Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn’t seem like a good enough reason but to be fair I live inner suburbs so lots of options for food are close. Probably the convenience is a bigger factor in other suburbs.
Perhaps a little bit but that's a bit simplistic

I lived in Essendon for 6 & 1/2 years and the Maccas and KFC would always be pumping despite there being hundreds of small food places in very close proximity

Sometimes I find myself not wanting to get out of the car so I go through a drive through place.

Or other times I'm in a new area and want something to eat but I don't want to risk going to a small place and not liking the food, whereas with the chains you know exactly what you are getting.

Or I want my food right now, so going into a place and waiting 10-15 minutes by the time they cook the food is a hassle because either (a) I'm starving or (b) I'm time poor

Even now I'm in the inner west or even when I worked in the city I would find myself going out for lunch and more times than not ending up with subway or a burrito (from Mad Mex). Mad Mex is probably my favorite of the current chains

That doesn’t seem like a good enough reason but to be fair I live inner suburbs so lots of options for food are close. Probably the convenience is a bigger factor in other suburbs.
Most suburban shopping strips should have at least one good cheap takeaway like you said. It's generally the case in Canberra so I assume bigger places like Sydney and Melbourne would have even more options.
But I think what Stinger says is right. It's easy and you know what you're getting with a chain (and they have the coin to market themselves more broadly).

Most suburban shopping strips should have at least one good cheap takeaway like you said. It's generally the case in Canberra so I assume bigger places like Sydney and Melbourne would have even more options.
But I think what Stinger says is right. It's easy and you know what you're getting with a chain (and they have the coin to market themselves more broadly).
Yep this

Before I travelled overseas I swore never to get chain food in Europe or Asia or where ever (In America I had to do the chains). But I often would find myself not wanting to think about what I was getting or whether I would like I so I find myself just going to Maccas to get some quick food on the run because it was convenient and I knew what I was getting

Fast food you know you are getting not bad food. New stores you haven't tried can be awesome, average or poor. Sometimes I don't want to risk my food not being good so the chain it is

So cheap food = quality food?

Their chips are still good but the rest of the menu has gone to sh*
I haven’t tried the rest of their menu.

I’m slightly mystified why anyone in Melbourne would frequent bog ordinary American fast food chains when there is such an abundance of low cost food to be had.
I tried to get Hungry Jack for dinner because it was midnight and I couldn’t be ****ed cooking. Mother*er was closed though, even though they got an open 24 hour sign on the *in’ door. Had to have a krispy kreme donut and pot noodles instead.

Otherwise yeah I agree defo go a takeaway curry over fast food any day.

the reason people eat fast food is because it’s vaguely more affordable than most other options and it’s texturally consistent. Also cultural homogeneous. These are huge mitigations of barriers to entry in a world where you’re permanently stressed out 24/7 and you want food to consume as little mental energy as possible

the reason people eat fast food is because it’s vaguely more affordable than most other options and it’s texturally consistent. Also cultural homogeneous. These are huge mitigations of barriers to entry in a world where you’re permanently stressed out 24/7 and you want food to consume as little mental energy as possible
I'm not stressed out, I just like KFC chips

Perhaps a little bit but that's a bit simplistic

I lived in Essendon for 6 & 1/2 years and the Maccas and KFC would always be pumping despite there being hundreds of small food places in very close proximity

Sometimes I find myself not wanting to get out of the car so I go through a drive through place.

Or other times I'm in a new area and want something to eat but I don't want to risk going to a small place and not liking the food, whereas with the chains you know exactly what you are getting.

Or I want my food right now, so going into a place and waiting 10-15 minutes by the time they cook the food is a hassle because either (a) I'm starving or (b) I'm time poor

Even now I'm in the inner west or even when I worked in the city I would find myself going out for lunch and more times than not ending up with subway or a burrito (from Mad Mex). Mad Mex is probably my favorite of the current chains
Fair enough. I think my thing is that I don’t really like most of that food. Mad Mex is okay though. Used to be one at southern cross I think. If I’m right then I have tried it

Actually now I think about it, I do select Maccas at those pit stop places when driving interstate. I don’t drive so breaks for the sole driver become important. There will sometimes be an independent diner type thing as your alternative option but I’ve had horrible experiences. I don’t want to sit at a sticky table for 35 minutes waiting for an under toasted ham cheese and tomato sandwich

Damn this thread, swear to god I'm gonna eat the * out of chippies tonight, red rooster, huxtaburger, kfc even maybe hungry jack and macdonald, I'm trying all of them delicious yellow salt vessels.

