Play Nice Which club has the biggest supporter base? Collingwood, Richmond or West Coast?

Which club has the biggest supporter base?

• Total voters
Nov 20, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
As a kid growing up and going to the footy in the 70's , it was always Collingwood - Essendon second. Been to games in Perth but cant comment on the West Coast situation cause I don't live there.
Pies fans are still all over the place and you regularly meet them . They are in for some lean years now , so their membership and crowds won't reflect this in the coming years I suspect. Richmond obviously a huge supporter base but were never in the same ball park as the Pies over 30 years ago . Amazing what success does however.
I have never met a person who had Essendon second who grew up in 70's. Born in 79 everyone who I have met older than me had Collingwood then Carlton second. It changed in the mid 90's and now Essendon has legit reasons in claiming to be the second most followed Vic team. I don't agree as some stats prove there are still more Bluebaggers out there.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
As a kid growing up in the 70's and 80's Collingwood had the biggest supporter base comfortably , which was evident at any game you played them. I always thought Essendon was a comfortable second ahead of Carlton /Richmond even though they had a couple of decades in the wilderness pre-Sheedy.
Now - hard to say. We always new if the Tigers won a flag a sleeping giant would awaken. Now they've won 3 , will it flow over into another drought period if that happens??
Suspect the Pies have some lean years ahead so their blockbuster games will show less support. For the die -hard who buys their members ticket and troops off on the weekend to watch their club , they will generally do so regardless of success. For the less motivated however, they will watch it on tv and come back to support when the wheel starts turning and the good times return. And that is why it is hard to gauge the size of supporter bases.

As a kid growing up and going to the footy in the 70's , it was always Collingwood - Essendon second. Been to games in Perth but cant comment on the West Coast situation cause I don't live there.
Pies fans are still all over the place and you regularly meet them . They are in for some lean years now , so their membership and crowds won't reflect this in the coming years I suspect. Richmond obviously a huge supporter base but were never in the same ball park as the Pies over 30 years ago . Amazing what success does however.

Good to see a Saints supporter engaged in this thread, need more neutrals. Sorry, wasn't sure which post to reply to, so thought id quote on both.

Your post intrigued me, re Ess, it was the first time that I have ever heard anyone say that Ess was 2nd to Pies in the 70's, as long as I can remember it was always Coll, Rich and Carl, understandable considering these 3 teams played in 21 GF's from 1967-1982 with Richmond 7 GF's (5 flags), Blues 8 GF's (6 flags), Pies 6 GF's (0 flags). Ess 1968 lost GF. Ess wasn't really spoken about like the other 3 until the mid 80's, 90's and early 2000's, the Sheedy effect who did marvellous things for Ess not only in Vic but national wide. By the time the late '90s and early 2000s came ESS was pretty much No 1, can they do it again time will tell.

Regarding your other point re Coll and Richmond, you are spot on what success does, Of course, we weren't in the same ballpark over 30+ years as we were dormant from 1983 to 2016 (zero GF's) whilst pies, (7 GF's and 2 flags), Ess (7 GF's and 4 flags) and Blues (5 GF's and 2 flags) had their time in the sun.

Luckily for us, we had a successful period in the late 60's, 70's and early 80's "winning flags over 3 different decades" which helped us with our next generation of supporters growing up in the 80's and 90's but due to our very poor form over several decades, many dropped off. I was worried that we could lose some of this generation of support but we had something to keep them somewhat engaged, the theme song, the tiger logo and RICHO.

I think you just answered your own point re Collingwood for Richmond> so their membership and crowds won't reflect this in the coming years I suspect.
Ditto Richmond prior to 2016. I think as a tiger supporter I always knew deep down if we can snag a flag the giant will awaken.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Good to see a Saints supporter engaged in this thread, need more neutrals. Sorry, wasn't sure which post to reply to, so thought id quote on both.

Your post intrigued me, re Ess, it was the first time that I have ever heard anyone say that Ess was 2nd to Pies in the 70's, as long as I can remember it was always Coll, Rich and Carl, understandable considering these 3 teams played in 21 GF's from 1967-1982 with Richmond 7 GF's (5 flags), Blues 8 GF's (6 flags), Pies 6 GF's (0 flags). Ess 1968 lost GF. Ess wasn't really spoken about like the other 3 until the mid 80's, 90's and early 2000's, the Sheedy effect who did marvellous things for Ess not only in Vic but national wide. By the time the late '90s and early 2000s came ESS was pretty much No 1, can they do it again time will tell.

