Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
From the female singer canon, this may be the most challenging listen I've ever had.

Billy had pretty much been beaten up by life by this stage, her voice was shot. The Ray Ellis orchestration was profoundly sorrowful. I am still not sure what to make of the album, it is extremely sad listening to the remnants of the voice, it works emotionally, but I also feel this is the last squeeze of the rag extracting the final drop from Billy by the industry.

This contrasts with Johnny Cash' final releases, eg Hurt, his voice not what it was but still delivers the required affect and emotional / spiritual revelation. Cash didn't make me feel sorry for him, I admired him the more for those last records, but in Billy's case, I just felt deeply sad for her.

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
From the female singer canon, this may be the most challenging listen I've ever had.

Billy had pretty much been beaten up by life by this stage, her voice was shot. The Ray Ellis orchestration was profoundly sorrowful. I am still not sure what to make of the album, it is extremely sad listening to the remnants of the voice, it works emotionally, but I also feel this is the last squeeze of the rag extracting the final drop from Billy by the industry.

This contrasts with Johnny Cash' final releases, eg Hurt, his voice not what it was but still delivers the required affect and emotional / spiritual revelation. Cash didn't make me feel sorry for him, I admired him the more for those last records, but in Billy's case, I just felt deeply sad for her.

Yep.
It was bad enough to be born black in early 20th USA let alone also enduring the dysfunctional childhood Billie had.
Didn't have too much happiness in her life. Had an element of self-destructiveness as well but who can judge her for that?
It is interesting you showcased Billie.
Angelina (the girl in the mash-up with Ella) openly states that, if not for hearing and listening as a 3 year old to Billie, she never
would have pursued singing. Billie is her inspiration.
This is Angelina as a 7 year old on Norway's GT singing I'm a Fool to Want You.
BTW: You and Hoos confuse me with your almost interchangeable user-names.

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Yep.
It was bad enough to be born black in early 20th USA let alone also enduring the dysfunctional childhood Billie had.
Didn't have too much happiness in her life. Had an element of self-destructiveness as well but who can judge her for that?
It is interesting you showcased Billie.
Angelina (the girl in the mash-up with Ella) openly states that, if not for hearing and listening as a 3 year old to Billie, she never
would have pursued singing. Billie is her inspiration.
This is Angelina as a 7 year old on Norway's GT singing I'm a Fool to Want You.
BTW: You and Hoos confuse me with your almost interchangeable user-names.

Well Hoos and I may share pristine musical sensibilities, but when it comes to supporting footy teams, one of us is miles ahead of the other.

My ol man introed me to Billy in the cradle, I Get Along Without You was probably the first song I knew the words to. I don't know much about Angelina, but refreshing to hear the knowledge and interest in past greats.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I think I did not pay much respect to Divinyls originally because I assumed due to performance of the lead singer it was just a stupid theme band like many bands were in 70's and 80's and her theme was to pull faces and all types. But decades later I actually listen to more of their music and think they a great rock band that I should have respected like Midnight Oil, The Angels, Cold Chisel, AC/DC, Rose Tattoo and other great Aussie rock bands of era just before them. Given The Angels and Midnight Oil also had theatrical front men I should have not pigeon holed them.
It’s a bit the same with blondie

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
It’s a bit the same with blondie
Blondie was a bit before my time and not Aussie rock band. I kick myself I never made a point of seeing Divinyls when I know now, I should have.
There are not many bands I missed seeing but now regret. That one I should have as they were around in late 80's when I had the chance in my youth to go see lots of live gigs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Blondie was a bit before my time and not Aussie rock band. I kick myself I never made a point of seeing Divinyls when I know now, I should have.
There are not many bands I missed seeing but now regret. That one I should have as they were around in late 80's when I had the chance in my youth to go see lots of live gigs.

I saw Chrissy live twice, yep, you missed out. Sadly The Divinyls were amongst a list of 80's bands and artists that never looked like making outside our shores, but I suggest this had little to do with their talent or following.