Unless of course Red Rooster are doing $2 large chips again in which case im just gonna spend all my dosh there.

I'm not stressed out, I just like KFC chips
I was more responding to the broad popularity of fast food and people who consume it regularly as a regular food source in the face of healthier/better/equally affordable options ie what Proper Gander was probing

OMG how did I forget Lord of the Fries.
They are not as nice as they used to be but their burgers are amazing good for weirdos like me.
Still love their chippies tho, you just gotta make sure u don’t get sucked into sauce of the month.

Also, three cheers for Poutine!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burn City Test Kitchen - South Kingsville (for the non Western suburbers it's bottom.of the Westgate/ Yarraville area)

Brisket was top knotch. My wife reckons her best ever (comes with a chimichurri sauce)
Pork belly with plum sauce
Great chicken
Dill pickle slaw (******* amazing. I can't understate how amazing this was)
Popcorn chicken (pretty meh but it was for the kids)

All in all this is up there with the best. Not normally a fan of trying new things with smoked meats but these guys nailed it!
fbdf80ba94c3887ce2f692ab23120f72.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Burn City Test Kitchen - South Kingsville (for the non Western suburbers it's bottom.of the Westgate/ Yarraville area)

Brisket was top knotch. My wife reckons her best ever (comes with a chimichurri sauce)
Pork belly with plum sauce
Great chicken
Dill pickle slaw (******* amazing. I can't understate how amazing this was)
Popcorn chicken (pretty meh but it was for the kids)

All in all this is up there with the best. Not normally a fan of trying new things with smoked meats but these guys nailed it!
fbdf80ba94c3887ce2f692ab23120f72.jpg

Seriously mate you are a legend, Mr Creosote is "fanging " to meet you! Pinot Noir, is that for the kids? Surely a nice Shiraz?

Seriously mate you are a legend, Mr Creosote is "fanging " to meet you! Pinot Noir, is that for the kids? Surely a nice Shiraz?
hahaha starved myself today for this

Yeah was feeling something light so the Pinot seemed a better option than shiraz. Not normally a wine with smoked meats type of guy but I didn't feel like beer so red it was

On a side note, the Studebaker Pinot Noir was a good drop. $60 it cost but at a quick google search you can get it for $35 a Dans

hahaha starved myself today for this

Yeah was feeling something light so the Pinot seemed a better option than shiraz. Not normally a wine with smoked meats type of guy but I didn't feel like beer so red it was

On a side note, the Studebaker Pinot Noir was a good drop. $60 it cost but at a quick google search you can get it for $35 a Dans
Will try this place! Sounds like it's not BYO.

Mrs Crim works for a wine auction company and can often get wines at 50-60% off retail price. Makes it so hard to go to a non BYO restaurant as I've gone to a few that sell the same wine you can get at Dans for five times the price, or more.

Mrs Crim works for a wine auction company and can often get wines at 50-60% off retail price. Makes it so hard to go to a non BYO restaurant as I've gone to a few that sell the same wine you can get at Dans for five times the price, or more.
Should I open my Bleasedale Premiership Reserve or keep it sealed?

Nah not BYO but definitely worth the effort to visit

Only open Wed - Sun 5pm - 9pm though and it's small so I imagine weekends would need a booking. It's close to my place and taken me ages to try it. I was actually in the city and trying to get into San Antone but couldn't. So I was I'm the car driving to Willy to get pizza as I didn't think it was open on Wednesdays. Thought * it I'll drive passed and see if it is and it was and I'm stoked I went there

Nah not BYO but definitely worth the effort to visit

Only open Wed - Sun 5pm - 9pm though and it's small so I imagine weekends would need a booking. It's close to my place and taken me ages to try it. I was actually in the city and trying to get into San Antone but couldn't. So I was I'm the car driving to Willy to get pizza as I didn't think it was open on Wednesdays. Thought fu** it I'll drive passed and see if it is and it was and I'm stoked I went there

Have you tried burger culture in Willy?

Have you tried burger culture in Willy?
Yeah but not for years, been there a few times though

My wife and I went on a burger hunt through Melbourne for a year or so about 6 years ago. Burger culture isn't anywhere near the top. Can give you some very good recommendations if you want

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back