Regarding your other point re Coll and Richmond, you are spot on what success does, Of course, we weren't in the same ballpark over 30+ years as we were dormant from 1983 to 2016 (zero GF's) whilst pies, (7 GF's and 2 flags), Ess (7 GF's and 4 flags) and Blues (5 GF's and 2 flags) had their time in the sun.

Luckily for us, we had a successful period in the late 60's, 70's and early 80's "winning flags over 3 different decades" which helped us with our next generation of supporters growing up in the 80's and 90's but due to our very poor form over several decades, many dropped off. I was worried that we could lose some of this generation of support but we had something to keep them somewhat engaged, the theme song, the tiger logo and RICHO.

I think you just answered your own point re Collingwood for Richmond> so their membership and crowds won't reflect this in the coming years I suspect.
Ditto Richmond prior to 2016. I think as a tiger supporter I always knew deep down if we can snag a flag the giant will awaken.
Agree with risking losing a genaration of support Richo etc... If it was not for Fevola, Betts and Judd ditto Carlton. The years 08 to 12 proved with crowds, TV ratings and other metrics that the Blues were second and allot of old bigfooty posters mention this at that period.

Your a Tiger and Dave is Bomber and it's great to debate with you guys with your valid reasons. I know people at my club who provide me with facts and data to back my argument believe on an even playing field that Carlton is a bigger brand than Essendon and Richmond.

They also believe that the next five years is the most critical in the clubs history. If there is no success then we will lose that generation of supporters.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Well if Roy Morgan shows it then it must be true.

Therefore Sydney = biggest team in the AFL :rolleyes:

For the sake of the discussion it's interesting to divide fans into "casual" and "hardcore".

If we assume everyone on BigFooty is "hardcore" then the ladder looks like this:

Adelaide
Carlton
North Melbourne
Richmond
Collingwood
Port Adelaide
West Coast
Geelong
Hawthorn
Essendon
Fremantle
Bulldogs
Brisbane
Saints
Sydney
Gold Coast
GWS

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I have never met a person who had Essendon second who grew up in 70's. Born in 79 everyone who I have met older than me had Collingwood then Carlton second. It changed in the mid 90's and now Essendon has legit reasons in claiming to be the second most followed Vic team. I don't agree as some stats prove there are still more Bluebaggers out there.
Carlton were a powerhouse in the 70's to early 80's wining many dozen flags flags and playing grand finals Essendon in decline in one of their rare periods of drought. But at Moorabbin games and Waverly games Essendon had more support against the Saints bar all but the Pies. Everyone said it was Collingwood/Carlton as the biggest 2 . But as a fan at the games for me, it was always Essendon quite comfortably. The Sheedy years and success certainly helped of course. But as a young kid , though not successful the Bombers had the bigger support at home and always more than the Blues or Tigers. Buggers used to fill up half the grandstand at Moorabbin !!

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

Yep - we said for many decades imagine if the Tiggies win a flag. Probably make the Pies in 1990 look like a drop in the ocean. :p
To their credit though, they had built to well over 70,000 members before any success. Winning a flag catapulted them into 3 figure membership totals. No surprise from the base they already built pre -success.
I find the Hawthorn membership at a similar 70,000 + after success interesting. Kennett was stating 100,000 members, like the Tigers are now, 4 years ago as an aim. Knowing a lot of Hawthorn fans, personally I just don't see it.
That is why I think it is hard to gauge the Pies now , as I feel there are lean years ahead.

