forward line, and is at best 3rd or 4th in line for a Key Defender position. Assuming we're only keeping one of them, then it's a complete no-brainer that we'll be saying "bye bye Billy" at the end of 2022.

I'm not sure either survive really, especiallyif blokes like Murray come on and Borlase even looks close to making it. I originally thought Billy had 1 more year hence the question.

I'm not sure either survive really, especiallyif blokes like Murray come on and Borlase even looks close to making it. I originally thought Billy had 1 more year hence the question.
Possible that neither survive. My assertion was that at least one of them would go, and Berg was the more likely of the two to survive. I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of both being cut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, Billy has shown he is potentially competent as a defender and a ruckman.

Berg hasn't shown possible competence in any area yet.

Billy has shown enough competence to be a break glass in case of emergency defender, and at his age that's not enough to justify a position on the list. Billy is rubbish, and his delisting will be the easiest list management decision of 2022.

Berg has shown competence to suggest he could hold down a Key Forward slot, provided he doesn't slack off again (like he did after his late 2020 surge).

Billy has shown enough competence to be a break glass in case of emergency defender, and at his age that's not enough to justify a position on the list. Billy is rubbish, and his delisting will be the easiest list management decision of 2022.

Berg has shown competence to suggest he could hold down a Key Forward slot, provided he doesn't slack off again (like he did after his late 2020 surge).
...and sadly, despite his draft position, the one to have shown the least to date is possibly McAsey, although he does have a fraction further to run on his contract. Hope he can pick things up quickly from here and turn things around.

...and sadly, despite his draft position, the one to have shown the least to date is possibly McAsey, although he does have a fraction further to run on his contract. Hope he can pick things up quickly from here and turn things around.
"McAsey sidelined with stress fracture ... the injury is not expected to impact McAsey's season"

Another interrupted pre-season. The bolded bit could be taken one of two ways - the injury is minimal, or the expectation for McAsey to be playing AFL in round 1 just wasn't there.

Ummm... if list sizes return to normal, then that effectively reduces the number of (senior list) delistings required by 2.

We are currently at 37and 5 if it goes to 40 and 6 that is only one more if Murray can only have two years on rookie list he take that place leaving two draft picks Strauchan and Butts needing places ie 4 delistings

List sizes are currently:
Senior: 36-38 (we have 37)
Rookie: 4-6 (we have 5)
Maximum total: 42

If they return to normal:
Senior: 38-40
Rookie: 4-6
Maximum total: 44

Essentially, it's the reinstatement of 2x additional positions on the senior list. That's 2 positions we can fill, without needing to delist a single player. We can promote Butts & Strachan without delisting anyone, and (having upgraded 2x rookies) we would only need to make 1x selection at the ND (though we'd probably make at least 2). We would need to delist/trade/FA 1 player to create that vacancy for the ND.

Also, Murray is allowed 3x years on the rookie list, even under the old rules. Unlike Strachan & Butts, there is no imperative at all for upgrading him in 2022.

I don't think Billy is half as bad as some on here make out but you're stretching it a bit IMO...he's value only as back up/break glass option as a Ruckman, very ordinary as a forward at AFL level....his one big chance is to prove he's a genuine AFL player is as a KPD where he showed something this season but I wouldn't be holding my breath there either at this point in time.

I don't think Billy is half as bad as some on here make out but you're stretching it a bit IMO...he's value only as back up/break glass option as a Ruckman, very ordinary as a forward at AFL level....his one big chance is to prove he's a genuine AFL player is as a KPD where he showed something this season but I wouldn't be holding my breath there either at this point in time.
Yeah, look - fair enough.

The word "potentially" is doing a LOT of work in my post ...

"McAsey sidelined with stress fracture ... the injury is not expected to impact McAsey's season"

Another interrupted pre-season. The bolded bit could be taken one of two ways - the injury is minimal, or the expectation for McAsey to be playing AFL in round 1 just wasn't there.

The other way is that they define 'impact' as missing games rather than reduced quality of performance following an incomplete preseason.

Having Surgery in Mid December and not being able to return to training until February - will of course impact his season.

Its a shame. I was hoping this would be his year.

Having Surgery in Mid December and not being able to return to training until February - will of course impact his season.

Its a shame. I was hoping this would be his year.
You don't do surgery on a stress fracture do you???? I thought he was just to ease off, run on the Alter G and then get back into proper running, all over 5-7 weeks or something like that??

Back