Retired #39 Paddy McCartin - Thank you Paddy - Always a Blood!

Remove this Banner Ad

It's reasonable to be optimistic that Paddy will show something, but that optimism should also apply to Melican finally getting an injury-free run at it. And if he is, then it's no competition between he and Paddy IMO, as I think the Tom x Melican partnership offers far more flexibility going forward than the Tom x Paddy partnership would (sorry to sound like the debbie downer ruining the McCartin brothers storyline!)
I, like many, have watched Melican through his career and hoped he would be the next Reg. Unlike you, I don't see it happening. Not because of repeat injuries and lengthy reacclimatizations but because of the lack of three really fundamental defensive attributes:
1) Anticipation of when and where the ball is likely to come in. This leads to him being caught out too often.
2) Slowish reactions. Combined with 1) he gets left on the lead far too often. But it also means he can't often peel off to make the third man with any confidence as Rampe often does.
3) Lack of composure. Too often, when caught out he uses physicality rather than technique to try to make up.for it and gives up a free.
You could put a different interpretation on his play, but that's how I see him coming up short of being a top notcher.

I, like many, have watched Melican through his career and hoped he would be the next Reg. Unlike you, I don't see it happening. Not because of repeat injuries and lengthy reacclimatizations but because of the lack of three really fundamental defensive attributes:
1) Anticipation of when and where the ball is likely to come in. This leads to him being caught out too often.
2) Slowish reactions. Combined with 1) he gets left on the lead far too often. But it also means he can't often peel off to make the third man with any confidence as Rampe often does.
3) Lack of composure. Too often, when caught out he uses physicality rather than technique to try to make up.for it and gives up a free.
You could put a different interpretation on his play, but that's how I see him coming up short of being a top notcher.

I don't disagree with any of those points, but I do disagree on where they are applicable. I think he's a completely different player when he's in form to when he is out of form. Not just a sharper version, but a whole separate player. The disparity is that big between his best and worst IMO. But he's shown enough times that at his best, those shortcomings simply aren't a factor. He can stick to an opponent like glue and has a great turn of pace and the ability to read the play well. He wouldn't be on the list, re-signed til 2023, still such a topic of conversation if he simply had all those shortcomings you list.

To me, that means there is something there. Whether he is ever fit enough, and then once fit, consistent enough, to ever tap into that potential, who knows. But I think it is too simplistic to define a player who has only managed 52 games in 7 years by his worst footy, and not his best.

Probably one of the worst number 1s

the guy turns like titanic and struggles to get up and back

his athleticism was shocking at the saints

He's just going to be a rookie list player. I can get going this hard at a guy like you did with Tippett because he was in the top level of pay at the club.

But McCartin is a free swing for us, and that's the situation that Paddy has excelled at.

He played stuff all and was hardly in the best in the vfl site if ever

didn’t take much for him to weak out when getting beaten by a dud
Id be absolutely shocked if his body holds up but at this stage my mind is open.
I assume the club has taken a lot of medical advice ..

But medical advice is just advice.
Nobody really knows.

But all I can do is wish the kid the best of luck!!

Last edited:
Saw no great games from Brand, nor have I seen one from the Human Hammy.

Give me a Paddy who can read and act on the play every day ahead of a Lewis who might be athletic but is a footy dunce.

My expectations are moderate. I expect we will get a decent KPD. beyond his brother Rampe the stocks are bare.
Brand to me stood out more in some games than Paddy did in any. But he probably doesn't get remembered that much because it's just Brand, not a former no.1 pick that some seem to have pinned a lot of hopes on.

He's just going to be a rookie list player. I can get going this hard at a guy like you did with Tippett because he was in the top level of pay at the club.

But McCartin is a free swing for us, and that's the situation that Paddy has excelled at.
I see what you did there, cheeky bugger!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not pick 1, he's not even been drafted. He's on the level of McLean in terms of expectation imo. He'll be picked up in the ssp, he'll be paid a packet of chips, and he'll have to force his way in the team. His only advantage is that we are light on kpd.

The Swans also clearly didn't rate him enough to try and get him through the mid season draft, or we thought it was risky, either way, he ain't the messiah, he's another random bloke on the list who has to prove himself, like everybody else.

Geez Punts. If you had a dollar for every negative post you made, you would have such a tax bill.
I'm beginning to think that Punts is not a Swans supporter at all. He just comes on here to heap shut on the club and it's players. In this case, future players. ;)

Last edited:

I think he’s an excellent pick up for you guys .... hope he can turn himself around in a similar manner to Jesse Hogan for us .... Such free hits are all reward no risk

I think he’s an excellent pick up for you guys .... hope he can turn himself around in a similar manner to Jesse Hogan for us .... Such free hits are all reward no risk
Unless we base other list or drafting decisions on such free hits. I don't know if the club has done this (I would hope not), but there's plenty of fans who seem to think that's all good.

Oh you will be mistaken Punts is about as diehard as they come.
It’s old school. I spend a fair bit of time with my local club in fitness & medical. I’ve started pre-season training with them a few weeks ago. One thing you’ll come across regularly is that older fella who always tells you how it’s not going to work and on a weekly basis how we’re going to lose. It’s just an old school thing. Times have changed dramatically and most younger people think of the positive side of how they’re going to win and how it’s going to all work out. Imo a sporting culture that’s come over from the US. It’s the culture of different generations & used to be the culture of all footy clubs. No1 is wrong & No1 is right imo it’s just opinions and if people put across a coherent argument in either direction its not a big deal imo

I'm beginning to think that Punts is not a Swans supporter at all. He just comes on here to heap shut on the club and it's players. In this case, future players.
No, can't say as I agree, I think he's very passionate about the club but more of a glass half empty type of bloke than most of us.

I myself am and always have been a glass half full person and, at least up until midway next season and the team have shown me otherwise, I am certain we will be premiers and McCartin T and McCartin P will form an impregnable wall in defence and our boys will have the lowest season total in goals kicked against them in the history of the game!

No, can't say as I agree, I think he's very passionate about the club but more of a glass half empty type of bloke than most of us.

I myself am and always have been a glass half full person and, at least up until midway next season and the team have shown me otherwise, I am certain we will be premiers and McCartin T and McCartin P will form an impregnable wall in defence and our boys will have the lowest season total in goals kicked against them in the history of the game!
The comment was made "tongue in cheek". I should have put an appropriate emoji.

McCartin T and McCartin P will form an impregnable wall in defence

I think you can rest easy, I don't think either of them will become pregnant any time soon.

Abstinence only and all that.

Geez Punts. If you had a dollar for every negative post you made, you would have such a tax bill.
Punts Can post however he sees fit. His opinion. I disagree with him too. Reckon this is a good move by us. At the least it puts pressure on spots knowing his experience might push you out.

Punts Can post however he sees fit. His opinion. I disagree with him too. Reckon this is a good move by us. At the least it puts pressure on spots knowing his experience might push you out.
It's been nasty though for some reason , other Swans have belted blokes over the years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back