Nov 20, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton were a powerhouse in the 70's to early 80's wining many dozen flags flags and playing grand finals Essendon in decline in one of their rare periods of drought. But at Moorabbin games and Waverly games Essendon had more support against the Saints bar all but the Pies. Everyone said it was Collingwood/Carlton as the biggest 2 . But as a fan at the games for me, it was always Essendon quite comfortably. The Sheedy years and success certainly helped of course. But as a young kid , though not successful the Bombers had the bigger support at home and always more than the Blues or Tigers. Buggers used to fill up half the grandstand at Moorabbin !!
Arrogant buggers filling up half the St Kilda grandstand did not happen at Princes Park though :) Here is a link to a game my older brother his mates(High School age) and thousands of Carlton fans who could not get in because it was a lock out, still a large Carlton crowd inside. The biggest Moorabbin crowd of the 70's and until it closed in 92. 1978 Carlton Vs St Kilda at Moorabbin - YouTube

Over the years I have found Carlton supporters most unpredictable the amount times they rock up last minute to get in is unbelievable. In the 90's Collingwood and Essendon fans would come early get the best seats Carlton fans come late and the MCC have to open the top of the Ponsford to handle the crush outside. Against North in 96 they did not have enough staff to cater for the 68,000 crowd when they estimated 45,000.

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Arrogant buggers filling up half the St Kilda grandstand did not happen at Princes Park though :) Here is a link to a game my older brother his mates(High School age) and thousands of Carlton fans who could not get in because it was a lock out, still a large Carlton crowd inside. The biggest Moorabbin crowd of the 70's and until it closed in 92. 1978 Carlton Vs St Kilda at Moorabbin - YouTube

Over the years I have found Carlton supporters most unpredictable the amount times they rock up last minute to get in is unbelievable. In the 90's Collingwood and Essendon fans would come early get the best seats Carlton fans come late and the MCC have to open the top of the Ponsford to handle the crush outside. Against North in 96 they did not have enough staff to cater for the 68,000 crowd when they estimated 45,000.

Missed the 78 Carlton game at Moorabbin unfortunately . But my personal opinion is as stated. Remember going to the first Sunday game Ess/Coll in 81 and my old Pie supporting dad aghast at it being an Essendon crowd! Even late 70's their presence seemed like a Collingwood crowd to me, unlike the Blues or Tigers. That was my recollections from attending games as a kid.
But yes, the public perception of Melbourne based support was always Collingwood 1, Carlton 2. :thumbsu:

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Melbourne Storm have the 3rd highest NRL membership. Average crowds dwarf most other NRL teams. I’m based in Melbourne and ‘follow’ the Storm as they are the only team in my state, so who else would I ‘follow’? Are Storm a bigger or more popular NRL club than all but 2 in the NRL? There are many ‘numerical’ arguments to say they are. But does a ‘casual’ theatre going Storm follower count the same as a rusted on NRL tragic following the Rabbitohs? This is where analysing supporter bases is not a simple numerical exercise, as there are supporters, and then there are ‘real’ supporters…. they are not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nov 20, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Missed the 78 Carlton game at Moorabbin unfortunately . But my personal opinion is as stated. Remember going to the first Sunday game Ess/Coll in 81 and my old Pie supporting dad aghast at it being an Essendon crowd! Even late 70's their presence seemed like a Collingwood crowd to me, unlike the Blues or Tigers. That was my recollections from attending games as a kid.
But yes, the public perception of Melbourne based support was always Collingwood 1, Carlton 2. :thumbsu:
Interesting my recollections of crowds against Collingwood is there support has dropped off from what I remember in the 80's and 90's. Our home games against them are very pro Carlton these days.

Essendon never outnumbered us until the 90's playing them in the Matty Knights years it was like playing Fremantle 70,000 attend it was 65,000 for the home team.

Richmond in my experiance has the biggest away support out of the three.

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Attendances are a very important measure for supporter base so here are some facts No excuses (pre 2017, post 1983, Carlton playing at Princes Park etc..)

Overall Attendances for of all time
1) Collingwood 65,923,906
2) Carlton 58,489,390
3) Essendon 58,293,209
4) Richmond 56,604,034

I have not forgotten the non Vic Clubs.

Overall Averages of all time
1) Adelaide 32,787
2) Collingwood 32,733
3) West Coast Eagles 29,831
4) Carlton 29,041
5) Essendon 28,930
6) Richmond 28,091

Source AFL tables

Haha… so let’s take the numbers from the year AFTER Richmond made a GF, and the year before they won 3 flags in a 33-year period they won 2 finals. Seems like a reasonable way to get an accurate measurement.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Agree with risking losing a genaration of support Richo etc... If it was not for Fevola, Betts and Judd ditto Carlton. The years 08 to 12 proved with crowds, TV ratings and other metrics that the Blues were second and allot of old bigfooty posters mention this at that period.