More of an historical fact, than unpopular opinion, but (with rare exceptions) a lot of Aus/NZ bands and artists of this era were so poorly managed and promoted they never had a real opportunity for international success. To name a few; The Angels/Crowded House/Australian Crawl/Black Sorrows/Hunters and Collectors/Paul Kelly/Cold Chisel/Dragon/Icehouse.

Example - here is two, just two examples of very different but classic tracks that somehow did not chart in the US or UK...?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
The Divinyls are one of my favourite Aussie bands but unfortunately I never got to see them live either. They did have some success overseas with I Touch Myself, I remember hearing it played on the radio in the States when I was living there around 20 years ago so it was a reasonably big hit there.

Crowded House also had quite a bit of success overseas and had several hits in the US, Canada and the UK as well.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Angels left Alberts as they thought they, particularly by Young and Vanda, were holding them back from making it in America. We'll never know what could've been, but they can't say in hindsight that was the case.

Rose Tattoo done a little bit of ok and influenced a young Axl Rose.

Hoodoo Gurus done ok in the college scene.

Obviously AC/DC and INXS conquered the world.

Little River Band strangely made it big too, as did Men at Work.

Divinyls made a decent dent later in career along with Midnight Oil.

The one that I reckon should have been huge was Baby Animals. Unfortunately they came too late, after grunge took off. Them and Buffalo in the 70s, playing great Sabbath style metal, but they barely made it at home. Maybe Dragon were pretty good too, very catchy pop rock.

Hunters and collectors and Chisel were just too Australian I think for the yanks to get. Chisel turned their back on the opportunity too, the industry wanted to get them a go but they weren't interested.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Farnham had a crack too and done a bit of soundtrack work on American films trying to get big over there. Made some cool stuff.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Farnham had a crack too and done a bit of soundtrack work on American films trying to get big over there. Made some cool stuff.

I'm not aware of Farnham 'having a crack in the US', aside from recording a handful of songs for a few US movies during the 80's. He may have performed at a few small clubs during this time, but never a concert of any type.

From what I've read, JF actually had little interest in pursing the US or other international markets, despite several lucrative offers during his peak years as a performer. In 1991, he did tour the UK and Germany either as the main act or supporting others for a few months.

In 2006 he joined Stevie Nicks on her Gold Dust tour of Aus and NZ. She thought he was a phenomenal singer and live performer and urged him to consider a US tour, which she would provide all the introductions and contacts for.
So on this basis, JF and management flew to LA/US later that year to explore related options. However they soon discovered the commercial arrangements with CBS were not just unfavorable, they were borderline ridiculous/insulting being similar to what a new potential unknown act would be offered. For example, CBS's tour management group would cover all tour costs but in terms of profit, Farnham would only be entitled to pre-tax 20c on the dollar..!
There was also another page outlining share/ownership of publishing rights if a concert was recorded, percentage revenues from TV appearances, promotional fees, product endorsements, tour apparel etc.

According to JF, they left the last meeting sarcastically saying they would consider the offer - then they when sight-seeing for two days and when no one tried to contact them to follow up, they just got on plane and flew back to Australia...

A reminder of JF at his peak, singing his iconic 'Age Of Reason' with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra - a track written by Todd Hunter, the other brother of Dragon fame. While I've never been a huge JF fan, there is no denying this man could sing...

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Angels left Alberts as they thought they, particularly by Young and Vanda, were holding them back from making it in America. We'll never know what could've been, but they can't say in hindsight that was the case.

Rose Tattoo done a little bit of ok and influenced a young Axl Rose.

Hoodoo Gurus done ok in the college scene.

Obviously AC/DC and INXS conquered the world.

Little River Band strangely made it big too, as did Men at Work.

Divinyls made a decent dent later in career along with Midnight Oil.

The one that I reckon should have been huge was Baby Animals. Unfortunately they came too late, after grunge took off. Them and Buffalo in the 70s, playing great Sabbath style metal, but they barely made it at home. Maybe Dragon were pretty good too, very catchy pop rock.

Hunters and collectors and Chisel were just too Australian I think for the yanks to get. Chisel turned their back on the opportunity too, the industry wanted to get them a go but they weren't interested.

Bang on. As a teenage boy, Suzi Demarchi was a goddess to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back