AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
FMJ0F5IVgAMd3BX

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Two mid-priced defenders I'm looking at are Daniel Rioli ($336k) and Nick Blakey ($325k)

Rioli's taken over Houli's spot and has already shown a significant uptick in scoring, can't see how he's not a good pick. Blakey looked a lot better when he moved to defence last year. Scoring still wasn't great but he should be filling the role left by Dawson next year so that could change dramatically.

Thoughts?

I would have thought Justin McInerney 411k D/M would be a better option to take over from Dawson, from a SC perspective at least. Blakey's never been much of an accumulator.

People sleeping on Ridley.
Coincidentally, just heard his name in a review.
They were saying that with Kelly coming in and Hurley returning, he shapes as a very good option.
Well spotted 👍

Sep 3, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Two mid-priced defenders I'm looking at are Daniel Rioli ($336k) and Nick Blakey ($325k)

Rioli's taken over Houli's spot and has already shown a significant uptick in scoring, can't see how he's not a good pick. Blakey looked a lot better when he moved to defence last year. Scoring still wasn't great but he should be filling the role left by Dawson next year so that could change dramatically.

Thoughts?
Blakey didn't really have a set role, floated a bit between a wing role and a role across HB. Seems to have durability issues and not sure he's getting to 90-95.
Coniglio, Rayner, Berry, Gresham types probably all have more upside and come at a lower price.

Jayden Short???
Houli has retired, yeah? Don't think it makes Short 10 pts better, but might give him a slight uptick. He in anyone's side?

May 4, 2015
South-East Melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nuggets, Giants, Arsenal
Jayden Short???
Houli has retired, yeah? Don't think it makes Short 10 pts better, but might give him a slight uptick. He in anyone's side?
Love Shorty! Think he’s safer with maybe less upside than a Ridley/Whitfield of course. Down to what you prefer at likely D3

Feb 18, 2017
Wurundjeri Land
AFL Club
Richmond
The Dons messed around with his role a bit in the back end of the season IIRC.

It’s put a couple of question marks in my mind about starting him.

So many good back line options. Looks like there are 12-15 players who are all a lock to be top 6 down back . . .

Feb 18, 2017
Wurundjeri Land
AFL Club
Richmond
Two mid-priced defenders I'm looking at are Daniel Rioli ($336k).

Rioli's taken over Houli's spot and has already shown a significant uptick in scoring, can't see how he's not a good pick.

Thoughts?
Not really enough of an uptick to take him with much confidence I would have thought.

Also, I’m not sure that he’s ever been 100% right since breaking his foot in 2017 premiership.

turtles

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Whitfield may not be as injury prone as i thought:
2015: 21/22 games. Missed 1 through illness
2016: 21/24 games. Missed 3 due to tonsillitis
2017: 18/25 games. Missed 7 games due to drug suspension
2018: 24/24 games.
2019: 19/26 games. Missed 1 due to illness, 6 due to collarbone
2020: 17/17 games
2021: 17/24 games. Missed 1 due to concussion. 6 due to liver

if it weren't for the drug ban and illness 5 of his last 7 season he would have played every game

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Waiting to see what their backline is going to look like with Hurley back and who's playing what role. I felt Ridley's role seemed different at the end of last season compared to the start when he was pumping out big numbers but I could be wrong... Far too many unknowns for Essendon's backline at the moment and this includes Heppell.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Waiting to see what their backline is going to look like with Hurley back and who's playing what role. I felt Ridley's role seemed different at the end of last season compared to the start when he was pumping out big numbers but I could be wrong... Far too many unknowns for Essendon's backline at the moment and this includes Heppell.
Surely Hurley back and Jake Kelly coming in free's up Ridley .....still fence sitting Ridley & Crisp, I keep chopping & changing ....may come down to Crisp's DPP status helping more ??

Last edited:
Surely Hurley back and Jake Kelly coming in free's up Ridley .....still fence sitting Ridley & Crisp, I keep chopping & changing ....may come down to Crisp's DPP status helping more ??
Frost has DPP?

🔐

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Longmuir was positive about the shape Chapman returned in for the start of pre-season, he also provided insight into his specific roles for the 2022 season.

I think Heath can play a variety of roles, at a pinch he could probably play as a 3rd back key position type player.”

“But he could also play as a high-back.”

“He’s returned in really good shape, he’s put on a lot of weight especially his lower body strength over his time out.”

“His competitiveness & his drive off half-back has really shone trough, really happy with the position he’s in.” Longmuir said.

Chapman averaged 14.2 Disposals, 4.5 Marks & 1.7 Tackles from 6 games in 2021.

Longmuir also re-confirmed Jordan Clark will start at half-back.

Back