Your a Tiger and Dave is Bomber and it's great to debate with you guys with your valid reasons. I know people at my club who provide me with facts and data to back my argument believe on an even playing field that Carlton is a bigger brand than Essendon and Richmond.

They also believe that the next five years is the most critical in the clubs history. If there is no success then we will lose that generation of supporters.

No doubt some players keep supporters engaged. Fevola was a character and Judd was Judd. The mercurial Betts kicking goals from anywhere.
Agree, if another 5-10 years go by with no success you may well lose this generation.

I must say I don't entirely agree with your assertion re blues being a bigger brand but you sure are entitled to your opinion.

We can all plug our own team who is the biggest in Oz or Vic for that matter but Atm Richmond is the biggest club in Vic, by members, by attendances and by revenue that's not even debatable. We basically, reclaimed the title that we had in the early 80's.

When Carl, Ess or Coll can outnumber us in a final or sell out the G with their own supporters against a club like GWS who have no supporters then there can be a genuine claim.
The pies had 2 bites of the cherry V GWS to get close to our attendance of almost 95K v GWS and still couldn't top 80K.
In the 2018 PF, we monstered them in the crowd. I would say right now in Vic the order being, Rich, Col, Ess and Carl but that could well change when Ess and Carl start to seriously challenge for the flag. Bombers had the title in the late 90's, Pies reclaimed it in the 2000s, right up until Richmond finally flexed its muscles in GF's winning a 3 flag dynasty. Now can the blue baggers or the Bombers take the mantle of the current top dog Richmond?

No 1 mantle can chop n change. I cant wait to see bombers and blues in the finals at the G again, packing the stands.

2018 Semi FinalSat 15 Sep 7:25pmPies V GiantsMCG
72504​

2019 Preliminary FinalSat 21 Sep 4:35pmPies V GiantsMCG
77828​

Last edited:

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Melbourne Storm have the 3rd highest NRL membership. Average crowds dwarf most other NRL teams. I’m based in Melbourne and ‘follow’ the Storm as they are the only team in my state, so who else would I ‘follow’? Are Storm a bigger or more popular NRL club than all but 2 in the NRL? There are many ‘numerical’ arguments to say they are. But does a ‘casual’ theatre going Storm follower count the same as a rusted on NRL tragic following the Rabbitohs? This is where analysing supporter bases is not a simple numerical exercise, as there are supporters, and then there are ‘real’ supporters…. they are not the same.

100% - 👍well there are about 1 million AFL memberships and very roughly 100,000 both MCC and AFL members. Some of these are like me and members of both their club and one of MCC or AFL.
I suppose the want and desire to put down your hard earn't is the first litmus test to determine a 'real' supporter.
The second would be the desire attend rail , hail or shine.

Be very interesting the % of these supporters to the fan who watches on TV! :think:

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
No doubt some players keep supporters engaged. Fevola was a character and Judd was Judd. The mercurial Betts kicking goals from anywhere.
Agree, if another 5-10 years go by with no success you may well lose this generation.

I must say I don't entirely agree with your assertion re blues being a bigger brand but you sure are entitled to your opinion.

We can all plug our own team who is the biggest in Oz or Vic for that matter but Atm Richmond is the biggest club in Vic, by members, by attendances and by revenue that's not even debatable. We basically, reclaimed the title that we had in the early 80's.

When Carl, Ess or Coll can outnumber us in a final or sell out the G with their own supporters against a club like GWS who have no supporters then there can be a genuine claim.
The pies had 2 bites of the cherry V GWS to get close to our attendance of almost 95K v GWS and still couldn't top 80K.
In the 2018 PF, we monstered them in the crowd. I would say right now in Vic the order being, Rich, Col, Ess and Carl but that could well change when Ess and Carl start to seriously challenge for the flag. Bombers had the title in the late 90's, Pies reclaimed it in the 2000s, right up until Richmond finally flexed its muscles in GF's winning a 3 flag dynasty. Now can the blue baggers or the Bombers take the mantle of the current top dog Richmond?

I love this, No 1 mantle can chop n change. I cant wait to see bombers and blues in the finals at the G again, packing the stands.

72504​

77828​

I love this, No 1 mantle can chop n change. I cant wait to see bombers and blues in the finals at the G again, packing the stands.

72504​

77828​
I do remember the 95 Es/Rich final at the G. Richmond drowned them in noise and support. I was there and quite amazed.

Nov 20, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Haha… so let’s take the numbers from the year AFTER Richmond made a GF, and the year before they won 3 flags in a 33-year period they won 2 finals. Seems like a reasonable way to get an accurate measurement.

No that's not the case at all previously Richmond posters, Essendon posters, and myself would come up with reasons to justify our argument. I posted the crowds of all time including averages forms out the window eg 1983 to 2017, Essendon the 70's and Carlton's brilliant record over the last 20 years 😁

Nov 20, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

72504​

77828​
Carlton people not only believe it they know they are bigger brand than Richmond and Essendon. They also tell me that the next 5 no success and its over in 20 years time Hawthorn, Richmond, Geelong will pass us in every measure.

Like your facts re crowds no excuses the Pies, Blues, and Bombers if they get success they should match and even surpass Richmond. Not sure what happened with the Pies demographics?? weather??? I dont know

If the Tiges played GWS in a prelim next year at 4:35 on a freezing cold day would they get 94,000 again?

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You are kidding yourself if you think any of the other vic clubs have more support than Richmond and Collingwood. I would not be surprised if Richmond hit 150k members in my lifetime if that is even possible without a wait list, they are that big.

Give it another 5-10 years and the Hawks and Geelong will probably be past Carlton for good I reckon.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Carlton people not only believe it they know they are bigger brand than Richmond and Essendon. They also tell me that the next 5 no success and its over in 20 years time Hawthorn, Richmond, Geelong will pass us in every measure.

Like your facts re crowds no excuses the Pies, Blues, and Bombers if they get success they should match and even surpass Richmond. Not sure what happened with the Pies demographics?? weather??? I dont know

If the Tiges played GWS in a prelim next year at 4:35 on a freezing cold day would they get 94,000 again?

Mate, I'm struggling to find on any measure where Carlton has Richmond covered, membership?, attendances?, Revenue?, Social Media numbers?, TV ratings?, Merchandise sales? No on ALL counts.

Sorry, but the pies have had success, between 2010-2018 played in 4 GF's, 1 flag, 1 draw and 2 losses), too many excuses given to Pies.
Bombers and Blues, who knows, you may or you may not because at the moment it's all hearsay whether you can match or surpass Richmond once success comes.

We have done it already almost 95K V GWS, so we do not have to prove ourselves. I can understand that weather can play a part even in finals give or take 5-10K, but it didn't just happen once for them it was twice V GWS. I'm more than confident to say that we would top at least 85K in any weather.

It's one thing bringing half your fans, another altogether when looking to fill the majority of the stadium with your own fans, we did it.
I recall saying to a few pies fans if you got 85K that would be the pass mark, but they couldn't top 80K on both occasions (72K & 77k).

It's been good engaging with you, as it is with Dave10, we are all passionate about our teams and there will always be a leaning of sorts in our posting towards our own!

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

We won't know till Carlton become a powerhouse again. And that's not an if but a when cause at some stage it will happen - things go in cycles and eventually it will happen.
Good to see that old Carlton arrogance from the 70's, 80's and 90's is still there. And it is. 👌My Carlton mates my age [ i'm mid 50's] still have it deep down in their bowels. They still have that belief[ has been tested the last couple of decades] that the Blues can dominate the comp as they once did.

Their support level. Not so sure. We will have to wait for their resurgence. :think:

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
No that's not the case at all previously Richmond posters, Essendon posters, and myself would come up with reasons to justify our argument. I posted the crowds of all time including averages forms out the window eg 1983 to 2017, Essendon the 70's and Carlton's brilliant record over the last 20 years

Apologies … I misread it as taking crowds from 1983-2017 only.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Reckon the lines get blurred between profile / fan base membership base.

Actual membership numbers would obviously be wc/rich at the minute, even then there are nuances as to the why - for example wc in a 2 club state, rich after decades of starvation.

Arguably the highest profile is the pies - not just footy but maybe even in the country. There are no nuances there, success has been very very rare for this club and no one has an answer as to why - still, this club has such a profile and a healthy member base.

Same with blues / bombers, still a high profile and member base and have been starved for a long long time.

I have previously put in a thread questioning the phenomenon as to why the pies still hold this profile, there were no discernible answers imo.

Back